IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

13 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I also used a lot of disposable dishes when I didn't have a dishwasher.  

Now I have a dishwasher/cat nap spot, apparently:

Hide contents

2133862300_VWMG40081.thumb.JPG.c6a9a01e4b45b6c5532488512050933a.JPG

I also talked theology with my 2.5 year old niece over the weekend, but we talked about how Jesus died on the cross and it was sad, he had a crown made of ouchies, but it's OK because he came back and now we can all go live with him after we die (and that's where her great papa is).  Spurgeon is clearly into more advanced curriculum than my "ouchie crown".  

My parents got one of these after the kids moved out.  More than once the sink drain wasn't open enough and the kitchen floor got accidentally "washed."

No cat, though .

• Upvote 1

@Georgia3112,  the first dishwasher my parents ever had was a portable one.  I love how those old portables had butcher block tops. perfect for cat naps, among other thing,s if you wipe the cat hair off first.  I love that scallop over the sink, too.  We've got one in our current kitchen that I'd like to save, if possible, but your is nicer.

• I Agree 1

To whoever commented on wringer washers being dangerous... They are. A relative lost the tip of her finger to one.

@PennySycamore, try a countertop one! That's what my BIL and SIL had in their apartment. Ate up counter space instead of giving it, but much better than hand-washing.

I have to admit, I'm kind of looking forward to having a dishwasher with kid #2, just because that way I won't be hand-washing bottles and pump parts (as much...). We didn't have one when we moved into the house and only installed it in the last year, and it is wonderful!

• Upvote 3

If I don't have a dishwasher, you ain't eating cuz I ain't cooking! I can't remember the last time I didn't have a dishwasher, it was a requirement in every house I've lived in. That no-dishwasher bullshit ain't happening here, no "dishpan hands" either! We haven't had an icemaker in awhile and it doesn't please me. Our next house will have an icemaker, a large freezer (haven't been to Trader Joe's due to no freezer space), a larger fridge, dishwasher and garbage disposal. Yes, I'm a totally lazy, picky, spoiled little bitch...and I don't care!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 1

How common are garbage disposals? Do you put ALL garbage in them or just certain kinds? I hear them talked about online and in books but I don’t actually know anyone who has one - but then, garbage systems differ so much from area to area, so I don’t really know what they’re for. I have 4 bins in my kitchen: 1 for food scraps, lined with compostable bags; 1 for general recycling, aluminium, cans, paper, cardboard, hard plastic like milk or soda bottles etc; 1 for soft plastics recycling (anything scrunchable like cereal bags, cling wrap, general packaging); and 1 for “rubbish” i.e. everything else. The council does weekly bin pickups for the food scraps (which goes in the same bin as grass clippings & other outdoor stuff) that then gets taken to a hot-composting facility, and fortnightly pickups on alternate weeks for the general recycling and rubbish. The soft plastics take more effort because we actually have to take them to a drop off point, but there’s one at my husband’s work so it’s pretty easy.

• Upvote 9

43 minutes ago, Smee said:

How common are garbage disposals? Do you put ALL garbage in them or just certain kinds? I hear them talked about online and in books but I don’t actually know anyone who has one - but then, garbage systems differ so much from area to area, so I don’t really know what they’re for. I have 4 bins in my kitchen: 1 for food scraps, lined with compostable bags; 1 for general recycling, aluminium, cans, paper, cardboard, hard plastic like milk or soda bottles etc; 1 for soft plastics recycling (anything scrunchable like cereal bags, cling wrap, general packaging); and 1 for “rubbish” i.e. everything else. The council does weekly bin pickups for the food scraps (which goes in the same bin as grass clippings & other outdoor stuff) that then gets taken to a hot-composting facility, and fortnightly pickups on alternate weeks for the general recycling and rubbish. The soft plastics take more effort because we actually have to take them to a drop off point, but there’s one at my husband’s work so it’s pretty easy.

Garbage disposals are for soft food scraps. (My mother, who doesn’t have one, once clogged mine with an artichoke.) They’re often found in urban homes where it’s not feasible to compost. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, Smee said:

I do recycle but this is far too complicated a system for me and I don't have that kind of space in my kitchen. I do have a garbage disposal, the only thing I don't put in it is bones.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

In British houses there is generally no dishwasher, so people just grumpily wash their dishes.

They getting more common here but in a lot of smaller houses their is not a lot of space for a dishwasher, especially since washing machines are often in the kitchen in older homes due to their being no laundry room.

My parents bought our dishwasher when I was 19, my sister and her boyfriend were living with us and she was pregnant with my nephew and with 5 adults in the house and newborn that was using bottles, it came in handy but when my nephew was 3 months old they moved in with her boyfriend's  mother. We found then it was quicker just to wash the dishes by hand than loading it, running a cycle and unloading it for only 3 sets of plates and cutlery and one or two pots. Most of the time it's only dinner we eat at home. 

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, feministxtian said:

If I don't have a dishwasher, you ain't eating cuz I ain't cooking! I can't remember the last time I didn't have a dishwasher, it was a requirement in every house I've lived in. That no-dishwasher bullshit ain't happening here, no "dishpan hands" either! We haven't had an icemaker in awhile and it doesn't please me. Our next house will have an icemaker, a large freezer (haven't been to Trader Joe's due to no freezer space), a larger fridge, dishwasher and garbage disposal. Yes, I'm a totally lazy, picky, spoiled little bitch...and I don't care!

I think I  ❤️ You! Once you live with those conveniences, going back to living without them seems asinine, insane and backasswards all rolled into one. Yep, spoiled rotten all right.  

• Upvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Love 1

Good question [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

I live in a municipality in Southern Sweden where everyone is required to AT HOME (in a communal recycling room or in bins in their driveway) recycle [emoji3534] compost [emoji3534] plastic [emoji3534] metal [emoji3534] paper [emoji3534] cardboard [emoji3534] clear glass [emoji3534] colored glass [emoji3534] batteries [emoji3534] small electronics and [emoji3544] general waste (everything else). And at the RECYCLING CENTER we also have [emoji3534] chemicals and toxic waste [emoji3534] garden waste [emoji3534] building materials [emoji3534] large electronics [emoji3534] wood etc

We have 5 different bins in our kitchen, and compost besides that. It’s a way of life really [emoji2368]
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 10

Garbage disposals are common in the US, even non-fancy kitchens have them. Unfortunately, recycling is still optional in many places. I'm so used to recycling that I could not throw a can or bottle in the trash without feeling guilty. My community is about to have its' annual Recyclepalooza where things that can't be left curbside are taken and properly disposed of. It is a very popular event.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, is.it.real said:

Good question emoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.png

I live in a municipality in Southern Sweden where everyone is required to AT HOME (in a communal recycling room or in bins in their driveway) recycle emoji3534.png compost emoji3534.png plastic emoji3534.png metal emoji3534.png paper emoji3534.png cardboard emoji3534.png clear glass emoji3534.png colored glass emoji3534.png batteries emoji3534.png small electronics and emoji3544.png general waste (everything else). And at the RECYCLING CENTER we also have emoji3534.png chemicals and toxic waste emoji3534.png garden waste emoji3534.png building materials emoji3534.png large electronics emoji3534.png wood etc

We have 5 different bins in our kitchen, and compost besides that. It’s a way of life really emoji2368.png

It is pretty much the same here in Finland. 

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Garbage disposals are common in the US, even non-fancy kitchens have them. Unfortunately, recycling is still optional in many places. I'm so used to recycling that I could not throw a can or bottle in the trash without feeling guilty. My community is about to have its' annual Recyclepalooza where things that can't be left curbside are taken and properly disposed of. It is a very popular event.

And when it is available you have to pay extra for it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

No, not everywhere. It's a big country, after all. I've lived in multiple areas where it was required, thus, not fee-based. Currently I am one block away from city recycling, so it's $3 a month.

China is taking less recyclable material because mixed bin policies have made it much dirtier, and a lot of it has to be rejected. Because of this, some companies are taking less material, but I wish they'd just go back to sorting, instead. 

We do get frequent notices cautioning people not to put greasy pizza box lids in; the oil ruins everything.

Edited by backyard sylph
Addition
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I d recycle but this is far too complicated a system for me and I don't have that kind of space in my kitchen. I do have a garbage disposal, the only thing I don't put in it is bones.

you get accustomed to it pretty quickly. I've always found the space in my tiny urban kitchens, usually having one container which I collect all recyclables into, then separating them into the communal recycling bins every few days. It's easy and quickly becomes habit. I don't really know anybody who doesn't bother, and if I did I'd seriously look askance at them. It's quite selfish not to when the whole system is there. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

you get accustomed to it pretty quickly. I've always found the space in my tiny urban kitchens, usually having one container which I collect all recyclables into, then separating them into the communal recycling bins every few days. It's easy and quickly becomes habit. I don't really know anybody who doesn't bother, and if I did I'd seriously look askance at them. It's quite selfish not to when the whole system is there. 

I have a recycling container in my kitchen next to the trash can, so two containers. No room for anymore. I take the small recycling container and empty it into the large rollout recycling bin provided by my trash hauler, who picks it up every two weeks. You get used to whatever is normal to you.

• Upvote 5

We have recycling here. I have two trash bins in my kitchen cleverly labeled with a "T" and an "R". Trash goes in one and recyclables go in the other. They then get dumped into the larger collection bins in the garage and are picked up weekly. Our trash bin is usually less than half full while our recycle bin is often overflowing. The recycling gets dumped into the big bin pretty much every day while the trash gets dumped maybe twice a week. Our trash/water/sewer/recycle bill is about 55 bucks a month. 

Garbage disposals: mine gets used for food type stuff. Like, scraping off the plates, leftovers, etc. To keep it smelling good (because it can get quite stinky) I put citrus fruit rinds into it, like orange, lemon, etc. When it chops them up and releases the oils, the whole downstairs smells quite lovely. 

• Upvote 5

We don't have a built in garbage disposal system but we have a compost bin in the garden and a red bin for for food and garden waste that the council collects every few weeks. Our council provides 4 plastic Wheely bins for different types of waste, one bin for plastic metal and glass, one for paper and card, general waste and food and garden waste. We can also get them to uplift larger items that can't go in any of the bins for a small charge. South Lanarkshire council are pretty good in that respect.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Garbage disposals are for soft food scraps. (My mother, who doesn’t have one, once clogged mine with an artichoke.) They’re often found in urban homes where it’s not feasible to compost. 

My friend just had a huge smelly mess in her house because her pipes got clogged from hard boiled eggs that she threw down there. She learned the hard way to never put eggs down it! 

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 5

7 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

In British houses there is generally no dishwasher, so people just grumpily wash their dishes.

Wut? In my 30 something years, most of which I've lived in Britain, every house and apartment I lived in (except one) has had a dishwasher. 

Since moving to rural farm country a few years ago, I do know several people, most from an older generation, who have a dishwasher but don't use it. They think it's pointless to run it or takes to long to fill up.

Our local council recently changed our garbage collection so recycling is every week but general waste (black bags) are every other week. They also sent out new recycling guidelines which are wildly complicated and have caused chaos. 

Edited by HideousGreenShirt
Additional thought
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

My city joined a recycling thing for plastics that aren't valuable enough to recycle the traditional way. We put the low value plastics in a separate orange bag. The bag goes in the top of the regular recycling cart. Then all the orange bags get sent to Salt Lake City and turned into synthetic diesel. I often wonder if it's working the way it's supposed to, because if it is, maybe it can become more widespread.

I haven't had a kitchen with a garbage disposal since I moved out of my parents' house. The one there wasn't very powerful, so we only used it for small scraps that were a pain to scrape out of the sink.

I wish we could participate in the city composting program, but our trash and recycling bill is paid through our landlord, and for some reason, the landlord chose not to let us participate in the composting program. I kind of ticks me off every time I throw away an apple core or a banana peel. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

I can't decide whether to put a disposal in our kitchen reno.  If were just me, I'd not have one because I scrape my plates thoroughly, but my husband grew up with one and had never understood in 40 years of marriage that WE DON'T HAVE A DISPOSAL.  He fairly regularly put dishes and pots in the sink that have food on them.  Then I have to clean that food out.  It's gross!  I do want a waste grinder in my dishwasher (Some Kitchen-Aid DWs have them) so I don't have to clean the filter.

@feministxtian's post reminds me to ask:

Does anyone make an adjustable ice maker for those of us who don't need that much ice?  

• Upvote 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic