IGNORED

Britain and Brexit business

AmazonGrace

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Maybe they could retitle it to The Rise and Fall of Liz Truss.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

This week has been the biggest series of wtaf moments in UK politics, culminating in the resignation. The fracking vote in particular (which was the final straw) was utterly insane. There's a good explanation in this tweet series:

Spoiler

I was reading through this in utter disbelief. And then it got even more insane.

Spoiler

Two things to add - 1. Tory MPs need to grow a spine, stand up and say "I'm voting against fracking on behalf of my constituents and if this means I'll be standing as an Independent so be it"; and 2. In 1974 the Governor-General of Australia (the Queen's representative) dissolved the legitimately elected government under circumstances that remain somewhat murky. This government is in more chaos than the Whitlam government (which was at least partially caused by the Fraser opposition) - pull your finger out Charles and call for a general election, even if you can't dissolve it yourself.

Also 3. For the love of sanity do not bring back Boris, wtah here people.

Edited by Ozlsn
Second thread was funny
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

On 10/22/2022 at 6:40 PM, Ozlsn said:

Also 3. For the love of sanity do not bring back Boris, wtah here people.

Well it looks like we don't have to worry about Boorish Johnson returning as PM.

Rishi Sunak is now all but guaranteed to become Britain's next prime minister after both the leading contenders considered his rivals in the race to replace Liz Truss pulled out before a single vote was cast among members of the Conservative party.

Considered a centrist and pragmatic politician, he emerged in the latest leadership contest as a safe pair of hands to guide the U.K., after Liz Truss' policy proposals around tax cuts and spending shook the government's credibility and spooked markets.

Sunak's rise in British politics has been nothing short of meteoric. After entering Parliament in 2015 after a career in banking, Boris Johnson appointed him just five years later as finance minister — a role formally known as chancellor of the Exchequer, the U.K.'s Treasury.

Sunak will be the first British Asian to become prime minister and the first nonwhite to take the top job. At 42, he'll also be the youngest prime minister in more than 200 years.

• Upvote 5

• 6 months later...

Wow, this is pretty pitiful. 

• WTF 3
  • Haha 4

• 11 months later...

Honestly what is it with publishers thinking the public are interested in a self-serving book written by someone who was really not suited for the job and who the public saw fail in real time?

Honestly I'd rather read Tories: End of an Error, at least that's likely to make me laugh on purpose.

• Upvote 3