IGNORED

United States Senate

GreyhoundFan

99 % reported,

Jon Ossoff 2 241 340 -vs David Perdue2 204 574

Raphael Warnock 2 260 290 -vs Kelly Loeffler2 185 679

Who are the people who would vote for Warnock but choose Perdue rather than Ossoff?

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

99 % reported,

Jon Ossoff 2 241 340 -vs David Perdue2 204 574

Raphael Warnock 2 260 290 -vs Kelly Loeffler2 185 679

Who are the people who would vote for Warnock but choose Perdue rather than Ossoff?

I have a sibling in Georgia.  The general thought there was that Warnock would win because he's very well known and respected.  They weren't sure about Ossoff winning because he's young and the Perdue name is famous in GA.  I'm just glad that they both won.

• Upvote 4

It's crazy that you can hold public office and be so beholden to a single big donor.  

• Upvote 12

Frankly, the Cruz and Hawley self-sabotage is all very delicious.

Cotton is another story, however. He is a horrible person, but is now backtracking to save his own ass because he also has 2024 ambitions. 

• Upvote 10

98 % reported. The difference is about 45.000 votes.

How was it 99 % reported a couple of days ago and now more votes are in but it's only 98%?

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

12 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

98 % reported. The difference is about 45.000 votes.

How was it 99 % reported a couple of days ago and now more votes are in but it's only 98%?

Overseas and military absentee ballots can be accepted until today at 5pm.  They may have gotten more ballots than they expected over the last couple days?

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7

7 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Is Susan Collins concerned yet?

I saw a news source in Maine indicate Susie has said she doesn't support removing trump. I guess she thinks he's learned his lesson again.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 4

2 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

He has finally become presidential.

Why? Has he resigned? :shock:

Or does she think that shitshow speech yesterday was presidential. 

Edited by fraurosena
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Nothing newsworthy here but I just love it when people dunk on Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley.

Kyle Griffin

@kylegriffin1

15m

Breaking: Sen. Ron Wyden calls on Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz to resign "and accept the responsibility which they so clearly bear."

• Upvote 11

I told someone last week that Lisa would likely leave the Republicans if they lost Georgia and didn't change leadership at the RNC.  Because we changed to a blanket primary system, with ranked choice voting, she's not as much in danger of being primaried. She's not liked by the conservative Trump republicans in our state at all. Nor do the progressives or even the liberal democrats have any real love for her. There's no real reason for her to remain in the party. 

There is a NY Times article about her that people in my area are quoting. It's much better than the ADN one linked above, which probably just came out of a press release and is filtered to make Trump look as good as possible. The ADN's owner was one of the electors who voted for Trump, along with the leader of a group of "women republicans" who is an openly racist bigot who was given a no bid contract from the state to do something with "education" despite the fact that she can't spell. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

Dear Josh Fashley, the Trump Jugend Wunderkind. May all of your shoes have pebbles in them and may somebody play this ad on their phone whenever you go out in public  for the rest of your life.  

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 1

Editorial: Resign, Senator Cruz. Your lies cost lives.

In Texas, we have our share of politicians who peddle wild conspiracy theories and reckless rhetoric aiming to inflame.

Think U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert’s “terror baby” diatribes or his nonsensical vow not to wear a face mask until after he got COVID, which he promptly did.

This editorial board tries to hold such shameful specimens to account.

But we reserve special condemnation for the perpetrators among them who are of sound mind and considerable intellect — those who should damn well know better.

None more than U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz.

A brilliant and frequent advocate before the U.S. Supreme Court and a former Texas solicitor general, Cruz knew exactly what he was doing, what he was risking and who he was inciting as he stood on the Senate floor Wednesday and passionately fed the farce of election fraud even as a seething crowd of believers was being whipped up by President Trump a short distance away.

Cruz, it should also be noted, knew exactly whose presidency he was defending. That of a man he called in 2016 a “narcissist,” a “pathological liar” and “utterly amoral

Cruz told senators that since nearly 40 percent of Americans believed the November election “was rigged” that the only remedy was to form an emergency task force to review the results — and if warranted, allow states to overturn Joe Biden’s victory and put their electoral votes in Trump’s column.

Cruz deemed people’s distrust in the election “a profound threat to the country and to the legitimacy of any administrations that will come in the future.”

What he didn’t acknowledge was how that distrust, which he overstated anyway, was fueled by Trump’s torrent of fantastical claims of voter fraud that were shown again and again not to exist.

Cruz had helped spin that web of deception and now he was feigning concern that millions of Americans had gotten caught up in it.

Even as he peddled his phony concern for the integrity of our elections, he argued that senators who voted to certify Biden’s victory would be telling tens of millions of Americans to “jump in a lake” and that their concerns don’t matter.

Actually, senators who voted to certify the facts delivered the truth — something Americans haven’t been getting from a political climber whose own insatiable hunger for power led him to ride Trump’s bus to Crazy Town through 59 losing court challenges, past state counts and recounts and audits, and finally taking the wheel to drive it to the point of no return: trying to bully the U.S. Congress into rejecting tens of millions of lawfully cast votes in an election that even Trump’s Department of Homeland Security called the most secure in American history.

The consequences of Cruz’s cynical gamble soon became clear and so did his true motivations. In the moments when enraged hordes of Trump supporters began storming the Capitol to stop a steal that never happened, desecrating the building, causing the evacuation of Congress and injuring dozens of police officers, including one who died, a fundraising message went out to Cruz supporters:

“Ted Cruz here,” it read. “I’m leading the fight to reject electors from key states unless there is an emergency audit of the election results. Will you stand with me?”

Cruz claims the message was automated. Even if that’s true, it’s revolting.

This is a man who lied, unflinchingly, on national television, claiming on Hannity’s show days after the election that Philadelphia votes were being counted under a “shroud of darkness” in an attempted Democratic coup. As he spoke, the process was being livestreamed on YouTube.

For two months, Cruz joined Trump in beating the drum of election fraud until Trump loyalists were deaf to anyone — Republican, Democrat or nonpartisan journalist, not to mention state and federal courts — telling them otherwise.

And yet, Cruz insists he bears no responsibility for the deadly terror attack.

“Not remotely,” he told KHOU Thursday. “What I was doing and what the other members were doing is what we were elected to do, which is debating matters of great import in the chamber of the United States Senate.”

Since the Capitol siege, Cruz has condemned the violence, tweeting after the death of Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick that “Heidi and I are lifting up in prayer” the officer’s family and demanding the terrorists be prosecuted.

Well, senator, those terrorists wouldn’t have been at the Capitol if you hadn’t staged this absurd challenge to the 2020 results in the first place. You are unlikely to be prosecuted for inciting the riots, as President Trump may yet be, and there is no election to hold you accountable until 2024. So, we call for another consequence, one with growing support across Texas: Resign.

This editorial board did not endorse you in 2018. There’s no love lost — and not much lost for Texans needing a voice in Washington, either.

Public office isn’t a college debate performance. It requires representing the interests of Texans. In your first term, you once told reporters that you weren’t concerned about delivering legislation for your constituents. The more you throw gears in the workings of Washington, you said, the more people back home love you. Tell that to the constituents who complain that your office rarely even picks up the phone.

Serving as a U.S. senator requires working constructively with colleagues to get things done. Not angering them by voting against Hurricane Sandy relief, which jeopardized Congressional support for Texas’ relief after Harvey. Not staging a costly government shutdown to repeal the Affordable Care Act in 2013 that cost the economy billions. Not collecting more enemies than friends in your own party, including the affable former House Speaker John Boehner who famously remarked: “I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”

We’re done with the drama. Done with the opportunism. Done with the cynical scheming that has now cost American lives.

Resign, Mr. Cruz, and deliver Texas from the shame of calling you our senator.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/Editorial-Resign-Senator-Cruz-Your-lies-cost-15857293.php

• Upvote 13

Says impeachment probably won't get handled in the Senate before Biden is already in the office. 

• Upvote 9

19 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Says impeachment probably won't get handled in the Senate before Biden is already in the office. 

That's because of the memo circulated by McConnell. https://www.vox.com/2021/1/9/22179004/mitch-mcconnell-memo-second-trump-impeachment-senate-trial

(I linked to Vox because of WaPo's paywall. I have a subscription, but people complain sometimes. Not here.) 

• WTF 1
  • Thank You 6

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic