IGNORED

DIVORCED! Mike Pearl's daughter, Shoshanna Pearl Easling, gets legally married

hoipolloi

Emergencies are 000 in Australia.

Or 112 from a mobile phone - triple zero will still work, but if you've got poor mobile reception (it's a big country!) 112 will use the strongest phone network rather than the network you're with.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

42 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Same. That dial up was so damn loud! Trying to cover it barely did anything but I still tried. It was the best time to be online because no one was using the phone at 1am anyway. 

YES!!! That was exactly my idea. My dad kept calling my an internet and computer addict and tried to limit me on the computer. If I could have been with my friends instead I would have but I couldn't so I got on AIM and Xanga and LiveJournal. At my mom's I had a hardcore curfew that none of my friends did while at my dad's I had almost no friends to hang out with. 

Actually back in middle school I used TeenOpenDiary and got an established super liberal political blog that I bet today would be so cringe. People who followed me were shocked I was like 12-13. They thought I was like 18 or so. I had so much passion back then,  :sigh: I miss it.

I did meet friends who became real life friends though especially through the LJ group Sluts4Choice. The title was satire and based off some thing one of the anti choices on LJ to us.actually one girl in the group ended up going to the same college I did and we became friends and worked on Students for Choice and BRown Undergrads for Sexual Health Education (BRUSHe) We didn't realize we had been friends online until like a semester or two.

Ahhhh good times!

• Upvote 7

17 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

And I'm old enough to remember party lines!

We had party lines in my area until the 1980s; my grandmother had one for her home number(she had a separate, private line for her insurance business).  Although I missed the letter exchanges, we could dial just the last five digits for local calls until around the same time, when updated equipment required all seven digits.

• Upvote 4

You guys will laugh at this stupid 90s story. For the longest time, we didn’t have a cordless phone. Even though lots of families had them. They were expensive so we just used the cheap corded phones with super long cords we would drag around the house. My mom finally bought a cordless phone that was on sale. I honestly can’t remember the exact year. Maybe 94? Anyway we got a cordless and my best friend lived 2 doors down. I called her and talked to her for a minute. I walked 2 houses down as I was talking, then I covered the phone and knocked on her door. She was like, “hold on, someone’s at the door.” She opened the door and she was so confused. We laughed about it for awhile. Only in the early 90s would a cordless phone be a fun surprise. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 21

There were also so many, many missteps as cell phones came on the scene. The first ones came in a blocky case with a huge battery.  And charges by the minute IIRC, long distance was expensive and International calls were in the stratosphere expensive.  People (and especially their children) inadvertently ran up bills of hundreds of dollars. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Howl said:

There were also so many, many missteps as cell phones came on the scene. The first ones came in a blocky case with a huge battery.  And charges by the minute IIRC, long distance was expensive and International calls were in the stratosphere expensive.  People (and especially their children) inadvertently ran up bills of hundreds of dollars. 

I had one of the brick sized cellular phones in the mid-90's. I think I only carried it when I was hauling horses, though I also grabbed it if I had to go into work late at night so I could call for help if I got stranded on a country road. Then, I migrated that telephone number to a flip phone when they became affordable, though my calling plan was so expensive that it was still emergency use only. I was a comparatively late adopter of smart phones and data phones. I thought they looked darling, but I couldn't really justify spending the money. Then my partner got one associated with a gig he was doing, and I could no longer resist and bought my first cell (Edit: smart) phone in 2014.

Edited by FiveAcres
Edit: cell to smart
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

I had one of the brick sized cellular phones in the mid-90's. I think I only carried it when I was hauling horses, though I also grabbed it if I had to go into work late at night so I could call for help if I got stranded on a country road. Then, I migrated that telephone number to a flip phone when they became affordable, though my calling plan was so expensive that it was still emergency use only. I was a comparatively late adopter of smart phones and data phones. I thought they looked darling, but I couldn't really justify spending the money. Then my partner got one associated with a gig he was doing, and I could no longer resist and bought my first cell phone in 2014.

My husband is very techy and I never was that much. My husband got a smartphone maybe a year or so after they first came out. I held out for awhile. I was due for a new phone and my husband suggested a smart phone. I was like, “I don’t know. Maybe I’ll just get a new flip phone.” He jokingly threatened divorce. So I got a smart phone. And now I’ve been addicted for years 😒

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5

Thanks everyone, these stories are making me smile today, as I remember a lot of the same things. ❤️ 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You guys will laugh at this stupid 90s story. For the longest time, we didn’t have a cordless phone. Even though lots of families had them. They were expensive so we just used the cheap corded phones with super long cords we would drag around the house. My mom finally bought a cordless phone that was on sale. I honestly can’t remember the exact year. Maybe 94? Anyway we got a cordless and my best friend lived 2 doors down. I called her and talked to her for a minute. I walked 2 houses down as I was talking, then I covered the phone and knocked on her door. She was like, “hold on, someone’s at the door.” She opened the door and she was so confused. We laughed about it for awhile. Only in the early 90s would a cordless phone be a fun surprise. 

That reminds me of my... not so bright next door neighbor. She was a grade younger than me at the Catholic girls school. Well one time she couldn't find her cell phone this was like 2003-4? So she took the cordless phone with her in her purse. Lots of jokes over that. She's gotten it together now it was the Era of Paris Hilton and the dumb being cute and she was super into fashion and makeup, she's now in fashion in NYC and realized you don't have to play dumb. But the phone thing she wasn't playing dumb she honestly thought it would work.

I used to constantly come home with the cordless phone from work around the same time from the local pizza place/restaurant I managed. I put it in the back of my jeans and was so used to carrying it I would forget to hang it up and would bring it home.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/11/2021 at 8:50 PM, zee_four said:

Actually back in middle school I used TeenOpenDiary

I used the hell out of TOD and OD for years. I was so sad when they became defunct.

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I used the hell out of TOD and OD for years. I was so sad when they became defunct.

Do you remember your handle? I'm trying to think if what mine was....Back then denverhockeygirl was my first AIM and I remember all my high school ones I still use some like zeefour and itstallgirl. I remember some other usernames but not mine right now.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Shoshanna confirms that James is not around:

193011628_ShoshannasaysJamesdoesntlivehereanymore.thumb.png.14d5cd423c94a69671bd825a0257708f.png

I can’t believe she finally said “he does not live with us.” She didn’t say the words “separated or divorce” but she is still admitting he isn’t there. That’s more than what she would admit months ago. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

I'm wondering if this is a situation where she will NEVER initiate the actual divorce; it won't happen unless he files?  She still has glam photos of them together on her fb.  She also has a lot of MILF adjacent glam photos of herself, but she still has her herb company and is an influencer of sorts, I suppose, so she still has to show she's got it going on. 

It's clear from Shoshanna's fb page that she is the one raising her son.  She's doing a 3-part series discussing this on fb. 

Raising Jeremiah, Part 2, posted today.  (Part 1 is gross, weird and very Pearl)

Spoiler

I heard people describing men, teenage boys, and boys all the time, “He’s just a boy”. “Men are just like that.” “Boys aren’t like girls.” “Boys can’t help it.” “That’s their nature.” I found the “normal” was that everyone considered boys to be animals, and often they were. But what does the Bible say, “God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” Genesis 1:27 So I started asking questions. What if you trained them young? What if you taught them line upon line, precept upon precept? What if you taught them that they did have control; That they could make choices and decisions as their bodies grew bursting with hormones and feelings. What if all of our verbiage was no longer colored with the lack of self-control a boy or a man “naturally has” and instead "

I knew I had hormones and a drive, but I got to choose. I knew that I leaned on God and prayed asking Him to guide my thoughts. “For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:” Proverbs 23:7

“I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.” Psalms 119:15

“I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.” Psalms 143:5

I knew innocence and I had seen the lack of it. I knew naïve and I still lived it as a young mother. I knew, I needed God’s help to raise Jeremiah in the way he should go. I trusted God. I knew his promises were faithful.

Raising Jeremiah part three posting this evening.

"...instead we empowered them with the Word of God, strength of character, a healthy brain, knowledge, open conversation, self respect, respect for others, and hard work?"  Honestly, this is not terrible or not as terrible as it could be. 

Most notably, there is nothing about patriarchy, rigid roles for men and women (or maybe that is simply a subtext that doesn't need saying), the father MUST raise the sons, yada yada.  She is clear that she's raising her son.  Her, not her husband or her father.  There will be a Part 3 this evening. 

In other news, Debi Pearl had a hip replacement recently.  Are they are on MediCare now and not some idiotic Scamaritan plan?  Michael Pearl had a major stroke a few years ago.  I would think that would have alerted them to the potential for bankruptcy from medical bills, but again, this is Pearldom...

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6

39 minutes ago, Howl said:

In other news, Debi Pearl had a hip replacement recently.  Are they are on MediCare now and not some idiotic Scamaritan plan?  Michael Pearl had a major stroke a few years ago.  I would think that would have alerted them to the potential for bankruptcy from medical bills, but again, this is Pearldom...

Isn’t it funny how fundies will do a complete 180 when it helps them? They can go on and on about how evil a divorce is until their kids need one. They can go on and on about government insurance. Until they need it. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

26 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They can go on and on about how evil a divorce is until their kids need one.

They (abortion opponents) can go on and on about how evil abortion is until the wife/daughter/mistress needs one. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, Howl said:

It's clear from Shoshanna's fb page that she is the one raising her son.  She's doing a 3-part series discussing this on fb. 

Yes, and someone in part 2 asked her again about James:

Shoshanna's explanation for James' absence.png

ETA: Not sure what to take from Shoshanna's bafflegab here -- was James not a True Christian™️ after all? Was he actually "not saved"? Has he been faking it all these years? Did James not "invest correctly" in their children?

Not holding my breath that we'll see any straight answers. 

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

"But it's not our job to make the other parent invest correctly."

Hoo boy.  "Invest correctly" is doing a LOT of heavy lifting.

Some shit went down and I'll gosh darn guarantee that Shoshanna did not practice wifely submission to whatever James did or didn't do.

She is spending a lot of time with Jeremiah and she references daily time with Lincoln.  Does she do the same with the same intensity with her daughters.  Or does she invest more time in the boys in this specific regard? 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

The vague-booking about not being saved or not "investing correctly" in one's children is interesting in light of James' FB profile:

919104029_JamesFBprofile.thumb.jpg.326056241f3cd0e66d91e928938b22fd.jpg

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Some shit went down and I'll gosh darn guarantee that Shoshanna did not practice wifely submission to whatever James did or didn't do.

I agree. Credit to Shoshanna for taking action to stop or prevent whatever happened that harmed her and/or the kids.

Still, it's all a bit difficult to understand in light of her parents' DECADES of promoting & tolerating abuse within a family, whether it's child-beating manuals or Debi telling women they had to avoid provoking their abusive husbands.

Edited by hoipolloi
Fixed typo
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

The vague-booking about not being saved or not "investing correctly" in one's children is interesting in light of James' FB profile:

919104029_JamesFBprofile.thumb.jpg.326056241f3cd0e66d91e928938b22fd.jpg

I agree. Credit to Shoshanna for taking action to stop or prevent whatever happened that harmed her and/or the kids.

Still, it's all a bit difficult to understand in light of her parents' DECADES of promoting & tolerating abuse within a family, whether it's child-beating manuals or Debi telling women they had to avoid provoking their abusive husbands.

I can't give her credit for doing anything until I know more of what happened. Her parents have promoted child abuse that is linked to the deaths of children. I would have to know what exactly she is taking a stand against before I give her credit. 

Shoshanna herself is not reliable.  I still remember her antics surrounding the birth of her youngest child. She said it's fine to go long over term for a pregnancy, despite the risks to the woman and the baby. She also continues to praise her parents despite their abuse. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

10 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I can't give her credit for doing anything until I know more of what happened. Her parents have promoted child abuse that is linked to the deaths of children. I would have to know what exactly she is taking a stand against before I give her credit. 

Shoshanna herself is not reliable.  I still remember her antics surrounding the birth of her youngest child. She said it's fine to go long over term for a pregnancy, despite the risks to the woman and the baby. She also continues to praise her parents despite their abuse. 

I think she’s just changing beliefs that suit her. Not because she actually believes them. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

James walked away from the marriage?  But he still lists himself as a husband. 

Although their life on a farm seems idyllic, the house has problems and needs periodic work/repairs. Their heating system is unreliable and I'm going to assume there isn't enough money to replace it. 

Also, I noticed there is no discussion about the skills Jeremiah has developed to  support himself. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2

I looked up the book she recommended and it just seems like a slightly less strict version of Josh Harris’s book. Don’t have sex before marriage because god. Ya ya ya we’ve heard that a million times dude. 

7E68CB2A-48C4-40C6-A215-716824E1CFD6.jpeg

• Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic