IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 5; Pregnant, but Still Waiting to Read about the Honeymoon

Coconut Flan

It has been mentioned on the bontragers family blog that they didn’t eat out much as kids. Maybe this is one of the places they are at when they did. 

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We didn’t eat out much when I was growing up and we lived pretty far from the big city. So I remember being insanely impressed with Red Lobster and The Olive Garden as a teen. I seriously thought they were fancy AF. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

We didn’t eat out much when I was growing up and we lived pretty far from the big city. So I remember being insanely impressed with Red Lobster and The Olive Garden as a teen. I seriously thought they were fancy AF. 

Same here. Grew up in a small town with only a few mom and pop restaurants.  My first real chain restaurant meal was at a Howard Johnson's at age 13 and I was dazzled by all the choices.

@JermajestyDuggar, you are so fortunate to go out for either Indian or Mediterranean food with your husband.  I LOVE Indian and Mediterranean food.  We usually only go out to Fuddruckers, a Mexican place or a hibachi place.  My husband's palate is so boring!  At least we could try one of the local burger joints.  There are some good ones around.  Now, I'm craving a samosa!

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I was little, going to McDonald's was a HUGE deal.  It happened MAYBE once a year and to us, that was living high on the hog.  And maybe every three years or so we could get an apple pie for dessert ?

11 minutes ago, TaterTotsNPuddingPops said:

When I was little, going to McDonald's was a HUGE deal.  It happened MAYBE once a year and to us, that was living high on the hog.  And maybe every three years or so we could get an apple pie for dessert ?

McDonalds was a treat for us too. My family just made food at home all the time. I will say that it’s still a habit for me to eat at home as an adult. Which saves money. 

23 hours ago, TaterTotsNPuddingPops said:

This was us as well. And we'd only get the cheeseburger and drink...never the big burger, meal , fries or dessert.

Now my good childhood friend had McDs every Sunday for lunch. They only got the Big Macs...no fries, desserts or drinks.

I had my first Big Mac at her house.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone follow Chelsy on IG? I foolishly requested, but since my bio is that of an animal rescuer singing the praises of spaying/neutering, shockingly was not invited. 

@SoConfused,  the fact that Cheesy (that's what OfJohn's name autocorrected to) would hold it against you for being an animal rescuer and singing the praises of spay/neuter says a lot about her and not one damn thing about it is good!

My three dogs, one cat and I all thank you for being an animal rescuer.  They're all rescues: the dachsie and lab mix were rescued from hoarders, the Shih tzu was found in the middle of a freeway with her coat terribly overgrown, and my tortie was taken to the shelter at the age of 8.  Your work is so important!

I would have only gotten to go to places like Olive Garden or Ruby Tuesday, if my grandmother took me.  My father would only eat at restaurants that served Hamburger Steak with brown gravy, fried onions, mushrooms, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, and applesauce, if a restaurant didn't serve it, we didn't eat there.  If we at McDonald's (which was a treat) we had to sit in the car and eat no sitting inside regardless of the weather. Also, no one was allowed to order anything more expensive than my father's order.

23 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@SoConfused,  the fact that Cheesy (that's what OfJohn's name autocorrected to) would hold it against you for being an animal rescuer and singing the praises of spay/neuter says a lot about her and not one damn thing about it is good!

My three dogs, one cat and I all thank you for being an animal rescuer.  They're all rescues: the dachsie and lab mix were rescued from hoarders, the Shih tzu was found in the middle of a freeway with her coat terribly overgrown, and my tortie was taken to the shelter at the age of 8.  Your work is so important!

Thank you for adopting rescues! I’m not offended that she didn’t let me follow (and also not surprised), just bizarrely so interested in her life. Since she doesn’t update her blog, we have no idea if she’s still “spunky” or just instagrams her life in quarter hours. 

And funny about autocorrect to Cheesy - I’ve named many rescue kittens variations of Cheese including a super sweet brother/sister Parma Sean + Cheez (their mom was Spaghetti) and recently had a litter of Cheeses (Brie, Gouda, Gorgonzola, Feta...) and now have a Queso + Nacho Cheese. 

2 hours ago, SoConfused said:

since my bio is that of an animal rescuer singing the praises of spaying/neutering

I love you.  All of mine have been rescues, and my grand-pibble whom I'm puppysitting is snuggling with me now...

Rescues. The second generation.  

I think Chelsy probably only accepts friend requests of people she’s met. That’s just a guess. Some fundies we talk about know they are talked about here and keep their instagrams private. 

On 9/27/2018 at 8:54 PM, SassyPants said:

This was us as well. And we'd only get the cheeseburger and drink...never the big burger, meal , fries or dessert.

Now my good childhood friend had McDs every Sunday for lunch. They only got the Big Macs...no fries, desserts or drinks.

I had my first Big Mac at her house.

No fries at McD’s??!!!  What’s the point of going?

(I understand it wasn’t your choice what you got to eat)

8 hours ago, johnhugh said:

Seems that sadly, John was camping  it up,on stage at that the family camp about camping  http://bontragersingers.blogspot.com/

Reading the comments and replies from this blog post are a good reminder of how the Bontragers, for all their delicious food and more modern clothing, are just as hateful as the Maxborg. 

20 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

Reading the comments and replies from this blog post are a good reminder of how the Bontragers, for all their delicious food and more modern clothing, are just as hateful as the Maxborg. 

There was a lovely exchange in the comment section a few years ago between Becky and her nephew who went to public school. He was challenging her misguided notions about how public school produces rebellious children and he wasn’t backing down. I wanted to shake that boy’s hand. She eventually told him to come to their home to further discuss it, lol. She probably realized he made good points and she was looking bad in the process. 

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There was a lovely exchange in the comment section a few years ago between Becky and her nephew who went to public school. He was challenging her misguided notions about how public school produces rebellious children and he wasn’t backing down. I wanted to shake that boy’s hand. She eventually told him to come to their home to further discuss it, lol. She probably realized he made good points and she was looking bad in the process. 

Glad her nephew said something.

Mr. Yoder memorably demonstrated how the giraffe proves intelligent design.

More like Mr. Yoder memorably demonstrated his complete lack of understanding of evolution.

18 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Did they really describe a baby as "ineffable"?  WTF!

Well..babies are, IMO.  That's not weird to me.

So... Avoiding scams (hilarious, because brilliant Joshie got scammed)
Friends are evil
How a giraffe proves intelligent design... Ok, I believe it now

And father/daughter mother/son breakout groups. So fetch.

Yep, sounds about right!

44 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:

So... Avoiding scams (hilarious, because brilliant Joshie got scammed)
Friends are evil
How a giraffe proves intelligent design... Ok, I believe it now

And father/daughter mother/son breakout groups. So fetch.

Yep, sounds about right!

Stop trying to make fetch happen.

The Bontragers and Wissmanns obviously know very little about public school. You can’t paint all public schools with a broad brush. And of course there are other options besides public. There are lots of types of private schools. There is a Montessori near me that places children in groups that are a range of ages. Like ages 3-6 are in one class. Public school Children mix with older or younger children all the time. My kindergarten child goes to public school and has a “buddy” on Fridays. He’s in the 5th grade and they always meet in the library for some little project. He thinks this older boy is so cool and fun. The children also mix at recess every day. My child plays with children of all ages at recess. I’m sure other public schools have children of different ages mixing at different times. The Wissmanns also seem to think the leader of a classroom is the bully or most charismatic child. Umm no. The leader of the classroom is the teacher. Just like the leader of a homeschool classroom is a parent. It’s not that hard to understand. So many fundies make their decisions out of ignorance and I’m just so tired of it. 

I would like to add that there are so many arguments against public schooling that make absolutely no sense. They act like all a public school child’s waking hours are spent at school. First, preschool is optional. So if they wanted to, fundies could keep their children at home until they are 5 or even 6 and then they start kindergarten. Some districts only offer half day kindergarten. So they might only be in school for 3.5 hours a day when in kindergarten. That’s a pretty small portion of their lives to be at school. Then starting in first grade through 12th grade, they will be away from home 7 hours a day for 5 days a week. If their father works outside the home, then he won’t actually be missing any time away from his children. But when I say 5 days a week, it’s rarely that. Kids get so many days off from school they end up only going about 180 days out of 360 a year. And that’s not counting sick days. Do fundies actually realize how little time these kids are spending away from their parents. They are spending no more time away from their father than homeschooling fundies with a father that works out of the home. And they are actually spending more time AWAY from school than at school. And I’m not counting the time they are sleeping in their beds at home. 

Ahh I am writing a novel here, lol. But one more thing. My kids’ teachers are constantly looking for volunteers and room parents. I can easily go help in my children’s classrooms at any time. So yet again, I have many opportunities to spend more time with my children. And all that time I spend with them outside of school, I could easily use to teach them all about the Bible. Fundies might be pissy about public schools not teaching about the Bible, but they could easily do that themselves if they wanted to. Along with creationism and whatever else bullshit they believe in. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived