IGNORED

Bates 25: Moving The Kids Out of the House

Coconut Flan

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone mentioned that the Bates original show (United Bates of America) is free on amazon prime so I decided to binge while my baby naps. Haha. It’s fun to see them a lot younger with their matching outfits. And I spotted Chad and Austin Forsyth (joy duggar’s husband) at the Big Sandy Conference (this was before any of them were courting/married). Funny how small their world is. And so much crinkly permed hair. They made a chicken coop one episode. Wonder what happened to that “money saver”.  Tori was shown as not being able to cook....she said she would learn when she got a “fellar”.  Well that didn’t work out. 

That's what's kind of consuming about this. I wonder if they didn't want her to wait while crown's nursing school was being developed?

1 hour ago, Markie said:

Didn’t Katie say she wanted to be a nurse? Now she is doing Make Up application at Crown College. Why?

I’m sure her parents were a huge part of that decision. 

The Salyers are at a beach in FL and are wearing very mainstream bathing suits. They aren’t bikinis but they are your basic bathing suit with a short swim skirt. No one would think they were fundie in those suits.

5 hours ago, Markie said:

Didn’t Katie say she wanted to be a nurse? Now she is doing Make Up application at Crown College. Why?

I would say that even fundies may have changed their mind over the course of several years. 

19 minutes ago, elliha said:

I would say that even fundies may have changed their mind over the course of several years. 

But it was not years, she said it in a live about 2 or 3 months ago. She even made it sound that she was doing a semester at crown to prepare for the nursing.

I looked at Crown College and it doesn’t appear like the Nursing programme is up and going. I looked at many of the other courses and they all have a lot of shared bible courses so perhaps she is getting her bible courses done and can switch to nursing once it has started. 

Man, I really freakin want her to do nursing. I think that'd be so good for Katie, and that Katie would really be a good nurse - who would put her patients' needs first. If they hadn't mentioned the whole "Katie and Josie working together" jig I'd believe that maybe Katie's just "declaring" cosmetology as a starting program to get prereqs (and maybe some intro skills courses in cosmetology?) while Crown's nursing program gets off the ground, but....

Now that we know that Carlin is doing Liberty online I'm wondering if Kelly and Gill will ever approve of Katie doing their online nursing bachelor's program. She'll be able to stay at home to help with the kids and be able to study her preferred major at a fundie approved school. 

just to put it out there again - an "online" nursing program (BSN, RN, LVN, anything) DOES NOT EXIST, not in entirety. it is literally impossible to learn patient care skills without laying hands on a real, live patient. I suspect this is the problem Gil & KJ would see with Katie as a nurse. She'd be expected to touch boy bits.....not to mention any number of other non-fundie interactions.

I hope Katie made the decision herself to be a Cosmetologist, but I really doubt that happened.  

3 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

just to put it out there again - an "online" nursing program (BSN, RN, LVN, anything) DOES NOT EXIST, not in entirety. it is literally impossible to learn patient care skills without laying hands on a real, live patient. I suspect this is the problem Gil & KJ would see with Katie as a nurse. She'd be expected to touch boy bits.....not to mention any number of other non-fundie interactions.

Liberty does have a 100% online undergraduate nursing program, but it's an RN to BSN, so it assumes you've already been licensed as an RN and therefore already have hands-on clinical skills and mostly need the research, critical thinking, and leadership skills development that can be done remotely.   https://www.liberty.edu/online/nursing/bachelors/rn-to-bsn/

The straight BSN program for people who have no previous experience is a residential program so that students can get the clinical experience that they need for certification and licensure at the Liberty U School of Nursing itself.   http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?pid=10334 

How would Katie studying nursing and home school all her siblings which is what she is going to have to do with Carlin and Josie leaving soon. 

8 hours ago, metheglyn said:

Liberty does have a 100% online undergraduate nursing program, but it's an RN to BSN, so it assumes you've already been licensed as an RN ...

yeah, there are tons of online RN-to-BSN programs, many of the nurses I used to work with were working on completing those degrees. that wasn't the point I was trying to make, though. The point is that Katie Grace Bates could not become a nurse, in any meaning of the word, with an entirely online curriculum. Meaning that nursing would 1) expose her to scandalous non-fundie things and 2) take her away from slaving away to run the Bates household for too long.....both of which likely factored into her "prayers" that led to this change in paths to cosmetology. 

I agree that there is no way that Katie would be allowed to become an RN or BSN, even with Kelly and Gil's nascent permissiveness. Which is a shame, especially since Liberty's nursing program is one of the school's few actually solid departments. 

However, do you guys think she would be allowed to become an LPN and study at a community college? Michael did for early childhood education. 

Do you think they thought Michael was going to do anything productive with that degree? It’s “safe” Correlates with all the babies she was going to be having.

Also, didn’t she have to finish it at the community college since she moved after marriage? (I don’t remember.) 

I think if Katie found herself a potential headship and the headship wanted to move...she might manage to get into a community college program. But look at what’s happened to Carlin. I think Kelly’s bottom line is Kelly. She needs help. That’s going to be Katie.

Well, something tells me that Katie is already getting to know someone. I can’t put my finger on it but this is the feeling I have.

Wonder when K&G finally start pushing the boys out of the house. Those man children must make a lot of work (cooking, washing) and their hobbies/jobs might cost more money than they make with it (Trace and his trick riding). If I successfully married off all my daughters I would desperately try to get rid of the boys to decrease the workload. I always wondered why they didn’t already started it - at least the girls hold up the housework.

Just now, just_ordinary said:

Well, something tells me that Katie is already getting to know someone. I can’t put my finger on it but this is the feeling I have.

Wonder when K&G finally start pushing the boys out of the house. Those man children must make a lot of work (cooking, washing) and their hobbies/jobs might cost more money than they make with it (Trace and his trick riding). If I successfully married off all my daughters I would desperately try to get rid of the boys to decrease the workload. I always wondered why they didn’t already started it - at least the girls hold up the housework.

I have the same impression! everytime some of them mentions the single people they seem to forget Katie. I know she is not yet 18 and that might be the reason. Also if she is already geting to know someone that could have played in her deciding to not do nursing, since its a 4 years program, and she could have seem herself waiting for ever to marry like Carlin.

TBH i think they do push them, Erin (probably adviced by Kelly) introduced Nathan to Ashley in the first place, and they probably introduced girls to Lawson too. It just doesnt seem to have worked well so far.

9 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Do you think they thought Michael was going to do anything productive with that degree? It’s “safe” Correlates with all the babies she was going to be having.

Also, didn’t she have to finish it at the community college since she moved after marriage? (I don’t remember.)

Michael never went to Clown. She started and finished at Community College. However, I don't think Katie would be allowed to get an LPN at a CC. LPN training still requires hands-on experience, and students definitely see and learn things the Bates kidults aren't supposed to see and learn.

It's so strange that cosmetology would be preferable to nursing. With nursing, you actually HELP people. You can do so much good! You help people at their most vulnerable. People in hospitals get so attached to their nurses because their nurses helped them when they were at their weakest. You have the chance do to all the things Jesus' preached about.

Cosmetology is fine, and I know you can help people there too, but you learn about hair coloring and makeup. This is a group of people who emphasize modesty. I don't get why it is a preferable profession.

Cosmetology over nursing just shows how shallow these folks are...looks and countenance over helping anyone. I don't get it all.

I guess if she is "getting to know someone", a cosmetology course would be over faster than a nursing degree...  I just really hope it's her freely made and heartfelt choice, and she hasn't been pressured out of doing something she really wanted, like Jill Dillard was with her desire to do nursing.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived