IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 6: They're More Frightened of Her than Ashamed

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, Lgirlrocks said:

New blog post up. She does a much better job explaining what’s going on in pictures than Sarah. 

Looking at the photos of the Bontrager extended family Thanksgiving really makes the Maxwell Thanksgiving look spartan. I wonder if John had ever seen that much food at a family dinner ever in his life.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Black Aliss said:

Looking at the photos of the Bontrager extended family Thanksgiving really makes the Maxwell Thanksgiving look spartan. I wonder if John had ever seen that much food at a family dinner ever in his life.

I was thinking the same thing. It was a ton of food. 

And, assimilation is full even if not entirely complete. Just a couple days ago, I said all she needed, among other things, was to refer to the "crew". And...she titled a picture "The Christmas Caroling Crew". And, they had "special family nights" - another sign I figued would indicate her absorbtion into Maxhell. 

Didn't take long at all. 

I also noticed that not one of her three single Maxwell "sisters" appears to have attened Allison's single girls retreat. Right there in Kansas, and all the girls at John & Chelsy's - and still, not a Maxwell single girl to be found. Steve has a short leash on those girls. 

*Edited because I repeated myself and it sounded lame.

2 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

And, assimilation is full even if not entirely complete. Just a couple days ago, I said all she needed, among other things, was to refer to the "crew". And...she titled a picture "The Christmas Caroling Crew". Didn't take long at all. And, they had "special family nights" - another sign I figued would indicate her absorbtion into Maxhell. 

Didn't take long at all. 

I also noticed that not one of her three single Maxwell "sisters" appears to have attending Allison's single girls retreat. Right there in Kansas, and all the girls at John & Chelsy's - and still, not a Maxwell single girl to be found. Steve has a short leash on those girls. 

Those girls are prisoners. A woman in her late 30’s isn’t allowed the freedom to go a single ladies retreat at her brother’s house?

25 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

That pie spread! 

It looks like John and Chelsy babysat Joseph & Elissa's kids at some point. Kyle is a cute baby - he looks a bit like Bethany to me.

This really made me gag especially after Poor Sarah's birthday post:  Morning tea, cinnamon rolls, and chatting with my mother-in-law. I LOVE having all my inlaws living so close by and getting to spend lots of time together---it definitely helps me not to miss my Iowa family as much!

I just ducked over to Chelsy’s blog, and her account of travels and hosting over the holidays left me dizzy! I could admire the Bontragers if not for their toxic homophobia, antifeminism, and anti-choice screeds.

14 hours ago, fundiefan said:

And, assimilation is full even if not entirely complete. Just a couple days ago, I said all she needed, among other things, was to refer to the "crew". And...she titled a picture "The Christmas Caroling Crew". And, they had "special family nights" - another sign I figued would indicate her absorbtion into Maxhell. 

Didn't take long at all. 

I also noticed that not one of her three single Maxwell "sisters" appears to have attened Allison's single girls retreat. Right there in Kansas, and all the girls at John & Chelsy's - and still, not a Maxwell single girl to be found. Steve has a short leash on those girls. 

*Edited because I repeated myself and it sounded lame.

Well, I guess some assimilation would happen eventually;  I have hopes  that Chelsy's temperament will prevail--she seems too much like her energetic mother to be fully sucked into Maxhell.  I think one of the reasons John married her is her outgoing personality.  My takeaway from her latest blog post: she revels in offering hospitality, has warm and close relationships with her extended family; mentioned with delight her brothers' winter football games; oh, and the abundance of delicious food! 

No way was Steve going to allow his daughters to spend time at the girls retreat, why some of the attendees were attired rather whorishly in jeans. They may have even swapped makeup tips between spiritual talks and talked about young men courting them. I think he barely tolerates Bontrager women.  

Do I spy a bottle of wine?

I thought it was John who got upset when he was a child to see booze being served at a restaurant....

FD54FD92-62B4-4EC9-8D16-3D9E3B832F04.jpeg

24 minutes ago, johnhugh said:

I thought it was John who got upset when he was a child to see booze being served at a restaurant....

Sparking Grape Juice.

When they were touring with their conference, Steve made it a point to never go into a restaurant where there was a bar, he’d make one of his kids check for one. At one point, they had no choice but to eat in a restaurant with a bar, and John felt very guilty/uncomfortable about doing so, because of Steve’s brainwashing. 

I don’t want to know what Steve said to the kids to make John feel that bad about it.

16 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

When they were touring with their conference, Steve made it a point to never go into a restaurant where there was a bar, he’d make one of his kids check for one. At one point, they had no choice but to eat in a restaurant with a bar, and John felt very guilty/uncomfortable about doing so, because of Steve’s brainwashing. 

I don’t want to know what Steve said to the kids to make John feel that bad about it.

The adult male Maxwell’s have likely gone to at least one wedding or event where alcohol was served. Joe and Elyssa took Calia to a very mainstream looking wedding of her cousin. 

3 hours ago, johnhugh said:

Those tall candles look just like the ones I use for spellwork.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

I had a meltdown as a child because one of my new homeschooled Christian friends celebrated Halloween. I literally cried when I got home from the playdate, because I'd been raised to believe that Halloween was so evil! I feel bad for John as a child, he sounds like he was really conscientious and it made the brainwashing worse.

@Granwych I'm not laughing at your spellwork, I do that too, I'm laughing at how horrified the Maxwells would be by such pagan practices!

9 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Interesting. Didn't Chelsy mention that the Cheesecake Factory is her favorite restaurant? They sure do have a bar at the Cheesecake Factory. I wonder if she's still allowed to go...

On 1/15/2019 at 4:10 PM, mango_fandango said:

in her blog post she said they’d be finding out the gender,

I wonder if she specifically said it that way to be transphobic.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:37 AM, Jana814 said:

Steve definitely has a short leash on those girls. I have a client who’s daughter had more freedom at 16 then Sarah does at 37. 

As was said in the main Maxthread, cloistered nuns have more freedom than Sarah.

15 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Sparking Grape Juice.

The label looks like Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider to me. We shared a bottle to toast the New Year (so that the kids could join in and I could safely drive home), so the label is fresh in my memory.

Martinelli's is pretty popular here in LDS country. I've seen it at many LDS and non-LDS wedding receptions.

ETA--I mean the back label, like this:

Spoiler

20190120_233825.thumb.jpg.814feff5cbbbb0b276710274b71d4224.jpg

8 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

I wonder if she specifically said it that way to be transphobic.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would finding out the gender of an unborn child be transphobic?

7 minutes ago, meee said:

Pardon my ignorance, but why would finding out the gender of an unborn child be transphobic?

This. I’m gay and when I have children I’ll find out the gender, it has nothing to do with transgender issues. I just want to know boy or girl? 

6 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

This. I’m gay and when I have children I’ll find out the gender, it has nothing to do with transgender issues. I just want to know boy or girl? 

I’m obviously not @CyborgKin but I assumed it was a reference to saying gender rather than sex.  

22 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I’m obviously not @CyborgKin but I assumed it was a reference to saying gender rather than sex.  

I think a lot of people think "gender" and "sex" are interchangeable, and especially when you're super religious you might prefer to say "gender" rather than that other word that is synonymous with "that icky thing that leads to disease and teen pregnancy and abortion." Just speculating. But I thought they were interchangeable until only a few years ago, so I'm not inclined to view using it that way as purposely trying to be a jerk.

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The adult male Maxwell’s have likely gone to at least one wedding or event where alcohol was served. Joe and Elyssa took Calia to a very mainstream looking wedding of her cousin. 

Weren't Joseph and Jesse in Las Vegas in some IT conference? Or at least Joseph?  Maybe it wasn't Las Vegas but it looked as an ordinary conference in a hotel and these places have bars. Someone posted pictures in twitter. Of course Titus2 blog has never showed any of these trips.

I wonder if while John was the difficult child, adult Joseph is being the *difficult* adult. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived