IGNORED

United States Senate

GreyhoundFan

Good comeback to Ted's stupidity:

image.png.8f4f23bb95c21ce5447c7e2741a31727.png

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

I was SEVERELY tempted to just start a Hawley/Cruz/other Congressional traitors thread.

• Upvote 11

Is it possible to have secret ballots in the Senate? It seems like the impeachment trial would be easier for everyone to vote their conscience if the rabid Trump fans with guns didn't know who voted for what.

Edit: apparently it is, it was written about the last time.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/11/12/path-to-removing-donald-trump-from-office-229911

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

Ted Cruz is spending his days Twitter feuding with Seth Rogen.

I am not sure I believe Ted Cruz is real. Surely he must be an elaborate fraud that  Hollywood has performed on the American people.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2

I’ve seen bits if this retweeted by Jon Rogers who made comments about Cruz forgetting that all of Hollywood runs on Unions.  

Meanwhile, Hawley seems to have stopped tweeting from his regular account (since about Jan 5) and is only making comments via a press office account.

Edited by clueliss
  • Upvote 9

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Meanwhile, Hawley seems to have stopped tweeting from his regular account (since about Jan 5) and is only making comments via a press office account.

Maybe his account was blocked, or if not, he's anticipating his account will be blocked for the incitement he's sure to post about?

• Upvote 8

On 1/23/2021 at 2:19 AM, AmazonGrace said:

Thank you @AmazonGrace, I wasn't aware of this, it doesn't surprise me. 

Good article in Salon concerning Cotton ...

Sen. Tom Cotton campaigned on his "experience as an Army Ranger" — but he didn't have any.   https://www.salon.com/2021/01/22/sen-tom-cotton-campaigned-on-his-experience-as-an-army-ranger--but-he-didnt-have-any/

:small excerpt below:

In his first run for Congress, Cotton leaned heavily on his military service, claiming to have been "a U.S. Army Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan," and, in a campaign ad, to have "volunteered to be an Army Ranger." In reality, Cotton was never part of the 75th Ranger Regiment, the elite unit that plans and conducts joint special military operations as part of the U.S. Army Special Operations Command.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

5 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Maybe his account was blocked, or if not, he's anticipating his account will be blocked for the incitement he's sure to post about?

Perhaps he knew this article was coming?

[Hawley's] early writing touches on themes that have defined his Senate tenure: a rejection of political correctness and a belief that mainstream politics has failed to deal with a growing disillusionment in American society.

That same year he wrote about Fuhrman, Hawley said the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. “must be rolling over in his grave” at the Rev. Jesse Jackson’s defense of affirmative action. He described a “perverted racial spoils system” and said affirmative action has “stirred up resentment amongst the races.”

Hawley’s animosity toward programs aimed at boosting racial equality continued during his college years as a contributor to The Stanford Review, a conservative student paper founded by Peter Thiel, co-founder of PayPal and, later, a major political donor.

“In this season of cultural concern, when Americans worry more about values than anything else … self-righteous pronouncements on racial oppression and gay rights activism seem oddly out of place, like disco music at a swing dance,” Hawley wrote in a 1999 piece criticizing Democratic Sen. Bill Bradley’s presidential campaign.

Once a white Christian nationalist asshole, always a white Christian nationalist asshole. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 3

Hey - Hawley tweeted on his regular account.

And he's filing a counter suit against those who charged him with ethics violation.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

14 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Ohioan here. The names being thrown out as potential replacements are worse IMO. Jim Jordan, for example.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 4
  • WTF 3

How do you get to be a fifteen year old that thinks bombings that kills many are awesome? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-sen-josh-hawley-wrote-a-column-in-defense-of-the-oklahoma-city-bomber-when-he-was-15/ar-BB1d51nG?ocid=st

GOP Sen. Josh Hawley wrote a column in defense of the Oklahoma City bomber when he was 15

Sen. Josh Hawley wrote a column defending militia members when he was 15 years old. 

The column was published in the wake of the Oklahoma City bombing. 

Hawley supported Trump's voter-fraud claims in the wake of the 2020 presidential election.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Republican Sen. Josh Hawley, who backed former President Donald Trump's voter fraud claims following the 2020 election, wrote a column in which he defended the Oklahoma City bomber when he was 15 years old, according to a report from the Kansas City Star.

The Kansas City Star reported that following the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Hawley wrote a column for his hometown paper, The Lexington News, in which he warned against calling anti-government militia members domestic terrorists.

Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols - the men who carried out the bombing that killed 169 people - had ties with the Michigan Militia, an anti-government group dating back to the 1990s.

"Many of the people populating these movements are not radical, right-wing, pro-assault weapons freaks as they were originally stereotyped," Hawley wrote about militia groups. "Dismissed by the media and treated with disdain by their elected leaders, these citizens come together and form groups that often draw more media fire as anti-government hate gatherings."

"Feeling alienated from their government and the rest of society, they often become disenchanted and slip into talks of 'conspiracy theories' about how the federal government is out to get them," he added.

Also in the column, Hawley said former Los Angeles police detective Mark Fuhrman was being unfairly depicted as a racist after his use of racial slurs became known during the OJ Simpson trial.

"In this politically correct society, derogatory labels such as 'racist' are widely misused, and our ability to have open debate is eroding," he wrote.

In the wake of the Capitol insurrection that took place on January 6, there have been calls for Hawley to resign over his support of Trump's claims of voter fraud.

Seven Democratic senators have also called for a probe into how Hawley's and Sen. Ted Cruz's objections to the Electoral College vote potentially contributed to the violence that led to five deaths.

Hawley condemned the violence at the Capitol, but called the complaint "a flagrant abuse of the Senate ethics process and a flagrant attempt to exact partisan revenge" in a statement about the investigation.

On Monday he wrote a column for the New York Post in which he suggested he and other Republicans were victims of cancel culture and asked supporters to "stand up for the right of every American to be heard."

Hawley did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

Even at 15 he thought that terrorists are only terrorists because the media condemns terrorists.

• WTF 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

20 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Perhaps he knew this article was coming?

Once a white Christian nationalist asshole, always a white Christian nationalist asshole. 

The article is behind a paywall  but I was able to listen to the whole thing (I am assuming.)

Somebody's saying they think Hawley will run for president regardless because he is more famous now nationally. (and internationally too...)

Would it work? Even if he is the darling of maga extremists now, he'd have a hard time getting independents to vote for him. (One hopes.)

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

The article is behind a paywall  but I was able to listen to the whole thing (I am assuming.)

Somebody's saying they think Hawley will run for president regardless because he is more famous now nationally. (and internationally too...)

Would it work? Even if he is the darling of maga extremists now, he'd have a hard time getting independents to vote for him. (One hopes.)

Some MAGAs seem to think that all 74 million people who voted for Trump are extremists who would vote for any far-right candidate.  I'm pretty sure (and desperately hope) that's not true.  Especially if the Rs also run at least one moderate conservative candidate in the primary.

• Upvote 8

4 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Would it work?

Possibly. MO is still a red state and, thanks to major gerrymandering, is likely to stay that way for quite a while.

The governor is a trumper as are their Congressional Rs & state legislators. When asked about Hawley's role in the January 6 seditious riot, this is what the governor said:

"Governor, there are many calls for the resignation of Josh Hawley. Do you believe Josh Hawley should resign?" Slavit said.

Parson responded with:

There’s been a lot of discussion on this. I’m going to ask you today to stay with the inauguration. This is a special day for me and my family. It’s a special day for our state. We’ll be talking about Washington D.C. every day from hereafter.

Everybody has to be responsible for the decisions they make, good or bad or indifferent. That’s what I’ll say. Today is about the bicentennial and the swearing in of the governor.

Columbia Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler (R-Harrisonville) told us she sees no need for Hawley to step down, nor to be punished for pressing questions about fraud in the presidential election.

“I appreciated Senator Hawley raising up these concerns because it is very important that voters have confidence in their vote. We need to make sure that elections are secure," Hartzler said.

Hartzler represents the area including Columbia which is a university town and more blue than not. So, yeah, Hawley can't be counted out yet from a run for president in 2024.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

Hawley is a Senator and despite the weird MO Representative districts, managed to get elected over Claire McCaskell (the incumbent) state wide. 

Missouri outside of Kansas City/suburbs, Metro St. Louis, and maybe Columbia has drifted massively red.  (which repulses me)

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic