IGNORED

DIVORCED! Mike Pearl's daughter, Shoshanna Pearl Easling, gets legally married

hoipolloi

If I lived somewhere so dangerous that I had to have a handgun strapped to me, I would move! 
We live on a large, rural property and we own 1 air rifle. Big enough to sort out the rabbits and hares.

I have managed to memorise the 3 digit number to call the police in an emergency 🙄

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

He probably didn't have a shirt on under the plaid and she filled it in. No way would he wear a pink shirt. Plus there aren't modesty standards for him, just for the little women. My eyes hurt from rolling them too far. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

11 hours ago, bean said:

Does it look like she colored something in on this picture? What is the pink and blue here?

image.png.ef1fd6460be8a0bbaad43b2231cd9470.png

I think it's someone else. Another one of her kids? sitting there?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

If I lived somewhere so dangerous that I had to have a handgun strapped to me, I would move! 
We live on a large, rural property and we own 1 air rifle. Big enough to sort out the rabbits and hares.

I have managed to memorise the 3 digit number to call the police in an emergency 🙄

In the US, the emergency number is 911. I’m curious what number other countries use. 

30 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

In the US, the emergency number is 911. I’m curious what number other countries use. 

110 for police and 112 for medical emergencies and the fire department 

• Thank You 4

10 minutes ago, ophelia said:

110 for police and 112 for medical emergencies and the fire department 

I always wondered why the US went with 911 and not something easier like 555. But then I realized easy numbers like that are probably much more likely to be accidentally dialed. And a number like 911 is more likely to be intentionally dialed. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I read that it caused a bit of an issue when reruns of “Rescue 911” were exported overseas.  There was usually a reminder to dial the local emergency number, and some countries shortened the title to “Rescue.”

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

In New Zealand it’s 111.

• I Agree 1

I read that 911 has more challenges these days since everyone has a cell phone. Sometimes people don’t know the address, exact location, or can’t talk. Home phones could be traced but cell phones can be harder to track down the location in a hurry. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I read that 911 has more challenges these days since everyone has a cell phone. Sometimes people don’t know the address, exact location, or can’t talk. Home phones could be traced but cell phones can be harder to track down the location in a hurry. 

That used to be the case. Now, if you have your GPS on, they can find you without issue. 

Personally, I don't keep my location on. But, they still found me quick. I accidentally hit the two button combo on my phone that dialed 911. I smashed it off as soon as I noticed, but it wasn't enough. Just the one ring...5 minutes later, the cops were at my door. I felt like a fool & felt bad for them wasting time because of my stupidity.

After that, I also changed the settings on my phone for how to call 911. No more button pressing combos. 

• Upvote 4

On 11/8/2021 at 5:17 PM, Alisamer said:

Dad had a handgun of some sort, but I didn't know about it until I was in late elementary school and only then because I was nosing around where I had no business snooping.

It shouldn’t have been accessible to you. Doesn’t matter if you had “no business” being there.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 12

1 hour ago, Petronella said:

It shouldn’t have been accessible to you. Doesn’t matter if you had “no business” being there.

True. It was the 80's. I didn't even touch the thing though, because I had been taught not to touch guns. And it was in a place they probably had no idea I would ever look. 

Dad grew up on a farm shooting guns from the time he was a little kid, so he probably felt like he was being very cautious hiding it away anyway. It was a different time. I don't even know where he got the handgun or why he had it. It was likely a gift or passed to him from a relative or something. 

If we were kids today I'm sure the guns would have all been safely locked away with the ammo locked away in a different building. Dad's never carried a gun except for a specific purpose (hunting, for example, or the time he slept outside with an injured cow with the shotgun across his chest to protect her from the feral dogs!). 

Michael Pearl wearing a gun is, really, performative. I wouldn't be surprised if everytime a photo of him is taken he's all "oh, make sure you get my gun side!" 

And if you asked him about safety, he'd probably go on about how the kids had "don't touch dad's gun" literally beaten into them. 

• Upvote 6

I know 911 was chosen in the US and Canada because it was unique like it was a number that was never a office code, area code, or service code, and something to do with the way telephones worked at the time with switchboards and technology. A website said "it best met the long range numbering plans and switching configurations of the telephone industry." I'm a big fan of wiki hopping just to read interesting things and I think that's how I originally read something that covered this.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, zee_four said:

I know 911 was chosen in the US and Canada because it was unique like it was a number that was never a office code, area code, or service code, and something to do with the way telephones worked at the time with switchboards and technology.

Related trivia: In the original North American Numbering Plan (NANP), area codes all had a "0" or "1" in the middle, and never "0" or "1" as the first digit. This made it possible for the telephone switch to tell the difference between a 10-digit (long-distance) number and a 7-digit (local) one (because the 3-digit exchange never had "0" or "1" for the first two digits), and also let you dial just "0" for operator.

The original area codes with "0" in the middle were used for whole states; states populous enough to be divided into multiple area codes had the "1" codes. If you remember that it was all rotary dialing back then, this had the effect of making the area code faster to dial in more populated areas; New York City got "212" (the shortest possible one) and L.A got 213, whereas rural states got the slowest ones like "90x" or "x09".

The eight "x11" combinations were the "service codes" including 411 for directory assistance and 911 for emergencies.

(Eventually the phone system grew to the point where they needed a lot more more area codes, and with the use of modern digital switching equipment, the "0 or 1 in the middle" rule could be dropped.)

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

Related trivia: In the original North American Numbering Plan (NANP), area codes all had a "0" or "1" in the middle, and never "0" or "1" as the first digit. This made it possible for the telephone switch to tell the difference between a 10-digit (long-distance) number and a 7-digit (local) one (because the 3-digit exchange never had "0" or "1" for the first two digits), and also let you dial just "0" for operator.

The original area codes with "0" in the middle were used for whole states; states populous enough to be divided into multiple area codes had the "1" codes. If you remember that it was all rotary dialing back then, this had the effect of making the area code faster to dial in more populated areas; New York City got "212" (the shortest possible one) and L.A got 213, whereas rural states got the slowest ones like "90x" or "x09".

The eight "x11" combinations were the "service codes" including 411 for directory assistance and 911 for emergencies.

(Eventually the phone system grew to the point where they needed a lot more more area codes, and with the use of modern digital switching equipment, the "0 or 1 in the middle" rule could be dropped.)

Thats really interesting!!! And that makes a lot of sense. Colorado was originally all 303 now thats only the Denver metro area shared with 720, 970 is the north and west 3/4 of the state minus Denver (from Durango Grand Junction to Ft Collins and Greeley) while 719 is the southeast quarter (Leadville CO Springs Pueblo) 

Speaking of 9s

Alaska is 907 the whole state.

Meanwhile Vegas is 702 shared with 725. 702 was originally all of Nevada but now all of Nevada outside Vegas is 775.

Hawai'i is 808 and still has no other area codes.

Utah was originally all 801 now thats only SLC shared with 385 (its newer than Denver's 720 which came about in the late 90s while 385 was only like 2009-2010 but the same equivalent) while 435 covers the rest of the state from Moab to St. George to Logan and even Provo.

Rhode Island is 401 and still no other area codes. 

Wyoming is 307 and nothing else.

Montana is only 406.

I wonder why Colorado got 303. In the 50s/60s especially it was much more rural than Rhode Island. And Wyoming got 307 and its still the smallest state population wise. Montana is a 4 too. I wonder if there's a reason for that north to south you get MT WY then CO. (Then NM which is 505 originally now that covers Santa Fe, Albuquerque and NW NM like Farmington and the Four Corners)

Those are the only places I've lived ever outside NYC so I'm sure there's more out west but that is really cool. I'm such a dork for this kind of stuff.

Edited by zee_four
I messed up and realized SW CO is 970 too not 719
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, zee_four said:

I'm such a dork for this kind of stuff.

Me too! There were all kinds of interesting things you could do with the phone system in those early days. But I got thinking about this one today: Back when all phones came from AT&T and all had pretty much the same dial, they used to sell these locks for them:

rotary-lock.jpg.3b0d4a8a007c641406a2d927d2c1498b.jpg

You would put this on a phone in a public place to lock the dial and prevent someone from making long-distance calls (you could still answer it if it rang). Well, if you had reasonably good rhythm, you could tap the switch hook click-click-click to represent each digit, and dial a number that way. I'm not saying I ever did such things... 😇

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

10 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

Back when all phones came from AT&T and all had pretty much the same dial, they used to sell these locks for them

Huh. Don't think I ever saw a lock -- even on the lone phone available on my floor of the dorm. 

And I'm old enough to remember party lines! And dialing a local number like "EMErson-5255"!

:character-oldtimer:

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

I have so many “I’m old” phone stories I tell my kids just to confuse them. Like calling the local number for “time and temperature.” Or waiting for someone to call after ten but since it wasn’t allowed, you sit right next to the phone so you could pick it up really fast. That way your parents might not wake up from a full ring. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Huh. Don't think I ever saw a lock -- even on the lone phone available on my floor of the dorm. 

And I'm old enough to remember party lines! And dialing a local number like "EMErson-5255"!

:character-oldtimer:

I was born in the late 80s so I missed those first hand.

I was super shy, hard of hearing, with big hearing aids and huge pink glasses and a vociferous reader. In early elementary I devoured the Babysitters Club books. I was so confused with the letters in the phone number 

My mom was born  in 1954 and grew up in a super small farm town of like 500 in southwestern Ontario. She said when she was a kid there was a party line, and the woman who down the way and was their closest neighbor was the operator. My mom said she was a bad gossip and would listen in on everyone's calls and you learned not to say anything private on the phone. This went well into the 60s and early 70s I believe.

My dad was born in rural Kaua'i in 1946. He was the youngest of 9, his oldest siblings were so much older they had kids my dads age. His dad died in the mid 50s I think and my tutu (grandmother) worked at the pineapple cannery. They didn't even have electricity until the 70s I think.  Maybe the late 60s, one of my uncles insisted on getting it set up for tutu. Before if someone called they called the little General store and the auntie working there handed out everyone's messages. It worked at the post office too.

A few years after his dad died, my dad moved to O'ahu and lived in the Waia'nae Coast with an auntie, it was more of a town and she had electricity including a phone and TV.

In rural Kaua'i and even some parts of more old style Native O'ahu at the time the phone wasn't popular, everyone hung outside on the lanai back then to talk store especially the kupuna (elderly) who are super respected in Kānaka culture. That's how people got news.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have so many “I’m old” phone stories I tell my kids just to confuse them. Like calling the local number for “time and temperature.” Or waiting for someone to call after ten but since it wasn’t allowed, you sit right next to the phone so you could pick it up really fast. That way your parents might not wake up from a full ring. 

Yes!!! I think we're roughly the same age:-)

knew exactly when the automated message from the school came to report absences. 4:53 pm. My mom was a freelance artist but pretty strict which came from her Cinderella esque upbringing and crazy stepmother. Anyway I made sure to always be home then to pick up the phone and hang up so my mom or the answering machine didn't get it. I had 87 (they counted each class missed during the day as 1 absence) inexcusable absences senior year which my mom never found out about and I only got caught because I had a new dean. 

Me and my friends would talk all night to avoid being kicked off the phone by parents who needed it.

The morphed into being online as late as possible. Both my mom and my dad had a single phone line and 24k dialup. I remember covered the phone jack with a pillow to try to quiet down the awful noise from dial up to not wake up my dad who's bedroom shared a wall with mine which is where the one family computer fit. I wanted to AIM my friends from school as a teen I hated having to go visit my dad.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

41 minutes ago, zee_four said:

he morphed into being online as late as possible. Both my mom and my dad had a single phone line and 24k dialup. I remember covered the phone jack with a pillow to try to quiet down the awful noise from dial up to not wake up my dad who's bedroom shared a wall with mine which is where the one family computer fit. I wanted to AIM my friends from school as a teen I hated having to go visit my dad

Same. That dial up was so damn loud! Trying to cover it barely did anything but I still tried. It was the best time to be online because no one was using the phone at 1am anyway. 

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic