IGNORED

Frazer Family: Fundies in Quebec

albireo

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

In the comments on the blog post, someone called Priscilla says "I’m so excited for Sarah and Jérémie."

Well isn't this exciting for us too.  I hope Elizabeth and Michael post their courtship story soon.  Kendalyn and Kathryn's stories were masterpieces of maidenly reluctance while Elizabeth sounds almost eager.  As for a Staddon getting overcome with love and actually proposing without a detailed step by step plan and a ring - I'm quite verklempt!

Lord I hope he gave her a note that said Will You Bee Mine????  

I expect to see a metric f**ckton of childish bee-related puns at the wedding.  I would like to see a wedding cake in the shape of a beehive [yeah, I know that sounds super-Mormony but these fundies are so sheltered they will have no idea].

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 1

I’m wondering if this photo line up on their blog goes from oldest to youngest. I think it might. And if it does, Michael is marrying someone close to his age. Which means they may not have a million kids.

6B74A66D-B5E7-45A1-93D3-757A698F1745.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

And of course Elizabeth wrote this. It’s just the same sexist modesty garbage they are regurgitate over and over again. 

30041B49-7311-4336-B609-1CA1998DEF41.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Sad 11

Evelyn and Stephen graduated high school in 2015, so they're both probably in their early twenties: https://www.frazerfamily.ca/2015/08/a-catch-up/

Sarah had not graduated as of 2016 because she still had homework: https://www.frazerfamily.ca/2016/03/a-young-stenographer/. I'd peg her at 18.

Does anyone else find their farming posts really interesting? I know they're still super oppressively fundie, don't get me wrong.

• I Agree 3
  • Thank You 3

24 minutes ago, albireo said:

Evelyn and Stephen graduated high school in 2015, so they're both probably in their early twenties: https://www.frazerfamily.ca/2015/08/a-catch-up/

Sarah had not graduated as of 2016 because she still had homework: https://www.frazerfamily.ca/2016/03/a-young-stenographer/. I'd peg her at 18.

Does anyone else find their farming posts really interesting? I know they're still super oppressively fundie, don't get me wrong.

Is anyone else getting an error message from those links?  I fear they have been tipped off that we found them and have gone dark.

I was quite enjoying their farming posts, except I want them to spay that cat, until I read the bunny one.  I assume they grow rabbits for food.  That doesn't bother me as much as super gluing a tiny little bunny's badly ripped open face together.  That was too much for me.  Take it to a vet or put it out of its misery, please.

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Is anyone else getting an error message from those links?  I fear they have been tipped off that we found them and have gone dark.

The error message I get now says the connection timed out, and I was getting it last night too, so I think their blog has Internet problems. 

4 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I was quite enjoying their farming posts, except I want them to spay that cat, until I read the bunny one.  I assume they grow rabbits for food.  That doesn't bother me as much as super gluing a tiny little bunny's badly ripped open face together.  That was too much for me.  Take it to a vet or put it out of its misery, please.

Yeah, good points. They should probably spay the cat; she's pretty clearly a barn cat though, so I thought that wasn't my area of expertise and maybe it was okay. And YIKES I didn't see that bunny post. OK, the farming posts are hit-or-miss.

I would still buy a quilt from them if they weren't fundie, though. Those are some nice quilts.

• Upvote 3

@Seahorse Wrangler, your info is still correct. We just moved to Montreal last year and went through the process of applying to the EMSB for our eldest. It was an annoying amount of paperwork and hassle, but not actually difficult. Just piles of red tape. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

Can I ask what FEW stands for?  I've actually googled it, but could never find an answer.

• Upvote 5

My family is from Sherbrooke...my mum just left there this afternoon to drive back to Ontario. My grandmother spends summers in Sherbrooke where her remaining siblings still live - she and one brother are the only ones (of 11) who moved to Ontario. The ones who stayed all have passable English, but they’re not fluent, exactly. 

I was surprised that this family wasn’t Catholic as would be expected for French-Canadian families in smaller town Québec, but Frazer doesn't sound like a very traditionally isn’t a French-Canadian name, and I guess anyone can be any religion they choose anyway, so I suppose I must work on catching myself before making these little snap judgements in the future.

Edited by Somer
  • Upvote 8

Names aren't really a guide to the language people speak in Quebec. I know some-one with a very Scottish name( say Iain McDonald) who speaks very little English.

There are several families round here where one person  married some-one from the other language last century and caused a family rift. So you can possibly have  two branches of the Desjardins family, one Anglophone and one Francophone. It can get confusing when you first move into the area.

2 hours ago, treehugger said:

@Seahorse Wrangler, your info is still correct. We just moved to Montreal last year and went through the process of applying to the EMSB for our eldest. It was an annoying amount of paperwork and hassle, but not actually difficult. Just piles of red tape. 

We came over on a works visa and our immigration lawyer didn't inform us that we would be eligible for English schooling if we didn't go for Permanent Residence until SeaFilly 1 was attending school.

However, it worked out best for us to have PR and then citizenship in the long run.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

56 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

Names aren't really a guide to the language people speak in Quebec. I know some-one with a very Scottish name( say Iain McDonald) who speaks very little English.

There are several families round here where one person  married some-one from the other language last century and caused a family rift. So you can possibly have  two branches of the Desjardins family, one Anglophone and one Francophone. It can get confusing when you first move into the area.

We came over on a works visa and our immigration lawyer didn't inform us that we would be eligible for English schooling if we didn't go for Permanent Residence until SeaFilly 1 was attending school.

However, it worked out best for us to have PR and then citizenship in the long run.

In French Ontario:

My paternal grandma's last name: German. Her first (and only) language: English.

Paternal grandfather's last name: French. First language: French.

In Quebec:

Maternal grandma's last name: French. First (and only) language: English.

Maternal grandpa's last name: Scottish. First language: French.

So yeah... :pb_lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

We visited with some people in the Gaspe in Quebec and their family name was Scottish. Apparently their ancestor was a soldier but he stayed on and married a French wife. Many soldiers chose to stay after the wars in the 18th century. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Markie said:

We visited with some people in the Gaspe in Quebec and their family name was Scottish. Apparently their ancestor was a soldier but he stayed on and married a French wife. Many soldiers chose to stay after the wars in the 18th century. 

Not only soldiers.  Don't forget the Scottish diaspora.  Quite aside from the Scots settling in Nova Scotia in the 17th century, many more emigrated after Culloden and the failed Jacobite uprising of 1745.  Also the Highland Clearances (an evil thing)  forced many others to emigrate throughout the 18th and 19th centuries.   

• Upvote 15
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Markie said:

There also used to be a huge English-speaking community in Gaspe and the remnants are still there. Some of them (us, let’s be real, I’m talking about my own ancestry haha) were descended from British soldiers who fought in the 7 Years War and were given land in Quebec for their military service. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

There also used to be a huge English-speaking community in Gaspe and the remnants are still there. Some of them (us, let’s be real, I’m talking about my own ancestry haha) were descended from British soldiers who fought in the 7 Years War and were given land in Quebec for their military service. 

There are also the Loyalist plots that were awarded to monarchists fleeing after the American Revolution on the New Brunswick and Nova Scotia coastlines.  They were given a long and narrow 2 acre plot with about 100 yards of access to the ocean front each.  

https://www.npr.org/2015/07/03/419824333/what-happened-to-british-loyalists-after-the-revolutionary-war

A friend of mine owned one of those plots in New Brunswick where we used to camp.   It was really lovely although we had to hike everything in for about a mile.  He donated the land as a nature reserve in his will because of rare quahogs that only reproduced in that bay (or something like that.  My memory fails me. :))

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

True, true. And super interesting! This particular branch of my family tree has a line straight back to France and we are lucky to have a traced genealogy going back to 1600 when the first person came to what is now Québec. I was rather narrow minded indeed. In fact, MY last name is not french, my first language is english and I was born and raised in Ontario. So yeah, this family is more French-Canadian than I am.

my maternal family:

grandmother - first & last name french - first language French fluent in spoken English 

grandfather - first & last name french - first language french fluent in spoken English

mother - first & last name french - first language french but learned English very young and is more comfortable in English and considers it her primary language.

me - first & middle name french last name not french - first language English, fluent in French but written French is embarrassing.

• Upvote 4

The Frazers take a family picture every year with matching frumpers. And each year they choose different matching frumpers. I imagine their might have the largest frumper collection in all of Canada. I love Amy’s face in this one. 

13F0E0E4-DCA2-4D58-A0FF-4608741A19F0.jpeg

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 11
  • Love 3

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m pretty disappointed they didn’t include the recipe:

D9F8E309-9945-48DC-9938-20BA9CB7F99A.jpeg

...I have no words.

I mean, hey, nothing inherently wrong with a broccoli cake. I like broccoli and I like cake, just... not together. But, you know... you do you, Stephen.

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m pretty disappointed they didn’t include the recipe:

D9F8E309-9945-48DC-9938-20BA9CB7F99A.jpeg

I guess it’s a nice change of pace among fundies that they actually recognize someone’s individual preferences. Still super weird though. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 1

Heritage moments really taught me a lot as a child. Let's not forget the Irish orphans in Quebec!

Spoiler

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I would love to sit back and watch the Frazer family meet the Rodrigues family. The look of bewilderment when the Frazers saw how lazy the Rods were, the hair and make-up and the garish and trashy fabrics on the Female Rods. Then there would be Shrek and Jill’s confusion when the Frazer family worked and served their family a decent meal. The debates on Modest Dress would be very interesting. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1