IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren Part 11: The Baby Watch Continues

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Don't get me wrong being a republican shouldn't keep you from getting work, unless you're an asshole about being a republican, like Dean Cain, or Ted Nugent, or Scott Baio. Or like that bitch in St Louis who got fired because she harassed a black man trying to go into his home. Rob Lowe is a republican (so sad) Tim Allen, Patricia Heaton (everybody loves Raymond) they are all currently working, none of them have kept it secret they are right wing, but they keep douche beggary in check MOST of the time. They don't go around looking to cause trouble for people, that is how they stay employed.

ETA: Now if Hollywood would dump Tom Cruise and the Pinkett-Smith scientology crazies that would be great.

I totally agree, but I would question Tim Allen being a good example. He actually has work right now BECAUSE he is playing up the "right wing straight-talker dbag" persona.  He's not working in spite of his views, he's actively promoting and capitalizing on them...especially now that Last Man Standing is on Fox.  

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angie Harmon is a Republican. She has said she is a pro-choice, pro-lgbt Republican. I wonder how lonely she might find it. The thing about Dean Cain is he wasn't always conservative on all issues. He played a gay man in the Broken Hearts Club. I highly recommend this movie. It has Zach Braff of Scrubs and John Mahoney of Frasier. 

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Why is Scott Baio even still a thing. He wasn't even the cute Baio back in the day.

He wasn't chosen for the coveted role of Carmen Ronzonni...that was Jimmy.  The superior acting Baio.

(I am still angry I wasn't allowed to watch Soap as a child because it was "too dirty."  As was Three's Company.  Talk about dissapointed when seeing it as a teen.  How could it be dirty when no one was having any sex?)

I loved Jimmy Baio. 

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

I totally agree, but I would question Tim Allen being a good example. He actually has work right now BECAUSE he is playing up the "right wing straight-talker dbag" persona.  He's not working in spite of his views, he's actively promoting and capitalizing on them...especially now that Last Man Standing is on Fox.  

I agree. I liked Last Man Standing, as a mild, time killer, type sit-com. But it was based on Tim Allen being this gruff, old school guy raising his teen daughters. Basically Home Improvement with girls. It had some good side characters and plots. But it was on 5 or 6 ? Seasons, and like many family shows- had run it’s course. IMHO. The girls were all grown, and you can only have so many fights with your son-in-law.  It had good ratings still, but was expensive to produce because Of a large cast and Allen’s salary being high.  I’ve noticed other similar shows that have long runs tend to have a wider age range in the kids - so some are moving into their teens as others move out, or have grandparents more involved.

Tim Allen leveraged a normal cancellation into a political persecution story and managed to get the show picked up by FOX. Smart, on his part, but not really accurate.

As a side note - Big Bang Theory has been on waaaayyyy too long. And Game of Thrones should never end. 

11 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I went and looked up a little bit about Dean Cain and holy hell, you’re right. The last I remember about Dean Cain was him hosting “Ripley’s Believe it or Not”. No wonder nobody wants to work with him. I saw he played a part in God’s not Dead and now that doesn’t really surprise me. I also didn’t realize how far Kevin Zorbo had gone until I saw that he produced God’s not Dead. To me he was still Hercules. I guess acting is no exception to the fact that you can be great at your job but if you’re an ass no one wants to work with you. (Except for maybe a few highly bankable stars.)

TAM’s husband made a movie out of his crappy book and Kevin Sorbo is in it. He basically just does right wing Christian movies now. 

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Same, same.

And "One Day at at Time" because the teenagers were "smart-mouthed."

My grandmother used to watch "One Day at a Time" with me.She actually enjoyed it.I did ,too.

She would comment on other shows,though.I was watching "Family"...there was a scene with two teens kissing.."Those look like children!!"

I watched soap operas,like "The Edge of NIght". "What would the people in your church think of this???" 

"Ryan's Hope" ..a character had long hair like I did at the time."Oh,she needs to cut her hair.She's too old to have long hair hanging down hair back,but  A  LOT of people don't know that". I was very aware of how she felt about my hair.My cousin recently got her hair cut shorter because my aunt told her that long hair (nowhere near the length mine was) was "unprofessional".

6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Off topic but Scott Baio got into a Twitter feud with Canadian comedian Mark Critch. Obviously Scott Baio has nothing better to do.

He then was interviewed by Critch. His wife made him do it.

Mark is the man! I adore him. I'm so glad there is someone in the public eye with a sense of humor. 

My nonprofit is kept afloat by a Republican. More shocking, we are very involved with health care. It’s weird. Like, really weird. He’s rich. I believe we would call him old guard. And he does not ever try and influence our agenda. (Beyond a request that the other board members not talk politics in the board room... fair enough)  Buddies with our exDemocrat governor.

@AliceInFundyland, my state had an ex-governor who died a bit over a year ago who was a Democrat. He was elected the most times and served the most years of any of our governors, despite the fact that this is traditionally a very Republican state.

He wanted what was best for the people and our state, and got Republicans to work with him on that basis; the idea that both sides really wanted the best for our state. After he retired, he worked with the Republican governor who succeeded him on an important law to protect the environment. When the next Republican governor (such an idiot) tried to undo all the work they did, they stood up together to chastise him and try to keep the protections in place.

I miss true statesmen like that. Our Democratic candidate for governor this fall has a lot of promise, but I don't know if she'll get a chance to fulfill that promise. She has my vote, anyway. 

The sad truth is, MOST Democrats and Republicans are far more moderate than the party line would allow you to believe. The divide is exacerbated by the media.

19 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I agree. I liked Last Man Standing, as a mild, time killer, type sit-com. But it was based on Tim Allen being this gruff, old school guy raising his teen daughters. Basically Home Improvement with girls. It had some good side characters and plots. But it was on 5 or 6 ? Seasons, and like many family shows- had run it’s course. IMHO. The girls were all grown, and you can only have so many fights with your son-in-law.  It had good ratings still, but was expensive to produce because Of a large cast and Allen’s salary being high.  I’ve noticed other similar shows that have long runs tend to have a wider age range in the kids - so some are moving into their teens as others move out, or have grandparents more involved.

Tim Allen leveraged a normal cancellation into a political persecution story and managed to get the show picked up by FOX. Smart, on his part, but not really accurate.

As a side note - Big Bang Theory has been on waaaayyyy too long. And Game of Thrones should never end. 

I still watch LMS. I enjoy it. Its mindless and fun. 

Just now, libgirl2 said:

Oh and I like Nancy Travis. 

Not sure why, but these two are ranking high on my least favorite Duggar list. Josh and Derick are obviously at the top.

35 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Oh and I like Nancy Travis. 

I tried the new LMS. Nothing against it. I’m just trying very hard to switch my mindless background noise from sit-coms / reality shows to music videos. 

20 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Agree on BBT! I used to watch it the first couple seasons. It reminded me a bit of high school, I was the dumb "conventionally attractive" jock girl who was friends with a group of incredibly smart quirky geeks/nerds. Like I won state in track and couldn't pass pre calc they took Calc III and Differential Equations as sophomores at the local community college, did my physics homework and went to MIT, Calc Tech and some Ivies.

But then it was on too long, the same stuff over and over. It didn't help I first hand how awful Kaley Cuoco is in real life. My really good friend Ryan Sweeting moved to LA we talked every say he was nervous since he had just gotten sober. I got sick and went ti the hospital and suddenly stopped hearing from him. My mom saw in a celebrity mag while I was in hospital he was engaged to Kaley after a few weeks or something. I finally got a text saying he wasn't allowed to talk to me, she flipped out and how her agent has his phone to screen calls and texts. She made him relapse and forced marriage on him (she made him financially dependent on her within a few weeks then started carrying an engagement ring around to give him the hint, she thought this was a cute story and mentioned it on a talk show. Normal non Hollywood people have friends who would say sweetie stop that's crazy but alas...)

Anyway I despise her so much I can't watch the show even if it was still good, luckily it's not.

22 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Same, same.

And "One Day at at Time" because the teenagers were "smart-mouthed."

And Who's the Boss (I think because he lived there? maybe because it was a male housekeeper and that was an issue?) 
Also Love Boat.

But MASH was totally fine. Like really? MASH?

25 minutes ago, Meggo said:

But MASH was totally fine. Like really? MASH?

Ikr?!  Not exactly moral paragons but MASH was fine around my house, too.  So weird.

Yep, MASH was A-OK for me too. 

But All in the Family was only OK for certain episodes. My mother read TV Guide to gauge the "appropriateness" of that week's specific episode before they'd allow me to watch. If it was "unseemly" I would have to go to my room and read while that episode was on.

My parents didn’t like the Beverly Hillbillies. They didn’t like the stereotyping. Which, come to think of it, they were really ahead of the curve for caring about prejudice against that group! 

I’d watch it at my grandparents, while also eating forbidden foods. 

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

My parents didn’t like the Beverly Hillbillies. They didn’t like the stereotyping. Which, come to think of it, they were really ahead of the curve for caring about prejudice against that group! 

Same here, my parents also hated Hogans Heroes because they could not find humor in Nazis!

1 hour ago, TeaELSee said:

Same here, my parents also hated Hogans Heroes because they could not find humor in Nazis!

I'm with them.  I don't get how that ever got on the air (and I say this as someone sad I will die without ever having been kissed by Richard Dawson)

On 10/16/2018 at 10:43 AM, Lyle Lanley said:

I looked him up when I saw his name on the poster to see he was a Trumpster. What a fall from being Superman. Ending up getting a minor payday in some propaganda film.

Pride goes before a fall as they say.

You guys...I hated Dean Cain first ?

He's been on my douche-radar ever since he announced he'd taken Brooke Shields' virginity in college. Such a rude, sexist thing to do, whether he was lying or telling the truth.

2 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm with them.  I don't get how that ever got on the air (and I say this as someone sad I will die without ever having been kissed by Richard Dawson)

So, the thing with Hogan's Heroes was that almost all, if not all, of the Nazis were played by Jews--many of them German Jews, at that. Robert Clary (LeBeau) was a concentration camp survivor. It is actually a very interesting backstory.

From Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's_Heroes

Spoiler

The actors who played the four major German roles—Werner Klemperer (Klink),[13] John Banner (Schultz), Leon Askin (Burkhalter), and Howard Caine (Hochstetter)—were Jewish. Furthermore, Klemperer, Banner, Askin, and Robert Clary (LeBeau) were Jews who had fled the Nazis during World War II. Clary says in the recorded commentary on the DVD version of episode "Art for Hogan's Sake" that he spent three years in a concentration camp, that his parents and other family members were killed there, and that he has an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm ("A-5714"). Likewise John Banner had been held in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was killed during the war. Leon Askin was also in a pre-war French internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka. Howard Caine, who was also Jewish (his birth name was Cohen), was American, and Jewish actors Harold Gould and Harold J. Stone made multiple appearances playing German generals. As a teenager, Klemperer fled Hitler's Germany with his family in 1933. During the show's production, he insisted that Hogan always win against his Nazi captors or else he would not take the part of Klink. He defended his playing a Luftwaffe Officer by claiming, "I am an actor. If I can play Richard III, I can play a Nazi." Banner attempted to sum up the paradox of his role by saying, "Who can play Nazis better than us Jews?" Klemperer, Banner, Caine, Gould, and Askin play stereotypical World War II Germans, and all had served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II—Banner[14] and Askin in the U.S. Army Air Corps, Caine in the U.S. Navy, Gould with the U.S. Army, and Klemperer in a U.S. Army Entertainment Unit. Werner Klemperer had in 1961 starred as the title character in the serious drama Operation Eichmann, which also featured John Banner in a supporting role as a committed Nazi. Ruta Lee, Theodore Marcuse, and Oscar Beregi, Jr. also appeared in the film, each went on to make several guest appearances on Hogan’s Heroes.

My mother hated Welcome Back Kotter.  She used to say that she taught them all day and it wasn't funny.

37 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

So, the thing with Hogan's Heroes was that almost all, if not all, of the Nazis were played by Jews--many of them German Jews, at that. Robert Clary (LeBeau) was a concentration camp survivor. It is actually a very interesting backstory.

From Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's_Heroes

Hide contents

The actors who played the four major German roles—Werner Klemperer (Klink),[13] John Banner (Schultz), Leon Askin (Burkhalter), and Howard Caine (Hochstetter)—were Jewish. Furthermore, Klemperer, Banner, Askin, and Robert Clary (LeBeau) were Jews who had fled the Nazis during World War II. Clary says in the recorded commentary on the DVD version of episode "Art for Hogan's Sake" that he spent three years in a concentration camp, that his parents and other family members were killed there, and that he has an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm ("A-5714"). Likewise John Banner had been held in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was killed during the war. Leon Askin was also in a pre-war French internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka. Howard Caine, who was also Jewish (his birth name was Cohen), was American, and Jewish actors Harold Gould and Harold J. Stone made multiple appearances playing German generals. As a teenager, Klemperer fled Hitler's Germany with his family in 1933. During the show's production, he insisted that Hogan always win against his Nazi captors or else he would not take the part of Klink. He defended his playing a Luftwaffe Officer by claiming, "I am an actor. If I can play Richard III, I can play a Nazi." Banner attempted to sum up the paradox of his role by saying, "Who can play Nazis better than us Jews?" Klemperer, Banner, Caine, Gould, and Askin play stereotypical World War II Germans, and all had served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II—Banner[14] and Askin in the U.S. Army Air Corps, Caine in the U.S. Navy, Gould with the U.S. Army, and Klemperer in a U.S. Army Entertainment Unit. Werner Klemperer had in 1961 starred as the title character in the serious drama Operation Eichmann, which also featured John Banner in a supporting role as a committed Nazi. Ruta Lee, Theodore Marcuse, and Oscar Beregi, Jr. also appeared in the film, each went on to make several guest appearances on Hogan’s Heroes.

Wow! That’s fascinating. Thanks for sharing.  I had forgotten about Hogan’s Hero’s. But that was another one for at my grandparents. Despite having zero relatives or ancestors or hearing any personal anecdotes regarding WWII or the Nazi’s - they were always were my hugest fear as a child. I could not, and still can not, wrap my mind around that level of orchestrated cruelty. 

On 10/16/2018 at 2:23 PM, libgirl2 said:

I loved Jimmy Baio. 

i loved scott baio back in the day up until he went nuts...about trump and was so heartless about Erin Moran's death. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived