IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 3: Living in the White Evangelical Bubble

Coconut Flan

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

I can’t recall the commercial and I live about 6 blocks from one of their stores. Is it really pronounced Smythe?  

They don’t have the best customer service after they close a sale.

No the commercial is something like "Walter E. Smithe"  (pronounced the typical way for Smith) "Or do you say (and they then pronounce it like Smythe."

They were trying to be clever and failed - just ingrained in my head from childhood.

tumblr_piczljpSBd1t0tf55_540.jpg

The house looks great, but what a weird compliment, it almost looks like a parody: my wife is pretty and my house look like a pinterest board, what else would someone want? lol  Also are they stealing all the credit from the interior decorator?

I'm perplexed by that end table. It looks plush?? Which would make it really hard to place a drink on. Unless I'm just seeing it wrong. 

53 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I'm perplexed by that end table. It looks plush?? Which would make it really hard to place a drink on. Unless I'm just seeing it wrong. 

Is that a table?  I thought it was an ottoman.

6 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Such a high ottoman good for keeping ones legs up high lol ? I’ll show myself to the prayer closet. 

I like what they are attempting. It is not super polished.

I mean, yeah... it definitely looks like a Pinterest board. Super basic and totally impersonal. Which is fine if that's what you want. It's definitely not my style. But they just got married so maybe they'll add their personal touches over time.

It pains me to try and defend Kelton.  

His mom died when he was a kid and whenever they filmed at his house I could see the lack of decorating and warmth. It wasn’t a bad house, it just had zero personality and no personal touches. His Dad probably just isn’t into that.

I can see why Kelton, (although still a douche) would appreciate the appearance of his new home.

If these folks are such die-hard Christians, why is there so much focus on makeup videos, hairstyling videos and home decor? What are Josie, Kelton, Kelly, Gil and the rest doing for their community? Winter is coming, are they doing anything to help the homeless? I don't understand this relentless focus on superficial matters. I'm not saying she shouldn't decorate her apartment, but is this what being Christian means to the fans who follow them?

I sometimes wonder if Josie et all were all 50 pounds overweight if there'd be such interest in their family.  I suspect it's the family's conventional prettiness that draws the crowds, not their Christian-ness. They seem to do nothing to help anyone but themselves.

2 minutes ago, Hisey said:

I sometimes wonder if Josie et all were all 50 pounds overweight if there'd be such interest in their family.  I suspect it's the family's conventional prettiness that draws the crowds, not their Christian-ness. They seem to do nothing to help anyone but themselves.

I can answer that for you: absolutely not. The only reason they're on TV and anybody knows about them is because Gil and Kelly had 19 kids and they're all conventionally attractive. Even back when they would guest star on 19K&C all lined up in their matching prairie dresses and there was more of a WTF factor, they were cute. They're definitely not known due to their virtue or accomplishment. 

34 minutes ago, Hisey said:

If these folks are such die-hard Christians, why is there so much focus on makeup videos, hairstyling videos and home decor? What are Josie, Kelton, Kelly, Gil and the rest doing for their community? Winter is coming, are they doing anything to help the homeless? I don't understand this relentless focus on superficial matters. I'm not saying she shouldn't decorate her apartment, but is this what being Christian means to the fans who follow them?

THIS. So much this.  

6 hours ago, melon said:
15 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It reminds  me of a small saddle.

My first impression was a gymnastic vault. I do like her not-overdone-at-all style, though.

Oh man....if y'all hate basic and impersonal decorating you'd hate my house. ?Seriously though aside from the fact we do decorate with a lot of personal family photos, my house looks like a coastal living magazine. We like things to be clean, organized, matching. There's no eclectic decor happening at my house...haha. Aside from a little basket of toys and a bouncy seat in our living room you wouldn't know we have a baby here where as most of my friends have their kids shit strewn all over the place. 

55 minutes ago, LillyP said:

Oh man....if y'all hate basic and impersonal decorating you'd hate my house. ?Seriously though aside from the fact we do decorate with a lot of personal family photos, my house looks like a coastal living magazine. 

Same. While Josie's room is too Pinterest trendy for me, I really like decorating and am obsessively clean and neat. How I style and keep my house is one of the few things I'm proud of in my otherwise loser life.

Now I'm realizing that guests are walking in, silently rolling their eyes, and thinking "Impersonal, basic bitch." Damnit... ?

I just really hate chachki. It's too cluttered for me and those hanging things are a dust collector. I can't deal with all the fake flowers and candles. It's definitely not my style.

6 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I just really hate chachki. It's too cluttered for me and those hanging things are a dust collector. I can't deal with all the fake flowers and candles. It's definitely not my style.

I've heard people say this before, and always wonder, do you guys not put anything on your walls or shelves?

I know it's all personal preference, but that corner doesn't look that cluttered to me. Jill Rod with her Precious Moments figurines in the bathroom? Yes, way over-cluttered. But shouldn't shelves have something on them?

I prefer real flowers and plants too, but I kill everything so...

24 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Now I'm realizing that guests are walking in, silently rolling their eyes, and thinking "Impersonal, basic bitch." Damnit... ?

I seriously doubt that, and I don't think that's what anyone's saying here. People have different styles and tastes, that's all. The world would be boring if we were all the same!

5 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I've heard people say this before, and always wonder, do you guys not put anything on your walls or shelves?

I know it's all personal preference, but that corner doesn't look that cluttered to me. Jill Rod with her Precious Moments figurines in the bathroom? Yes, way over-cluttered. But shouldn't shelves have something on them?

I prefer real flowers and plants too, but I kill everything so...

I only have a mirror and a tv on my wall. But I also have book shelves filled with books. My mom has figurines and all that, I hate them. She's got a glass collection too. 

I understand Josie's desire to decorate her house to her liking, she could not do it at her parents' home by sharing a room, it's also a way to build their relationship. Why a married couple, even if it is Christian, must obligatorily take care of social work rather than themselves, since they are finally together without chaperone and at home.

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

My place gets way too cluttered even without things that are there just to be decorative...there always seems to be books lying on every surface at least.  I do have lots of plants and lamps and fresh flowers though. And I have bookshelves and art on the walls. 

4 hours ago, Anwyn said:

Why a married couple, even if it is Christian, must obligatorily take care of social work rather than themselves, since they are finally together without chaperone and at home.

How about doing both? 

It's not that they are decorating their home. It's the huge emphasis on decorating themselves and their home. It's all about looks. 

Helping others is a big part of being a Christian. Yet they seem to do nothing for others.

5 hours ago, nausicaa said:

No shelves at my sitting/dining room, just 2 pieces of forniture (the tv table and a buffet). On the tv table, just the tv. On the buffet, a plant and 2 framed pictures. There' s another plant on the floor.

I have curtains and a big sofa full of cushions and several little paintings.

Sometimes I find it cluttered and I wonder if I should take off the paintings.

For my taste, Josie's sitting room is too full, too dark, the sofa is tiny and the mirror/hanging plants are too 70's. I though she would choose something lighter.

6 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

That was my thought - fabric wall hangings just mean I have to get the vacuum attachment out all the time which is why you will never find them in my house.

7 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

My place gets way too cluttered even without things that are there just to be decorative...there always seems to be books lying on every surface at least.  I do have lots of plants and lamps and fresh flowers though. And I have bookshelves and art on the walls. 

My darling husband has requested that I only leave out the book I am reading. Otherwise, every surface in the house would have books on them. I have 3 bookcases upstairs in my currently unused office (it'll get used again when I start the crazy OT). Thing is, every damn flat surface downstairs has shit on it. Good luck finding the top of my "coffee table" (actually a cedar chest). The bar is a disaster too. It's more laziness than anything else. The bar is convenient when I come in through the garage. 

We don't do indoor plants because cats. Our place probably looks a little cluttered because it's sorta small. However, buying new furniture is not on the list right now. And, if anybody comes to my place to check out my decor, housekeeping (or lack thereof), or gets cross-eyed about the shoes on the floor can carry their asses right back out the door. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived