IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 43: No Homebirth, No Problem

Georgiana

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Exactly this. They might as well say, "Hey! Come to us with all your hurts so we can tell you how they're all fake! Oh, we'll sympathize that you feel sad. But what made you sad wasn't real, so we'll also tell you that you're wrong to feel that way!" 

Except when their feelings are hurt because someone is “persecuting them” for being “good Christians.” I bet it’s legitimate then. 

Ben seemed to get into a social injustice-conscious stripe of evangelism while Flame was his rap mentor(??) but I wonder if he's drifted away from it after becoming more buddy-buddy with dudes like Jeremy. We haven't heard anything from him in a while, so who knows.

44 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Ben seemed to get into a social injustice-conscious stripe of evangelism while Flame was his rap mentor(??) but I wonder if he's drifted away from it after becoming more buddy-buddy with dudes like Jeremy. We haven't heard anything from him in a while, so who knows.

I wouldn't be surprised if the JB told him to stfu or have the same fate as Derek and either he or jessa but the break on 

4 hours ago, DillyDally said:

All this makes me wish Ben was more active on social media or we'd learn some details of what he's currently doing workwise. I still have hope he'll turn out to be the most reasonable and least fundie of the Duggar SILs.

His bestie Jeremy and his dad signed it so I wouldn’t get those hopes up too high. 

2 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

His bestie Jeremy and his dad signed it so I wouldn’t get those hopes up too high. 

On the other hand, the fact that two people he's close to have signed it makes it more likely that he knows about it and has chosen not to sign it rather than simply being unaware of it. That wouldn't necessarily mean he disagreed with it, but it's still mildly interesting.

18 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

On the other hand, the fact that two people he's close to have signed it makes it more likely that he knows about it and has chosen not to sign it rather than simply being unaware of it. That wouldn't necessarily mean he disagreed with it, but it's still mildly interesting.

That’s true. I also really hope someone, anyone will step away from fundiedom. And it would be great if it was Ben and Jessa because he seems like a decent dad and she has snark enough to be a regular FJ-member. 

Cute kid! Enjoying her few months of nonverbal peace before she has to start listening to her parents telling her that God put her on earth to "fulfill distinct roles" and "be submissive to her husband in all things lawful."

51 minutes ago, Oh_Dear! said:

And to distract people from hubs’ douchebaggery, Jing posts cute pics for Lissy

Cute, but her father is an asshole. Cute Felicity can't cover up her father's ugly beliefs.

6 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

That’s true. I also really hope someone, anyone will step away from fundiedom. And it would be great if it was Ben and Jessa because he seems like a decent dad and she has snark enough to be a regular FJ-member. 

I don't really consider this letter that fundie because I know hundreds of average people that would sign it. I think most of the people who voted for Trump would...that's what is annoying about Jeremy and people like Bates/Duggars. Friendly, good looking, average enough but they don't consider 'gay' or 'racism' to be a real thing. Ben did show the most promise in thinking outside the conservative box in that arena, but what a big box he'd have to climb out of being a dagger family member in Arkansas

I've been reading around to see what other Christians (non-signers) think of the statement on social justice, and here is an interesting one which really criticises them for not defining their terms and suggests the purpose of the document was primarily to draw tribalist lines. It also criticises them on the substance.

https://americanvision.org/16796/response-to-the-statement-on-social-justice-and-the-gospel

10 hours ago, 3SecondSideHugger said:

I don't really consider this letter that fundie because I know hundreds of average people that would sign it. I think most of the people who voted for Trump would...that's what is annoying about Jeremy and people like Bates/Duggars. Friendly, good looking, average enough but they don't consider 'gay' or 'racism' to be a real thing. Ben did show the most promise in thinking outside the conservative box in that arena, but what a big box he'd have to climb out of being a dagger family member in Arkansas

Yes. People who agree with this are everywhere. They work with you, do your hair, deliver your mail, hook up your cable, read your meters, fix your car, teach your kids, ring up your groceries, take care of you at the hospital or clinic, etc...

And many of them don't even attend church. 

As for Ben, the implications made here that he can't possibly disagree with anyone close to him are so absurd. Do you all agree with every family member, every in-law and every friend on absolutely every issue? If so, frankly, you're leading some kind of weird Twilight Zone life. I don't know if Ben disagrees with any of that letter or all of it or none of it. But thinking he can't possibly disagree because of what people around him profess is just weird. 

I keep reading it, pausing, shaking my head, taking a break and trying again since it's being discussed in our friend group. It's also a strong stance for a pastor in the blue part of Texas. Jeremy, we have mutual friends who now carry their passports at all times just in case systemic racism rears it's very real, very scary face into their lives.

That site reads like they tried to have conversations in euphemisms to not say hateful words and someone was really attached to the thesaurus app on their phone. 

So is his new society a way to teach more people the right recipe for word salad and deterministic dressing? 

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

Yes. People who agree with this are everywhere. They work with you, do your hair, deliver your mail, hook up your cable, read your meters, fix your car, teach your kids, ring up your groceries, take care of you at the hospital or clinic, etc...

And many of them don't even attend church. 

As for Ben, the implications made here that he can't possibly disagree with anyone close to him are so absurd. Do you all agree with every family member, every in-law and every friend on absolutely every issue? If so, frankly, you're leading some kind of weird Twilight Zone life. I don't know if Ben disagrees with any of that letter or all of it or none of it. But thinking he can't possibly disagree because of what people around him profess is just weird. 

I don’t really understand where you got that implication from? We all note that Ben has shown some intellectual promise, but the pressure of being part of that family would be enormous.

Have you ever witnessed a liberal person/family in a small town in the south? A gay person? They’re “the weird ones” and generally viewed as different from everyone else. Sure, people in the family may disagree or think differently, but if they were to voice that opinion, how differently would they be treated? 

This letter is so hurtful and harmful for any progression of human rights. I’m in a suburb of a major city known for being gay-friendly and I still see most coworkers won’t refer to a gay couple as married. I see daily comments made in the gest of “of course they do that because they’re __ race”. 

My post is a bit scattered, but my point is I’m glad to see some family members show a spark of thinking differently. Yet, how could they act on that without repercussions? Being on tv makes that pressure even worse, in my opinion. Maybe in a few years the show will fade away and we’ll see some evidence divergent thinking...

On 9/6/2018 at 7:37 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

You know--regarding smearing poo on the walls, can I just tell you that this is a real thing?  I work at a public building and we have had several episode of poo-smearing in the bathroom stalls.  Always the women's bathroom, FTR.  I think that it is an adult who does it, not a kid.  It is done deliberately and artfully.  We call this person "Poo-casso" by the way.

Fecal smearing, in children, is a sign of previous abuse.  I am currently dealing with a pre-teen foster child doing this.  It stems from their feeling of having no control over their lives.  Poop is something they can control.  

Knowing that doesn't make it any less gross to deal with, though.  *sigh*

Pants! That’s a relief!  They must be moving away from Fundiedumb and he will be a wonderful dad if she is wearing pants.  

NOT.

It’s not working anymore Jeremy. Jigs up brah

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

But PANTS!!! lol

Is this the fundie version of, “BUT HER EMAILS!!!!” :pb_lol:

The whole "race doesn't exist so neither can racism" is such a cop out on the whole statement. I mean I guess (I guess) I can believe their weird belief that race doesn't exist in their weird context.... but.... that doesn't get rid of the fact that people always have been and always will be downright awful or isolationist towards the "other", be it other religion, skin color, sexuality, etc. Sure, they can believe that no races exist, whatever, but that doesn't mean no one out there isn't going to be a dick. I mean, that's extremely naive.

14 minutes ago, CatholicLite said:

The whole "race doesn't exist so neither can racism" is such a cop out on the whole statement. I mean I guess (I guess) I can believe their weird belief that race doesn't exist in their weird context.... but.... that doesn't get rid of the fact that people always have been and always will be downright awful or isolationist towards the "other", be it other religion, skin color, sexuality, etc. Sure, they can believe that no races exist, whatever, but that doesn't mean no one out there isn't going to be a dick. I mean, that's extremely naive.

In a biological sense it's true that race doesn't exist; it's a social construct. But unfortunately people still really discriminate based on social constructs.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived