IGNORED

Kendra, Joe and Garrett Duggar, Part 10

Jellybean

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I think of it as being kind of like the fall of the Berlin wall in a way, for me. I was born in 1988 and the wall came down in 1989. I remember being totally flabbergasted when I realized this as a young teenager, because the fall of the Berlin Wall had always seemed like an historical event to me, definitely not something that had happened in my lifetime. I was alive during the end of the Cold War, but I didn't actually experience it because I was way too young to remember.

Good lord I am feeling ancient tonight reading this.  The Berlin wall came down when I was 17 my senior year of high school.  My friends had just returned from a language trip to Germany and it was utterly shocking to them to see the wall being sawed apart and broken actual days after they all walked along it in (former) West Berlin which was not former 2 weeks previous.   I was in college nearby when the Murrah building in OKC was bombed by a domestic terrorist militia idiot.  I was a journalism student and had a media pass to go down to the site ... it was devastating and inconceivable especially because of the daycare in the building ...    I was 29 and woke up to my friend screaming into my landline phone answering machine to "Get the hell up it's f****** World war 3"   By the time I got up and turned on the tv ... the first image I saw was Tower 1 going down   

It's weird to me now that all of this is history to so many of you.   Just like Vietnam and Watergate was to me.

16 minutes ago, freedomfromfrumpers said:

Good lord I am feeling ancient tonight reading this.  The Berlin wall came down when I was 17 my senior year of high school.  My friends had just returned from a language trip to Germany and it was utterly shocking to them to see the wall being sawed apart and broken actual days after they all walked along it in (former) West Berlin which was not former 2 weeks previous.   I was in college nearby when the Murrah building in OKC was bombed by a domestic terrorist militia idiot.  I was a journalism student and had a media pass to go down to the site ... it was devastating and inconceivable especially because of the daycare in the building ...    I was 29 and woke up to my friend screaming into my landline phone answering machine to "Get the hell up it's f****** World war 3"   By the time I got up and turned on the tv ... the first image I saw was Tower 1 going down   

It's weird to me now that all of this is history to so many of you.   Just like Vietnam and Watergate was to me.

The Oklahoma City bombing is actually one of the first news stories I remember, along with O.J. Simpson, and Jon Benet Ramsey.

I was in my grade 8 math class on 9/11 when we found out what was happening. I'll never forget that day, it's forever burned into my memory. We lived on the border and legitimately thought we might be a target. That was a rough transition from childhood to adolescence. 

I am surprised that Kendra is so outgoing with strangers after watching Counting On tonight. It encouraged me.

I don't remember the OKC bombing at all, even though I was living in Oklahoma at the time and my dad was close enough to hear it happen. He had actually had a meeting scheduled in the building and would have been there at the time of the bombing had his meeting not been rescheduled.

The first big news story I can remember was probably the 2000 election. I sat right behind George W Bush at one of the campaign rallies. (That was also the first time I saw the Duggars. The kids were on the stage sitting right next to me.)

I remember 9/11, but when I was watching some documentaries on the 10th anniversary I was surprised by how many details I had forgotten.

14 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

The Oklahoma City bombing is actually one of the first news stories I remember, along with O.J. Simpson, and Jon Benet Ramsey.

I was in my grade 8 math class on 9/11 when we found out what was happening. I'll never forget that day, it's forever burned into my memory. We lived on the border and legitimately thought we might be a target. That was a rough transition from childhood to adolescence. 

There is something about grade 8 ... that's clearly the worse of the options, but mine was watching the Challenger space shuttle blow up in live in science class.  Everyone was watching it because of the 1st teacher on board.

The first news story I remember was the 2000 election, too - I was in preschool and my older brother (all of 9 years old) told me that we had to vote for Bush because if Lieberman became vice president, Jews would be blamed for everything and then we would have to run away from America.

The next news story I remember is 9/11.

I was alive when Kennedy was assassinated...but too young to remember.  I do remember watching Neil Armstrong step onto the moon.

You guys should feel younger now.

I remember the Challenger breaking up and the Berlin Wall coming down. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. With the wall I remember worried on how the Soviet Union was going to respond. They always did before but this time they didn't. Seeing everyone so happy, hugging and then grabbing tools to take down the wall themselves. Columbine is burned into my memory every time school shooting its the one that always immediately comes to mind. 9/11 of course I was woken up by my mom calling and telling me about it. Nothing she said made any sense. 

I’m a 70s kid so I remember lots of things but have no recollection of others.

I was in primary school when the news about Chernobyl started filtering through and I remember being very scared - it affected me more than the Challenger explosion. I think I remember hearing something about John Lennon’s murder but I’m not sure whether it’s a real memory. The first historical event I’m sure I have true memories about is Charles and Diana’s wedding. 

For me the first big news item I remember was nationally when a fireworks-company got on fire and over 20 people died. I was 11 by then. 9/11 was 1,5 years after that and I think that was the first big international thing.

There are some other news stories that I really remember like the millenium bug and the transistion to the Euro-currency but they were no sudden unexpected items, just things that everyone talked about.

I was 13 when 9/11 happened - I remember coming home from school to see the twin towers collapsing on the TV and honestly assuming it was a movie. We were in the UK and obviously had the time difference, but i don't think the school mentioned it that day. We kids went into a total tailspin that evening though, and rinsed the dial-up internet discussing it all on MSN. It was a weird time. The 7/7 bombings brought it home for me, since they were in my own city and I was that much older.

First political event I remember was the death of the Labour leader John Smith in 1994, the Bosnian War, and all the IRA terrorism of the 90s. Other than that I was fixated on missing or murdered children, who were either over-represented in the 90s news cycle or I just took them to heart? My brother would have been about Jamie Bulger's age during that case, so perhaps that's why I was so disturbed by it. My parents had BBC Radio 4 on during breakfast so I got all my news from there - I remember my mum switching it off once or twice when it got a bit heavy. Or maybe just to avoid Thought For The Day.

Now that you say it @AprilQuilt, there was a very big case with missing and murdered girls in Belgium (and I am in the Netherlands, so it felt really close) in the 90's that really got to me. I was around 8 or 9 I think.

A couple of weeks late on the epidural discussion. I never had an epidural with all three of my births.

My husband however recently had emergency surgery (following surgery two days prior) to essentially save his life. For the 10hrs prior to surgery he lay on his left side. Post surgery and for the first week he had an epidural, in the end he had it turned down and down and eventually had to have it turned off because he still couldn’t feel his left hip/leg/foot. He spent the first 10 days bed bound, hes still (nearly a month post op) having trouble with that hip and leg. The physio said due to the fact that he had spent so long on his side before surgery it hadn’t allowed the epidural to work fully, then when he straightened out post surgery it all rushed to one area. One further complication that we didn’t need on top of everything else! 

8 hours ago, freedomfromfrumpers said:

That's pretty well me too. I was in high school when the wall came down - studying for exams when OKC happened. I was working when the WTC got hit. And I remember the no fly zones after that - and waking up at 3am hearing a helicopter. I called my poor boyfriend (now husband) because I was so freaked out. I hadn't heard ANY airplanes in days.

That whole "I remember where I was when..." thing always seemed so strange until I can vividly remember details of 9-11. What conference room we watched tv in, who was sitting with me, who turned to me and asked where the second tower was. All of that.

Although I'm not American, I clearly remember where I was during 9/11. I just came to my dorm after classes at uni, and my roommate asked me to come and see what was happening on tv. I sat on her bed (with my coat still on) and we watched the first tower in flames, wondering how such an accident was even possible. And then the second plane crashed right before our eyes, and we realized, in horror and disbelief, that this was no accident.

This all came vividly back to my mind when I visited Ground Zero in early 2015 in NYC. I wasn't prepared to how touching and sombering it was to see the water pools and falls right there, at that place, and random flowers placed beside some names of the victims. The flowers made the names turn into something more, into real human beings who once were alive, and who had loved ones, family, and hopes for their future. It was almost too much to handle.

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

Now that you say it @AprilQuilt, there was a very big case with missing and murdered girls in Belgium (and I am in the Netherlands, so it felt really close) in the 90's that really got to me. I was around 8 or 9 I think.

I remember that too! It was Marc Dutroux, wasn’t it? I still am scared when I think about it..

1 hour ago, BrandoBarks said:

I remember that too! It was Marc Dutroux, wasn’t it? I still am scared when I think about it..

Yes! I was super scared then, all the kids were I think.

9 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'm 24....am I...am I the youngest poster here?

I was sure I saw someone post a few weeks ago saying they were 18... but I may have hallucinated it!

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I was sure I saw someone post a few weeks ago saying they were 18... but I may have hallucinated it!

It seems us damn millennials are invading, lol. 

5 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

It seems us damn millennials are invading, lol. 

Well, an 18 Year old is not a millennial. And according to some researchers neither are you ;-)

7 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Well, an 18 Year old is not a millennial. And according to some researchers neither are you ;-)

I'd say a 24-year-old is a young millennial, but definitely still a millennial. An 18-year-old is definitely Gen Z, though.

The best definition I've heard for millennials is this: too young to remember the Challenger disaster, but old enough to remember 9/11. If you remember the Challenger, you're probably Gen X (or older). If you don't remember 9/11, you're probably Gen Z. (This is a general definition - I have a friend who was born in '92 who does not remember 9/11, but she's obviously still a millennial.)

37 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'm 24....am I...am I the youngest poster here?

I'm 23 :)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived