IGNORED

Jinjer 45: First a Preacher then a Seminarian

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

And a bigger one, It's not winter in the northern hemisphere-

It may not "technically" be winter, but in some parts it's been cold with a bit of snow on the ground and lakes and ponds freezing over for a few weeks now. I'm sure that's not the case as far south as PA, but it's definitely early winter in Minnesota :5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying:

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

so I ended up being really short instead of average height, because of being very slightly undernourished. 

We've wondered if not being diagnosed with migraines earlier played a part in appetite issues growing up. My childhood bone gap indicated I should be several inches taller.

@HereticHick and anyone else. Vestigial tail, 5 minute NSFW comedy routine by another formerly San Antonio lady who knows Jeremy. So it's vaguely relevant, maybe?

Spoiler

3 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

It may not "technically" be winter, but in some parts it's been cold with a bit of snow on the ground and lakes and ponds freezing over for a few weeks now. I'm sure that's not the case as far south as PA, but it's definitely early winter in Minnesota :5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying:

Central Pennsylvania had a snow day last week, it's been cold as hell ever since. 

5 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

Massachusetts here. It was 16 degrees yesterday with a wind chill of -2. We're hoping to hit 25 degrees today and we got six inches of snow last week. From what I've heard, PA is not faring much better. If they're in the Northeast, I'd bundle that baby up.

As someone who loves winter, I'm thrilled about this, but the annual winter grumbling in my family is well underway. Apparently there's a possible Modoki El Nino this year? Some of my coworkers were talking about it, and that would mean a cold, snowy winter in New England. 

High-calorie formulas have been available for more than 30 years as have milk fortifiers.  One of our neonatologists told us that they'd see rickets in premies before whatever milk the baby was getting (mother's own milk, donor human milk or formula) was fortified.  The milk of mothers that deliver prematurely is higher in anti-infective properties, anti-inflammatories, growth factors, proteins, calcium, sodium, iron, and fatty acids than the milk of mothers who deliver at term, but this difference does not last the entire time the baby might be in the NICU.  

That neonatologist also remarked that it was a pity that they'd not developed artificial surfactant.  That occurred just a few years later.  

If some people are showing this much concern over height differences between a bunch of still growing siblings  - they’re going to lose their damn minds once the cousins can all be compared against each other - what with extra tall Jeremy or shorter than average Austin thrown in to the genetic mix. 

FYI - I know the overwhelming preference in the US is for tall, slender ( but not TOO ) slender bodies - but that isn’t every body’s body. And it isn’t somehow better if a kid is tall. It isn’t worse either. 

Michelle is petite, JB is a little taller than average. They have their own genetic mix - which might include even taller or shorter members. That is also thrown into the mix. Because that’s how this works.  

Obviously her extreme prematurity could have had an impact -on her ultimate height, but who cares? 

16 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Wildfire season is *finally* over here in NorCal, thank goodness.  Now we are in the rainy season.  

There are now officially two seasons in California “ Fire” and “Deluge” . Deluge is never long enough to offset next years Fire though.

16 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

That neonatologist also remarked that it was a pity that they'd not developed artificial surfactant.  That occurred just a few years later.  

I am 26 and I was born toward the end of the surfactant study. (1992) everyone thought that drug was a miracle when it came out! I didn't even need a vent when I was born. 

23 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

There is high calorie preemie formula now! My daughter was on that the first six months of her life. She was already big for her gestational age, but that formula helped her “catch up” very quickly. We won’t know how big she currently is until early next month at her 2 year appointment, but she’s extremely tall for her gestational age and her birth age.

My daughter was just over the 34 week mark though, so she was a late term preemie rather than a micropreemie. I would guess that Josie’s petite stature is likely a combination of her very premature birth and genetics. 

I was a 27 weeker they had special  formula but not like they do now! I wasn't even on the growth chart until I was 5 years old! They had me on a high calorie diet the whole 5 years.

3 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I am 26 and I was born toward the end of the surfactant study. (1992) everyone thought that drug was a miracle when it came out! I didn't even need a vent when I was born. 

I was a 27 weeker they had special  formula but not like they do now! I wasn't even on the growth chart until I was 5 years old! They had me on a high calorie diet the whole 5 years.

Yeah, the formula they have now is pretty fantastic. We’re pretty sure our daughter has always been genetically on the tall side (my husband and I are both tall, as are three of our parents), but that high calorie formula really helped her out at first. I don’t have her baby book in front of me, but I’m pretty sure she doubled her birth weight in just two months. She went from a scrawny little peanut to a butterball. :pb_lol:

5 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

If some people are showing this much concern over height differences between a bunch of still growing siblings  - they’re going to lose their damn minds once the cousins can all be compared against each other - what with extra tall Jeremy or shorter than average Austin thrown in to the genetic mix. 

FYI - I know the overwhelming preference in the US is for tall, slender ( but not TOO ) slender bodies - but that isn’t every body’s body. And it isn’t somehow better if a kid is tall. It isn’t worse either. 

Michelle is petite, JB is a little taller than average. They have their own genetic mix - which might include even taller or shorter members. That is also thrown into the mix. Because that’s how this works.  

Obviously her extreme prematurity could have had an impact -on her ultimate height, but who cares? 

There are now officially two seasons in California “ Fire” and “Deluge” . Deluge is never long enough to offset next years Fire though.

As the person who first mentioned prematurity, I did so because the post I was responding to appeared to allude to negligence as the reason why Josie is more petite than Jordyn and Mack. It’s possible that I read the comment completely wrong, but that was the impression I got and I commented as I did because Josie’s height is likely due to just pure chance rather than anything anyone did or did not do.

5 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

As the person who first mentioned prematurity, I did so because the post I was responding to appeared to allude to negligence as the reason why Josie is more petite than Jordyn and Mack. It’s possible that I read the comment completely wrong, but that was the impression I got and I commented as I did because Josie’s height is likely due to just pure chance rather than anything anyone did or did not do.

Oh yea,some people in the conversation seemed to be alluding to all sorts of negatives as to why she would be small. Like small = bad. I didn’t mean you. 

As I tell my very varied size grandchildren all the time - if you have a room full of same age adults - they will be all sorts of sizes and shapes - why would kids be any different ? 

39 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Oh yea,some people in the conversation seemed to be alluding to all sorts of negatives as to why she would be small. Like small = bad. I didn’t mean you. 

As I tell my very varied size grandchildren all the time - if you have a room full of same age adults - they will be all sorts of sizes and shapes - why would kids be any different ? 

Absolutely.On another group I belong to,Unexpected,someone said that one girl had not lost her baby weight and looked "lazy".It irked me.Like me,this girl is not naturally slender or petite.

Everyone is not the same.

New Felicity conspiracy theory: they make her wear stuff on her head because she has an extra face on the back of her head like Professor Quirrell in Harry Potter. Also, Josie is small because she's actually a changeling; evil fairies swapped out Real Josie, who is 6 foot 8 and 240 pounds, with Fake Fairy Josie, who has eldritch powers to warp reality and haunt your dreams. But she is so very small. 

On 11/21/2018 at 1:55 PM, Crazy Enough to Join said:

This is a very flawed view of the foster care system. Placing a child in foster care is a last resort for the worst situations; it's not a magic cure-all for lousy (but not illegal) parenting. Everyone thought losing 24/7  access to their sister moms was traumatizing to these girls. Can you imagine foster care? Losing your house, your clothes, your toys, your relatives (big siblings, nieces/nephews, sister-in-laws), your church, all your friends, everything you ever cared about? Foster children are also over-medicated and more likely to experience sexual abuse, often from other children in the home. We all wish JB and Michelle were better parents, but foster care would make things a million times worse for those kids, not better. Additionally, CPS-trigger-happy attitudes like these tend to make Duggar-style families more isolationist because they fear interacting with the world will result in losing their children.

As a foster-kid myself, I just don't agree with you, at all. 

Why the hell should parents get MULTIPLE chances to fuck up thier children, whilst children don't have the ability to magically recover from a shitty childhood. 

Why do kids have to suffer in silence because thier abuse or neglect wasn't "serious" enough so Mommy and Daddy can keep 'trying' to be good parents. It's bullshit. It's far easier to raise decent children, then it is to repair broken ones, and if that means taking kids away from Gwen and Thomas, even those they 'want' to try and do better, so be it. CHildren should always come first, not the wants of the parents. 

On 11/23/2018 at 12:26 PM, BachelorToTheRapture said:

You come to MN and tell me its NOT winter. 

On 11/24/2018 at 3:50 PM, VelociRapture said:

As the person who first mentioned prematurity, I did so because the post I was responding to appeared to allude to negligence as the reason why Josie is more petite than Jordyn and Mack. It’s possible that I read the comment completely wrong, but that was the impression I got and I commented as I did because Josie’s height is likely due to just pure chance rather than anything anyone did or did not do.

Is that what everyone thought? I didn't think Josie's size was due to JB & M's neglect, I was referring to their haunted vacant eyes, I knew her size was due to her micro premi birth status, it was just shocking to see how much smaller she was than Jordyn, considering none of the Duggar kids aren't know large stature.  So if Jordyn is, say average height for a 10 year old girl, that means Josie is tiny for a 9 year old (or almost 9 as they will be turning these ages in a few weeks).  

ETA. Of course Jordyn could have just had a grown spurt and Josie is due for one and that makes them look further apart age wise. 

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Is that what everyone thought? I didn't think Josie's size was due to JB & M's neglect, I was referring to their haunted vacant eyes, I knew her size was due to her micro premi birth status, it was just shocking to see how much smaller she was than Jordyn, considering none of the Duggar kids aren't know large stature.  So if Jordyn is, say average height for a 10 year old girl, that means Josie is tiny for a 9 year old (or almost 9 as they will be turning these ages in a few weeks).  

ETA. Of course Jordyn could have just had a grown spurt and Josie is due for one and that makes them look further apart age wise. 

I can only speak for myself, but I did believe you were alluding to neglect being a reason for her height. Sorry and thank you for correcting me!

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Currently I have 4 girls in my family who were born within a year of each other. They are currently 9-10 years old. Until VERY recently they were always in reverse height to age-order. With the oldest being smallest / down to the youngest being at least a full head taller, and after a recent growth spurt she’s almost as tall as her full-grown aunts. She’s a good 8inches taller than her 6 month older cousin. They were all full-term and in average range at birth.

@KelseyAnn I was a foster child too and I agree completely with @Crazy Enough to Join. Being placed in foster care is no guarantee things will be better than at home. A lot of truly horrific things happened to my siblings and me in various foster homes. And then the family that adopted us was the opposite end of the spectrum. We went from alcoholic parents who loved us but struggled to control their addiction, to several terrible foster homes, to being adopted by extreme fundies who abused us into compliance. We were spanked repeatedly (I counted 14 swats on one occasion), and worked heavily on a farm. In the summer we worked 6 days a week, whether we wanted to or not. If we didn’t work we didn’t eat. Period. 

My point is: we suffered at home, in foster care and our adopted home. Foster care isn’t always the best solution, by far.

23 minutes ago, Kailash said:

@KelseyAnn I was a foster child too and I agree completely with @Crazy Enough to Join. Being placed in foster care is no guarantee things will be better than at home. A lot of truly horrific things happened to my siblings and me in various foster homes. And then the family that adopted us was the opposite end of the spectrum. We went from alcoholic parents who loved us but struggled to control their addiction, to several terrible foster homes, to being adopted by extreme fundies who abused us into compliance. We were spanked repeatedly (I counted 14 swats on one occasion), and worked heavily on a farm. In the summer we worked 6 days a week, whether we wanted to or not. If we didn’t work we didn’t eat. Period. 

My point is: we suffered at home, in foster care and our adopted home. Foster care isn’t always the best solution, by far.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to argue that foster-kids have it better (in some regards) as there is more oversight as to their well-being - at least nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'm sorry, but I'm going to argue that foster-kids have it better (in some regards) as there is more oversight as to their well-being - at least nowadays. 

That is a good point. All this happened more than 25 years ago. With the sheer number of foster kids and not enough social workers, some unfortunate kids are going to fall through the cracks. I do not think the Duggar kids need to be in foster care. I don’t agree with the way they are parented but I don’t think foster care would improve anything. It would work into their narrative that other people are evil, etc.

49 minutes ago, Kailash said:

I am so very sorry this happened to you and your siblings.

@HerNameIsBuffy Thank you. We all have our issues but we’ve managed to become happy, mostly well adjusted adults. I don’t like to talk about it much because it’s over, it made us who we are and we can’t change it. But I try to dissuade people who have the idea that foster care is always better. Sometimes, some parts of it are better.  

Eta: I am not against foster care at all. My brother and his family take in sibling groups. I think it’s wonderful and they do a great job. But I know that not all foster parents are former foster children. (Not that they should be.)

On 11/24/2018 at 4:50 PM, VelociRapture said:

There's also the chance that she's just genetically small. None of the Duggar girls who we know have reached their full adult height are extremely tall.

So Jinger threw away The Shoes. The end of an era ?. Lmao at her literally filming herself throwing them in the bin. So extra.

Couldn’t she have donated them though ? I guess they’re way too worn out. 

Spoiler

6CDECFC3-BE54-46A8-8366-8A0E2E7E67B2.thumb.png.9e5e17b44c6d6e604b187dcb5d2060a9.png

2FE6FD21-3725-475B-B781-6B30391173A6.thumb.png.1bbc6be8774b755f61bb16893664623a.png

Since she got married I was always saying that with her newfound style she could get a much cuter pair and so far she has delivered with these two:

Spoiler

7F67A1D7-A661-420B-94F6-F4A90DA2C0C0.jpeg.e7466babd31a76c7de51d00ab8c7514a.jpeg

95C2D859-9C3D-463E-9CA2-4C3C30DCBD32.jpeg.6a86b70292e8b826479db032aeae8dae.jpeg

It could just be that she's not growing as fast as her sisters. I have a cousin, about 6 months younger and from the time we were 2 or so she was significantly taller, often a full head. She reached her full height early, I kept growing until I was 19! I'm now 4ish inches taller than her. Her height right now compared to other girls (especially in an age where girls are physically all over) doesn't mean a lot about how tall she'll be or how she's growing.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived