IGNORED

Britain and Brexit business

AmazonGrace

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Personally I am in favour of banning betting on elections and banning betting agency ads full stop.

That would be a brilliant Idea, it's far to easy to gamble these day's and betting on an election just seems wrong, when people are themselves participating on the outcome. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

t's far to easy to gamble these day's

Totally agree. I spent a summer working as a cleaner in a bookies' shop and some of the things I saw made me despair. One regular customer would go into the paper shop next door and buy a handful of scratch cards then come straight into the bookies' to spend her morning gambling. Another guy was just out of jail for fraud and was convinced that betting was his new get rich quick scheme. The staff were only allowed to ban someone if they violated the rules; abusive behaviour, borrowing money or asking to borrow money from other customers or stealing, they could also accept a note from people who has asked to ban themselves. Literally no one ever asked to be banned because they felt they had a problem but there were plenty of people who clearly did have a problem.

Plus the number of ads on TV and Youtube for online gambling is very high.

Agree that betting on an election seems in particularly poor taste.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, unsafetydancer said:

Totally agree. I spent a summer working as a cleaner in a bookies' shop and some of the things I saw made me despair. One regular customer would go into the paper shop next door and buy a handful of scratch cards then come straight into the bookies' to spend her morning gambling. Another guy was just out of jail for fraud and was convinced that betting was his new get rich quick scheme. The staff were only allowed to ban someone if they violated the rules; abusive behaviour, borrowing money or asking to borrow money from other customers or stealing, they could also accept a note from people who has asked to ban themselves. Literally no one ever asked to be banned because they felt they had a problem but there were plenty of people who clearly did have a problem.

Plus the number of ads on TV and Youtube for online gambling is very high.

Agree that betting on an election seems in particularly poor taste.

I have bet on the Grand National once or twice and put the occasional lottery on but that is it. When I worked at Celtic Park on match days I used to see people who had season tickets, spend most of the match at the Ladbroke's kiosk betting instead of watching the game, wasting money gambling and on a season ticket, they could have went to the bookies at home and let someone else who actually would appreciate it use the season ticket. 

My dad has worked on a lot building sites and he has said the some of the people he worked with would go and gamble a good chunk of their wage as soon as they got paid every Friday. Then panic that their partner's would be angry if they lost most of it. 

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is absolutely hilarious. And prophetic. 

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

Good question by this reporter. The answer, viewed objectively, is a prime lesson in how to deftly parry difficult questions and steer clear of incriminating yourself and others of scheming together -- without anyone being able to say you didn't actually answer the question. No matter what you may think of Putin, the man is incredibly clever. That's one of the reasons why he's so dangerous.

• Upvote 3

If you think the it doesn't get any worse - wait for it - it does. If this is true and I believe Jennifer Cohn, then every person in every damn country where the right wing movement is getting stronger needs to resist.

Edited by Smash!
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

• 1 month later...

The UK has now officially left the EU, though things won't change until the end of the year, while deals are negotiated. 

I voted remain and would do it again if they had done another vote. If Scotland does have another referendum on independence I will vote Yes again and the EU have said they will let us rejoin, since the majority of Scotland wanted to Remain. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

@candygirl200413 as I already have a passport with 8 years left on it mine is good for just now, it will just stop being accepted for some things very shortly.

Technically we will all be getting the new blue passports once ours run out of date, although I wouldn't put it past the assholes to simply declare all the maroon ones void once after the transition period, in which case I wasted £90 renewing mine last time around. Passports are important documents here too, since we don't have a national ID card scheme you will often be asked for a passport when opening a new bank account or starting a new job. For the people who cannot afford an unexpected £90 bill for a new one this might pose a problem.

They're still "UK" passports, if they tried to make me get an "English" one I would seriously consider kneecapping someone. I hope that I will be able to apply for my new "Scotland" passport one day in the future.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

@unsafetydancer you’re lucky you live in Scotland. Sadly I don’t. In an ideal world I’d find a French or German boyfriend and go and live abroad. But then I would find it very difficult living away from family. I find it very hard to make new friends and having to do it in an entirely new country in a language I’m not totally fluent in would be almost torturous. My university year abroad was hideous enough...

• Love 5

@mango_fandango you'll always be welcome up here in Scotland. I know it's pretty tough to leave people behind though, since moving to the other side of the country it has been hard not to feel I'm out here totally on my own. :( 

Was speaking to a guy at a train station the other day on my way back north from a meeting and he was telling me that he's seriously considering moving to Scotland after his friend moved and liked it up here. I still think it's pretty sad that this has caused such an utter mess, it's like people have no idea that all this xenophobia is only serving the super wealthy who stand to gain a LOT from not having to declare their incomes for tax in line with new EU directives.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, unsafetydancer said:

the super wealthy who stand to gain a LOT from not having to declare their incomes for tax in line with new EU directives

And this, this right here, is the sole reason there is a Brexit.

• I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...

Brexiteer got what he voted for

A Brexiteer who was forced to wait in an immigration queue at an EU airport in Amsterdam has complained that "this isn’t the Brexit I voted for”.

Colin Browning, who described himself as one of the 17.4 million people who voted for Brexit, said he was forced to wait for nearly an hour at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol before his passport was checked.

“Absolutely disgusting service at Schiphol airport. 55 minutes we have been stood in the immigration queue. This isn’t the Brexit I voted for,” he wrote on Twitter.

When another user commented on Mr Browning’s post saying he “got what [he] voted for”, the Brexit supporter replied: “I didn’t vote to stand in a queue for over an hour why [sic] some jobsworth checks our passports.

Fuck him. He got what he deserved. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, what.the.fuck?!
Boris Johnson is refusing to commit to the Human Rights Convention. 

• WTF 2

• 6 months later...

So I read that Bojo has done it again, it has given an ultimatum for final Brexit to happen on the 15 October or there will be a no deal, all after trying do pass a new law about north Ireland that will violate the Eu law that he has signed previously. Wtf is happening? Anyone can explain?

• WTF 2

https://www.rt.com/uk/500171-uk-bill-violate-brexit-agreement/

I have found an article that recaps what I was saying this morning, I have read the news first on the Italian news and I wasn't sure if I had understood everything. Apparently, they have admitted the new bill will break the law but they still think to pass it because? COVID? Bad economic status? So if I have screwed my answer and now I'm in trouble I could technically violate laws and is not such a big deal? I don't get it

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

40 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

https://www.rt.com/uk/500171-uk-bill-violate-brexit-agreement/

I have found an article that recaps what I was saying this morning, I have read the news first on the Italian news and I wasn't sure if I had understood everything. Apparently, they have admitted the new bill will break the law but they still think to pass it because? COVID? Bad economic status? So if I have screwed my answer and now I'm in trouble I could technically violate laws and is not such a big deal? I don't get it

With a conspiracy theory hat on, this looks like a deliberate effort to get a no deal brexit, no matter the cost. Guess who profits the most from that scenario?

Without a conspiracy theory hat on, this looks like a deliberate effort. To what, I have no idea. Is he trying to call the EU's bluff? 

• Upvote 3

I think your theory with the conspiracy hat on is spot in sadly. I was hoping he was just dumb and admits to violating the agreement he himself had signed before just because he thinks he can, but I think he really want a no deal brexit, and this is his way to obtain it 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Without a conspiracy theory hat on, this looks like a deliberate effort. To what, I have no idea.

To put brexit back into the limelight.

To be honest, nobody in the EU cares much anymore or at least not as much as we cared one year ago. COVID stole the limelight and won't give it back any time soon. Moreover, Brexit has de facto already happened, only the consequences are postponed. Unfortunately, we are already going to face a deep economic crisis and Brexit won't even be the driver behind it. What is important right now is that we will face it together because otherwise we would sink and die. UK chose to sink and die alone. At most we can pity them. These cheap primadonna moves won't change the fact that in the EU nobody cares anymore about BoJo's whims.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

15 hours ago, fraurosena said:

With a conspiracy theory hat on, this looks like a deliberate effort to get a no deal brexit, no matter the cost. Guess who profits the most from that scenario?

Without a conspiracy theory hat on, this looks like a deliberate effort. To what, I have no idea. Is he trying to call the EU's bluff? 

Why would he want a no deal Brexit though? I just can't see the benefit, then again I can't see the benefit of anything so obviously I'm not on the same wavelength. I'm assuming this move is basically for domestic consumption in some way, but I'm not sure whether he's trying to blame the EU for the inevitable downturn or just distract from it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Why would he want a no deal Brexit though? I just can't see the benefit, then again I can't see the benefit of anything so obviously I'm not on the same wavelength. I'm assuming this move is basically for domestic consumption in some way, but I'm not sure whether he's trying to blame the EU for the inevitable downturn or just distract from it.

Since the beginning the brexiteers have always maintained that the EU would beg for them to stay and that in order to convince them we would give them whatever they wanted. That wasn't going to happen ever, but while they were still a member state and there was no COVID there was still some room for negotiation. Now, not at all. So, what can Boris do? Put pressure on the only truly weak spot the EU has in this situation: Ireland. It already worked once so why not trying again? Unfortunately for him, this move only proves how desperate he is, unilateral infringment of a legally binding International treaty is a last resource move because it leaves UK's dependability in tatters. The EU won't budge but at least he will save face in front of his voters because he will blame the EU for it, of course.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

53 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Put pressure on the only truly weak spot the EU has in this situation: Ireland

I still think this is going to lead to at least one part of the UK leaving, more likely two.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

Conspiracy theory (note I do not subscribe to it) has it that just like Trump, BoJo is in some way indebted to Putin, who has motive enough to destabilise the UK and the EU as much as possible. I've also come across theories that BoJo stands to gain financially somehow. 

I don't think Putin is actively pushing BoJo to his actions (although he might be stirring the pot) and believe what @laPapessaGiovanna says is closer to the truth. The UK has always seen itself as more important to the EU than they are in reality. The realisation that their empire has collapsed and the might and power they once had in the world is all but gone hasn't quite hit them yet. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I still think this is going to lead to at least one part of the UK leaving, more likely two.

Imagine BoJo reuniting Ireland...Who would have guessed 10 years go? Nevermind 30 yrs ago! Scotland leaving sounds more probabile by the day.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4