IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

Idk where you guys live but in NYC, we don’t have dishwashers or garbage disposals. Some buildings don’t even have laundromats lol

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

We are moving to the dessert this month and I am hoping we find a place with a area of the year that it is out of the way to put up a clothes line.

Hanging clothes outside in the summer, in the desert, is great. They, no joke, dry in minutes. However, be prepared to deal with sand. I used to hang clothes on our pool fence in PHX. They dried in minutes. It was great avoiding moldy pool towels, just hang them on the fence, wait 15 minutes and they were ready to go. Can't wait to have that again!

• Upvote 9

@feministxtian.  I remember hanging diapers and the first ones I hung would be dry by the time I finished.  This wasn't in the Desert Southwest either, but in upstate South Carolina.

@backyard sylph,  thanks for pointing out that it's not recommended to pre-rinse dishes before you put them in the dishwasher.  and @nausicaa, it's fine to be fine with not wanting a dishwasher.  I don't mind the work of washing dishes, but my hands do.  I wish dishwasher drawers worked better because their small size would be perfect for us.  

In our kitchen reno,  I'm going to have double ovens (our old stove has a double oven of sorts) and a Wolf 36" cooktop with a wok grate.  I'd thought about Blue Star and it would be fine for me, but my husband is a messy cook.  The Wolf will be easier to clean.  Yes, it's a splurge, but I've waited 11 years for this renovation.  I'd prefer a counter depth fridge, but it's not that important.  We recently had to buy a new microwave (I'd have been fine without one) as our old one bit the dust one night.  I suggested to my husband that he could make his oatmeal the next morning on the stove.  Nope, we had to go out an a buy a new microwave.  At Target. Because Lowe's was about to close.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Idk where you guys live but in NYC, we don’t have dishwashers or garbage disposals. Some buildings don’t even have laundromats lol

I'm in Brooklyn and I have both it's crazy!! The dishwasher was like a miracle, but as I said before the garbage disposal was a mystery to me at first. I think moving in was basically the first time I'd ever encountered one because...yeah NYC doesn't really do garbage disposals.

• Upvote 6

@PennySycamore, my mother-in-law has a smaller kitchen, so she has a small dishwasher that's mostly marketed to condominium owners. She was relieved to be able to find a new one when her old one broke a few years ago. The dishwasher is narrower than a standard one, and the top rack is shallower than the bottom one, so it fits under the side of the sink with the garbage disposal.

I've lived with a dishwasher and without one, but I prefer life with one. When I was growing up, my family of 6 had periods without a dishwasher, and none of us enjoyed that. The years I lived alone, I hand washed every dish I ever used, and I didn't care for it. About a year after we got married, my husband and I got a dishwasher. Even when it took us 5 or 6 days to use enough dishes to run a full load, I preferred it that way. I can easily respect other people's choice to hand wash all their dishes, but I hope they can respect my choice to use a machine for the majority of mine.

Even if I do it while wearing shoes indoors, and eating a crunchy peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 7
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@feministxtian.  I remember hanging diapers and the first ones I hung would be dry by the time I finished.  This wasn't in the Desert Southwest either, but in upstate South Carolina.

@backyard sylph,  thanks for pointing out that it's not recommended to pre-rinse dishes before you put them in the dishwasher.  and @nausicaa, it's fine to be fine with not wanting a dishwasher.  I don't mind the work of washing dishes, but my hands do.  I wish dishwasher drawers worked better because their small size would be perfect for us.  

In our kitchen reno,  I'm going to have double ovens (our old stove has a double oven of sorts) and a Wolf 36" cooktop with a wok grate.  I'd thought about Blue Star and it would be fine for me, but my husband is a messy cook.  The Wolf will be easier to clean.  Yes, it's a splurge, but I've waited 11 years for this renovation.  I'd prefer a counter depth fridge, but it's not that important.  We recently had to buy a new microwave (I'd have been fine without one) as our old one bit the dust one night.  I suggested to my husband that he could make his oatmeal the next morning on the stove.  Nope, we had to go out an a buy a new microwave.  At Target. Because Lowe's was about to close.  

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wolf??? I could totally hatechu but I'll just sit here and drool as I turn green with envy. I'd like shoot people for a Wolf and double ovens...One house we're looking at has the big-ass double fridge, cooktop and double oven. There's a couple of things I don't like about it but the gourmet kitchen and upstairs balcony kinda cancels those things out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I dont understand how it takes people so long to have enough dishes to run the dishwasher! It takes me about 3-4 days alone, 1-2 when the husband is home. I do have to cook all of my own meals and I pack lunches in reusable containers at work, which I'm sure contributes, along with my snacking (I eat a LOT). My dog usually contributes 2 spoons and a reusable lid for his wet food every day, but that's minimal. I have coffee and water to drink, sometimes a mug of tea, but dont go through a lot of glasses. Bowls, plates, silverware, spatulas, mixing bowls, etc. I go through a ton of though. I guess if i ate out more or cooked from scratch less that would make a difference.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

Just now, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I dont understand how it takes people so long to have enough dishes to run the dishwasher! 

One reason it sometimes took my hubs and me longer to fill the dishwasher was because I was pet and house sitting, and staying at the client's house. My husband likes to cook himself breakfast, but he was more apt to microwave a frozen dinner, or open a can of chili in the evenings. (Almost all my pet sitting jobs were ones where I stayed over, so that completely stopped with our first child.) My husband is also prone to using the same coffee mug for a week before he lets it get washed. Ick.  :puke-front: 

• Upvote 5

51 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

We don't have a reno planned - or a move planned really - but I have told my husband that my NEXT house will have double ovens. I won't use them all the time- but I don't know how I'm supposed to cook this at 425F for 15 minutes while THAT needs to go on the table at the same time and needs to be 350F for 20. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

It's a very fine city indeed.

Another UEA graduate here!

I'll always remember driving away from my childhood home in Brixton, looking up at a sign proudly proclaiming "Brixton. Saying no to crack and smack".... Then arriving at "Norwich. A fine city."

I liked that it never bragged or overplayed itself... It was just...fine... (and there was less crack and smack knocking about!)

• Upvote 5

58 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I have Blue Star(48 inch). I love it!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Eponine said:

I'm in Brooklyn and I have both it's crazy!! The dishwasher was like a miracle, but as I said before the garbage disposal was a mystery to me at first. I think moving in was basically the first time I'd ever encountered one because...yeah NYC doesn't really do garbage disposals.

I’m in Brooklyn too. I’ve only seen garbage disposals on tv lol I’d kill for a dishwasher but we’re not allowed. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ElToro said:

Another UEA graduate here!

I'll always remember driving away from my childhood home in Brixton, looking up at a sign proudly proclaiming "Brixton. Saying no to crack and smack".... Then arriving at "Norwich. A fine city."

I liked that it never bragged or overplayed itself... It was just...fine... (and there was less crack and smack knocking about!)

? Norwich has never said no to smack and crack because it's never been offered either.

What a bizarrely small world indeed, @IsmeWeatherwax, and I think I remember there's at least one other UEA alum on here.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Family of 5 here (2 teens and one young adult who is often off at college).  I've found that when it's just 4 of us at home and the kids are in school we do one full load of dishes per day, when my oldest is home and the other 2 are on a school holiday we have to run it more often, and when hubby is traveling or we are down to fewer people for another reason like the younger kids are off at camp we don't have a full load daily so then it's a question of whether to run a partial load or wait until it's full.

Back when I lived in an apartment with no dishwasher and had to hand wash everything I ended up with pretty bad contact dermatitis so I'm quite happy to have the dishwasher (and now hubby does the hand washing of the pots and pans).  And like others have said, we scrape the large food waste off but don't really rinse unless the food is really goopy.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Hanging clothes outside in the summer, in the desert, is great. They, no joke, dry in minutes. However, be prepared to deal with sand. I used to hang clothes on our pool fence in PHX. They dried in minutes. It was great avoiding moldy pool towels, just hang them on the fence, wait 15 minutes and they were ready to go. Can't wait to have that again!

Yes! I lived in New Mexico for almost 4 years  (near White Sands, so a lot of very fine sand) and my husband was stationed at Luke AFB for 2 1/2 so we are pretty used to the sand blowing around. At this point I am just happy to escape the humidity. Bring on the dry heat!

• Upvote 5

I remember the joyful day when I could afford to purchase my own washer and dryer. Still one of the happiest days ever! 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

@SassyPants,  I remembered that you had a Blue Star range.  They're wonderful and it might very well be my choice if I were just cooking for myself.  My husband is a real messcat when he's cooking though.  I know Blue Star ranges and rangetops aren't that difficult to clean but I'm not sure about cooktop. 

• Upvote 3

Rinsing is not required for modern dishwashers and is not recommended as it messes with the sensors. I rinse nothing and everything comes out squeaky clean.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I live in the high desert and love the aridity.  I don't have a tumble dryer nor an outdoor clothesline.  I hang stuff indoors to dry.  I could probably use an outdoor clothesline here in town, and in fact it's on my list to put one up this year.  But when I lived out of town in the dunes, between the wind and the dust-storms/sand-storms, dried stuff would be grittier than before being washed.  =IF= it hadn't blown clear off the line and a few miles away, that is...  Ah well, at least sand is "clean dirt".

• Upvote 7

THANK YOU to the posters who brought up not rinsing for modern dishwashers. I had no idea. I tried it tonight, dishes are clean as ever (maybe cleaner). Thank you thank you thank you. You've changed my life.

Thank you 

• Upvote 21
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I live in the high desert and love the aridity.  I don't have a tumble dryer nor an outdoor clothesline.  I hang stuff indoors to dry.  I could probably use an outdoor clothesline here in town, and in fact it's on my list to put one up this year.  But when I lived out of town in the dunes, between the wind and the dust-storms/sand-storms, dried stuff would be grittier than before being washed.  =IF= it hadn't blown clear off the line and a few miles away, that is...  Ah well, at least sand is "clean dirt".

Things dry fairly quickly even inside. In our townhouse, there's no outdoor clothes lines allowed...but I could probably hang things up in the garage. IF we end up getting the house we want, I don't think outside will be an option...we'll be right near the county line in the SW where there aren't a lot of houses and a whole lot of sand/dust/wind. 

• Upvote 3

@feministxtian, the state of Vermont passed a law a few years ago that made hanging out clothes a right.  IOW, villages/towns and HOAs could not pass ordinances against clotheslines.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 7

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I have Blue Star(48 inch). I love it!

mine is a bosch 

was it the wrong thread ? :D

39 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

THANK YOU to the posters who brought up not rinsing for modern dishwashers. I had no idea. I tried it tonight, dishes are clean as ever (maybe cleaner). Thank you thank you thank you. You've changed my life.

Thank you 

make sure you clean the drain out though sometimes. mine releases 

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@SassyPants,  I remembered that you had a Blue Star range.  They're wonderful and it might very well be my choice if I were just cooking for myself.  My husband is a real messcat when he's cooking though.  I know Blue Star ranges and rangetops aren't that difficult to clean but I'm not sure about cooktop. 

who loves aga stoves??

i love them. don't have it - but again bucket list

Edited by nst
  • Upvote 2

@nst,  I know that AGA is popular in the UK and that Merry Berry has one in her kitchen.  If I were going to spend the kind of money that I'd need for an AGA, I'd get a Lacanche Cluny.  Lacanche is hand built in Burgundy out of cast iron.  They're beautiful and they're workhorses.  With minimal electronics, they last a lifetime.  It's a range that you pass down to your kids.  (Blue Stars also have minimal electronics which is an advantage. )  Another range that I love is a vintage Magic Chef or Wedgewood with the bread warmer.  Jessica Fletcher has one on Murder She Wrote, but I fell in love with them on the old ABC show Family where there was one in the Lawrence kitchen.

• Thank You 2

14 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Totally.  I know some people who just sold an apartment in Brooklyn for 1.25 million, no dishwasher, no garbage disposal, no A/C, communal laundry in basement.  

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic