IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

So I grew up very Midwestern and didn't really learn to cook with a lot of various spices until I got married and moved southwest. With Michelle growing up in Ohio and the fact that they live in Arkansas, I think I can understand the lack of seasonings/spices. It's not that they can't cook, but they cook simple/more bland foods. I also imagine the 90s didn't help things with casserole cookbooks or, I think it was called Gooseberry cookbooks?

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

Also, has anyone made the leap from crock pot to Instant Pot? Mine just arrived fresh from a Prime Day impulse buy. I'm staring at the box across the room while I google Instant Pot explosion disasters.

What to do!? We are vegetarian, so I am wondering if I can even use this thing. Help. 

There are lots of vegetarian/vegan recipes for the instant pot. I love mine. 

Do you think there's any chance that the Dillards could be making enough from youtube and their website to support them while Derick's in school? Most of their youtube videos only get about 1k in views, but some of them, mostly more Duggar related ones, are getting 10-20k, and obviously the carseat stroller one is still up at 148k. I just assumed no but.... there are a lot of videos. Plus a little financial help from their parents (Derick does odd jobs for Jim Bob when they get low on cash? They move in with Cathy so she can do the parenting Derick isn't interested in?) Does anyone know more about how much they might be making?

7 minutes ago, wendy-sparkles said:

Do you think there's any chance that the Dillards could be making enough from youtube and their website to support them while Derick's in school? Most of their youtube videos only get about 1k in views, but some of them, mostly more Duggar related ones, are getting 10-20k, and obviously the carseat stroller one is still up at 148k. I just assumed no but.... there are a lot of videos. Plus a little financial help from their parents (Derick does odd jobs for Jim Bob when they get low on cash? They move in with Cathy so she can do the parenting Derick isn't interested in?) Does anyone know more about how much they might be making?

I'm not positive but I believe I heard that a channel has to have 10,000 subscribers to be allowed  to be monetized now.  the Duggar's don't have 2000 yet. 

8 minutes ago, wendy-sparkles said:

Do you think there's any chance that the Dillards could be making enough from youtube and their website to support them while Derick's in school?

Hell no.

57 minutes ago, Augustus said:

The chest clip is too low and but the legs can be sticking out like that. It is safest to be rear facing and therefore should be rear facing for as long as your car seat allows for their head height. However I cannot say if his head is up too high in that car seat. 

I can’t tell either. I know our daughter’s seat had a weight and height limit - I think 25 pounds and 32 inches? I think we switched her to a bigger Graco convertible seat that does rear facing, forward facing, and booster seating when she was between 10 and 11 months old because she was quickly outgrowing the original seat (she’s gigantic. Lol!) That seat should last until she’s around 110 pounds or something. 

There are definitely some great options out there for convertible extended rear facing seats though. If Sam is too big for that seat then there’s absolutely no valid excuse for continuing to use it. 

And yes, the clip is definitely too low. I’d hope that maybe they just moved it lower to make him more comfortable as he slept and they moved it back up once he was in the car, but Duggars aren’t really known for their stellar car seat track records.

8 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Duggars aren’t really known for their stellar car seat track records.

Waiting to see a video of Jill's car-seat-in-a-stroller-IN-THE-CAR hack. Maybe they will open the sunroof so the stroller handles can go through the roof.

Every time she says "Papa", all the hair on the back on my neck stands up. 

Regarding the story time video:  Israel should have gotten to pick out the book.  He should be snuggled up with his daddy, and Sam should be playing around and getting up and down at will.  He is still listening and learning to enjoy a story too.  But Israel really wanted him to read something he liked and spend that time with his dad, but nope, no more books.  Just Jesus!  Too bad Israel.  Reading to my now grown up little boy was one of my favorite things.

And I prefer my potatoes cut up when I make roast.  Buuuut, who cares!!

1 hour ago, Ms. Squishels said:

Regarding the story time video:  Israel should have gotten to pick out the book.  He should be snuggled up with his daddy, and Sam should be playing around and getting up and down at will.  He is still listening and learning to enjoy a story too.  But Israel really wanted him to read something he liked and spend that time with his dad, but nope, no more books.  Just Jesus!  Too bad Israel.  Reading to my now grown up little boy was one of my favorite things.

Izzy really seems to be getting the short end of the stick first the reading video and now Derick is scolding him for distract Sam in the sam walking video. honestly I wanted to reach through the screen shake Derick and say who and the fuck cares if he's distracting the baby. Sam is having Fun and pay some attention to your oldest child dumbass. 

9 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

I can’t tell if they’re dark like that from being dirty, being cooked, or being old and discolored/moldy. Option 1 seems unlikely because babycarrots usually come pre-washed. Option 2 means that this mess is aready done cooking in that photo and the potatoes are still whole which is insane to me. Option 3 is disgusting. None are good! 

Late thought:  the color of the carrots are stained by the beef bullion cubes, aka: the only damn seasoning.  Even if you don't want to eat the onion and celery (that I know as a staple of potroast) put it in for flavor.  Just bullion?  Ew.  Salt and harsh but bland flavor.  Spices and fresh herbs are you friends!  If this working mom can church it up a bit, so can "professional homemaker",  Jill.  And, the hot french bread for dipping.  A salad to balance it all out and aid in digestion from such a heavy meal.  C'mon, have some fun! Life is too short for Jill's recipe. 

You can buy small Yukon gold and red potatoes or just buy fingerlings. I know both Harps and Walmart in Fayetteville sell them. I doubt at that size they're cooked through. The carrots look gross. 

Add me to the list who just want to smack Dwreck. And I know it's nearly taboo to wish infertility on anyone but if this is how Dwreck treats the 2 he already has, then I absolutely wouldn't want to see them have more. Indifference and such can be just as harmful as other forms of abuse. 

1 hour ago, Ms. Squishels said:

I do!  More than expected.  Than again, I never saw whole potatoes in a crockpot like that.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I mean, we all have lazy crap recipes (I'd consider meat+bouillon cubes+unwashed/unchopped potato and carrot in that category).  My mom makes a delicious but horrific casserole based on Kraft Dinner and condensed soup.  But my mom doesn't post this shit as a "teachable moment" on social media.  

Jill once again comes across as social media illiterate.   Though I was pleasantly surprised that she spelled "bouillon" correctly.  

8 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I'm making pot roast tomorrow. I use whole carrots, washed but not peeled and cut into chunks, and an onion or two, quartered. I brown those on high heat with olive oil and a pat of butter, then remove and sear a salted and peppered roast on all sides. Then de-glaze the pan with beef stock and a swig of wine. Add all of that with a few sprigs of rosemary to a roasting pan (or slow cooker if I get up early enough) and cook. I always serve with mashed potatoes and gravy. And that's my unsolicited recipe for a roast.  ; )

Your comment about spices cracked me up. I like to cook a lot, and have loads of spices. Well this week i was making a banana bread, and grabbed the cinnamon and measured and dumped it in with the sugar. Except it was cumin. : /  Thank Rufus I smelled the cumin right away, or that would've been a very different tasting bread. 

I've totally done that with cinnamon and cumin! A few times.  Luckily,  cumin is pungent so, I didn't ruin the french toast!  Whew!

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Waiting to see a video of Jill's car-seat-in-a-stroller-IN-THE-CAR hack. Maybe they will open the sunroof so the stroller handles can go through the roof.

SUPER COOL BABY HACK!!!!111!!!!: use bungee cords to strap your baby's carseat to the roof of the car! Now you have more seat space for your godly quiver and don't need to upgrade to a car with more seats until run out of carseat space on the roof!!!1!!! What a GREAT way to live debt-free and save money!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I wonder how long they were working with Sam to get that video. Poor Izzy is just begging for attention from either of his parents. 

I don't understand why they don't involve him! They just brush him aside when they could be saying, 'wow, Izzy, did you ever see Sam do that before?! he's walking on his own! Let's see if he can do it again!' Israel is a really tuned-in big brother, he could respond to that. All these videos, I see Izzy clearly stating his wants and sometimes needs, which are so often to do with having a nice time with his parents, and it's like they just don't see it. I hope it's not purposeful, and it's just down to their being busy and distracted, but he's such a genuinely loving, friendly kid and it's so sad to see him constantly knocked back.

Jill and Derick are not interesting enough or media savy to make money on YouTube. Any youtubers I follow have personality and know what should and shouldn't be online. Jessa probably could make some money online if she chose to because she posts good videos of her son's. 

Random thoughts:

I vow not to watch their videos anymore  because they depress and make me angry at the same time. Enjoy your children instead of ignoring/scolding/filming your children. I will rely on the FJ descriptions of said videos instead.

Wannabe would it kill you to read with expression? In the classrooms I teach or co-teach in we always read with expression to our middle school students. 

Sad recipe, not note worthy enough to share in my opinion. Also an onion would make it better Jill, trust me on that.  And this recipe criticism is coming from someone who has used Jessa's hamburger bake recipe many times (easy make, bake, and take for lunches). Although to be fair Jesse used and onion and seasoning. 

Maybe her kids are really picky and that's why she only flavors her meat with boullion cubes?  Honestly, I don't use herbs or spices with a pot roast either, that's the kind of food I want pretty plain, but I at least use onion and celery to flavor it.  But I feel like, if her family likes it that way then who am I to judge?  She should cook to please them, not me.  But I don't know why you would put that kind of "recipe" on a website.

As a lawyer, all I have to say on the law school thing is that I think he can do it.  I'm sure he'd graduate toward the bottom of his class.  He certainly won't be able to get a job at a big firm or in house at a large corporation, but he wouldn't be able to survive that workload anyway.  But working as a lawyer in a small firm in northwest Arkansas?  I think it's doable.  He won't make a lot of money but he can probably scrape by, and he'll be able to say he's a lawyer, so no one can ever make fun of him on Twitter again!  Of course there's always the character and fitness part of being admitted to the bar and the Google won't be kind to him there, but maybe in Arkansas his social media rants won't be held against him?

9 hours ago, Beermeet said:

I've totally done that with cinnamon and cumin! A few times.  Luckily,  cumin is pungent so, I didn't ruin the french toast!  Whew!

Haha, I did the same thing, but it was garlic salt instead of cinnamon in muffins. (I was distracted and they were in containers that were exactly the same except for the different names).  I did not catch it, though, my poor brother did. We threw them out of the birds and even the birds were like “no.”

Sam has the first steps down, soon he shall be running far far away from his parents! #FreeSam #FreeIzzy

They could have involved Izzy by giving him the ball and letting Sam walk up to his big brother.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived