IGNORED

Jinjer 45: First a Preacher then a Seminarian

Coconut Flan

Both of my brothers were preemies (Both around 6 weeks early, I believe) and they both grew up to be around 6'4. My Mom says they were both insanely voracious eaters and by the time they were 6 months old they were off the charts in height and weight. Supposedly its natural to either "catch up" if you were born small bit meant to be large or "catch down" if you were born big but meant to be smaller. (None of these gigantic newborn Duggar boy babies seem to stay larger than average for very long). 

There's obviously a whole different set of rules for micro preemies like Josie, bit it's likely she just wasn't meant to be very big. Her mother and sisters are all pretty petite. Duggar boys don't grow very tall, either. (Of course I say this as a 5'10 woman with aforementioned very tall siblings. What's short and what's tall is subjective).

Josie looks perfectly healthy IMO. Just petite with really fair coloring. 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@singsingsing-It's winter, In Laredo, TX...it's not the North Pole

Beyond being a preemie, genetics plays a huge role. Michelle is a smaller woman. Josie, genetically speaking, might be a smaller girl. Joy and Jana are both pretty short. Time will tell if Josie eventually fills out. None of the Duggars are overly thin. Taking Josh out the the mix, the balance of kids are pretty average sized.

Jinger is pretty small and skinny too, and she has the same big wide-spaced eyes that make Josie look a bit waifish. It might be that Josie is more fragile than the average kid, but I think that most of what we see will be normal genetics rather than the effect of her micro-preemie start.

Re: CPS 

Yes, the goal of CPS is not to remove every child from an imperfect family to place then with two educated upper middle class adults with Child Psychology degrees to guarantee a perfect child (not implying anyone here thinks that, just exaggerating to make an point). It serves to protect children who are in grave danger to their life and well-being. If parents are being bad parents, but not endangering the child, the goal is usually to help the parents be better parents with seminars, counseling, supervised play time, parenting classes/groups, and guided programs that have some accountability measures to get the parents back on track. I wish people knew more about those services, especially in fundie families, because that fear of someone just showing up and taking the child away (other than e.g. if the parent threatens to kill someone or all parents are unavailable/in prison) is really unfounded. There’s a lot of help out there for parents, and I wish more struggling parents took advantage of that. 

Re: Preemies 

My sister was something like 7 weeks early and she was tiny and skinny all of her childhood. And then between 14 and 16 she grew A TON. So for some people the catch-up happens in puberty. Might be the same for the Duggar girls. 

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

@singsingsing-It's winter, In Laredo, TX...it's not the North Pole

It’s winter in New England as well, which is where the Vuolos have been visiting and where most of the recent picture of Felicity have been taken. 

I don't like those head coverings Jinger puts on Felicity, but they sure as hell beat that damn fake-pigtail-thing the Duggars seem to love!

26 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

It’s winter in New England as well, which is where the Vuolos have been visiting and where most of the recent picture of Felicity have been taken. 

Really? They were on the ec for a couple of days, not for the length of time that FNV has been sporting those head wraps (which I think are adorable), I just find the "it's winter default" laughable.

6 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Really? They were on the ec for a couple of days, not for the length of time that FNV has been sporting those head wraps (which I think are adorable), I just find the "it's winter default" laughable.

'It's winter' was an off-hand comment to someone trying to come up with a conspiracy theory for why her parents were keeping her head covered and it wasn't even the only explanation I suggested. I know Laredo is hot, for God's sake, contrary to popular belief I'm actually not an idiot. They've been visiting his parents in New England. It's cold there. It's winter. Felicity has been wearing a tuque. I don't know what else to tell you. I'm not getting into some ridiculous tit-for-tat about whether it's winter in Laredo. If you're looking for an argument about this, pick someone else.

11 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Very minor correction - they were in the Northeast, not New England. Jeremy’s parents are in, I believe, Pennsylvania, which is not part of New England. The states of New England are Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:55 PM, VelociRapture said:

@allthegoodnamesrgone It’s tough to know. Micro preemies, like Josie, do have a higher chance of remaining on the small and light side even as they get older ...... snip......

Sometimes you luck out and your preemie “catches up”, but other times it just doesn’t happen..... snip 

I was one of the first premies to be in the surfactant drug trial (super speeds lung development basically post birth)  and therefore one of the first to do well born that early. I was very small my whole life and caught up around puberty but I'm still on the smaller side! No one would think anything about my size though I look typical small boned person.  I was very sick a lot as a child too colds, flus, infections, you name it and that made it hard to gain weight. Back then they didn't realize all the effects though if being born that early. Now I think they help them catch up with special formula and such too? It's so cool to see all the improvements they've made since I was born though! 

My BEC comment for today: I really don't like that Jeremy is often pictured holding Felicity like a soccer ball.

Spoiler

Spoiler

(second picture)

Don't know why it bothers me so much, but whenever I've held a baby in my arms, I instinctively put it close to my chest, not let it "dangle" from my outstretched arms. But I will also admit I haven't held that many babies in my life yet, and maybe Felicity (and other babies) like to be held that way? Parents/Grandparents/Caregivers of small children please enlighten me :my_biggrin:

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Very minor correction - they were in the Northeast, not New England. Jeremy’s parents are in, I believe, Pennsylvania, which is not part of New England. The states of New England are Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

And a bigger one, It's not winter in the northern hemisphere-

Since we've counted all Felicity's fingers (mittengate!) and verified that she has an actual normal head (headgear/turbangate!) can we please move on to another conspiracy theory for her?

Vestigial tail, maybe?

[I for one wish I still had a tail, like back when I was a tiny tadpole. A long furry tail to wrap around me on cold days & keep my nose warm!  And to pick up things I've dropped]

1 hour ago, DillyDally said:

My BEC comment for today: I really don't like that Jeremy is often pictured holding Felicity like a soccer ball.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

(second picture)

Don't know why it bothers me so much, but whenever I've held a baby in my arms, I instinctively put it close to my chest, not let it "dangle" from my outstretched arms. But I will also admit I haven't held that many babies in my life yet, and maybe Felicity (and other babies) like to be held that way? Parents/Grandparents/Caregivers of small children please enlighten me :my_biggrin:

Not to defend Jeremy, but we used to hold my nephews like that. Both (14 years apart) wouldn't tolerate any other way. They had to be facing out to see everything! They had to be in the know and didn't want to see things backwards so we held them like soccer balls to stop the screaming.

You hold a baby the way the baby wants to be held. Doing otherwise can result in ruptured eardrums. AMHIK

13 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I was one of the first premies to be in the surfactant drug trial (super speeds lung development basically post birth)  and therefore one of the first to do well born that early. I was very small my whole life and caught up around puberty but I'm still on the smaller side! No one would think anything about my size though I look typical small boned person.  I was very sick a lot as a child too colds, flus, infections, you name it and that made it hard to gain weight. Back then they didn't realize all the effects though if being born that early. Now I think they help them catch up with special formula and such too? It's so cool to see all the improvements they've made since I was born though! 

I watched a documentary on micro-preemies not too long ago.

Apparently the surfactant treatment was developed by a Japanese doctor who was traumatised the first time he delivered a very premature baby who then suffocated in his arms, without him able to do anything about it. The doctor dedicated his entire life to finding a way to save these children - and he succeeded.

It made me tear up listening to him, and it's making me tear up again now that I am writing it.

I'm so happy you, and so many countless others, made it and are here today because of him :my_heart:

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Since we've counted all Felicity's fingers (mittengate!) and verified that she has an actual normal head (headgear/turbangate!) can we please move on to another conspiracy theory for her?

Vestigial tail, maybe?

Well, we have not seen her naked butt, so... You may be on to something!

:pb_lol:

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Vestigial tail, maybe?

[I for one wish I still had a tail, like back when I was a tiny tadpole. A long furry tail to wrap around me on cold days & keep my nose warm!  And to pick up things I've dropped]

Have we seen her back? Maybe she has wings? 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

You hold a baby the way the baby wants to be held. Doing otherwise can result in ruptured eardrums. AMHIK

THIS. So much this!! :my_biggrin:

My daughter (Felicity's age) used to want to be held upright on my left arm, looking over my shoulder. Now it's either sitting in my lap facing outward, or standing either facing me when she is in a cuddly mood or facing outward when she is curious. She hates everything else and will grunt and eventually cry if you don't comply.

My husband is also very tall - a bit like Jeremy - and somehow this adds a whole new level of complication. Apparently LittleJuly finds it uncomfortable if my husband holds her the way I do. My husband needs to hold her weirdly squashed against his belly for her to be content. Looks terrible and very snark-worthy, but we can't do anything about it. I'll therefore give Jeremy a pass on this ;)

On 11/21/2018 at 1:01 PM, justodd said:

My ex husband had some major hots for Laura Linney until I pointed out that she was basically a younger version of his mom with better styling. (It wasn’t even a “you can see it if you squint” situation - we’re talking full on clone, here. ?) 

On the one hand, we can't really help who we're attracted to and how we get wired that way. On the other hand, whew, I've never been so glad I'm not even the same race (face shape, body type, and the list goes on) as my bf's mom.

14 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

There is high calorie preemie formula now! My daughter was on that the first six months of her life. She was already big for her gestational age, but that formula helped her “catch up” very quickly. We won’t know how big she currently is until early next month at her 2 year appointment, but she’s extremely tall for her gestational age and her birth age.

My daughter was just over the 34 week mark though, so she was a late term preemie rather than a micropreemie. I would guess that Josie’s petite stature is likely a combination of her very premature birth and genetics. 

29 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I would guess that Josie’s petite stature is likely a combination of her very premature birth and genetics. 

Josie could also be petite because she doesn't eat enough. I am quite short, and that is likely due to not eating enough, I have never had a big appetite, and have always been a picky eater, so I ended up being really short instead of average height, because of being very slightly undernourished. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived