IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 3: Living in the White Evangelical Bubble

Coconut Flan

12 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Same. While Josie's room is too Pinterest trendy for me, I really like decorating and am obsessively clean and neat. How I style and keep my house is one of the few things I'm proud of in my otherwise loser life.

Now I'm realizing that guests are walking in, silently rolling their eyes, and thinking "Impersonal, basic bitch." Damnit... ?

I would be thinking, dam does she wanna come clean and organise my house for me lol. I envy people who can keep their shit together. I am one box off a hoarders episode. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try not to judge any of these kiddults for their decorating since they never got to do that before.*

*Except for Erin and her princess bed....wtf forever.

17 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

the mirror/hanging plants are too 70's

They are back on trend now, so totally hipster-proof.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

*Except for Erin and her princess bed....wtf forever.

Still jealous of that bed.  If I were braver I'd have done that after my divorce.

18 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I am one box off a hoarders episode. 

This is me as well. The only reason our house is somewhat presentable is that Mr Way cleans it. 

My kids are 17mo. apart - and now recently turned six, and 4.5, and seriously we.are.just.now. *sort* of able to fake it enough when guests come over (with 48 hour notice).  We are constantly paring down, and downsizing, because frankly - I actually *like* to clean, but can only do so much because of my asthma.  SO having a minimal house (no baby gear, and constantly cycling through toys/clothes) allows me some validating autonomy with my house affairs ?  

I really like Josie's style - and in maybe a year, I can actually "decorate", and not just shove things into cabinets when people come over.  But I can admit, Pinterest has really got me liking the minimalism midcentury mixed with boho style (am I shameless millennial hipster then??) ?

I'm pretty organized, I like things to have a place and I do clean every week. (I have a small house and set the timer to challenge myself/get it done...). I will admit to a basket of books by the bed.  It's all for naught though. My house is truly decorated in the style of "spoiled dog". Toys strewn everywhere, couch cushions smushed, dog hair rolling like tumbleweeds, and I just found a tennis ball in the bathroom...

49 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

I'm pretty organized, I like things to have a place and I do clean every week. (I have a small house and set the timer to challenge myself/get it done...). I will admit to a basket of books by the bed.  It's all for naught though. My house is truly decorated in the style of "spoiled dog". Toys strewn everywhere, couch cushions smushed, dog hair rolling like tumbleweeds, and I just found a tennis ball in the bathroom...

this gave me a giggle. Our house is "spoiled cats". There's white cat fur on ALL the furniture, cat toys strewn about, cat hair dust bunnies on the floor, and right now, a cat curled up and crashed out on the other end of the couch and another one thinking he's all that, sound asleep with his head against the back of the rocking chair and his front paws crossed...someone needs to report us to the humane society for mistreating these furballs. 

On 11/20/2018 at 3:02 AM, feministxtian said:

My darling husband has requested that I only leave out the book I am reading. Otherwise, every surface in the house would have books on them.

My poor husband doesn't even get this option, since I can never commit to reading just one book at a time instead of 5 or 6. When I was a kid my mom used to joke she could always find me by following the trail of books I left lying around the house...still haven't grown out of that. 

Jeans and now a long bob..... yeah this girl had a “heart” for her parents rules. As per Josie’s Instagram story. 

45 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Jeans and now a long bob..... yeah this girl had a “heart” for her parents rules. As per Josie’s Instagram story. 

She’s definitely following Alyssa’s path. But Alyssa took it slower. She didn’t post a picture of herself in jeans right after her wedding and she waited until after she had a baby to cut her hair to shoulder length. Of course it’s long again now. I wonder what’s next for Josie. A streak of pink hair? A nose or extra ear piercing? A bikini?

11 hours ago, feministxtian said:

this gave me a giggle. Our house is "spoiled cats". There's white cat fur on ALL the furniture, cat toys strewn about, cat hair dust bunnies on the floor, and right now, a cat curled up and crashed out on the other end of the couch and another one thinking he's all that, sound asleep with his head against the back of the rocking chair and his front paws crossed...someone needs to report us to the humane society for mistreating these furballs. 

Is it me, or do white cats shed much more than other colored cats? I have four, and boy do they turn things white in a hurry, no matter how often I vacuum. My friends who have cats don't seem to have the equivalent of a cat shed each day!

3 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

My poor husband doesn't even get this option, since I can never commit to reading just one book at a time instead of 5 or 6. When I was a kid my mom used to joke she could always find me by following the trail of books I left lying around the house...still haven't grown out of that. 

May I give you a non-weird hug? I also tend to have several books going at one time. Usually a non-fiction or biography, which is intense but a slow read, a science fiction, which I'm learning to appreciate but isn't my natural genre (I've been eligible to vote for the Hugo's a couple of times, so feel the need to start reading/learning the genre better), a mystery/thriller, which can get too intense, a couple of book club books that I don't want to finish too early, and a women's fiction book or two. I also usually have a long book going that I like to read a couple of chapters out of a day. I know, to many, my style of reading is confusing to some, but I remind them that many people can watch more than one show during a television season, and don't confuse what's happening on Designated Survivor with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Librarians (boy do I miss that show), and Westworld or Game of Thrones.

Josie cut her hair and I have #thoughts re: the role of marriage for a young fundie woman/Josie, but I’m on a train into work and can’t get all the thoughts down right now 

The short hair looks fantastic on Josie! And while I don't think that cutting her hair and wearing pants means that she is changing her hateful beliefs, I do think it shows how little autonomy those adult children have in their lives until they get married. I wish they realized what bullshit their parents' rules are.

Fuck the patriarchy!

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

And while I don't think that cutting her hair and wearing pants means that she is changing her hateful beliefs,

Do we know that Josie shares these beliefs? Has she ever said anything political? My father had hateful beliefs that I never shared.

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

May I give you a non-weird hug? I also tend to have several books going at one time. Usually a non-fiction or biography, which is intense but a slow read, a science fiction, which I'm learning to appreciate but isn't my natural genre (I've been eligible to vote for the Hugo's a couple of times, so feel the need to start reading/learning the genre better), a mystery/thriller, which can get too intense, a couple of book club books that I don't want to finish too early, and a women's fiction book or two. I also usually have a long book going that I like to read a couple of chapters out of a day. I know, to many, my style of reading is confusing to some, but I remind them that many people can watch more than one show during a television season, and don't confuse what's happening on Designated Survivor with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Librarians (boy do I miss that show), and Westworld or Game of Thrones.

Non-weird hug returned, book soul-twin! I think the analogy to TV shows is brilliant. 

Right now I'm reading The History of Bees (which I just started and it's gorgeous), a new translation of the New Testament, a history of the middle ages, a piece of women's historical fiction in German (probably pretty cheesy, but I can't tell and need the practice), and a book of erotica.  All have different purposes! 

I have 4 books checked out from the library,one is going back soon,glad I did not buy this one.

I have 4 books coming from Thrift books.

I sometimes have two or three books I am reading,at the same,time.

I have 2 cats with longer hair.I have an orange tabby.I vacuum a few times a week.I need to vacuum the couch and chairs,now.Orange fur and longer "fluff".

1 hour ago, Hisey said:

Do we know that Josie shares these beliefs? Has she ever said anything political? My father had hateful beliefs that I never shared.

We dont know, but we know she choose to marry Kelton, who is a Trump supporter. Althought there is some instances were people with totally oposite ideologies fall in love i dont think its the case here.

I think Alyssa took it slower because she was the first daughter to make those changes. By now I think the younger daughters have been emboldened because Alyssa and Whitney have already blazed the trail for them.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:56 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Still jealous of that bed.  If I were braver I'd have done that after my divorce.

::small voice::. I kind of have that princess bed, and Mr. CL doesn’t even notice it anymore. It’s a white wrought iron frame with the mosquito net overhead, and a little white metal chandelier with prisms inside the net. The net drapes behind the headboard rather than down the sides of the mattress. The current linens are a lilac silk comforter embroidered with dusty-pink flowers, matching shams, and lilac flannel sheets. The frame sits up high enough that we use bed-steps. It’s all pretty damn princessy. The only thing Mr CL hates is the chandelier because he’s afraid it will fall off the ceiling onto him. But since he can’t see it in the dark, he quickly forgets that it’s there. 

4 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Is it me, or do white cats shed much more than other colored cats? I have four, and boy do they turn things white in a hurry, no matter how often I vacuum. My friends who have cats don't seem to have the equivalent of a cat shed each day!

I’m up in the air on this one. As the servant to a black cat, a gray cat, a white-and-black cat, and a dark-gray dog, there’s more dark pet hair by sheer quantity, but I do notice plenty of white hair on my dark-colored clothes and furniture. 

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Non-weird hug returned, book soul-twin! I think the analogy to TV shows is brilliant. 

Right now I'm reading The History of Bees (which I just started and it's gorgeous), a new translation of the New Testament, a history of the middle ages, a piece of women's historical fiction in German (probably pretty cheesy, but I can't tell and need the practice), and a book of erotica.  All have different purposes! 

I loved The History of Bees! After I read it I made my book club read it just so I’d get to talk to people about it. :)

28 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

I loved The History of Bees! After I read it I made my book club read it just so I’d get to talk to people about it. :)

The Soul of an Octopus is an excellent book club read too.

I'd love to see Josie's cut on half of the Duggar girls. I love it!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived