IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 43: No Homebirth, No Problem

Georgiana

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

This is true, but not for as many people as Christians often think. The people aren't really the problem for me; I know many Christians who I think are wonderful people. For me and most of the ex-Christians I know it simply comes down to not believing in the claims of Christianity and its Christ.

That is cool. People are free to believe, or not, whatever they want, for whatever reason they want. I don't believe in hell and I don't think that Christianity is perfect or problem free. I don't think any religion is perfect or problem free. FWIW, I have heard many during my long life reject Christianity because they say there are too many hypocrites in churches. I do think that opinions about any group are influenced by the behavior of members of that group, if such behaviors are common and frequent.

They aren't good at recruiting also lol. You could rope in a whole new generation of hipster fundies if you just claimed you DID believe in social justice:

- picketing at abortion clinics addresses intersectionality (greater numbers of women of color choosing abortion) as well as social justice (unjust for a baby to be killed). 

- Bible college programs in prisons to address unjust treatment of prisoners who are not given access to education 

- Church & Christian school planting in low socio-economic status communities who do not have equal access to education 

- etc. 

Based on some of what Lori Alexander has said, however, is that even doing "charity work" or any kind of "ministry" is not a woman's job, her job is to ignore politics/racism/etc and just raise her family cheerfully and without complaint. That would leave the men to do it, but they are busy working to support their family. Being not of this world does require one to literally revolve their entire life around their physical home and ignore injustice in the world. The mission trips they go on also don't address injustice because they are simply handing out tracts or preaching the fear of Hell to people in order to save their soul then leave. 

I think it would also be more effective if they acknowledged that these things do exist but that they don't care because people shouldn't be caring about them (they have no impact on whether you get to heaven or not), just focusing on cheerfully supporting their own family. 

Nothing in this really surprises or disappoints me, but this phrase has been sticking with me and freaking me out: "While we are to weep with those who weep, we deny that a person’s feelings of offense or oppression necessarily prove that someone else is guilty of sinful behaviors, oppression, or prejudice."

That's so gaslight-y. How can anyone who thinks that possibly be trusted to counsel others? It seems to be saying "I'll listen to you and pretend to sympathize, but actually deny that your experience exists." And that "necessarily!" That's just a way to wiggle out of fault when this perspective is inevitably proven wrong. It makes my blood boil.

I have some level of faith that maybe Felicity or her potential children will look back on this with shame, like many people born into oppressive groups choose to do. History just keeps repeating itself. JinJer are hopeless as far as I can tell though. I used to be a "time will tell" person when they got together... and, yeah, time is definitely telling.

I'm only comfortable with delving into why Jeremy is arguably more dangerous than Derrick if we don't forget that Derrick dedicated years of his life to a neo-colonialism, refuses to support his family, and harassed a trans minor. I understand why it's important to keep reminding ourselves that sparkly shiny Jeremy is dangerous, but let's not be easy on Derrick in the process. These are both terrible public figures in different ways.

19 hours ago, BernRul said:

I understand the sexuality and feminist position (okay no I don't, it's bull, but I understand why they think it from a religious pov) but the stuff about race? So basically any time a POC complains about racism it's wrong because Jesus? This just shows what racist pieces of shit they really are because there is literally nothing in the Bible to justify racism. Sure, you can find passages about a woman's place and homosexuality being sinful, but there's nothing about race. That comes completely from the age of justifying slavery and Jim Crow. 

I guess Mr. Intellectual doesn't grasp the concept that different people have different experiences. You know, I used to think that racism, while still around, wasn't that bad. I thought that becasue I was white and no one was racist towards me. Than I began an interracial relationship and had people scream slurs at me from their cars. Like, Jeremy, you're so smart you should be able to get a concept that most people stop struggling with by age 6. It's just so funny to me (in the depressing way) how so many white people can't grasp the idea that they need to listen to what POC say about racism, becasue they actually know what they're talking about. 

Jeremy loves reading so much, he should try Letter from a Birmingham Jail by a true Christain and intellectual. It might give him some perspective on why we have things like BLM and anthem protests. He should also try asking his Mexican congregation about racial issues nowadays., but I'm sure he'd rather just hear the sound of his own voice. 

I think they think the statement shows they aren’t racist. 

2 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

I just watched that whole thing. Thank you so much for posting it, I finally have words for what I hate about Jordan Peterson. Long live the lobster queen!

Hah :D She's good fun. No problemo

None of this is at all surprising. Jeremy is so slimy. I hope his church fails completely. I really enjoy watching OfJill flounder through life and I hope Jeremy gets knocked down several pegs so we can watch him flounder a bit too. I wish for all men who hold these toxic beliefs to know nothing but failure in life. 

1 hour ago, NakedKnees said:

That's so gaslight-y. How can anyone who thinks that possibly be trusted to counsel others? It seems to be saying "I'll listen to you and pretend to sympathize, but actually deny that your experience exists." And that "necessarily!" That's just a way to wiggle out of fault when this perspective is inevitably proven wrong. It makes my blood boil.

Exactly this. They might as well say, "Hey! Come to us with all your hurts so we can tell you how they're all fake! Oh, we'll sympathize that you feel sad. But what made you sad wasn't real, so we'll also tell you that you're wrong to feel that way!" 

But you know what? Good. I'd so much rather they be upfront about their nastiness. It is far more insidious when they do things like @kmachete14 said. 

*Derick starts law school*

Jeremy: "Oh yeah? Well I am going to start a society and its going to be sooo exclusive, its going to have a coat of arms and everything!!!!!" *sticks tongue out*

0WPBDxPG-JZf8j7eNlVhG1XrV1-GKrloxzSSYXUQpNI.jpg.f9cf6f86ec2a094d0842ff8ad5045b88.jpg

You know--regarding smearing poo on the walls, can I just tell you that this is a real thing?  I work at a public building and we have had several episode of poo-smearing in the bathroom stalls.  Always the women's bathroom, FTR.  I think that it is an adult who does it, not a kid.  It is done deliberately and artfully.  We call this person "Poo-casso" by the way.

1 hour ago, BunnyBee said:

*Derick starts law school*

Jeremy: "Oh yeah? Well I am going to start a society and its going to be sooo exclusive, its going to have a coat of arms and everything!!!!!" *sticks tongue out*

0WPBDxPG-JZf8j7eNlVhG1XrV1-GKrloxzSSYXUQpNI.jpg.f9cf6f86ec2a094d0842ff8ad5045b88.jpg

Please tell me this is a joke.

32 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Please tell me this is a joke.

I wish this was a parody, but no the holy goalie is very serious

Sometimes I think we need to update our logo to show the girl falling into a pit of doom.

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

You know--regarding smearing poo on the walls, can I just tell you that this is a real thing?  I work at a public building and we have had several episode of poo-smearing in the bathroom stalls.  Always the women's bathroom, FTR.  I think that it is an adult who does it, not a kid.  It is done deliberately and artfully.  We call this person "Poo-casso" by the way.

One of my past workplaces also had a regular adult female customer who did this! I wish I could provide details because, really, she and her husband were total wealthy eccentrics in an overall charming way. Except the poop, of course.

Back on track... A COAT OF ARMS WTF JEREMY :laughing-rollingyellow:  What's next? Leather elbow patches? A pocketwatch? A pipe? Man, I'm just craving a social media misstep on Jeremy's part.

(to be clear, I like this type of thing in other contexts, but not on Jeremy)

It’s like frats for fundies.

And I thought Jeremy couldn’t get any more douchey. 

I’m calling him Fundie Frat-boi from now on. 

Edited to say: remember back in the day when Ben was dubbed Fundie Fuckboi? Good times. 

Given Ben’s attempts to discuss social justice and racism (in particular) in the past, I wonder what he thinks of his bestie’s views...my hopes aren’t high. 

4 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

Back on track... A COAT OF ARMS WTF JEREMY 

And it is a coat of arms that bears a Tiki torch. So appropriate....

So there'll be no more rambling nonsense a la Bro Gary... Hmmm... if Fundie Bros need Jezza' s help to produce a slick, 'on message' sermon, maybe they shouldn't be sermonizing.

I just don't get them. So they believe  marriage is only between a man and a woman. Good for them, but where do they get the idea that they should have any impact on other peoples lives? Arrogant pricks. This makes me angry because it's 2018 and humans are still fighting over petty shit like that while there are real problems out there. Oh wait, they don't think racism, sexism, privilege, class divide, global warming, pollution exist so it's all good fortunately.

2 hours ago, nellautumngirl said:

I just don't get them. So they believe  marriage is only between a man and a woman. Good for them, but where do they get the idea that they should have any impact on other peoples lives?

That baffles me too. No one is forcing them to live differently than they want to. They can have have straight marriages, stay pure, have a hundred children... they can even boycott anything we’re they feel like their morals are not represented (companies etc.). They can even preach (or rather harassing) to others with their ideas. So what exactly do they want more?

Why this obsession with the life of others?

Isn’t it enough for them to know that they are the only holders of truth, the godliest of the godlies, bla bla bla?

I mean I get the explanations for this behaviour but still this mindset is so far away from mine I just can’t wrap my head around it.

What happened to “mind your own fucking business “?

Wow, that coat of arms pin and tie combo is so perfectly matchy-matchy (albeit a Douchey matchy matchy) that I can't handle it.  Like, were they designed to go together, or is Jeremy just that good at shopping and matching?  He's gonna look like SUCH a tool.

I couldn't really make it through the anti-social justice treaty website- a) because it was disgusting and b) formatting.  It loaded on my screen into two LONG columns, presumably you would have to read down, then scroll back up to the top and read the other one?  I would be irritated with that even of I liked the subject matter.  Fundie garbage is a double NOPE to reading.

Free Felicity!

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

Wow, he also has a matching tie. 

Will Jing be heading up the Ladies Auxiliary of the Society?

When is Rush? When is the Autumn Semi-formal? Can my cocktail dress have bare shoulders or nah?  When is parent's weekend?  

14 hours ago, ElToro said:

Jeremy is a 'Specialized Preaching Tool'....

I laughed so much about this I woke up my 7-week-old who had just fallen asleep on my arm after a struggle of several hours.

Totally worth it ?

All this makes me wish Ben was more active on social media or we'd learn some details of what he's currently doing workwise. I still have hope he'll turn out to be the most reasonable and least fundie of the Duggar SILs.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived