IGNORED

Bates 25: Moving The Kids Out of the House

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, JillyO said:

I feel like the middle Bates kids (Trace, Carlin, Josie, Katie) may all opt to go to Campbell and John's wedding. They seem to be pretty close, and are certainly much closer in age. Not sure they would have any personal relationship with JD, and I'm not sure they know the Burnetts at all (apart from seeing each other at Big Sandy).

Anyone from Tori on up, I imagine they'll go to JD and Abby's wedding. Same with Gil and Kelly, and probably the younger kids (Jackson on down).

Oh lord all these fundie weddings. Tori is pretty heavily pregnant and lord knows i would not want to be traipsing round the country so heavily pregnant. Each to their own but it would not be my thing....

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of years or so ago, wasn't Campbell Roberts the secret wannabe 'special friend' of Trace... she (and her brother or some sibling) went on the Bates Family ski trip and hung & clung all over Trace? It seems to me it was Campbell.

1 hour ago, Bobology said:

A couple of years or so ago, wasn't Campbell Roberts the secret wannabe 'special friend' of Trace... she (and her brother or some sibling) went on the Bates Family ski trip and hung & clung all over Trace? It seems to me it was Campbell.

oh is there photos  I have no idea who  they are 

9 hours ago, Bobology said:

Yes it was Campbell and her brother Edgar. Edgar is now also engaged. 

10 hours ago, Bobology said:

Yes, it was the episode they went skiing together season five episode 12 Mass-a-somethin. Carlin brought Evan, Trace brought Campbell. She never appeared again. 

23 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Yes, it was the episode they went skiing together season five episode 12 Mass-a-somethin. Carlin brought Evan, Trace brought Campbell. She never appeared again. 

Massanutten! It's a "4 seasons resort" in Virginia, near Shenandoah. Fun fact: my husband and I once did one of those timeshare tours so we could get a free weekend stay there and a bunch of gift certificates. The skiing is shitty (I grew up in New England so compared to Vermont mountains...) but it's an overall fun place.

At one point weren't there also rumors of Trace with Daisy?

The Roberts are now posting Instagram stories of the pre-wedding events (there's sweaty DANCING) and so far no Bates. Just a reminder that these are the seemingly "cool" fundies who wear pants and dance but still have gross beliefs. Kennedy Morton who is also married in is a great example, popping out babies and then letting them ride around on the highway with no car seat or safety belt. Her stupid face has made an appearance in one of the stories.

21 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Massanutten! It's a "4 seasons resort" in Virginia, near Shenandoah. Fun fact: my husband and I once did one of those timeshare tours so we could get a free weekend stay there and a bunch of gift certificates. The skiing is shitty (I grew up in New England so compared to Vermont mountains...) but it's an overall fun place.

We like Massanutten a lot. The first time we went there I agreed to their timeshare tour in exchange for activity passes for the week, but we barely used them, and the timeshare spiel, tour, and lunch took up essentially the whole day, plus the lunch sucked. Now when we use our timeshare points my husband gets all headship-y about reminding me not to do that again.

3 hours ago, freethemall said:

At one point weren't there also rumors of Trace with Daisy?

The Roberts are now posting Instagram stories of the pre-wedding events (there's sweaty DANCING) and so far no Bates. Just a reminder that these are the seemingly "cool" fundies who wear pants and dance but still have gross beliefs. Kennedy Morton who is also married in is a great example, popping out babies and then letting them ride around on the highway with no car seat or safety belt. Her stupid face has made an appearance in one of the stories.

I don’t know if I would include not using a car seat as a gross belief. I would call it the result of immature and uneducated kids having babies. 

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

We like Massanutten a lot. The first time we went there I agreed to their timeshare tour in exchange for activity passes for the week, but we barely used them, and the timeshare spiel, tour, and lunch took up essentially the whole day, plus the lunch sucked. Now when we use our timeshare points my husband gets all headship-y about reminding me not to do that again.

Lol we tried being snarky about the all day timeshare tour and even though it took way too long and was obnoxious, we kind of had fun and felt like we gamed the system in walking away with a free weekend stay (that we used on new year's), an ihop gift card and a $100 visa gift card. I don't remember getting lunch though...

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t know if I would include not using a car seat as a gross belief. I would call it the result of immature and uneducated kids having babies. 

Could it not be part of the belief of "God will take care of us"?

I saw in one of Campbell's recent stories John was driving around without a seat belt. We've heard lots of stories about the Mortons not wearing them. At this point I'm inclined to call them the Cult of Anti-Car Safety.

On 10/31/2018 at 8:19 PM, AussieKrissy said:

for those of us (namely me) that don't know about the mortons and the roberts are they ilpb, how high up on the fundie food chain are they and why would josie and trace pick them over the duggars?

OKay so I decided to create a Roberts thread:

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

Could it not be part of the belief of "God will take care of us"?

I saw in one of Campbell's recent stories John was driving around without a seat belt. We've heard lots of stories about the Mortons not wearing them. At this point I'm inclined to call them the Cult of Anti-Car Safety.

The Mortons (multiple family members) have all had multiple citations for having kids ride around without a seatbelt.  Even my pet fundie Addie.  They definitely are "The Lord will watch over his people" /"Keep your government hands off of me" sort of people.  Deeply Dominionist.  The government should not have any say in how I raise my kids/spend my hard earned money but should outlaw abortion/same sex marriage/etc.  They want God in the school but not in their pocket.  

On 10/31/2018 at 7:19 PM, AussieKrissy said:

for those of us (namely me) that don't know about the mortons and the roberts are they ilpb, how high up on the fundie food chain are they and why would josie and trace pick them over the duggars?

Ooh, the Morton rabbit hole is deep. They don't give too many updates these days but they had a series of very active, strange blogs back in the day. Top points:

• Their three oldest(?) children (of twelve) got married in rapid succession to a trio of siblings from an even loonier family, the Smiths. These were celebrated with supremely bizarre weddings, complete with bride price, horses, and wedding party attire that looked like it came from a high school theater department.
  • In the past ten years, they've managed to produce nearly 40 grandchildren, and they show no sign of stopping.
  • The oldest Morton daughter, Katie, divorced her husband Alan Smith a couple of years ago when he was arrested for child molestation. She was like 8 1/2 months pregnant with her 8th child when it all went down. The elder Smiths and Mortons are no longer on speaking terms because Alan's parents refuse to admit he did anything wrong.
  • The sole unmarried daughter, Adeline, is a real character. She used to write the blog in this weird, twee style full of baby talk and made-up words. 
  • For some reason part of the family is now living in rural Paraguay?

I don't think they are high up on any kind of food chain, but they are certainly the rulers of their own weird little empire. 

1 hour ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Ooh, the Morton rabbit hole is deep. They don't give too many updates these days but they had a series of very active, strange blogs back in the day. Top points:

• Their three oldest(?) children (of twelve) got married in rapid succession to a trio of siblings from an even loonier family, the Smiths. These were celebrated with supremely bizarre weddings, complete with bride price, horses, and wedding party attire that looked like it came from a high school theater department.
  • In the past ten years, they've managed to produce nearly 40 grandchildren, and they show no sign of stopping.
  • The oldest Morton daughter, Katie, divorced her husband Alan Smith a couple of years ago when he was arrested for child molestation. She was like 8 1/2 months pregnant with her 8th child when it all went down. The elder Smiths and Mortons are no longer on speaking terms because Alan's parents refuse to admit he did anything wrong.
  • The sole unmarried daughter, Adeline, is a real character. She used to write the blog in this weird, twee style full of baby talk and made-up words. 

I don't think they are high up on any kind of food chain, but they are certainly the rulers of their own weird little empire. 

Don’t forget that the grandparents of the Smorton tribe got married as well! So there were 4 marriages between the families. 

Someone (I think @neurogirl) just did an excellent breakdown of this and I think it’s on top of the Smith or Morton forum. It helps immensely. They are confusing.

14 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Holy fuck. What a shit storm of well, shit..... 

Thanks for that breakdown. I am staying away from them. That break down is appealing to my obssive, stalk weird fundies,  heart. 

Bates and Duggar’s and their various in-laws are enough of a time waste. For my obsession to take up. 

Okay so I don't wanna snark on other people's names, because it might be from another culture, but I just... don't understand the name El Roi DeKalb Morton (son of Michael Morton Jr and Kressant Smith) - anyone know what the deal is, what the name is about? I don't wanna snark because I don't know the story. It sounds almost... star wars-y. 

Also again I don't wanna snark, but Kressant Smith's name sounds like a sister of Peeta Mellark.  

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

Okay so I don't wanna snark on other people's names, because it might be from another culture, but I just... don't understand the name El Roi DeKalb Morton (son of Michael Morton Jr and Kressant Smith) - anyone know what the deal is, what the name is about? I don't wanna snark because I don't know the story. It sounds almost... star wars-y. 

Also again I don't wanna snark, but Kressant Smith's name sounds like a sister of Peeta Mellark.  

I think we only had some guesses as to why they chose the name. We thought maybe Dekalb was after the county in Georgia since they are from GA. And they might have just spelled Elroy weird. 

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe her gross belief is that “god will protect them”. No shot at you. I wanna find that lady and throttle her just reading that shit. Uneducated or not that shit needs figurative slapping out of her ignorant arse. Poor babies. 

3 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Maybe her gross belief is that “god will protect them”. No shot at you. I wanna find that lady and throttle her just reading that shit. Uneducated or not that shit needs figurative slapping out of her ignorant arse. Poor babies. 

So many of these fundies got a shitty homeschool education and married as teens or early 20s. So it’s pretty hard to figure out what is complete ignorance and what is a fucked up belief. They are all probably pretty intertwined. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So many of these fundies got a shitty homeschool education and married as teens or early 20s. So it’s pretty hard to figure out what is complete ignorance and what is a fucked up belief. They are all probably pretty intertwined. 

Reminds me of a line in the Golden Girls where someone asked Blanche and Dorothy about Rose, "Stupid or crazy?" and the response was, "we think it's a mix."

And they might have just spelled Elroy weird. 

El Roi is one of the Hebrew words for the Old Testament God. It means 'my shepherd' and is found in Psalms 23 among other passages. I believe from what I remember being taught in church that there are 7 different Hebrew words used for God in the OT, but English translations only translate 'God'. You all may have heard the term Jehovah Jireh? That's another of the 7.

My name it and claim it church would use whatever name translation gave them the best version of what they wanted at the time. Funny, they taught about this, but not about the female words used in Hebrew for the Holy Spirit! (if this is hearsay I apologize, it's something I have read from more liberal Christians)

Tl;dr They literally named their kid 'God Shepherd' [emoji27]

24 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:

El Roi is one of the Hebrew words for the Old Testament God. It means 'my shepherd' and is found in Psalms 23 among other passages.

Wait, so they basically named their kid God? 

So Alyssa and Carlin went to the Roberts/Morton wedding instead of Duggar. This makes it even more confusing with Erin's possibly dropping Brook off in Florida, because it seems she went to the Oklahoma wedding. Strange.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived