IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 10

Coconut Flan

Six years?? I remember it like it was yesterday - a feat for someone my age. :pb_lol: Happy Tool O' Ween to all!

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Six years?? I remember it like it was yesterday - a feat for someone my age. :pb_lol: Happy Tool O' Ween to all!

IIRC I had been on an FJ break and you, Marian, PM’ed me to say Dougie had been caught more or less in flagrante delicto — and not with a boy!

What a time. Unforgettable! 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

On this anniversary, Doug and Beall (italics) reminisce, but they remember things a bit differently:

Kids? We had nine. No, we had eight,
And all was fine. With “Nannygate?”
Look, Doug, I remember it well.

We kept our friends! We were alone.
I was the king! Knocked off your throne.
Don't lie, I remember it well.

That lovely Easter scene! Do you feel all right?
It was Halloween.
That's right, that's right.
It chaps my ass to know that you remember things the way you do.
’Cause Doug, I remember it well.

How often I've thought of that Friday – Thursday – night
I had my last day as head tool.
And somehow I foolishly wondered if you might
Forgive me, though I was vile and cruel?

I got my chance, to play and roam,
We lost our wealth, we lost our home,
Bitch, please, I remember it well.

I was in love. You caused her pain,
You used a girl, ’cause you were vain.
Shut up, I remember it well.

I’ve found some new brunettes! Hope they laugh at you.
Paid off all my debts! Oh, no, not you!
We faked a church, so we could prey
On people who were made to pay,
Fuck you, I remember it well.

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Haha 20
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 11

While we're on memory lane, I'm wondering if any still-patriarchal-but-now-former-VFers think of this date as ever-so-resonant? Not as a day of Halloween-horror for fallen-but-soon-to-rise-again King DavidDouglas (I can't help but be glad that Doug continues to let them down, down, down on that). But rather, as a day for denouncing and taking a stand against corrupt-deceitful-sexually-repressive-and-at-the-same-time-scandalous-money-making-trash-masquerading-as-Christianity? I mean, aren't Martin Luther and the origins of the Reformation on this day 502 years ago dear to the hearts of these people? Surely worth a moment of a fundie's thought...?

10 hours ago, dripcurl said:

I haven’t checked up on the family in a bit and frankly my dear I don’t give a damn anymore. But I am so happy I do not subscribe to any of that damaging Patriarchal ideology any longer!

I understand perfectly if you don't wish to 'go there' - but have you shared on FJ what led you to VF in the first place? Does anyone feel like sharing (or giving a link to where they've shared before)?

On 10/16/2019 at 11:10 AM, CyborgKin said:

Since CW retired back in 2015, Dr Don Batten has been the Managing Director of CMI-Australia.  (Unlike KH, CW was big on making sure he was replaceable.)  Don was a research horticulturalist with the NSW Department of Agriculture.

@CyborgKin, you've made me (almost) recall a story about Don Batten I heard from an AiG person (back when they were CSF). The story was from Don's horticultural research career, about a strange dream or dreams that led him to a new (and successful) avenue of research. I don't really remember any details (something about jumping animals?...rabbits?*...) - but I don't think that it was particularly 'woo' or implausible. If you know the story I'd love a reminder - in my mind it's for some reason associated with the tale of the invention of velcro, but I'm drawing a complete blank on just about everything else! I can't spot anything online.

*or do I just have bunnies on the brain, as I'm spending Halloween creeping backwards with both hands outstretched and full of carrots, luring the Rabbit of Caerbannog out of President Carter's fave fishing spot. I'm trying to convince her that while no. 39 on the Presidential menu might be a little tough, no. 45 should be positively delicious. 'This one is kinda orange, honeybun, just like a great big carrot!'

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

@thoughtful, once again I bow to your creativity - this is just. fucking. brilliant. Not to mention personally meaningful, as a few years ago I was helping Mr. MtL memorize this song for a little musical number he was in. I got to be the Hermione Gingold character (she who, in "The Music Man," intoned the immortal "Chaucer! Rabelais! BALLLLllll-zac!!").

Thank you, thank you!

:clap:

13 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

IIRC I had been on an FJ break and you, Marian, PM’ed me to say Dougie had been caught more or less in flagrante delicto — and not with a boy!

What a time. Unforgettable! 

[Honoring @thoughtful's brilliant parody] - Ah yes, I remember it well! :pb_lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

I got to be the Hermione Gingold character (she who, in "The Music Man," intoned the immortal "Chaucer! Rabelais! BALLLLllll-zac!!").

I was thinking of that, and of you, as I listened to her.

Thank you for your lovely compliments. I swear, the people we discuss on FJ are so bizarre, sometimes these things practically write themselves.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

On 10/7/2019 at 8:33 PM, AnnaSofia said:

here's Levi's VERY cosplay-heavy IG account: https://www.instagram.com/adventurousartisan/

Wait!  I'm catching up here so this is from a few pages back.  Isn't this the same Levi who jilted Jessica Boyer?  Small Fundie world.  And if someone can find proof that artisan cos-playing Levi Sherman is related to cos-playing pink craft loving Lady Lydia I may be able to die happy.

@FundieGhostWriter, many thanks for the very detailed background on Ken Ham and AiG.  You also have a way with words that had me falling off my chair laughing!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Wait!  I'm catching up here so this is from a few pages back.  Isn't this the same Levi who jilted Jessica Boyer?  Small Fundie world. 

Oh my gosh, yes!

I only vaguely follow the Boyer drama, but I can't believe I didn't make the kilt-wearin' Levi connection. Gotta be the same guy.

IMG_2173.jpg.2d7a5782d0b4f8b8314fa6000d8a555e.jpg

http://boyersisters.com/2015/07/charlottes-birthday-bash-the-party-vlog/

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

"Mommy, can I be a Texas cult leader for Halloween?" 

"Why, of course, honey-- and you're just the right height for it, too!" 

CultLeader.jpg

• Haha 15
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

On 11/1/2019 at 5:56 PM, FundieGhostWriter said:

@CyborgKin, you've made me (almost) recall a story about Don Batten I heard from an AiG person (back when they were CSF). The story was from Don's horticultural research career, about a strange dream or dreams that led him to a new (and successful) avenue of research. I don't really remember any details (something about jumping animals?...rabbits?*...) - but I don't think that it was particularly 'woo' or implausible. If you know the story I'd love a reminder - in my mind it's for some reason associated with the tale of the invention of velcro, but I'm drawing a complete blank on just about everything else! I can't spot anything online.

That doesn't ring a bell for me, though dreams helping with research inspiration is nothing new (see the structure of benzene, or the periodic table).  Pity you didn't ask a few weeks back or I could have asked Don.  I do remember Dr David Catchpoole talking about a dream he had though.  (Oh, he's put that on in an article: https://creation.com/an-impossible-dreamfor-an-atheist )

As for velcro, I've heard Peter Sparrow (he was the Creation Bus guy) talking about the invention of velcro, but no dreams were involved in that.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 10/7/2019 at 8:33 PM, AnnaSofia said:

I think this is the couple from the Florida wedding:

And then Liberty, Faith, Honor, and Virginia road tripped to Faith Metz & Levi Sherman's wedding the following weekend (October 5th).

I neglected to save the wedding photos Faith Phillips posted on her Instagram stories, but for your amusement, here's Levi's VERY cosplay-heavy IG account: https://www.instagram.com/adventurousartisan/

So I know this is old news but I wonder if it’s strange for Brigid. She’s married to Levi’s best friend, Gabe. Or at least they used to be best friends. I’ve been in situations like that before and it’s a bit awkward. Jessica is married and has likely moved on but he’s still the guy that jilted her sister. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2019 at 2:56 AM, FundieGhostWriter said:

But rather, as a day for denouncing and taking a stand against corrupt-deceitful-sexually-repressive-and-at-the-same-time-scandalous-money-making-trash-masquerading-as-Christianity? I mean, aren't Martin Luther and the origins of the Reformation on this day 502 years ago dear to the hearts of these people? Surely worth a moment of a fundie's thought...?

Don’t worry. The Neidnagels celebrated the reformation by watching the movie Luther. After their dress up party.

A00381CC-FF1B-4DB3-AD24-2A01AF1D5738.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

"Nailing that date" - I get it. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wonder if it’s strange for Brigid. She’s married to Levi’s best friend, Gabe. Or at least they used to be best friends

Gabe is an FJ member, and has visited us in the Boyer threads, and on this thread. You can look through the threads to see if anyone asked him how she feels about it (I can't remember).

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

"Nailing that date" - I get it. :rolleyes:

Gabe is an FJ member, and has visited us in the Boyer threads, and on this thread. You can look through the threads to see if anyone asked him how she feels about it (I can't remember).

I was there when he showed up the first time. He’s quite the mansplainer but I respect the fact that he only talks about himself and not his wife and sisters. So I doubt I would get an answer out of him about how Brigid feels on the topic. 

• Upvote 3

On 11/2/2019 at 11:04 AM, DomWackTroll said:

"Mommy, can I be a Texas cult leader for Halloween?" 

"Why, of course, honey-- and you're just the right height for it, too!"

'Don't forget to stand with your feet wide apart when folks answer the door, or they might not guess who you're dressed as. Just a bit wider now. That's it!'

'But mom, this really hurts!'

'Just a few more houses darling.'

'I've split my pants mommy. And nobody is giving me candy. Just things like this...' (holds out feather boa, thigh length fishnet stocking, and vintage lacy panties).

'Hmm, I really think we'll have to arrange a more age-appropriate costume next year. Like Hannibal Lecter, Adolf Hitler, Satan or something.'

'Help Mommy! - why are the men from this house chasing me?'

'Quickly dear, step under the streetlight so they can see you properly. And remember, always knock at the front door, not the bedroom window!'

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • Love 2

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So I know this is old news but I wonder if it’s strange for Brigid. She’s married to Levi’s best friend, Gabe. Or at least they used to be best friends. I’ve been in situations like that before and it’s a bit awkward. Jessica is married and has likely moved on but he’s still the guy that jilted her sister. 

Breakups within a close circle of friends can be awkward as fuck even in more mainstream social situations, especially if they're not mutual, and/or one person was way more into it than the other. Then when you have young women raised to believe that the first guy you get close to will almost certainly go on to be your husband/father of your children/love for the ages, it's gotta set things up for a helluva lotta pain if things don't work out that way.

I'm sure it's at least part of the reason Jessica seemed so adrift after Brigid got married. It's not just romantic rejection, it's something at odds with your entire worldview. And then to have a younger sister whose romance does go according to the script (at the very same time yours comes crashing down), well, that can't be easy even for the most well adjusted people. And the Boyer sisters certainly weren't that.

• Upvote 6

On 11/2/2019 at 9:12 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

The Neidnagels celebrated the reformation by watching the movie Luther. After their dress up party.

I wonder if there are adequate irony sensors in those magnificent 'brain tripesypes' of theirs to fully appreciate that on the date they celebrate the 'death nails' of the corrupt Renaissance Roman Church with #reformationday, Douglas drove nails into the coffin of their own corrupt Modern American Church. So ironic that I might call it providence.

On 11/2/2019 at 8:07 PM, CyborgKin said:

I could have asked Don.

Thanks for the link @CyborgKin (I've bookmarked it to read later). As you know many CMIers, do you have a view (that you'd be willing to share) on UFO guy Gary Bates? From my (confessedly limited) interactions with him, and observation of his interactions with others, I find him... I'll be diplomatic... not someone I crave further acquaintance with. I'd happily be proved wrong (I do manage to get along with most people). I see that GB has taken up guiding tours of Egypt as an autodidact authority on Biblical chronology (his fellow guide, at least, has a relevant Masters). But I think I'd give ten days stuck with Gary a miss.

I do know the (non-dream) velcro story - but for some reason I find the forgotten Don story (I was told it by Andrew Snelling BTW) on the same shelf in my noggin. Rather than a mental google, I must possess a vintage card filing system (I hope @Marian the Librarian would approve) - the only problem is that some volumes seem to have been borrowed and not returned. I clearly need to institute draconian fines.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:21 AM, Palimpsest said:

@FundieGhostWriter, many thanks for the very detailed background on Ken Ham and AiG.  You also have a way with words that had me falling off my chair laughing!

@Palimpsest, so that you don't hurt yourself falling, you could right now hop in the back seat and buckle-up. President Carter and I have just hit Highway 19 with a highly agitated Br'er Rabbit, still soaking wet, sitting between us. James Earl C. is trying to convince our long-eared friend that now is the time to get final revenge on Br'er FOX. If anyone in the vicinity of Albany, GA has some carrots handy, and is willing to share the driving, we can make Trump National Golf Club, Jupiter, FL before dawn. President Carter is well disguised in an oversize MAGA top hat, and I'm wearing the same Trump mask as @formergothardite's avatar, and a fox atop my head - so you can't miss us! (I'm getting nervous as my carrot supply runs low, and the Pres. keeps intoning in his glorious drawl, while pointing at my disguised face, 'there's the one you want to taste, there's the one you want to taste.' We're hoping that Buridan's Ass applies to bunnies too, and that with Presidents on both sides, the Killer Rabbit will not be able to decide which of us to 'sample' first.) We have a Richard Nixon mask waiting for whoever cares to join us. I promise, you'll be as cool as one of those surfer bandits in Point Break!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, FundieGhostWriter said:

Rather than a mental google, I must possess a vintage card filing system (I hope @Marian the Librarian would approve) - the only problem is that some volumes seem to have been borrowed and not returned. I clearly need to institute draconian fines.

Hey, whatever works! Those old wooden card catalogs are attractive, and work great for just about anything - silverware, jewelry, craft supplies, spice jars - why not a memory file, too?

• Upvote 5

So where is Doug?  Hmmmmm?  When was the last time he was seen on social media? Seen in a pic with his family? 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

6 hours ago, Howl said:

So where is Doug?  Hmmmmm?  When was the last time he was seen on social media? Seen in a pic with his family? 

The last mention of seeing him on social media, that I remember, is on page 17 of this thread, where he was at the birthday party for his mother, back in August.  It's where he's standing far away from Beall and his ring finger is covered! ?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 2

Last sighting I know of is the pic from his mom's birthday.

The DW Cinematographer Facebook is dead since June, same as the Vision Forum page, and his public IG. All of the family websites (including Cinema of Wonder) seem to be hosted by squarespace, and none of the paid versions are working (the Bobby Bowden project is on a freebie page).

Beall barely posts on her public IG lately. She didn't even make individual posts for her birthday, or Virginia's 13th, though she mentioned it in her most recent post. Neither she nor Liberty made the Marine Corps Marathon this year. Faith and Jessica Courter ran it, but it looked like they flew out and then right back home, skipping Faith's usual post-marathon stay with the Courters and Verniers in Tennessee.

The social media for Operation Meatball is nearly as dead as Doug's. If I were to venture a guess, Liberty is actually working a job-type job, though I have no proof yet.

All in all, I think money is seriously tight, and they're actually living like it these days.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 6

20 hours ago, FundieGhostWriter said:

Thanks for the link @CyborgKin (I've bookmarked it to read later). As you know many CMIers, do you have a view (that you'd be willing to share) on UFO guy Gary Bates? From my (confessedly limited) interactions with him, and observation of his interactions with others, I find him... I'll be diplomatic... not someone I crave further acquaintance with. I'd happily be proved wrong (I do manage to get along with most people). I see that GB has taken up guiding tours of Egypt as an autodidact authority on Biblical chronology (his fellow guide, at least, has a relevant Masters). But I think I'd give ten days stuck with Gary a miss.

Hmm, it's been a while since I've interacted with him much (other than the 'super camps'), given that he's been mostly in the US for years now.  Though he gave talks on his UFO thing even before his book was published.  I'd say he's the high energy sort of person that an introvert like myself would get tired of being around quickly.  He was a reasonably fun person in small doses, though very serious about serious business.  I think my parents want to go on the upcoming Egypt cruise.  My dad and Gary get along well.

I don't enjoy Don Batten's 'sense of humour' though.

And Tas Walker talks to himself out loud to a degree that I find rather odd.

• Thank You 2

I decided to take a look at what Justice is up to and it appears he and Kelcie are no longer an item.  Perhaps they are taking a break?  I don't see any evidence of past outings together.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

Yeah, I noticed that he more or less disappeared from Kelcie's Insta, including her stories, which used to feature him a fair amount. She still comments on Faith's posts once in awhile, so I assume it wasn't a totally acrimonious breakup (if that's what it was). Maybe they are just taking a break.

• Thank You 1

On 11/1/2019 at 1:21 PM, Palimpsest said:

Wait!  I'm catching up here so this is from a few pages back.  Isn't this the same Levi who jilted Jessica Boyer?  Small Fundie world. 

:popcorn2:Oh boy, I LOVE reading examples of fundie hypocrisy.  Especially regarding courting/relationship stuff. I haven't followed the Boyers at all, so I think I'm about to go down a rabbit hole, starting with the link @thoughtful provided.   See you guys later.  If ya'll start getting reaction notifications from a few years ago, that will be me.  ?

• Haha 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic