IGNORED

Bates 25: Moving The Kids Out of the House

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

I honestly believe Katie will be next- announcing a courtship not later than summer 2019. Actually, I can see that happen this year as I have a feeling she is already „talking to/getting to know” someone (not sure how the Bates phrase it).

Trace could be the first of the boys with Nathan and Lawson waiting till they are 28-30. I wonder if we will see much of Nathan’s next relationship. He is a bit of a wild card for me. I can see him pick a Anna/Lauren Duggar girl and continue being a douche or maybe mature a bit into a more JD kind of man.  Lawson might pick a rather “worldly“ woman but I cannot picture him with someone who isn’t his biggest groupie and quite immature, worshipping the ground he walk on.

I agree that I think that Trace might be first of the boys. I could see him see some girl at church or some event he thinks is pretty and a bit of fun and just pick her. He is young so not thinking as much about the consequences of doing so but he also seems to have a bit of an "things will be fine"-attitude and they may very well be since people with this attitude are usually pretty good at being flexible and that is necessary in a marriage especially when you are young and getting married. 

I think that both Nathan and Lawson are drawn to the idea of a woman that will challenge them and I actually think Lawson even more than Nathan. I think that while he is shallow and vain I think he actually knows he is and that he is trying to decide if he shall do the more comfortable and easy thing and stay that way and marry a full on fundie girl with a pretty face who will worship the ground he walks on or one of the women that might not but that may actually be more attractive to him. I think Nathan tried to combine the two in Ashley but even that was too much for him so with him I think age will tell. Will he wait a couple more years he might be more mature and able to stand a more challenging girl and then also pick a girl like that but if he goes into "I just wanna get married"-mode he will probably pick a more typical fundie girl. I don't think he will go as far as an Anna Duggar type, it will probably be some silly girl that is friends with his sisters and who will be kind of an air head who he can mostly ignore when he likes to but is still good looking and acceptable in his parents' eyes. 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very curious how the Bates boys are going to support their future families.  That UP money doesn't go very far, and I don't think that the tree business can feed several more dependents. I don't think downloads of Lawson's songs are enough to cover the investment & travel expenses that he's put into recording, and he does very few concerts & mainly for charity.

In spite of Crown college's new trades program, none of the Bates boys appear to have enrolled.

Lawson, to my knowledge, still has the lawn service.  And Nathan is teaching for Alert (I think) with flying.  I'm assuming (yes, I know) that he has money of some sort or he wouldn't be flying.  All the Bates boys have participated in the tree service and are capable of supporting themselves.  Much more than the Duggars have actually demonstrated (egads I'm supporting these people with a post)

I really don't know who Nathan will find for a spouse.  He couldn't handle Ashley.  Heck, he couldn't even handle that Tori wore her hair up for her wedding, and he criticized her, telling her that she'd regret it.  I think he just wants to find someone to worship him that will wear her hair in the Gothard-approved long curls/waves.  Ashley dodged a bullet there.

Didn't Lawson give the lawn service over to one of his brothers? Or was that the tree service. I think he mentioned in one of the episodes. It was either Trace, Jackson, or Warden? 

4 hours ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

I really don't know who Nathan will find for a spouse.  He couldn't handle Ashley.  Heck, he couldn't even handle that Tori wore her hair up for her wedding, and he criticized her, telling her that she'd regret it.  I think he just wants to find someone to worship him that will wear her hair in the Gothard-approved long curls/waves.  Ashley dodged a bullet there.

Yeah, I think he will be looking for a super sweet, super submissive fundie girl who's really into traditional gender roles and thinks he walks on water.

47 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah, I think he will be looking for a super sweet, super submissive fundie girl who's really into traditional gender roles and thinks he walks on water.

So do I. I pity the poor girl who apparently will be told every time she doesn't look nice that she doesn't look nice or have to wear her hair how he wants her to wear it. Who ever you, your deserve better. 

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

And will blame herself when she is miserable instead of letting herself realize she married an asshole. I pity the poor girl who ends up with Nathan. 

Lawson might be marginally better, but I really don't think he will want anyone who disagrees with him too much on any subject. 

Zach is probably the best of the Bates sons and that might be because he was humiliated on television, realized that the whole courtship thing didn't work and found a wife on his own. 

On 10/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, llucie said:

i think i send you md with directions, i say i think because i am not sure how mds work, if you received it please send a signal lol

Kelly finally got around to write Katie birthday post. Its amazing how diferent she looks from when she was a kid. I would not have recognised her.

She is such a pretty girl. I think some fundie boy is going to snatch her up quickly. 

Don't forget Nathan's other wonderful moments:

If a girl says no to your proposal, you keep asking until she says yes.

If a girl asks if an outfit suits her, you be honest and tell her she looks bad/fat etc if you think she does.

Lawson's answers were the opposite, including no to a proposal means no, and always tell her what she wants to hear. Just some more reasons why we've got slightly more hope for his choice of wife.

12 hours ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

He's looking for a Priscilla-type. I'm sure he will find someone somewhere in the IBLP community, unfortunately. 

I wouldn't wish marrying any of the Bates boys on anyone. Nathan is an asshole and Lawson is a narcissist. 

On 10/19/2018 at 10:50 PM, formergothardite said:

Zach is probably the best of the Bates sons and that might be because he was humiliated on television, realized that the whole courtship thing didn't work and found a wife on his own

I agree, but maybe some of the middle boys will be nice, hard-working men, too. Nathan is the very worst out of the Bates boys. 

I don't think Zach is a better husband because the humiliation. Public shame turns people worst not better, and can become more bitter or depressed. Zach is a better husband to Whit than he would have been to Sarah because he dated Whit out of the courtship rules and they were 2 free people in love, not in an arranged relationship, plus they could talk alone and feel close to each other before the engagement. Probably Zach learned a lesson from the failed courtship, but he was a kind person before and after.

This said, and while I do not doubt he's a lovely husband, I'm not sure about how he behaves as a policeman. He is extremely conservative in a traditionally racist area. But maybe it's also a quiet area and he's not facing difficult situations. 

There's likely to be a difference in entitlement between Zach and the next lot of Bates boys.

As the eldest I'm sure that Zach had to help Kelly with a lot of the feminine chores and childcare while waiting for Michael and Erin to grow up and be helpful.  Until Michael and Erin were old enough to take on the burden of effective sister momming, I'm sure Zach was pressed into it (not to the extent of his sisters but more than any of the other Bates boys).

Nathan et al never had that issue or the childcare burden as they had older sisters.

On 10/19/2018 at 9:21 AM, HereticHick said:

I am very curious how the Bates boys are going to support their future families.  That UP money doesn't go very far, and I don't think that the tree business can feed several more dependents. I don't think downloads of Lawson's songs are enough to cover the investment & travel expenses that he's put into recording, and he does very few concerts & mainly for charity.

In spite of Crown college's new trades program, none of the Bates boys appear to have enrolled.

I think this is one of the saddest things about this family.  The girls, who seem to have some desire to pursue their education & get meaningful jobs are discouraged from working. While the grown sons in the family are having a complete “failure to launch” & just sit around pursuing hobbies & doing very little that could actually earn them money & make them independent.  These apples arent falling very far from the tree.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:27 AM, Naughty&nice said:

I think this is one of the saddest things about this family.  The girls, who seem to have some desire to pursue their education & get meaningful jobs are discouraged from working. While the grown sons in the family are having a complete “failure to launch” & just sit around pursuing hobbies & doing very little that could actually earn them money & make them independent.  These apples arent falling very far from the tree.

I wonder if they are failing to launch or choosing not to launch, Lawson in particular because I think he is perfectly capable of "launching" and getting a real job.

But what motivation does he have to launch and adult when his parents are seemingly cool with him living at home and having no job other than half-assing a music "career"? If he launches and moved out, he actually has to get a job and go to work to pay the bills rather than spending all his time driving around, going for icecream with his sisters, going to sports games, riding his horse, and taking pictures with nieces and nephews.

I completely totally understand a 26 year old guy not feeling ready/not wanting for marriage and kids at this point in his life, so I will not judge him for that. There is nothing wrong with being single and not looking, whether you are 16, 26, 46 or 86. In this economy, I even understand 26 year olds living at home, especially if they are studying full time or are working full time and are living at home for a while to build up savings. But he is basically living like a 18-21 year old college student who is back home for the summer....and he has been for years now.

41 minutes ago, Calypso said:

Just ugh 

Heres a screenshot of the post in case it ever magically goes poof for pr reasons

Yeah, I came here to comment the same thing.  Really?  A MAGA hat on a kid?  Such hypocrites with their holier-than-thou attitude.  I get that they are definitely going to vote for whoever is anti-abortion, but to advertise for someone who is the polar opposite of all of their so-called values?  Guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it shocks me how many evangelicals will crucify their own for simply getting a divorce but will give a pass to MAGA.

They are getting some negative feedback in the comment section. They fucked up royally. How can they not know this would be very bad PR? Or do they just not give a fuck anymore now that their show is successful? 

Adding more fuel to the fire: here’s a screenshot of a comment left by that guy that we speculated was getting to know Katie at Josie’s wedding.

2494B535-ED0F-42D4-ABE2-E031F2E39B1A.jpeg

EF9C9866-5B44-425A-86C4-546849D87482.jpeg

9 hours ago, Calypso said:

Just ugh 

Heres a screenshot of the post in case it ever magically goes poof for pr reasons

Screenshot_20181023-181614_Instagram.jpg

I’ll add this to the family summaries thread. Like you, I feel it should be preserved for posterity. 

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

How can they not know this would be very bad PR?

Like discussed in the Josie thread, the Bates live in a protected bubble of evangelical whiteness where loving all things Trump is the norm. In that bubble they didn't realize how many people find Trump offensive and be dismayed that the Bates support him. It is like the shrine to racism, Kelly is pretty good at keeping their nasty beliefs hidden, but she has lived so long in her bubble of white privilege that she didn't realize most people frown at making a patriot room that only worships Confederate leaders. 

It is good when the Bates remind us what they really stand for. 

Same-sex marriage has been legal for 4 years or so. It has been legal in certain states for over a decade. The Bates still act like LGBT people are .1% of the population and encountering one is like encountering Bigfoot. The bubble is real. It's very real. 

58 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Like discussed in the Josie thread, the Bates live in a protected bubble of evangelical whiteness where loving all things Trump is the norm. In that bubble they didn't realize how many people find Trump offensive and be dismayed that the Bates support him. It is like the shrine to racism, Kelly is pretty good at keeping their nasty beliefs hidden, but she has lived so long in her bubble of white privilege that she didn't realize most people frown at making a patriot room that only worships Confederate leaders. 

I guess I figured that with their being at UP for a few years now, UP would give them a lot of advice on good and bad PR. I feel like UP themselves are actually pretty good at being a wholesome channel without being too political. I’ve always imagined that was their point. They want to appeal to everyone. I figured the Bates family did too. Gil seems to really like money and this could hurt his wallet.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

. It is like the shrine to racism, Kelly is pretty good at keeping their nasty beliefs hidden, but she has lived so long in her bubble of white privilege that she didn't realize most people frown at making a patriot room that only worships Confederate leaders. 

Thanks for the reminder of their Nathan Bedford Forrest shrine, since he's in the news again:  https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/412833-senior-va-official-criticized-for-displaying-portrait-of-kkks-first

"A senior official with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is facing allegations of racism for hanging a portrait of the Ku Klux Klan’s first grand wizard in his office, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

David J. Thomas Sr. told the Post that he was not aware that the man in the portrait, Nathan Bedford Forrest, was the white supremacist organization's first figurehead. He said he removed the portrait after a Post reporter explained Forrest's significance."

Bullshit, Mr. Thomas. You knew.  I see you.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived