IGNORED

Jinjer 41: Felicity Nicole 8 lb 3 oz

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

They could F-theme with Faith, Francesca/Frank, Fabian, Forrest, etc.....

Fertility, Fecundity, Fellatio, Fornication, Flatulence, and Frottage ...

Sorry.  I'm heading for the Prayer Closet now.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Felicity is the name of my Girl Guide unit's mascot - Felicity the Flamingo.  I'm going to have to get her a little coffee now as homage to Jinger.  

33 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

What would have been popular middle names in the US in the 90s and 00s? 

I assume Rose/Grace/Faith/Mae came later? 

The Rose middle name trend definitely started by the 90s, I'm a 90s baby and went to high school with a ton of Madeline Rose, Emily Rose etcs. I also know a ton of people with the middle names Elizabeth, Marie, and Ann. I get how they become so common, they all pair nicely with a lot of names! Except for Ann, sometimes that one surprises me- it's a pretty name with a spunky nickname and great literary namesake ( with an E! :)) but I see it lots of times as a middle to a name that ends in -a which always have a bit of a strange flow to me/ sounds like a compound name- no offense to anyone who named their child this way (names are subjective!), it's how my mom's name is and she really doesn't like it, so I always notice it now. Her name is Julia Ann, and she always says her parents should have just called her Julianne if they liked that combo. To add insult to injury her younger sister's middle name is... Julianne, her mom insists it's totally different :pb_lol:

28 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I was early 90s and had tons of sarahs, ashleys, Brittanys, katies, megans, beccas/beckys with various spellings. There were also two guys in my grade named Billy Johnson, which was quite confusing. Jessica was fairly common.

1 hour ago, VGL said:

I had a history class in grade 12 where there were 4 guys named Jason.  There were 16 students total in the class so 25% of the class was named Jason.

To tell them apart, the teacher addressed them as Jay, Jay Last Name, Jason and MrLastName.

Ha. My second to last year teaching preschool, in a class of 11 kids, 3 were named Isabella. And naturally, two of them had the same last initial. They became Isabella, Bella, and Isa (Isa's parents told me that was her nickname at home and encouraged me to use it.) There were at least two other Isabellas in the preschool. Sophia and Emma were also common.

In naming our kids my husband tended to gravitate toward top 10 names and I always vetoed them for that reason! Part of the reason why ny second daughter didn't have a name until after we met her.

19 minutes ago, potato said:

I was born in the mid-90s and I feel like the most popular middle names among my classmates were Marie, Elizabeth, and Lynn.  

Mid-80s here.  Same.

5 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I was early 90s and had tons of sarahs, ashleys, Brittanys, katies, megans, beccas/beckys with various spellings. There were also two guys in my grade named Billy Johnson, which was quite confusing. Jessica was fairly common.

Oh, lord, the Katies were enough to populate their own country my last few years of FT teaching and they would have been 90s babies. 

K's were huge for girls in this area at least for that period--in addition to all the Katies and the occasional Katherine, there were a lot of Karas, Kaylas, Kylies, and even some Kaseys, Kristins and Kirstens. With Megans sprinkled in like Hunters are sprinkled among the -adens for boys now. 

My nephew is a 90s baby and his name was number one for much of that decade and the next. And his half-sister is a Megan. My brother would have preferred something less common but when he pushed the mother toward less common, she gravitated straight to long and awkward or downright weird. 

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

If we’re lucky enough to have another kid then they’ll be the odd cousin out on my side because we didn’t pick first names starting with that letter. :pb_lol:

That’s how it is in my family. My middle sister had a girl and named her an S name. My oldest sister had twins and gave them both A names. Middle sister had another baby and gave her an A name that she liked. So now my first niece is the odd one out lol 

Anyway, I love the name. This is the second time the Duggars have picked a name off of my baby name list (first one being Meredith)

it's fun to hear everyone's first associations with a name- while Felicity the American Girl is my first thought, my favorite Felicity is from a YA fantasy/historical fiction series, the Gemma Doyle Trilogy. Anyone else here who used to love those books? I doubt Felicity Vuolo will be able to read them because they feature the supernatural and a lot of other stuff her parents probably wouldn't approve, but she's a great character. Plus, in true pissing off the fundies fashion, at the end of the series:

Spoiler

Felicity moves to Paris to wear pants and date girls, and (presumably) lives happily ever after! Highly reassuring to young bi me in middle school. 

I had kids with the same first name as me in school, but they were all boys.

Thanks, Mum and Dad.

16 minutes ago, pandora said:

it's fun to hear everyone's first associations with a name- while Felicity the American Girl is my first thought, my favorite Felicity is from a YA fantasy/historical fiction series, the Gemma Doyle Trilogy. Anyone else here who used to love those books? I doubt Felicity Vuolo will be able to read them because they feature the supernatural and a lot of other stuff her parents probably wouldn't approve, but she's a great character. Plus, in true pissing off the fundies fashion, at the end of the series:

Hide contents

Felicity moves to Paris to wear pants and date girls, and (presumably) lives happily ever after! Highly reassuring to young bi me in middle school. 

I can't believe I didn't think of this! I loved those books (the first two more than the third, but like you I enjoyed where the girls ended up).

4 hours ago, YourFriendlyLocalHeathen said:

Jinger having her baby finally pushed me to come out of lurking (I've been lurking for years as well lol). I was going to use the suggested "Free Felicity" as my name, but I was beat to it :pb_lol: Ah well. 

As for Jinger having her baby, I'm glad it looks like she gave birth in an actual facility. Hopefully that means adequate care throughout the whole pregnancy. Hopefully they give her a nice childhood with the option (and support) to choose whatever makes her happy later in life. 

I finally created an account in the past couple of weeks after lurking for awhile. I wish I would’ve held out for the Free Felicity suggestion! I loved that last night.

Growing up there were tons of Jennifers, Jessicas, Katies, Mollys, Megans, Briannas, Brandys, Lisas Amys, Joeys, Kevins, Justins, Brians, Ryans. Tons of middle names being Anns, Lynns, Sues, Maries Roses and Lees.  

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

According to Derick, the -el endings are not a theme, just a coincidence. I think Josh and Anna and Jessa and Ben are the only couples who have said they’re using a theme (so far).

Noo, I want to see a little Hansel and Mehitabel!

7 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Any chance they will go for an F theme? I don’t really see them doing it, but it did occur to me that F is the sixth letter of the alphabet and Jinger is Duggar child #6.

Anyway, I’m having the hardest time thinking of F names. Frederick. Felix (probably too close to Felicity). Frank/Franklin/Francis/Frances. What else?

Famy.  

Like many here, I first thought of the American Girl doll. I didn't particularly like the name Felicity at first, but reading this thread made it grow on me lol. I agree that it's classic and unique without being weird or obnoxious.  And it has a good meaning, which is something I've always been interested in.

I always thought naming a baby to honor a family memeber was extremely common, and I'm from the mid-Atlantic area. My family has a habit of recycling names, to the point that my husband jokes that he can just guess a random name like Uncle Jim and has a 50/50 chance of being right. I don't see anything wrong with that, especially if it's a classic name that has a lot of potential nicknames. In fact, we plan on naming our first son after my father (who has a well known name like John) but giving him a nickname that's now seen as it's own name but was once only a nickname (like Jack). The middle name will be after my husband's favorite uncle who recently died. I don't see it as a fundie thing at all, just a way to keep up family traditions and honor loved ones. 

I'm not a fan of super gendered baby clothes in general. If you like it that's fine, and I'm sure if I have a daughter I'll put her in something pink and frilly from time to time. What I have a problem with is the trend to only have gendered baby clothes. I went to Carter's recently and was depressed by it: the girls section was all pink and bows and "daddy's princess" while the boys' section was "little explorer" "little adventurer" and "future scientist." I just think it sends such a terrible and outdated message to children from birth about what's expected of them because of the genitals they were randomly assigned. 

Add Freya to the list for sibs. I know of two born recently. As for family names, in our family the first/only girl in each family grouping over several generations share the same, fairly common name. It was given to me as my middle name.

3 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

90s baby here. Almost everyone had Rose, Marie, or Nicole. I have Faith, and only know one other person my age with that middle name. 

12 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

90s baby here. Almost everyone had Rose, Marie, or Nicole. I have Faith, and only know one other person my age with that middle name. 

1995 baby here. You nailed my first and middle names! My parents sure had a lot of imagination :tw_tongue: My first name is a feminine version of the family name. Baby brother was named after dad's best friend and has dad's first name as his middle name.

I really like the name Felicity. My first thought was of the American Girl character; 9 year old Roadkill was horse crazy (and still is) and loved Felicity for that reason. 

I don't love the name but it's generic and pretty enough. Glad as previous posters have pointed out that it looks like a hospital/birthing centre too. 

80's baby here and there were minimum 5 each Sarah, Rebecca, Charlotte, C/Katherine in my year at upper crusty British boarding school. Also several Jessica, Harriet, Rosie. 

52 minutes ago, MathQueen said:

Add Freya to the list for sibs. I know of two born recently. As for family names, in our family the first/only girl in each family grouping over several generations share the same, fairly common name. It was given to me as my middle name.

I love the name Freya. No more babies for us, but it was on my list with our last baby. We decided on a different name.

80's baby too.  So many girls with names ending in -y sounds.  Ashley, Kelly, Brittany, Katie, Emily, Stephanie.  Popular middle names- Rose, Marie, Elizabeth, Ann. There were also a lot of girls with Kaitlin or Jessica as first names.  I have one of the popular -y first names, but a less common middle name.  

My 3 names are old women names and I was born in the 80s. I would have killed to be an Ashley or a Laura. At least I would get a damned keychain! 

3 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

GryffindorDisappointment's middle name is Rose, but it wasn't because it was tryndie at the time - it was because I had that name chosen as a middle name for my "future daughter" from the time I learned that Laura Ingalls Wilder named her daughter Rose. :)

Her first name, now, is incredibly tryndie (and spelled oddly, but she loves its spelling) - but when she was born, I knew no other children with that name. However, there were three Madelyn/Madelin/Madelaine/Madalyns* in her graduating class.

*Not her real name, but it was in the running. It got vetoed when we looked at her. lol

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived