IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

13 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Like Toronto? There are so many great lingerie shops in the city.  My big busted BFF goes there even though Buffalo is probably closer to her place.

Depends on where you are in Southwestern Ontario. Some places are decently close to Toronto, but if you're in 'extreme' Southwestern Ontario, it's way quicker and easier to go to the States to shop (it takes me 10 minutes to get to the States but at least 3 1/2 hours to get to Toronto). Most people I know aren't doing it as much these days what with the dollar, but there's no question the selection for things like lingerie is much better over there.

Edited by singsingsing
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Abstract, if some Duggar kids get to read Watership Down, that is a very good thing.   The rabbits have their own language and culture including their own gods.  The young rabbit, Fiver, is a seer who knows that the rabbits of Sandleford Warren must find a new warren because their home is about to be destroyed.  Watership Down is a  pretty magical book for the Duggarlings to be reading.  

I didn't even think of that. I love Watership Down, but wow it would probably freak the Duggars out. I wonder if they strip the curriculum of all the books with magic and talking animals. That would be a shame.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Like Toronto? There are so many great lingerie shops in the city.  My big busted BFF goes there even though Buffalo is probably closer to her place.

No - closer to Detroit. Toronto would be great - but I'm a good four hours from there.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

IMG_5693.thumb.PNG.d7921d6f67eaec00ba93b087fbcf1dcd.PNG

From Jessa's instagram story. 

Edited by Carm_88
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

I swear I read boobs instead of books at first. Either way works I suppose ;) He really is a regular cherub. I don’t blame Jessa for keeping those glorious curls .

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1

What's up with Jessa's sudden interest in sustainability and the environment? I am into this. I'm a pretty hardcore environmentalist (ugh....I really don't like describing myself that way), and I like that she's taking an interest,  even if she's only making baby steps at this point.  I hope it's genuine concern and not just so she can make money.

• Upvote 17

Henry really looks like a little blond version of Spurge from that angle!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

36 minutes ago, TZmom said:

What's up with Jessa's sudden interest in sustainability and the environment? I am into this. I'm a pretty hardcore environmentalist (ugh....I really don't like describing myself that way), and I like that she's taking an interest,  even if she's only making baby steps at this point.  I hope it's genuine concern and not just so she can make money.

I honestly don't give to many shits why anyone decides to become more "earth conscious". Maybe she is truly concerned about leaving a good planet for her children to live on, maybe someone finally figured out that God made this earth we should treat lit like his temple, so some shit that would make fundies go OHHHH yeah!  As I said, I don't care if they do it for God, for people, the planet, the animals, the flying spaghetti monster, or because they are obsessive neat freaks, as long as they are doing it.  Honestly every little bit helps, if she could convince her mother to stop with the styrofome landfill she creates every week at the TTH that would be AWESOME! 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 10

I don't read the Duggar threads much, so it must have been the Boob Signal that called me over today.

@Meggo  I'm not in Ontario,so I know nothing about local stores in your area, but my go-to Canadian  websites for bras that fit  bigger sizes are either Forever Yours (their actual store is near me in BC) or Victoria's Attic (their actual store is in Alberta. )  Both have a good selection of brands and sizes.  The prices are not what my sister pays for her wispy little piece of crap bras from Walmart or wherever, but she can get away with that because she has little mini boobs.  I need something better made, with some serious bra construction technology. When I find one I like that is comfortable and fits, it's so worth it.  I like Goddess and Elomi brands, but that will depend on what fits you.  I lIke Prima  Donna too, but those are definitely a spurge.   It's always better if you can get in to a store for a proper fitting, but online can work if you follow their instructions for proper measurement.  

We are going to Southern Ontario this summer for a little road trip. We are not much feeling like venturing into the land of Trump at the moment (apologies to the many good people of the USA -it's specifically Trump and his followers we don't like, the rest of you have my sympathy) and we have been to quite a lot of the rest of Canada lately, so it was time to start exploring Ontario.  We are starting in Hamilton (Mr PPOD lived there as a child ) and going west and south-ish from there.)  Looks like lots of interesting towns/small cities and countryside with lots of history.  I'm looking forward to it!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I honestly don't give to many shits why anyone decides to become more "earth conscious". 

If it's genuine,  I don't care either.  I just worry about her promoting some green washing company to appeal to her followers who may be interested in environmental concerns but aren't very educated on the subject.   Like a lot of us who want to go zero waste buy things we think we need in the beginning instead of using up what we already have.  

I don't know if I'm being clear here,  I just hope it's genuine concern on her part. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, TZmom said:

If it's genuine,  I don't care either.  I just worry about her promoting some green washing company to appeal to her followers who may be interested in environmental concerns but aren't very educated on the subject.   Like a lot of us who want to go zero waste buy things we think we need in the beginning instead of using up what we already have.  

I don't know if I'm being clear here,  I just hope it's genuine concern on her part. 

Yep. The focus should be on REUSE, reduce and finally recycle!

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Do y'all really think she recycled Spurge's Starbucks cup?

Or cloth diapered any of her kids? Not.a.chance.

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Or cloth diapered any of her kids? Not.a.chance.

Baby steps. She may want to do the right thing but not be fully committed yet. It takes time. 

Personally speaking, when I decided to go zero waste (or as close as possible, i'm still not perfect), I started noticing plastic everywhere. She needs a little seed planted in her brain and maybe she'll start to come around. Or maybe not. I have hope, but the Duggars have always disappointed me.

• Upvote 16

3 hours ago, TZmom said:

Baby steps. She may want to do the right thing but not be fully committed yet. It takes time. 

Personally speaking, when I decided to go zero waste (or as close as possible, i'm still not perfect), I started noticing plastic everywhere. She needs a little seed planted in her brain and maybe she'll start to come around. Or maybe not. I have hope, but the Duggars have always disappointed me.

Hell, if she just notices how much Styrofoam her parents use, that in itself would be a miracle.

• Upvote 16

35 minutes ago, karen77 said:

Hell, if she just notices how much Styrofoam her parents use, that in itself would be a miracle.

Right now I’m visiting my second home in So.America. We have no dishwasher, so hand washing dishes it is. I told my daughter I was buying some paper products  and she shrieked, “no styrofoam.” I did find environmentally friendly paper and did buy a package for lunch and snack purposes. I just can’t cook and wash all day long.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Right now I’m visiting my second home in So.America. We have no dishwasher, so hand washing dishes it is. I told my daughter I was buying some paper products  and she shrieked, “no styrofoam.” I did find environmentally friendly paper and did buy a package for lunch and snack purposes. I just can’t cook and wash all day long.

It's been 3 years since we have had a dishwasher and I do feel like all I do is wash dishes sometimes but we try to avoid paper products unless we are having a large group over (we only have like 10 plates, so if we are having more people than that paper it is!) We didn't have a dishwasher when we lived in Italy either, but at that point it was just my husband, our infant and myself so it wasn't too bad. Now, we have 3 kids and I swear they get out a new cup for every sip of water they take. Drives me crazy! We move in about a month and we were talking about what each of us feels is important in the next house and my 9 year old wants a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. 

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I think it's one thing to use them occasionally, especially when on holiday but I do think people that exclusively use them and have no disabilities or issues are lazy. We had no dishwasher until I was about 18 or 19 and we managed fine without one, now that it's just myself and my parents we rarely use the dishwasher because I find it quicker just to wash the dishes and put them away, plus I hate loading and unloading it. 

Jim Bob and Michelle have a commercial kitchen that can wash dishes in minutes and between them all they can take chances loading it and they still use disposable plates.

Just to add, I have nothing against people using dishwashers, I personally prefer not to use ours because their are only 3 people in the house and we only eat one meal at home a day. Regarding paper or disposable plates, I have no issue with people using them for occasions or they are on holiday or other situations where they needed. My issue is that people who can use and wash plates, either by hand or by dishwasher are buying them and using them all the time, most paper and styrofoam plates can't be recycled and only a few of the brand's are compostable, that is a lot of waste that can be avoided.

Edited by Glasgowghirl
Adding information
  • Upvote 12

I think it's one thing to use them occasionally, especially when on holiday but I do think people that exclusively use them and have no disabilities or issues are lazy. We had no dishwasher until I was about 18 or 19 and we managed fine without one, now that it's just myself and my parents we rarely use the dishwasher because I find it quicker just to wash the dishes and put them away, plus I hate loading and unloading it. 

The dishwasher, like the laundry machine, were technological innovations that change women’s lives. When the dishwasher become common women got more time. To work, to teach, to study. This video shows how the laundry machine changed everything.

http://

In addition to the liberation part of the technical evolution, the pipes love a dishwasher! The high temperature water cleans the pipes from fat residues and keeps them unclogged.

To say that people who use dishwashers are lazy it an insult IMHO. It’s a choice (if you have the money to invest in one) that can make it possible to read a book, spend quality time with your family or make time for other chores. And to hand wash dishes is also a choice. Let’s leave it at that.
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 7

18 minutes ago, is.it.real said:

The dishwasher, like the laundry machine, were technological innovations that change women’s lives. When the dishwasher become common women got more time. To work, to teach, to study. This video shows how the laundry machine changed everything.

In addition to the liberation part of the technical evolution, the pipes love a dishwasher! The high temperature water cleans the pipes from fat residues and keeps them unclogged.

To say that people who use dishwashers are lazy it an insult IMHO. It’s a choice (if you have the money to invest in one) that can make it possible to read a book, spend quality time with your family or make time for other chores. And to hand wash dishes is also a choice. Let’s leave it at that.

I wasn't saying people that use dishwashers are lazy I was saying people that use paper plates all the time that have no disabilities or other issues are lazy.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

Call me lazy then. LOL We are having issues with our septic tank, and was told to SEVERELY limit the amount of water that the Free family uses.  So, we are using paper plates, plastic cups, and plastic utensils, as well as limiting our shower time, until the septic company can come out to fix it all.   

Jessa and Ben sure do make beautiful babies.  Those boys are adorable.

• Upvote 4

Just now, freealljs said:

Call me lazy then. LOL We are having issues with our septic tank, and was told to SEVERELY limit the amount of water that the Free family uses.  So, we are using paper plates, plastic cups, and plastic utensils, as well as limiting our shower time, until the septic company can come out to fix it all.   

Jessa and Ben sure do make beautiful babies.  Those boys are adorable.

That is not laziness, that is making the best of a bad situation.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 14

I'd love to know which books he is interested in. Hopefully not what Jill and Derick tried with their kids. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, is.it.real said:

I was telling my husband the exact same thing. Our 2nd home is in a developing nation where many ladies still do not work , and those that do, or who can afford it, have live in help. There is literally no need for a mechanical dishwasher here and homes are not equipped for such. I guess if I only ate 1 meal a day in, it might be palatable, but not cooking and dishes  + snacks when we are babysitting the grandkid, like we are now. 

• WTF 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic