IGNORED

Britain and Brexit business

AmazonGrace

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Conspiracy theory (note I do not subscribe to it) has it that just like Trump, BoJo is in some way indebted to Putin, who has motive enough to destabilise the UK and the EU as much as possible. I've also come across theories that BoJo stands to gain financially somehow. 

I don't think Putin is actively pushing BoJo to his actions (although he might be stirring the pot) and believe what @laPapessaGiovanna says is closer to the truth. The UK has always seen itself as more important to the EU than they are in reality. The realisation that their empire has collapsed and the might and power they once had in the world is all but gone hasn't quite hit them yet. 

The sad fact is that British colonialism has deep roots from medieval times, when they started the conquest and colonization of Ireland. Too many people in the UK still think they have an empire, and that members of the Commonwealth are united in nostalgia for British rule. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Former Prime Minister's John Major and Tony Blair have teamed up to condemn Boris and his plans to go forward with a Brexit deal that 'technically goes against international law' governments own words. The are citing the disasterous consequences this could have on the NI Peace Process, which both men were instrumental in bringing forward in the 1990s and also the fact that it may cause issues with the UK with other European countries. I didn't always agree with them when they PM but I respected them both and they are right to speak out against Boris and his power trip and the disasterous consequences this will have for the UK. 

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

'technically goes against international law' governments own words.

No 'technically' about it. It does. I guess Ireland and the EU could start sanctions? A hard trade border is exactly what the Brexiteers had in mind the entire time, right?

I cannot get over how completely clueless and arrogant Boris' mob are.  They might have been born and educated to rule, but they suck at it. I am seriously trying to work out what they think they will gain by this, other than votes.

It's not just this though, it's backflipping on the deal with France about borders a couple of months ago. It's the lack of any coherent plan - lots of slogans, but no policy. It's the willingness to destroy the last 30 years of progress (including by members of their own party) so they can raise their arms in a victory salute and pretend they achieved something.

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

@Italiangirl I wanted to congratulate you for dodging the Ceccardi bullet and the League didn't gain votes compared to 2015.

I am also happy that while Zaia got 76%, the League only got 16% (pretty embarrassing, for our American friends, it is as if a candidate got 76% but his party only got 16% of those votes), the mummy's party was around 2% (an honestly imbarrassing result) and the blonde fascist stopped at 9% (still too much but way lower than the 14% she was credited with). The message was clear: Zaia is fine because objectively he managed the coronavirus crisis really well and is generally more moderate than the rest of his party. But the hysterical fascists Salvini, Meloni and Berlusconi can't go away soon enough. Of course they won't get the message. Not that I expect the Democratic Party to see the light either, if the right wasn't so blatantly racist and fascist I doubt the PD would have so many votes.

I am just sorry for the referendum. It is ridiculous that out of spite for our political élites we decided to cut the number of our representatives. Makes zero sense. It is as if a child pissed at his mom purposely hurt himself. Childish at best, dangerously idiotic at worst.

Oh yeah, yesterday afternoon I was attached to the news till it was clear that Giani passed. With Zaia it was clear from the start he had gained so much vote that it was pretty impossible for someone else to win. Glad that Salvini took a brunt too he will be forced to be a little bit softer in his speeches now that is clear people don't trust him so much. I once heard Ceccardi spoken on tv when I was about to change the channel and was like "wait is this a real candidate? She had really said that??". I'm happy that Lega, FI, FDI, and their ilk, in general, are now forced to stop talking about Italiexit, they saw that BoJo is in deep trouble and Brexit has shrunk the Uk economy instead of stimulating, at least they shut up now.

Looking at the national result the only party who has gained some votes is one of the stupid blondies that aren't yet totally stupid sometimes is able to say something clear and not so wrong. The rest of the Fascists have pretty much loose votes. 

For the referendum, I have to say I'm happy that 30% had voted "no" at least the politics have seen many are still in doubt about this kind of show put up just to be able to say a party has done something that is being talked about by many many years here. It is easy to say something like "we want to cut privilege and be more like the good economy in the rest of Europe that have less professional politics" "if you agree to vite yeas there will be more resources for the citizen" 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

The EU is fed up with the UK's shenanigans.

• Upvote 1

Can I say I like Von Der Leyen more by the day? I always found Junker annoying, too full of himself, boisterous and with a bad habit of ridiculing opponents. At first I didn't like Von Der Leyen either, too German, too cold, not progressive. But I am starting to think she's the right person for the job right now. Decisive, not boisterous, with a talent for facilitating cooperation. Or so it seems, it's still early in her mandate, but I trust her more than I'd trust most European political leaders at the moment.

• I Agree 3

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I am mildly surprised that they've managed to come to an agreement on the Good Friday accords. Still stuck on fishing rights. 

• Upvote 3

Bye EU. Some of us are going to really miss you. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Yeah so this guy voted for Brexit and now his eel importing business is about to go out of business because it's harder for his customers in EU to get his eels delivered.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Yeah so this guy voted for Brexit and now his eel importing business is about to go out of business because it's harder for his customers in EU to get his eels delivered.

At least he finally realizes he shot himself in the foot.  How many Trump supporters are willing to do that?

• I Agree 3

So did the French truck drivers get out in time? Or are they still stuck on the motorway?

Sort of answering my own question - probably.

"The operators of the Channel Tunnel, also known as the Eurotunnel or “Chunnel,” told The Associated Press that the backlog is slowly clearing and around 1,200 trucks so far passed Thursday through the underwater railway passage that runs from England to France.

But some 5,000 drivers remained stranded at the Dover ferry crossing, and a Dover port spokeswoman said just about 700 trucks have departed."

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Insightful opinion piece on Brexit.

Historically, the usefulness for any embattled regime of the outside enemy is to unite "us" against "them". In theory, this is what Brexit should be doing. But it is not just true that it is has failed to unite the British "us". It has done precisely the opposite. It has both brought to the surface and solidified deep divisions – those between England and Scotland, but also those within England itself between young and old, the big cities and the provinces, those who embrace cultural openness and those who are repelled by it, those with access to third-level education and those without it.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

On 12/29/2020 at 3:13 PM, AmazonGrace said:

What an idiot. So many fools acting  like school children wanting to wave their little Union Jack flags around. They can still love England without leaving the EU. No logic or capability to listen to both sides of the argument before voting.  As my nana would have said ‘what a chump’. I have no sympathy for him at all. I do worry about him employees ( unless they also voted for Brexit). 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/24/2021 at 6:15 PM, AmazonGrace said:

So how is Brexit going? 

Not sure if a thread was started for Boris leaving and Liz Truss (eventually) coming in but I am really loving the tweets around it all right now. The UK situation not as much. To be fair I'm not sure how much has to do directly with Brexit and how much is other factors (covid, Ukraine war, etc) but it is certainly inspiring a lot of creativity. I particularly love this Yes Minister parody:

Click through for full thread or unroll here.

My favourite tweets so far though is this one

Spoiler

God knows what happens next. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

• 4 weeks later...

Well that was fast

British Prime Minister Liz Truss has announced her resignation following weeks of criticism from her opponents and members of own her Conservative Party and the resignation of two of her top Cabinet picks.

Truss said she will remain as prime minister until a successor is chosen. She said a leadership election will be completed within the next week.

She said she came into office at a time of great economic instability and was elected with a mandate for change, but, "I recognize though I cannot deliver the mandate."

Serving just six weeks in office, Truss is one of the shortest-serving premiers in British political history. A series of significant missteps meant that much of the political vision she outlined during her campaign for leader was ditched after seriously adverse reactions from financial markets.

She beat George Canning's record of 119 days set back in the early 1800s.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2