IGNORED

Dillards 71: YAAAAAY

Coconut Flan

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, onekidanddone said:

Martha Speaks, Maya & Miguel, and of course Arthur were great.  Cyberchase, WordWorld, and WordGirl  (I renamed it WordHurl) made me want to cut the cord of the TV while it was still on.

Confession: I'd watch Sagwa, Wishbone and Arthur even if my kid wasn't around. 

I'm part of the original Zoom generation, and as a kid wanted to be on the show. Living in Providence, RI I suppose I could have tried to audition, but never got up the nerve to try. I still have have the Zoom catalog from the 70s

Hahahah yes! I remember those shows! And Reading Rainbow too. Time flies!

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/29/2018 at 7:48 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I've never seen a fundy man that would be remotely considered 'alpha' in the real world.

I've long felt that was a major draw for them to their lifestyle.  

You hit the nail squarely on the head!!

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Am I misremembering or confusing fundies?  I thought that the Duggars were against animals speaking.

I believe it was the Maxwells who were vocal about there being no talking animals in children's books. The Duggars may very well believe the same thing, though.

Also, for better or worse (okay definitely worse), I think Michael Pearl is an alpha. 

I don’t think Michael Pearl is an alpha (if such a thing can even be said to exist in human populations, which I think is highly debatable). He’s influential in a small, isolated circle, he obviously thinks he’s an alpha, but I think the majority would view him as irrelevant, creepy, and basically pathetic.

I have often wondered if John Piper is such a raging misogynoist due to incredible insecurities about his own masculinity. He's only about 5'4 and built for a desk job. Yet he struts and blusters like he's a black belt doing MMA. 

(I am not knocking small built men, only men who compensate for their insecurities by being a misogynist.) 

48 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I have often wondered if John Piper is such a raging misogynoist due to incredible insecurities about his own masculinity. He's only about 5'4 and built for a desk job. Yet he struts and blusters like he's a black belt doing MMA. 

(I am not knocking small built men, only men who compensate for their insecurities by being a misogynist.) 

I'd venture to add to this, just insecurity in general. Even if you're a mediocre (or worse) guy in fundieland, you're still better than a woman. :my_confused:

Skye is Miniway’s favourite Paw Patrol and he has a pink dress with Skye and Everest that is just the prettiest thing he has ever seen.

When he was little Peppa Pig used to be the only show he would watch at all. I don’t see him picking up any bad behaviours from it but I hate how it’s gendered. There is one episode about boy- and girlgames that I always try to turn off. And one about Daddy Pig and his football jearsey that make my blood boil. They also portrait Daddy Pig so dumb. 

It was a glorious day when Miniway started liking other shows. He still watches some Peppa though. 

2 hours ago, mpheels said:

Didn’t the Duggars do voiceover work for a Christian animated show with talking animals? 

yes they did, I think it was life at the pond or whatever it's called.  did they do an episode about that on TV or have i just had the unfortunate experience of actually hearing a rerun of it on the radio on a Sunday night one time. ha. either way! not great

I had the Little Bear books when I was a girl and was delighted that it was a show when my kids were little. That was our favorite show. Also Arthur, Cyberchase, Wishbone, Franklin, Rugrats, and The Wild Thornberries.

2 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

It was a glorious day when Miniway started liking other shows. He still watches some Peppa though. 

I think our boys are the same age and I dont know if this is available to you but there is an Australian kids show called Bluey and my son (ok and me) LOVES it. If you can access it from your location, its worth a watch! abc.net.au/abcforkids/shows/s4894252.htm

Bluey follows a blue heeler pup who lives with her parents and her four-year-old sister, Bingo, in Brisbane. Mundane activities like going to the shops and visiting the doctor become an opportunity for imaginative play. Children’s television is awash with cartoons in which talking animals learn life lessons, but Bluey stands out from the blur of daytime television with its sharp script, its Brisbane setting and its ability to plumb the unexpected depths of everyday family life.

Also, i cannot stand that fucking pig.... her and that bloody Dora. LOL

@fluffernutter,  thanks for mentioning The Wild Thornberrys!  My girls loved that show.  Nigel, of course, was voiced by the inimitable Tim Curry and Eliza was Lacey Chabert.  

I had a professor in college who bragged about meeting Wishbone. Several years later my parents took me to visit the house of a woman who tutored my brothers for the SAT to check out her cattery. Her husband was that professor. Small world.

Fantastic live-action Dora the Explorer trailer (do not watch with small children around due to potty language)

3 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I had the Little Bear books when I was a girl and was delighted that it was a show when my kids were little. That was our favorite show. Also Arthur, Cyberchase, Wishbone, Franklin, Rugrats, and The Wild Thornberries.

My two grew up with Little Bear, Rugrats and the Wild Thornberries I loved these programmes too! Good memories

6 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

I think our boys are the same age and I dont know if this is available to you but there is an Australian kids show called Bluey and my son (ok and me) LOVES it. If you can access it from your location, its worth a watch! abc.net.au/abcforkids/shows/s4894252.htm

Bluey follows a blue heeler pup who lives with her parents and her four-year-old sister, Bingo, in Brisbane. Mundane activities like going to the shops and visiting the doctor become an opportunity for imaginative play. Children’s television is awash with cartoons in which talking animals learn life lessons, but Bluey stands out from the blur of daytime television with its sharp script, its Brisbane setting and its ability to plumb the unexpected depths of everyday family life.

Also, i cannot stand that fucking pig.... her and that bloody Dora. LOL

I’m actually in Australia right now! :)

Will definitly check it up. Sounds like a good show. He watches lots of weird stuff on youtube, like kids opening presents and all those horribly annoying baby shark videos. Need to lure him away from that crap. 

I got to watching kid TV shows with my grandchildren several years ago.  One of my all-time favorites, which is no longer running on cable, was Backyardigans.  I loved the music and imaginative adventure on that show. I also liked the characters, especially Uniqua.   I dressed up like her one year for Halloween.  I'm sure I liked that show more than my grandkids did.

Uniqua.png

It doesn't surprise me that second gen fundies are more lenient with letting their kids watch cartoons. They've realized what a great temporary babysitter the TV actually makes. 

On 1/1/2019 at 12:34 PM, viii said:

LOVE Daniel Tiger, watch it with my nieces and nephew. 

We're a Daniel Tiger family here, too! My 3 year old is obsessed. She even has a little trolley and all the characters that she plays with. Granted, she also loves Paw Patrol... but I suppose there are much worse shows. 

39 minutes ago, Drala said:

I got to watching kid TV shows with my grandchildren several years ago.  One of my all-time favorites, which is no longer running on cable, was Backyardigans.  I loved the music and imaginative adventure on that show. I also liked the characters, especially Uniqua.   I dressed up like her one year for Halloween.  I'm sure I liked that show more than my grandkids did.

Uniqua.png

Awww I can totally hear that song in my head now! My youngest watched that. 

The John Piper crack above reminded me that I saw this from Rachel Held Evans on Twitter this morning.  (Desiring God = gues who).

3 minutes ago, clueliss said:

The John Piper crack above reminded me that I saw this from Rachel Held Evans on Twitter this morning.  (Desiring God = gues who).

Marry?  Are you sure that’s a good idea for the Bible?  I’ve already left two husbands - marriage to me is no sure thing

19 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'd venture to add to this, just insecurity in general. Even if you're a mediocre (or worse) guy in fundieland, you're still better than a woman. :my_confused:

Every dude from my high school who is now fundie/fundie-lite struggled in school, was not particularly good at any sports or activities, and didn't have all that many accomplishments to speak of.  And they are all obsessed with the whole "man leads the woman" aspect of things.

So you can imagine the enjoyment I take out of their pseudo-intellectualism when posting FRC research studies or the patronizing tone they take with women when discussing theology. 

11 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Every dude from my high school who is now fundie/fundie-lite struggled in school, was not particularly good at any sports or activities, and didn't have all that many accomplishments to speak of.  And they are all obsessed with the whole "man leads the woman" aspect of things.

So you can imagine the enjoyment I take out of their pseudo-intellectualism when posting FRC research studies or the patronizing tone they take with women when discussing theology. 

Now I'm really wondering why my father went into fundie-dom along with my mother. I don't know if it was the average fundie dynamic. My parents were both aggressive and self-centered, and my mother, with all her talk about "submission," really didn't "submit" to my father in any meaningful way. And my father was more concerned with the rules of worship and the organized church than he was with "guiding" the family. He considered going into ministry at one point. 

They were both very Type A, with excellent grades in college. My father, before his illnesses, was macho, quick-witted, physically powerful, and charismatic. 

I really don't know what started their spiral into fundiedom. It's been a mystery to me for years. 

Have we discussed Derick’s blog were he makes up a wild story about being 400 lbs (and losing it) to introduce common sense knowledge about setting personal goals?

I read it and was like, oh Jesus this man is not capable of a compelling, well-developed  and persuasive argument.  

He was telling me things everyone knows and I still doubted him because of his credibility.    

I can’t imagine him in a court room. 

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/derick-dillard-slammed-for-lying-about-his-weight-on-twitter/

Seriously I don't understand how he thinks little stunts like this are going to help his reputation. It just pisses people off and makes him look more like a sketch liar. It's very patronizing

Also, him using weight loss as an example to school people that you have to actually work to accomplish things is annoying coming from someone who has probably never been close to overweight in his life.

He should work harder at making content that people really want to see to accomplish getting more social media clicks. Instead it is bullshit and tricks. Take your own advice D and put the work in.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived