IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 5; Pregnant, but Still Waiting to Read about the Honeymoon

Coconut Flan

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

The wedding dress in the first picture is practically a turtleneck.

High necklines are actually really in right now! But they are mostly lace from what I’ve seen. Fundies can really take advantage of the current wedding dress trends in 2018. If I see an altered fundie gown I’ll be annoyed. There are plenty of long sleeved high necked gowns to choose from. 

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

High necklines are actually really in right now! But they are mostly lace from what I’ve seen. Fundies can really take advantage of the current wedding dress trends in 2018. If I see an altered fundie gown I’ll be annoyed. There are plenty of long sleeved high necked gowns to choose from. 

Kate Middleton was a gift to fundies everywhere because she (IMO and from what I can tell/observe over the past decade) really catalyzed the resurgence of sleeved wedding dresses. Well, her and rich Mormons. 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Kate Middleton was a gift to fundies everywhere because she (IMO and from what I can tell/observe over the past decade) really catalyzed the resurgence of sleeved wedding dresses. Well, her and rich Mormons. 

I looked and looked and looked for a sleeved wedding dress 9 years ago. I got so damn frustrated. Everything was strapless and I wanted long sleeves but no wedding dress makers made them! Even the modest bridal places only made dresses with short sleeves or cap sleeves. I had to settle for a dress with a bolero with 3/4 bell sleeves. Of course bell sleeves are all the rage now 9 years later. At the time though, my dress looked a bit out of style because it was nothing like typical wedding dresses. I had a feeling I was ahead of the fashion and I was right. I wasn’t happy with my dress because what I wanted wasn’t available. I was so pissed when Kate got married less than two years later in the type of dress I imagined to be my perfect dress. Now all I see are sleeved dresses. I could easily find my perfect dress today if I went wedding dress shopping. I would probably have a hard time choosing because there are so many choices I love. 

@JermajestyDuggar I remember the fashion for wedding dresses, and yes, they were all about being strapless. I hated the look and thought very few women actually look good in strapless. I'm glad that sleeves have made a come back, though it's not like I'm going to be buying a wedding dress now (nearly 10 years married). 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, fundiefan said:

Her wedding was not  photographed by Christopher. 

This is the kind of thing that could fester forever in even non-fundy families.  Can you imagine the conversations that happened over THAT?

Forever thank the goddess that Chelsy had the smarts and the cojones to hire a "real" photographer.  I watched the wedding recessional and had to smile as the Maxwell husbands scooped up their wives and carried them down the aisle.  Excepting Priss--he held his younger boy, walked down the aisle with NR Anna, and wore a BEC face that would have frozen a volcano.  Does anyone remember who taught him the finer points of photography?

14 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Does anyone remember who taught him the finer points of photography?

Taught him???

HA!

37 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

@JermajestyDuggar I remember the fashion for wedding dresses, and yes, they were all about being strapless. I hated the look and thought very few women actually look good in strapless. I'm glad that sleeves have made a come back, though it's not like I'm going to be buying a wedding dress now (nearly 10 years married). 

What did you end up buying?

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

What did you end up buying?

I ended up eloping and wore a white tea dress at White House Black Market. It had wide straps, which went better with my extra wide shoulders. 

I had wanted a dress with sleeves when I got married too. It was 16 years ago this month, a fall wedding,. I didn't find anything, I ended up with a sleeveless dress, but at least it wasn't strapless. I only had a few months to shop for a dress since we ended up moving our wedding date up a few months. I tried to find some sort of bolero to wear with it, but I never did find something that looked right with the dress. I had very limited shopping options so at least I did find a dress I thought was pretty, even if it wasn't my dream dress. 

21 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I ended up eloping and wore a white tea dress at White House Black Market. It had wide straps, which went better with my extra wide shoulders. 

That sounds really cute.

I think that Vera Wang was responsible for the sleeveless wedding gown phase.  She started showing them and they filtered down to the masses.  A few years ago, I noticed that Vera wasn't showing so many strapless gowns as she had.  I think this was before Prince William married Kate Middleton, but I'm not entirely sure.

25 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I think that Vera Wang was responsible for the sleeveless wedding gown phase.  She started showing them and they filtered down to the masses.  A few years ago, I noticed that Vera wasn't showing so many strapless gowns as she had.  I think this was before Prince William married Kate Middleton, but I'm not entirely sure.

I like the simplicity of Vera Wang gowns. But like PP said, not everyone wants a strapless gown. At least there’s more variety now. You can still buy a strapless wedding dress but you can also get sleeves. Which also means you can have a high neckline, low neckline, v neck, and backless. Those weren’t really options for strapless. All you got was sweetheart neckline or straight across. 

The silhouette of Princess Di’s big floofy wedding dress with the nipped-in waist dominated wedding gown fashion in the early ‘80s. It was a disaster for plus-sized gals like me. Fortunately, when I got remarried in 1985, the style Fergie wore soon thereafter was popular—long sleeves, v-neck, basque waist, and A-line skirt.  From the late ‘60s till the early ‘70s, darn near all formal dresses and wedding gowns had empire waistlines, owing in large part to the popularity of the 1968 Zeffirelli movie “Romeo and Juliet.”

48 minutes ago, Hane said:

The silhouette of Princess Di’s big floofy wedding dress with the nipped-in waist dominated wedding gown fashion in the early ‘80s. It was a disaster for plus-sized gals like me. Fortunately, when I got remarried in 1985, the style Fergie wore soon thereafter was popular—long sleeves, v-neck, basque waist, and A-line skirt.  From the late ‘60s till the early ‘70s, darn near all formal dresses and wedding gowns had empire waistlines, owing in large part to the popularity of the 1968 Zeffirelli movie “Romeo and Juliet.”

Oh yes, Fergie’s dress was so much prettier than Diana’s! But Diana did have a very pretty style in her everyday wear. Her wedding dress was just too much. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That sounds really cute.

Thanks, it was! At some point, I need to get it preserved. 

2 hours ago, Granwych said:

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, fundiefan said:

Her wedding was not  photographed by Christopher. 

This is the kind of thing that could fester forever in even non-fundy families.  Can you imagine the conversations that happened over THAT?

Forever thank the goddess that Chelsy had the smarts and the cojones to hire a "real" photographer.  I watched the wedding recessional and had to smile as the Maxwell husbands scooped up their wives and carried them down the aisle.  Excepting Priss--he held his younger boy, walked down the aisle with NR Anna, and wore a BEC face that would have frozen a volcano.  Does anyone remember who taught him the finer points of photography?

In Prissy Chris's defense, Amish Anna was in her last trimester.  Did Smug Joe carry Invisible Elissa she was also in her last trimester.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

I am not an advocate of strapless wedding dresses.  If you go with a cheap strapless dress they typically don’t have the structure to stay up. Unless they are meticulously altered they look horrible regardless of a brides shape or size.   

I have been one too many weddings where the bride is tugging at her dress the entire event.  

Dresses with sleeves are far more forgiving if not fitted properly.   I love a dress that shows off a bride’s shoulders. They can be quite sexy without the boobs in the face look. 

16 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

In Prissy Chris's defense, Amish Anna was in her last trimester.  Did Smug Joe carry Invisible Elissa she was also in her last trimester.

I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure the visibly pregnant women weren’t carried. That is why I was suspicious when both Cassidy and Carolina weren’t carried out. I called it then that they were pregnant. And they were but hadn’t told anyone.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh yes, Fergie’s dress was so much prettier than Diana’s! But Diana did have a very pretty style in her everyday wear. Her wedding dress was just too much. 

I think it was really interesting to watch Diana's style evolution (well, I'm doing it years later because I was a little kid when she died); she was 19 when she got married and I think that at that point, she hadn't really settled on a personal style and the strictures of court protocol meant that she was trussed up in floofy overly demure things that didn't suit her, but you see her start to shed all that and really embrace the hard-edged opulent minimalism of the early 90s, which I think she was born to wear. I think she'd still be a fashion icon if she were alive today. 

Also, ranking British royal wedding dresses: Meghan/Eugenie tie with Eugenie taking a very slight edge (I love Meghan's minimalism but Eugenie's dress was AMAZING), Princess Margaret, Lady Sarah Chatto (it's based on Tudor style dresses and I am all about that shit), the Queen, Kate (tbh as pretty as it was it just didn't wow me - I think it's a dress that's better in person than on camera), Fergie, Diana

I am thankful to have married in the early 90's, when sleeves on wedding dresses were still the norm.  As a large-busted gal who has never even been able to find a strapless bra that stays up, there is no way I would have worn strapless.

My gown actually had long sleeves and I had them shortened to the elbow, because it was August in TN.  

Here is a photo of my dress I found online...if you look closely at the sleeve, you can see what I mean - I just had that bottom half removed.  And I know it's super-foofy, but I was seriously into all things Victorian at the time and I just LOVE. MY. DRESS.  Added bonus - the fabric is thin cotton voile (again, August) and I think a big section of the front could be taken off and made into a fabulous christening dress someday.  :)

my wedding dress.jpg

I loved my strapless wedding dress. I'm have a fairly large chest but I was able to find one that was structured and fit well even with my large chest. I almost never wear anything strapless in my regular life. There were some options with straps or sleeves when I got married 5 years ago. But when I tried them on, I would say things to my mom like "this would be a nice dress if it didn't have these straps!":pb_lol: My other main concern was having something light because I as getting married somewhere hot. I also wanted an A-line dress so I didn't need to wear spanx. (I know that no one needs to wear spanx but I would have felt self-conscious if I wore a tighter dress and didn't have them on since everyone was looking at me).

Sorry to interrupt thread drift with topic drift...and I don't mean to be a BEC but...

the bride in Chelsy's most recent photos looks straight up like a child bride out of Handmaid's Tale's mass wedding to me.

Also, is kombucha really okay for pregnant women?

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived