IGNORED

Kendra, Joe and Garrett Duggar, Part 10

Jellybean

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'd say a 24-year-old is a young millennial, but definitely still a millennial. An 18-year-old is definitely Gen Z, though.

The best definition I've heard for millennials is this: too young to remember the Challenger disaster, but old enough to remember 9/11. If you remember the Challenger, you're probably Gen X (or older). If you don't remember 9/11, you're probably Gen Z. (This is a general definition - I have a friend who was born in '92 who does not remember 9/11, but she's obviously still a millennial.)

Yes most researchers would consider 24 being a Millenial, but there are some that put 1993 or 1994 as the latest birth year. Start years can be between 1977 and 1983, so that kind of aligns with your rule.

Most used is 1980-1996 I think.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first real news story I remember is Jonestown. I watched the footage of the helicopter going over the site and all those bodies. That was in 1978. I was 13. I think up until that point, I never paid much attention to the news. 

12 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I am surprised that Kendra is so outgoing with strangers after watching Counting On tonight. It encouraged me.

Me too! She is very friendly and outgoing. 

I can remember the wars in Bosnia and Rwanda, I was about 6 at the time but the first major story's that I can remember where I was when I found out about were the Dunblane Massacre in 1996, I was just turning 9 and it freaked me out, due it happening so close to home. I was 10 when I remember going downstairs to watch children's BBC and my parents telling me that Princess Diana had died and all 5 channels, we didn't have cable, we news coverage that was repeating itself. My dad took me swimming.

31 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Yes most researchers would consider 24 being a Millenial, but there are some that put 1993 or 1994 as the latest birth year. Start years can be between 1977 and 1983, so that kind of aligns with your rule.

Most used is 1980-1996 I think.

So many people don’t realize this either. I can’t tell you how many millentials complain about “those damn millennials.” Then don’t believe me when I point out they ARE one. 

I was in kindergarten when 9/11 happened, and I only went to half-day afternoon kindergarten. Since the attack happened in the morning, there was a bit of chaos over whether there would still be school that afternoon. I just remember my mom watching the news a lot that morning and being confused about why I might not be going to school after lunch.

My family also flew fairly frequently when I was younger due to having family on the other side of the country. I remember the change from being able to walk right to the gate and watch people take off versus the increased security after 9/11.

36 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

The first real news story I remember is Jonestown. I watched the footage of the helicopter going over the site and all those bodies. That was in 1978. I was 13. I think up until that point, I never paid much attention to the news. 

That happened on my 12th birthday.

4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Wow. You won't forget the date. 

Yeah. A downer. But I feel sorrier for those who have birthdays on 9/11. My friend turned 40 that day. :(

I remember Queen Elizabeth 's coronation, 1953. Am I the oldest FJer here?

4 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yeah. A downer. But I feel sorrier for those who have birthdays on 9/11. My friend turned 40 that day. :(

That is a downer

My first news memory is the wall coming down, but I don't actually remember the news.  I remember my dad drawing a map on an airplane napkin and explaining why the wall was there and what it meant that it was coming down, does that count?

Does Baby Jessica in the well predate the wall? If so, that's my earliest big news memory.

ETA: I Googled and confirmed Baby Jessica predated the wall. 

56 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wow, I thought I was old ;-)

My earliest memory of a major tragedy was JFK assasination.  I was 10.  

31 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

My first news memory is the wall coming down, but I don't actually remember the news.  I remember my dad drawing a map on an airplane napkin and explaining why the wall was there and what it meant that it was coming down, does that count?

I just love how your parent took time to explain all this, and that it’s your earliest news memory. 

1st big news story I remember is Reagan being shot I was in 5th grade in we were walking out side from the band room to our class room when someone said "the president was shot".  I have a vague memory of him winning the election  the year prior, mostly because my parents were so excited and proud to be republicans.  I didn't have a flipping clue.

55 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

1st big news story I remember is Reagan being shot I was in 5th grade in we were walking out side from the band room to our class room when someone said "the president was shot".  I have a vague memory of him winning the election  the year prior, mostly because my parents were so excited and proud to be republicans.  I didn't have a flipping clue.

I remember that too - but only in a vague sense. I was in 1st grade and I drew him a picture and got a letter back. 

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Hurrah! I remember that too.  I won a tin of toffees in a running race at the Coronation Party in York ( I was 8) and all the children were given a coronation mug.  I still have mine.  Looky! (and I'm sorry but do not know how to adjust picture size.)

coronationa mug.JPG

Kendra and Lauren are Gen Z then. They're both too young to remember 9/11. Also, how sad is it that one is a mother and one may soon be pregnant. :( Fundamentalism blows! 

@felicitysbowI have that mug, and a book called Elizabeth our Queen which is  currently lost. I was 5 and won some sweets for singing at a children's party.

While I very clearly remember the bicentennial, I also remember the signing of the SALT II Treaty because I was off from school. The Blizzard of 78 happened when I was in kindergarten, and I remember being very frustrated that I couldn't go to school and I wasn't allowed to play outside because Mom was afraid should lose me at a snow drift. My dad, who was a factory worker, even was off when his plant was closed! I also very clearly remember when John Lennon was killed, as well as the assassination attempts on Ronald Reagan and the Pope. My parents watched The Evening News each night, so I did too. One of the things I remember being confused about was hearing about the guerrilla warfare in Central America. I thought they were talking about real gorillas, as in the primate, and wondered how these gorillas, like I saw in the zoo, carried guns!

5 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'm 24....am I...am I the youngest poster here?

21 here! And been on this site since I was 19. 

@Audrey2 I had the same sort of confusion in 1972 (8 years old) during the Munich Olympics when guerillas held hostage and killed Israeli athletes.  

My earliest memory of a major news event was the first lunar landing in July 1969, followed by the October Crisis in Quebec and Apollo 13 in 1970. I guess I can be categorized as the tail end of Boomers.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived