IGNORED

Maxwell 23: Backyard Breeding

VaSportsMom

On 8/9/2018 at 8:59 PM, keepercjr said:

Looking at twitter again I see I missed that Joseph went to Orlando and NYC late last year too.  I also see the tweet mentioned above about wanting music at a reasonable volume to facilitate networking.  If they are in the same room as loud sinful music is ok with Stevie?  Or do they have special music filters in their ears?

Has Joseph now heard the words to “Row, Row, Row Your Boat?”

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Coconutwater said:

Two times a day equaling a total of 10 times is not an intense schedule. She has no idea what a crazy and intense summer is. Try working 60+ hours a week, balancing a social life, school, and bills and then talk to me Sarah. Even just a 40 hour work week working for someone that’s not family...

Right? And here we FJites were, all well-meaning and hoping for her to get a real job and her own place and independence and an intense workweek week after week and only herself to dust the ceiling fans and on one to hand pregnant Ellie off to... what naive schmucks we sounded like. I’m sure the Maxes had some uproarious laughs in the Uber vans to the airport fir all the leisure trips they took while we were discussing.

I am a rescue-only dog owner and have never had any of them bred. And I’m probably into case-overstatement, here, but I’ve been pregnant and the first time, I craved friends & family around me who would reassure me, coddle me a little, etc.

I’m sure for a canine mom like Ellie, it’s not anywhere near that anxious, but still, if PS is gonna make bank off the dog, I’d think she could hang around til the pups are here at least, maybe weaned.

Tsk, tsk, when a “working” “mother” chooses to take time away from a young female doing her biological best to populate the world with Puppies For Stevovah (& Terifying)!

Speaking of Terifying & her gawdlike hubby - wanna bet that when a buyer leaves the Maxship with puppy in crate, s/he will also be toting a $1 million bill with information about where they’ll go when they die?

4 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

I hope Mother Nature (God?) shows them what-for and all the puppies are are golden color (instead of this very light color she seems to think she’s getting). 

I am a far worse person for hoping that half the litter more closely resembles some neighbor's intact mutt.

I found the page of the camp she spoke at. They have a photo, I believe unintentionally, of a Hasidic Jew on the homepage lol.

Calvary Horse Camp in John Day, OR. 

I'm guessing the predictor doesn't take into account Steveovah's tantrums and unwillingness to marry his daughters.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Have you guys seen this? Duggar Data now has a predictor for the Maxwells! https://duggardata.tumblr.com/post/176933670727/meet-the-maxwell-family

Part 1 of 5. I'm geeking out here. I need parts 2-5 NOW! :pb_lol:

Well, Rufus bless Duggar Data.  I can't wait either.

Now can someone ask Duggar Data please to use the predictor for the probabilities of failed courtships.  The Duggars have one, the Bateseseses have two,  and the Maxwells have two (that we know about.)  It will skew her results a bit but I really think they should be included.

18 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, Rufus bless Duggar Data.  I can't wait either.

Now can someone ask Duggar Data please to use the predictor for the probabilities of failed courtships.  The Duggars have one, the Bateseseses have two,  and the Maxwells have two (that we know about.)  It will skew her results a bit but I really think they should be included.

I've thought of this too. I was actually going to ask her about it, until I realized that there may just not be enough data, since she calculates data separately for each family. If she could combine the data from the Duggars, Bateses, and Maxwells on failed courtships/engagements, though, I think that would be really interesting. The only sticking point I can think of is that there may have been failed courtships that were never announced or discovered. 

Well I decided to come to the Maxhell thread to check if the family has made it to Colorado for another round of 14er death marches and lo and behold, I see Sarah has gotten into breeding Ellie among other things, like being so busy that she needs a vacation in CO.

I don't have dogs and never have dealt with breeders so can't speak from my own experience but I really wonder if Sarah knows what she is doing.  For no other reasons that well, she's part of the Maxwells and they have no clue about how things work in real life. 

For some oddball reason, I am kind of disappointed that she bred Ellie.  Sure, it's her business and all, but we were all under the impression that Ellie would be a companion for her but turns out it's a means for $$$.

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

I am a far worse person for hoping that half the litter more closely resembles some neighbor's intact mutt.

This would be hilarious.  Does this make me a bad person too?   

I think we should stay tuned to Sarah's site this coming fall and see what updates she posts.   Like to see how she would spin an "oops, didn't turn out as we expected" post.

7 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I've thought of this too. I was actually going to ask her about it, until I realized that there may just not be enough data, since she calculates data separately for each family. If she could combine the data from the Duggars, Bateses, and Maxwells on failed courtships/engagements, though, I think that would be really interesting. The only sticking point I can think of is that there may have been failed courtships that were never announced or discovered. 

Yes, and a lot of failed courtships probably fly under the radar.  OTOH, she's already working with tiny samples, and the fact that out of 6 (total) Maxwell courtships 2 of them failed is quite significant.

Also her ages at first courtship for Chris and Joe are wrong (I'd have to check the Wayback machine for exact dates).  Chris Maxwell first courted Sara Smith closer to age 27 but she has it at 31.7.  It throws off the mean ages.

I feel rather unkind now because I'm sure those failed courtships were painful, but I like to gather info on why the courtship model is so fucked up.

25 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

I don't have dogs and never have dealt with breeders so can't speak from my own experience but I really wonder if Sarah knows what she is doing.  For no other reasons that well, she's part of the Maxwells and they have no clue about how things work in real life. 

For some oddball reason, I am kind of disappointed that she bred Ellie.  Sure, it's her business and all, but we were all under the impression that Ellie would be a companion for her but turns out it's a means for $$$.

Well, as a person who does have dogs, and has researched all the reasons not to breed them, I can assure you that Sarah Maxwell does not know what she is doing.

She is also not necessarily going to make any money.  Most reputable and responsible breeders do it for the betterment of the breed not for the money.  They often just break even.  Sarah is in over her head, but she loves Ellie so she had better take good care of her.  Of course most backyard breeders don't care about mama dog's health but Sarah probably does.

So, off the top of my head:

•  stud fee ($2K) or pick of the litter for the owner of the exotic Polish sire
  • vet care for Ellie before and possibly during delivery
  • possible emergency caesarian for Ellie
  • extra food and nutritional supplements for Ellie
  • initial shots and worming for pups
  • additional food for pups while weaning
  • she needs to keep the pups with Ellie for 8 weeks (minimally) 10 is better

Average number in litter is probably about 8.  Perhaps all the people who have put down deposit have specified female, and Ellie produces 6 boys and a female runt who dies at birth.

Sarah is asking for far too much money for these backyard breeder pups anyway.  Neither Ellie nor the sire seem to have any championship titles, "English Creams" are not rare, they don't breed true, and she's scamming potential buyers because several of the litter could be toffee or caramel colored.

Yep, she could well be returning all the deposits and trying to sell the litter in the Walmart parking lot for $500 a pup.  If she can get rid of them for that and doesn't just dump them at a shelter.

35 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Also her ages at first courtship for Chris and Joe are wrong (I'd have to check the Wayback machine for exact dates).  Chris Maxwell first courted Sara Smith closer to age 27 but she has it at 31.7.  It throws off the mean ages.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she only uses successful courtships when calculating age at courtship. I'm not sure why. Maybe because of the potentially unknown past failed courtships issue? It does end up skewing the average age higher. Probably not by a lot, but still. I guess you could look at it not simply as 'age at courtship' but 'age at beginning of relationship that will ultimately lead to marriage'. 

@Palimpsestthanks for clarifying with the breeding information and what it really entails.  Confirms what I suspected regarding Sarah not knowing what she is doing.

18 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Yep, she could well be returning all the deposits and trying to sell the litter in the Walmart parking lot for $500 a pup.  If she can get rid of them for that and doesn't just dump them at a shelter.

This is what I am a bit worried about.   That Ellie doesn't produce, well, what is promised and Sarah has to refund money plus she has several pups on her hands. 

I am guessing if Sarah ends up with extra pups, pressure will be put on her married brothers to take one. 

I wouldn't be surprised if any extra pups do go to her brothers to adopt.  But not before being completely surprised that things didn't work out as she thought.

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Is Cathy Jo close to Sarah’s age? Is she like Sarah and all her younger male siblings are married and she’s stuck at home as a perpetual SAHD

I believe Cathy Jo is Jon-Marie's sister.

I don't know whether she's younger or older than her brother, but he is definitely married, and from the pictures, it appears she is not.

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

I believe Cathy Jo is Jon-Marie's sister.

I don't know whether she's younger or older than her brother, but he is definitely married, and from the pictures, it appears she is not.

Perhaps Sarah is vetting Cathy Jo for Jesse? You know, making sure she's totally on board with being assimilated into the Maxwell Borg. . .

30 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Perhaps Sarah is vetting Cathy Jo for Jesse? You know, making sure she's totally on board with being assimilated into the Maxwell Borg. . .

I think she and CJ are close because they are in the same sad boat. 

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, as a person who does have dogs, and has researched all the reasons not to breed them, I can assure you that Sarah Maxwell does not know what she is doing.

She is also not necessarily going to make any money.  Most reputable and responsible breeders do it for the betterment of the breed not for the money.  They often just break even.  Sarah is in over her head, but she loves Ellie so she had better take good care of her.  Of course most backyard breeders don't care about mama dog's health but Sarah probably does.

So, off the top of my head:

•  stud fee ($2K) or pick of the litter for the owner of the exotic Polish sire
  • vet care for Ellie before and possibly during delivery
  • possible emergency caesarian for Ellie
  • extra food and nutritional supplements for Ellie
  • initial shots and worming for pups
  • additional food for pups while weaning
  • she needs to keep the pups with Ellie for 8 weeks (minimally) 10 is better

Average number in litter is probably about 8.  Perhaps all the people who have put down deposit have specified female, and Ellie produces 6 boys and a female runt who dies at birth.

Sarah is asking for far too much money for these backyard breeder pups anyway.  Neither Ellie nor the sire seem to have any championship titles, "English Creams" are not rare, they don't breed true, and she's scamming potential buyers because several of the litter could be toffee or caramel colored.

Here’s a question — are they shlepping pregnant Ellie along to CO? Aurgh!, if so!!!

As a friend once said to a whiny SAHM former colleague with a rich husband, “Try doing it with a full time job, a part time job, and no husband.”

She has time to read the comments, but is too busy to reply? She always just throws simple, general cookie cutter replies, this just makes her seem like she struggles a ton. And what could she possibly have to say that is remotely relevant to children in the foster system? At least she was out of Maxhell for a bit. I just hope her ignorance didn’t radiate in her devotionals, however I am afraid it would if she was speaking twice a day. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived