IGNORED

Dillards 71: YAAAAAY

Coconut Flan

Reading the “story” on the Dillards’ blog was not in anyway impressive or indicative of making a strong point. It was a rather low level stab at ATTEMPTING to make a point. If Derrick actually wrote that, he should have made obtaining and keeping a job rather than a weight loss struggle as his focus. Using his own life and experiences as material, he could have fashioned a great fake scenario. 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Lisafer, I know structure and rules are very appealing and soothing to some who enter fundamentalism. I also think the moral aspect of we are going to save society and the world is appealing. My father while fundie lightish also read books by the Dalai Lama because he thought there was general wisdom in them. He wasn't concerned about putting prayer back into public schools. He also thought Christians got to overly fussed about manipulating the political system. Fundies do vary on an individual level.

Maybe Derick should take that are you going to heaven or hell quiz the Duggar’s love to promote. I’m pretty sure one of the questions asks if you’ve ever lied. 

As someone who has health problems that make it difficult to shed weight and is overweight. Shut up Derprick! You entitled twit. You know what you should work on? Being a better dad and husband to your family. Also pick a damn career and stick to it ya lazy, gagging hippy.

As far as men's insecurities go, I think there's a lot of that going on with young men today, regardless of whether they're fundie or not.

My brother, for instance, is kind of exactly what you'd I agine picturing a millennial male: literally lives in our parents basement, games most of the day, struggling to find gainful employment, etc (I'm the same, except I live in my childhood bedroom, not the basement).

Anyways, he's constant neggi g on himself about his height and weight--hes 5'4 and his last of was several inches taller than him so I think there's some bitterness there, but lately he's really been like talking about how fat he is and Im so confused about why he's thinking that because he's a fourth degree black belt in taekwondo and a part-time instructor at the local dojang and he's incredibly fit. I'm always telling him this, though, and I think he just sees himself differently than I do. Because I'm his sister, I love him unconditionally and he just doesn't have that perspective, I guess.

But I think if I brought up the term "fundie" in a convo with him, he'd be super confused and after I explained it to him, I think he'd be even more confused, like, what's the appeal of that supposed to be?

I get that the rules and rigidity could be compelling, especially for like, insecure unemployed millennials, but I also think anyone sane would be like, really?

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Reading the “story” on the Dillards’ blog was not in anyway impressive or indicative of making a strong point. It was a rather low level stab at ATTEMPTING to make a point. If Derrick actually wrote that, he should have made obtaining and keeping a job rather than a weight loss struggle as his focus. Using his own life and experiences as material, he could have fashioned a great fake scenario. 

LOL except he has failed spectacularly as a "job type person."  So it'd be a bit of a flat conclusion.

I honestly can't think if one particularly compelling success Derick's had over adversity IRL.  At least none he's discussed.

43 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Maybe Derick should take that are you going to heaven or hell quiz the Duggar’s love to promote. I’m pretty sure one of the questions asks if you’ve ever lied. 

Off to find that quiz. Purely for my own amusement.

16 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

I honestly can't think if one particularly compelling success Derick's had over adversity IRL.  At least none he's discussed.

Derick’s personal narrative could be pretty inspirational if he wasn’t such a lazy asshat.  He lost his dad at a young age and nearly lost his mom a few years later.  If he had channeled that experience into helping others struggling with parental loss or seriously ill parents, our perception of him would be much different.

It's a bit weird that he chose the 400lb weightloss "story" as his made up resolution post given that he is very clearly underweight with very poor muscle mass and muscle tone. I don't think it's anyone's place to judge another person's body shape but his choice to concentrate on this is just plain weird given how he himself looks. 

"the quizz" is a common trick used by fundie types on Christian tracts and whatnot...the idea is that everyone lies at some point if they are alive therefore everyone is a sinner and needs Jesus. the trick is that nobody passes the quizz. That's how you get a young Jinger (for example) to believe she is an unworthy and terrible sinner that is for sure going to hell without Jesus. Remember that time you were 5 and hid a toy from you sibling and pretended to know nothing of it....yeah you are going to burn in hell or that...just so you know. lucky for you there is Jesus.

3 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

Off to find that quiz. Purely for my own amusement.

let me know how you go... 

For anyone who's still confused WTF Derick is talking about, the 400 pounds anecdote is just a hypothetical example he threw out to illustrate his boring main point. He's not actually claiming to have weighed 400 pounds:

If this story sounds too good to be true, that’s because it is.  There’s a lot of talk this time of year about making resolutions.  Whether you intend to make a physical, financial, spiritual, or some other resolution, it’s important to have a game-plan for success. Just before heading off to serve in Nepal, in January 2012 a leader at my orientation shared some wise advice that has helped me roadmap various goals since then.  

A game plan for success? Derick, you may want to start taking your own advice before inflicting it on others. Just sayin’...

I don't understand why anyone would start a post off with a huge obvious lie (like weighing 400 lbs) and then think anyone will believe that the rest of the writing is true. You start with a lie, are you finishing with a bigger one? No thanks. Credibility gone.

He's satirizing all those resolution/lifestyle posts. The problem is that he's doing it poorly. Whenever Derick tries to be satirical, it falls flat. Either people don't get it (which is at least partially on him - your satire is no good if nobody understands that it's satire), or they get it but they don't think it's funny. He's not a very good writer, he lacks a certain social awareness or nuance, and he obviously thinks he has a dry sense of humour but it just comes across as mean, obtuse, and/or lame 99% of the time.

People, come on. We'll NEVER be as successful as Derick. We, especially us women, need Derick to show us the game plan for success.

Meanwhile us chumps continue to buy THREE TVs for $3000 at Walmart on Black Friday thinking we got a deal, right Derick? 

5 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

It's a bit weird that he chose the 400lb weightloss "story" as his made up resolution post given that he is very clearly underweight with very poor muscle mass and muscle tone. I don't think it's anyone's place to judge another person's body shape but his choice to concentrate on this is just plain weird given how he himself looks. 

sounds like if you re- read what he wrote - it's not true about the 400 weight gain - he was being obtuse and obnoxious - to me that sounds like what he is saying 

am I wrong? 

If this story sounds too good to be true, that’s because it is.  - this is what he says...

Satire and sarcasm are all fine and dandy, but you can't summarize complex issues with a simple Aesop's Fables moral. So Derick just makes me roll my eyes. The whole point was dumb.

2 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

For anyone who's still confused WTF Derick is talking about, the 400 pounds anecdote is just a hypothetical example he threw out to illustrate his boring main point. He's not actually claiming to have weighed 400 pounds:

and i totally get that half an hour later. Because I am slow :D

I can't stand ofjill 

11 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Satire and sarcasm are all fine and dandy, but you can't summarize complex issues with a simple Aesop's Fables moral. So Derick just makes me roll my eyes. The whole point was dumb.

this is the type of person he is and he is endlessly studying and thinking he is smarter when in reality he is frustrating and high on his pheromones. 

25 minutes ago, nst said:

sounds like if you re- read what he wrote - it's not true about the 400 weight gain - he was being obtuse and obnoxious - to me that sounds like what he is saying 

am I wrong? 

If this story sounds too good to be true, that’s because it is.  - this is what he says...

Yes, that's why I said in my post that it was made up.

This blog post absolutely infuriated me because it was so obnoxious. The absurd exaggerated example of weight loss was just so uninformed and exaggerated and meaningless (Why not talk about his own actual struggles or accomplishments?) and then the whole post is just recycled material with no added personal input of any relevance. Although I think he did mention that he didn't come up with the idea, its presented as though its his own brilliant insight, why bother to make that a blog post? I wish I hadn't clicked on it, because I assume clicks=$ however small an amount. 

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

He's satirizing all those resolution/lifestyle posts. The problem is that he's doing it poorly. Whenever Derick tries to be satirical, it falls flat. Either people don't get it (which is at least partially on him - your satire is no good if nobody understands that it's satire), or they get it but they don't think it's funny. He's not a very good writer, he lacks a certain social awareness or nuance, and he obviously thinks he has a dry sense of humour but it just comes across as mean, obtuse, and/or lame 99% of the time.

You can't write effective satire with a non-existent wit, very ordinary vocabulary and disinterest in the greater world.

It takes a level of intellect that Derick just doesn't possess.

He's a great example of a person who is nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived