IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 6: They're More Frightened of Her than Ashamed

HerNameIsBuffy

Here is where I disagree. If he is paying the mortgage, taxes, insurance and upkeep and the REST of the monthly living expenses are split evenly, then it is his house. But if ALL monthly living expenses are split evenly you are paying part of the mortgage. He may write the check but you contributed.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DooDahDame said:

Here is where I disagree. If he is paying the mortgage, taxes, insurance and upkeep and the REST of the monthly living expenses are split evenly, then it is his house. But if ALL monthly living expenses are split evenly you are paying part of the mortgage. He may write the check but you contributed.

For years, that's what the law said. My grandmother, and many other women, lived through hell because of it. In 1970 my grandfather left her, after 25 years of marriage, 5 kids, countless affairs and decades of abuse. She got nothing. Zip. Zilch. The house was in his name. The pension was in his name. The bank accounts were in his name. Her name was on nothing, therefore, legally, nothing was hers. 

Laws changed in large part because of that treatment of spouses who don't bring home the bacon. 

If you're not married, you take your chances, but would always be wise to cover your butt and have agreements of cohabitation in place. If you're married, it's a whole different ball game. 

@fundiefan, I get what you’re saying, but divorce laws and practices vary greatly state by state in the US. It behooves every woman to lawyer up lest she get screwed.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived