IGNORED

Jana 8: Now with Instagram

Coconut Flan

@picklepizza if you have a subsidiary account under your own name and SS number it still counts as "your" banking history despite the fact someone else really can control it. The account can be under Jimboob but have Jana's name and SS. 

Edited by kmachete14
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Yeah, adult children should have their own accounts in most cases. Both my kids got checking accounts when they got jobs at 16/17, and they had they parental control since they were minors. when my son turned 18 he asked that we remove ourselves from the account, and we did.  Our DD is 19 and we still have access to her account, but this is for her convenience, as a college student (she is a freshman), I can move money into her account (and out but I don't)  from my couch if needed. I imagine it will be like this for a while, if she continues on her current path she has about 7 to 8 more years of schooling ahead of her. 

• Upvote 6

Let’s just wait and see if people will protest and make the company drop Jana. My guess is not. Because she is a favourite to many and that makes me kind of sad for Jill. Jana has no more claims to shill beauty products than Jill for sport. 

Don’t get me wrong. I am all for letting them shill stuff because I don’t have to buy it. But what makes me really uncomfortable is how some sisters get a pass (and the bending some people do to explain why) while Jill gets beat down every time. It’s not as if Jana, Joy or Jessa are not totally in line to the crap Derick (not Jill) spills on the internet.

• Upvote 16

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Yeah, adult children should have their own accounts in most cases. Both my kids got checking accounts when they got jobs at 16/17, and they had they parental control since they were minors. when my son turned 18 he asked that we remove ourselves from the account, and we did.  Our DD is 19 and we still have access to her account, but this is for her convenience, as a college student (she is a freshman), I can move money into her account (and out but I don't)  from my couch if needed. I imagine it will be like this for a while, if she continues on her current path she has about 7 to 8 more years of schooling ahead of her. 

Yes this is the biggest reason im glad I forgot to remove my mom from my acct. Whenever a payment comes up that I wasn't expecting, and can't afford without going in to my savings (I work part time to pay for my extra expenses/"wants", but my mom is covering my bills and approx. half of my food through graduation, and now also the summer since I will be completely a grad certificate), I message my mom about it and she will generally transfer a certain amount to help me out. For example, she paid for half of a new mattress pad about a month ago to see if it would help with my increased insomnia. It did! and I wouldn't have been willing to pay the full amount on my own since it would've required using some of my savings. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 5

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Our DD is 19 and we still have access to her account, but this is for her convenience, as a college student (she is a freshman), I can move money into her account (and out but I don't)  from my couch if needed.

This is what I'd like to do with my college kid.  He has his own checking account that he puts his own work money in---I just want to be able to deposit money, rather than mailing a check.  I wonder if I can get him to add me just for that purpose?

In other news, I want to add someone to my own account who just wants to be able to deposit money into it.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

I'm confused, why do you need access to their bank accounts to move money into them?  Here (in Australia) we have a BSB and account number.  We use those to transfer money...

I don't know that my parents have had access to my bank account even when I was a kid...

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

You can always PayPal money. We do this if I need my sister to do anything for me in England. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

You can use Venmo or Zelle (depending on your bank) to send money between accounts. My mom uses Zelle to send money when I pay for her airfare or other expenses when planning travel together. I’m 36 and still have her on my accounts - I opened them as a teenager, so I had to have her on at first, but never bothered changing it. It’s kind of nice having the peace of mind knowing she could easily access things if I were ever incapacitated. I’m also listed on her accounts for the same reason. We have a good relationship and are respectful of each other - she would never look at my accounts without asking me first, and definitely wouldn’t take money out of my account.

• Upvote 3

You don't need to be on your kids accounts to deposit money.  Every major US bank has some sort of electronic banking program - be it Zelle or something else.  I am not on my college students' accounts and every month I send their allowance to them via Zelle.  It is available to them immediately.  Our accounts are held at the same bank.  I believe that it takes a bit longer if it needs to go to a different bank.

Having someone on your account might be a good idea in case of illness/death. But even then it doesn’t mean things go smoothly. When my father died the bank blocked their joined account when my mother notified them. The policy for them is to wait till the inheritance is worked out. Which wasn’t fun as it was her salary and stuff too. Thankfully we hadn’t to rely on that money because it took some time till everything was officially sorted out (German administrations are very thorough and therefore take forever). Lesson learned- don’t notify your bank till you get the inheritance documents ready. 

There is actually no real need to be on the account of someone. Just put your informations somewhere safe and make sure someone you trust knows where to find it in case it’s needed. 

My parents were on my first bank account. Age 12-16/18 I think. Just because I wasn’t legally able to sign it myself.  They were definitely off when I turned 18. But even then they didn’t look into it. Those kids accounts are often set up to not be overdraft so children learn how it works without falling into dept.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

My parents never had access to my accounts as soon as I turned 18.

They could easily transfer money via the website of the bank and now also via an app. We even have an app here where you can request money and people pay by simply clicking the link and approving.

Very convenient when you are having dinner with a group and you want to split the bill later.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

I'm confused, why do you need access to their bank accounts to move money into them?  Here (in Australia) we have a BSB and account number.  We use those to transfer money...

I don't know that my parents have had access to my bank account even when I was a kid...

Similar in the UK. I've had my own account since I was 16 that my parents had no access to at all. If they wanted to give me money, I gave them the account number and sort code and they did it that way.

I'm 22 and they still have me on a direct debit to pay for my car since I wouldn't be able to have it otherwise! Huge love for my parents.

Plus, like someone further up, they pay for some of the larger, unseen expenses. I had to move a lot earlier than I had expected which decimated my savings (£1800 moving costs - my savings were £1850 at that point) so they bought me a cheap sofa to put in my front room. I would've just sat on the floor otherwise.

In other news, why wouldn't the umbrella of protection extend to finances? I don't see it making any logical sense to allow a daughter financial freedom while limiting all other aspects of their freedom.

Edited by victoriasponge
  • Upvote 4

I expect Jana has an account with her “walking around” money, and JB keeps tabs on it, even if he isn’t named on the account. 

As many others have noted, Jana seems to be fully on board with the Duggar way of life. Why would she object to sharing financial information with her parents (who are also functionally her business partners)? 

• Upvote 8

Also it’s not like Jana is going out weekends spending money on meth, booze and male strippers. Why would She care if JB knows she bought extra paint at Hobby Lobby or the expensive paper towels at Wal mart ? 

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Born Skeptic said:

You don't need to be on your kids accounts to deposit money.  Every major US bank has some sort of electronic banking program - be it Zelle or something else.  I am not on my college students' accounts and every month I send their allowance to them via Zelle.  It is available to them immediately.  Our accounts are held at the same bank.  I believe that it takes a bit longer if it needs to go to a different bank.

I pay the rent with Zelle, and my sons and I exchange money that way. The first transaction had a $500 maximum, but after that it became $2500, and it's instant, though they all have a different bank than me. 

Except the fact she got into advertisting business for real, Jana looks really happy, and the dress is beautiful. I would wear it.

• Upvote 4

I never had a problem depositing money into DDs account without being on her account. Banks don't care who puts money in! Now taking it out, that's another story.

I used PayPal until recently to send individuals money, but recently discovered Zelle. Zelle is great, very simple, and the money goes directly into the account of the recipient. No need to transfer it like with PayPal. Both people need to have banks that participate in Zelle, and enrolling is super simple.

On 3/23/2019 at 7:02 PM, backyard sylph said:

I believe that it takes a bit longer if it needs to go to a different bank.

Nope, still happens just about instantaneously.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I never had a problem depositing money into DDs account without being on her account. Banks don't care who puts money in! Now taking it out, that's another story.

I used PayPal until recently to send individuals money, but recently discovered Zelle. Zelle is great, very simple, and the money goes directly into the account of the recipient. No need to transfer it like with PayPal. Both people need to have banks that participate in Zelle, and enrolling is super simple.

Nope, still happens just about instantaneously.

You quoted me instead of whoever said it wasn't instant. I did say it is instant.

I, too, liked Jana more pre-insta. Its quite a blatant reminder that she has drank just as much kool-aide as the rest of them. False sense of hope for this one has been lost :shakehead2:

I could do without all the advertisements. (not just hers, but anyone's to be honest)

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Jana is adverting the same citrusandlemon that Jill is and Jana looks so much better doing it.  I credit/fault clothing choice among other things.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Carlin has worn a bunch of that Citrus Lemon brand. I don't think hers was advertising tho. They actually have a lot of cute stuff that I would wear. It's just that Jill doesn't know how to pose or photograph well. Jana is better at it.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I have to say, it's not the *most* consistently fundie-styled brand given some of their clothing. Lots of it's pretty modest, but then there are the bikinis.

How does this swimsuit even work? There's no way that wouldn't come off the shoulders if you tried to swim in it, but wouldn't you get weird enormous tan lines if you used it for sunbathing?

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

We had our kids open up accounts that we were linked to at our bank when they got their first jobs, then, went the went to college, we could easily transfer money to them for various expenses. Our 25 year old is still using it because we transfer her money for wedding expenses, as she lives in another state and is doing a lot of the planning there. Once her and her fiancé are married, I'm sure she will open up an account somewhere else with him. It's been useful for us, and we never go in there to see what she or her sister are spending their money on. Maybe if they were asking for excess money from us or raising concerns we would, but they've been pretty responsible and never given us reason to be nosy.

• Upvote 3

Jana posted an Instagram with a Charles Spurgeon quote. I mean, obviously this family likes him a lot, given Jessa’s firstborn’s name. But I feel like they’ve been posting about Charles Spurgeon a lot lately— Jinger is reading a book about his wife too. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed duplicate post.
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic