IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 43: No Homebirth, No Problem

Georgiana

9 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

They really think none of this stuff applies to them because Jesus. Pretty sure Jesus had some choice words for people who upheld their so-called righteous lifestyle at the expense of others. 

I think a little bit of smiting might be in order.  Although I know that was God's gig and not Jesus.  

And even I am ready to go all "no more bows" for poor F.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/10/2018 at 12:38 PM, Jinder Roles said:

@TakingBibleClasses Yeah I'm not surprised. Ben did interact and seemed to care about getting rid of racism, but he never seem to understand systemic racism and oppression in general. 

Let's be honest, how many Americans are there who do understand that? I have liberal college educated relatives who can't grasp it. 

28 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Let's be honest, how many Americans are there who do understand that? I have liberal college educated relatives who can't grasp it. 

I think most white people don't understand it, but there's a big difference between not understanding and actively and publicly trying to put your spiritual authority into demonizing those who are trying to explain it, as well as those who are suffering from injustice. 

That's why I'm a lot more pissed at Jeremy than I am at my mailman. 

17 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I think most white people don't understand it, but there's a big difference between not understanding and actively and publicly trying to put your spiritual authority into demonizing those who are trying to explain it, as well as those who are suffering from injustice. 

That's why I'm a lot more pissed at Jeremy than I am at my mailman. 

And my comment was not addressing Jeremy rather a poster's assertion about Ben. 

6 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

And my comment was not addressing Jeremy rather a poster's assertion about Ben. 

Sorry, I should have made it more clear that I was only partially responding to your latest comment, but also more generally to the idea that this kind of racism is pretty common so we shouldn't really be surprised that our cute fundies do it too. 

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Oh I know. I was just pointing that I’m not surprised Ben shares these views.

Previous posts in the thread wondered how Ben might feel about Jeremy signing the document. I was pointing out that although  Ben did speak out somewhat on racism in the past,  and had hung out with Flame while trying to rap, he never really understood it (just said it was a personal sin people need to repent from) so don’t hold your breath. 

I read an article about how white evangelicals in the southern US are sociologically the most individualistic and least likely to recognize systemic issues of almost any other identity group in the US. It has to do partially with white privilege and partly a faith premised on individual judgment before God (how to account for group culpability on judgment day?). Suddenly so much of the Christian right made sense to me! 

"In Divided by Faith, Michael O. Emerson and Christian Smith probe the grassroots of white evangelical America, through a nationwide telephone survey of 2,000 people, along with 200 face-to-face interviews. The results of their research are surprising. Most white evangelicals, they learned, see no systematic discrimination against blacks; indeed, they deny the existence of any ongoing racial problem in the United States." 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.researchgate.net/publication/249291851_Divided_By_Faith_Evangelical_Religion_and_the_Problem_of_Race_in_America/amp

35 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Oh I know. I was just pointing that I’m not surprised Ben shares these views.

Previous posts in the thread wondered how Ben might feel about Jeremy signing the document. I was pointing out that although  Ben did speak out somewhat on racism in the past,  and had hung out with Flame while trying to rap, he never really understood it (just said it was a personal sin people need to repent from) so don’t hold your breath. 

Ben talks about racism all the time on his twitter. He has also talked positively of interracial couples. 
I think its his one good quality he has above the rest.

2 hours ago, SCROW10 said:

Ben talks about racism all the time on his twitter. He has also talked positively of interracial couples. 
I think its his one good quality he has above the rest.

Meh, that’s a low bar for not being racist IMO. I don’t think any of he Duggar ilk are actively against interracial pairings (that would be blaringly prejudiced and against their brand of belief).

Im not saying Ben is a horrible racist (I actually find the preoccupation with labeling people as “a racist” or not to be part of the problem that allows for denying structural problems exist) 

Im saying  for all his talking he still doesn’t seem to understand basic concepts of systemic discrimination . That’s the issue...and that’s what the terrible letter Jeremy (and Ben seems to agree with) signed is about. 

Edited to say: I’m not coming down hard on you, I just don’t want the points I’ve been making to be misunderstood. And yeah you’re right , Ben does acknowledge racism in some capacity more than any Duggar or ofDuggar.) 

Noticed a familiar location in one of the screenshots posted here and when I googled the name it's someone who works in administration at my (public!) alma mater. Yuck!

I still can't believe that they would just come right out and say that they're opposed to social justice. I guess it's the Catholic in me. But wouldn't they at least want to pay lip service to the notion? Being anti-justice seems like an okay way to win over alt-right shitbags from Reddit, if most of them weren't avowedly atheist, but not a great way to convince the American public that you possess any moral fortitude whatsoever.

On 9/6/2018 at 1:57 PM, kmachete14 said:

They aren't good at recruiting also lol. You could rope in a whole new generation of hipster fundies if you just claimed you DID believe in social justice:

- picketing at abortion clinics addresses intersectionality (greater numbers of women of color choosing abortion) as well as social justice (unjust for a baby to be killed). 

- Bible college programs in prisons to address unjust treatment of prisoners who are not given access to education 

- Church & Christian school planting in low socio-economic status communities who do not have equal access to education 

- etc. 

Based on some of what Lori Alexander has said, however, is that even doing "charity work" or any kind of "ministry" is not a woman's job, her job is to ignore politics/racism/etc and just raise her family cheerfully and without complaint. That would leave the men to do it, but they are busy working to support their family. Being not of this world does require one to literally revolve their entire life around their physical home and ignore injustice in the world. The mission trips they go on also don't address injustice because they are simply handing out tracts or preaching the fear of Hell to people in order to save their soul then leave. 

I think it would also be more effective if they acknowledged that these things do exist but that they don't care because people shouldn't be caring about them (they have no impact on whether you get to heaven or not), just focusing on cheerfully supporting their own family. 

But mainline Christiamns and Catholics actually DO these things and have declining youth numbers. What am I misunderstanding  in your post? 

Wartburg Watch is reporting that John Mac Arthur's Master seminary has been placed on probation. John Mac Arthur has doubled down on there is no racism in "authentic" evangelical churches. Oh and John Mac Arthur had been compensating his son-in-law 600,000 annually for "ministry."

On 9/11/2018 at 3:53 AM, Iamtheway said:

I know a lot of kids like being swaddled but Miniway would have screamed like we were trying to kill him if we had tried to force him in to something like that. I still can’t get him to wear any cover at all when he sleeps. He needs his freedom to kick his parents in the face while sleeping.

We wanted him to have a dummy because we thought it would be easier to quit. Can’t give your tumb to Santa. He never missed it once he was asleep though so it was easy. We also had a million of them so there was always one close by. It was still hard to get him to give them up. He talks about them longingly sometimes even now.

I had a thumb sucker and a binky (dummy) user. The Binky was easier to ditch!!! just sayin'! Thumb sucker is now no longer a thumb sucker, but she quit sometime in 1st grade I think.

34 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Wartburg Watch is reporting that John Mac Arthur's Master seminary has been placed on probation. John Mac Arthur has doubled down on there is no racism in "authentic" evangelical churches. Oh and John Mac Arthur had been compensating his son-in-law 600,000 annually for "ministry."

Yup

https://www.christianpost.com/news/john-macarthurs-masters-university-put-on-probation-by-accrediting-agency-226926/

https://signalscv.com/2018/08/masters-university-on-probation/

"One of the six regional accrediting agencies in the United States has formally notified The Master’s University its accreditation is on probation, following a report questioning the college’s board independence, personnel and management practices, operational integrity and leadership.

The Western Association of Schools and Colleges, or WASC, through its Senior College and University Commission, or WSCUC, imposed the sanction of probation after its review team conducted a visit to TMU in March.

Among the issues cited in the WASC report are allegations of conflicts of interest regarding student financial aid, institutional leaders being hired who lack qualifications for the higher education positions they hold, and what the WSCUC described as “a disturbing climate of fear, intimidation and bullying” at the university."

Has Jeremy tweeted/posted anything more about this document?
I would ask if Jinger has, but she is generally silent online about the dark side of her beliefs.

12 hours ago, Letizia said:

That is such a cute photo. How can he look at that little girl and not want her to have every oppertunity in the world? How can he look at that smile and wish her a crap education, a narrow mind, and a future as a helpmeet whose only job is to pop out kids and look adoringly at her headship?

I will never understand it. #FreeFelicity

Jinger posted a new pic of Felicity. Again with the mittens.

She's also disabled comments on the post. Guess she's tired of being asked about those damned things on her daughter's hands.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived