IGNORED

Unmarried Fundies 6: After the Rapture

Bethella

I doubt the Campanas live like most huge fundie families. It’s kind of amazing since there’s such a Morton overlap since they lived in tents for awhile.

Is Jesse Maxwell courting someone who appears on their blog? The usual caroling post is up and there are at least three pictures where he's standing right next to the said young woman.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Eddiesmom said:

Is Jesse Maxwell courting someone who appears on their blog? The usual caroling post is up and there are at least three pictures where he's standing right next to the said young woman.

There are three people visiting and caroling with them. Two females that look like sisters and a male. They were described as friends. It’s hard to say if one of the girls is courting Jesse. They likely won’t say until there’s an engagement. 

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

45 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There are three people visiting and caroling with them. Two females that look like sisters and a male. They were described as friends. It’s hard to say if one of the girls is courting Jesse. They likely won’t say until there’s an engagement. 

Actually, not until there is a wedding. Unless the bride to be's family blogs or has an audience to announce to first. 

They only announced John & Chelsy's because the Bontragers, and Chelsy herself, announced it. 

Jessie will be married with a pregnant wife before any mention is made of him growing up and being a big boy in his own house. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Actually, not until there is a wedding. Unless the bride to be's family blogs or has an audience to announce to first. 

They only announced John & Chelsy's because the Bontragers, and Chelsy herself, announced it. 

Jessie will be married with a pregnant wife before any mention is made of him growing up and being a big boy in his own house. 

Lets hope Chelsy spills the beans

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

52 minutes ago, fish_ca said:

Let's the competition for the most convoluted courtship/engagement story continues...

http://samuellovessarah.com/

What the fuck is wrong with fundie dads? I swear they are sadists! First there was a miscommunication with dear old dad so the couple didn’t talk for three months. Then he had to go through six months of hell before dad would give his blessing. 

Warning for any fundie guys: Do not pursue a Stetzl daughter! 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

They like to think of this as dating with a purpose, but it seems designed to be as confusing and opaque as possible for all involved. So they wait around for months after the initial meeting because nobody knows who's supposed to say something first and they certainly can't just talk to one another.  Then instead of getting permission to begin a relationship with Sarah, he gets permission to get grilled by her dad on a regular basis? Only after that  are they allowed to speak to each other one on one.

There were many days during that 6 month period that I was completely unsure of which direction I was supposed to go. I reached out to many individuals seeking counsel and guidance about Sarah and the steps I was being led through by her parents and often walked away from those conversation more confused than before. I felt that many of these steps were unfair or over the top and yet I never had the peace of God to simply give up on Sarah and walk away. 

Wow, what a clear, divinely-appointed path! They are definitely avoiding the confusion and second-guessing of traditional dating. 

Also, they started courting because they knew they wanted to marry, they had "perfect peace" that they would be getting engaged, had already picked out a ring together, and yet when he proposes with that ring she says she would think about it? What is it with these people.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, fish_ca said:

Let's the competition for the most convoluted courtship/engagement story continues...

That was one of the most depressing things I've ever read. 

If any young adult woman in my family wanted to marry a man so insecure and wimpy as to kowtow to every word and command of someone else, I'd tell her to run. If any young adult man wanted to marry a girl for whom they had to jump through hoops and prostrate themselves, I'd tell him to run. 

Nothing about that story is right or healthy. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

Nothing about that story is right or healthy

Nothing about fundies is right or healthy. Courtship stories are usually a great indicator of how fucked in the head these fundie families are. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, fish_ca said:

Wow. He had to endure six months of questions that broke down his pride  before he was given permission to court. Would he had just gone away of bed dad said no? How old are they? Why do fundie adults allow their parents to micro manage their lives?

• Upvote 5

The Stetzls sound like yet another family who's really mired in the Church of Daddy-Said-So, regardless of their "long and challenging search to discover where God wanted our family next."

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

The Stetzls sound like yet another family who's really mired in the Church of Daddy-Said-So, regardless of their "long and challenging search to discover where God wanted our family next."

This, exactly. It's about daddy's ego, not about god or the girl or the boy. They over think everything and go out of their way to force their views (and insecurities) on everyone around them, at the expense of their families.

If, as they proclaim, god chooses your mate, wouldn't interest and attraction be enough? I mean, people meet and interact with other people every day of their lives (well, maybe not strict fundies, but overall....) and they are not attracted to or interested in every single member of the opposite sex (or same, as the case may be). If everything is a sign from their god, and controlled by their god and directed by their god, why do they have to take it all to daddy and his issues instead of just letting their god do his work? Attraction. Interest. Two people in 7 billion who find something in each other worth pursuing? 

None of this courtship crap is about any god. It's about an insecure, power hungry daddy who has manipulated and stifled his family to the extent that they don't breathe without doing his will first. 

• Upvote 23
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Iamhispurity said:

And she even has a Staddon in her big wedding party - that’s fundie bingo right there.

She’s a Neely Staddon and there’s a Wilkes. These families overlap so much. I’m sure there will be future weddings with the wedding parties filled with Staddons, Wilkeses, Wallers, and Stetzls.

• Upvote 9

our whole family really enjoyed getting to know him and he began to feel more and more like a big brother to me.

This is what creeped me out the most. ? I couldn't shake that statement, even as I read the myriad of other problems with control and communication through the rest of the story.

• Upvote 12

Oh yay. An uneducated 17 year old who grew up in a world of hate and violence preparing to procreate as soon as he crosses the magic line defined by the government of being an "adult". I can't even imagine what his household is going to be like. I don't want to. 

• Upvote 29
  • Love 1

I'm sure he's super excited about getting his own place, making his own rules, and living with his girlfriend. I don't think 18 is too young to do that. My kids will likely go to college, but if they choose not to, they could also work or do an apprenticeship and leave the house at 18.

What's crazy is that they will be married and probably PARENTS in their 18th year. That puts a pressure and a strain on any relationship, let alone a teenage one. 

• Upvote 8

12 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

I'm sure he's super excited about getting his own place, making his own rules, and living with his girlfriend. I don't think 18 is too young to do that. My kids will likely go to college, but if they choose not to, they could also work or do an apprenticeship and leave the house at 18.

What's crazy is that they will be married and probably PARENTS in their 18th year. That puts a pressure and a strain on any relationship, let alone a teenage one. 

And even crazier that they'll essentially have no way out. Yes, technically, legally they could get divorced, but they've been so brainwashed that I doubt they would even view it as a possibility, or if they did the threat of being shunned by their families/community would be insane. If my (hypothetical) child wanted to get married at 18, I wouldn't be thrilled, but I also wouldn't view it as that big of a deal - unless they told me they'd decided birth control was immoral and divorce was a sin. Then I'd be REALLY worried. I mean, I'd be worried if my 35-year-old child went that route, but at 18... yikes.

• Upvote 14

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic