IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 33: In touch with gossip

samurai_sarah

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

:pb_lol: Not gonna lie, but I kind of love Daniel Tiger. My husband and I can’t stand Prince Wednesday though. He’s our least favorite character.

And for anyone needing a laugh, especially parents and caregivers familiar with DT, I present this phenomenal ranking of the characters:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/instafather/daniel-tigers-neighborhood-characters-ranked-1mg41?utm_term=.jo061nMxa#.jdrbJXQEV

Katerina Kitty Cat is the reason I turned this show off after 5 minutes and never let my kids watch it again. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Katerina Kitty Cat is the reason I turned this show off after 5 minutes and never let my kids watch it again. 

I’m honestly just sitting here wondering why Daniel and his dad don’t wear pants, but his mom does. Or why they wear pajama pants and swim trunks, but not normal pants. 

23 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m honestly just sitting here wondering why Daniel and his dad don’t wear pants, but his mom does. Or why they wear pajama pants and swim trunks, but not normal pants. 

This started to bug me too, and apparently we are not the only people to wonder:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/19-things-about-kids-shows-that-drive-parents-crazy?utm_term=.qm0BQnrZDw#.jf8ANgybZm

This is satire:  https://www.sammichespsychmeds.com/mom-sues-pbs-over-daniel-tigers-appalling-lack-of-pants/

But there is an actual petition to put pants on Daniel.  It has 57 supporters!

https://www.change.org/p/pbskids-pbs-put-pants-on-daniel-tiger-and-his-dad-07b6e68b-d980-48b4-b800-456dad9e924e

The justification for the petition is that Daniel's pantless condition might make it hard to potty train.  

This is not a petition to change a single thing EXCEPT to draw some pants on Daniel, his father, and grandfather. It seems like a silly request until you look at episodes when Daniel is using the potty or a pants-less father is in a tent camping with the children. An important part of potty training is learning to pull down your pants and since Daniel doesn't wear them, it's confusing for a child to just see him hop on the potty and go. As for the father, it's just plain creepy. I saw an interview with a creator of the show and she laughed off the comment about the lack of pants by saying "tigers don't wear pants." I would accept this response if not for the fact that Daniel's mother always wears pants. Daniel and his father also wear pants when they are in their pajamas or are in costume or overalls so I know they are fully capable. It's also weird when Daniel sleeps over at the castle and his Dad and Mom sleepover too...and the Dad isn't wearing pants. What the heck is going on at the castle! 

:laughing-jumpingpurple:

George Lucas got called into a meeting with the studio about Chewie's lack of pants when he was making A New Hope. He was worried going in thinking they didn't like it there was some big problem he hadn't realized and stunned to learn it was about Chewie not wearing pants. The studio was worried parents would be upset about that and not take their kids to see the movie.

4 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

George Lucas got called into a meeting with the studio about Chewie's lack of pants when he was making A New Hope. He was worried going in thinking they didn't like it there was some big problem he hadn't realized and stunned to learn it was about Chewie not wearing pants. The studio was worried parents would be upset about that and not take their kids to see the movie.

Don't they know Wookies will rip their arms off if they don't get their way?! 

On 6/12/2018 at 5:04 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

I didn’t even notice how she randomly meows until one of my friends brought it up! I was in the middle of doing laundry the other day and kind of had to pee but wanted to fold the last couple of things before I went. All of a sudden the “if you have to go potty STOP and go right away”    song popped into my head and now I curse Daniel Tiger for interfering with my productivity. 

7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Don't they know Wookies will rip their arms off if they don't get their way?! 

Wookiees don't wear pants.  Neither do cartoon tigers - unless they are female.

But the biggest fail about the Wookiees is that they have very visible zippers in their furry pelts.  How can kids believe in them?

Are we sure the show is coming back this month? I just watched a damn 2 hour show on TLC and they are not running any promos which seems odd. 

I've been thinking a lot about Michelle and her "addiction" to being pregnant/babies recently. These thoughts stem from my own experience with pregnancy so far.

Basically what I have noticed is that even in very secular circles pregnancy is generally perceived as something very positive and you receive a lot of social recognition and validation for it. People seem to genuinely care how you are. They smile at you, hold the doors open more often, offer their seats in public transport, are very helpful when you ask in random places (even stuffy unfriendly Belgian administration or gas stations where they normally ask you to pay) if you can use the bathroom, etc. You get to talk a lot about yourself, even people you rarely talk to suddenly become chatty and want to interact with you (not always positive, but still). Nobody objects if you refuse to do something or go somewhere because it's assumed you need to rest.

Side note: I am doing my best not to be an obnoxious pregnant woman, and I probably do a lot more than I should and don't rest enough or am too shy to ask for more than I absolutely need (like a seat on a bus that drives like crazy).

However, I have to admit that from a social perspective I find pregnancy super-pleasant. I can understand that it is something you can get used to and miss sorely once you have given birth and people side-eye you for lugging your screaming infant around ;)

Again - this is just my experience in an environment where women are not defined as babymachines and their worth is not measured by how many they have birthed for any religious figure. The recognition and status you receive for being pregnant and having babies in fundie world must amplify the positive experience immeasurably.

Long story short, I am not surprised that Michelle could have become addicted to being pregnant. Who knows, if I lived in the right (or rather: wrong) environment, I could become too....

(Who am I kidding? The way I know myself, birth and taking care of a newborn will serve as a wonderful antidote :D )

When I was pregnant the first time I got a lot of disapproving looks because I was short with a round face and was always being told I looked like I was about 15.  My boyfriend was a large man with a full beard and looked like he was in his 30's.  In reality I was 21 and he was 26 when our first child was born.  I actually had to fend off a woman in the restroom of a pizza parlor because she wanted to let me know that I was too young to be having sex, much less having a baby, and my parents should be ashamed to let me continue to see the obviously much older dude that impregnanted me.

Once, we ran out of gas and my boyfriend left me with the vehicle while he hoofed it to his cousin's house.  As I stood in the twilight in the poring rain, cars would slow down and then speed off.  When I complained to the cousin later on, he laughed and said he didn't want to stop for me either, because I looked like I was far enough along to be in labor and presumably no one wanted to deliver a stranger's baby.  That hurt my feelings because I still had two months to my due date.

I got treated much nicer with my subsequent pregnancies; apparently by then I looked old enough to be pregnant without shame.

@Flossie did you tell that woman in the toilet to go fuck herself & mind her own judgey business?  I hate people like that, like my mother, who got all snitty at my brother's HS graduation when a gal walked across the stage 9 months pregnant (she gave birth 1 week after graduation) and said "she should be ashamed of herself, the little whore. "  I turned to her and and said "NO, YOU should be ashamed of yourself, and minding your own GD business, she's graduated from HS despite bitches like you calling her a whore." My mom was so pissed at me and then really embarrassed when the pregnant girls MOTHER (who was seated right behind us) leaned forward to thank me for sticking up for her daughter, and scolded my mother and told her how proud she was of her daughter for making the most of a less than situation. 

That pregnant girl went on to marry the baby daddy and they had 2 more kids, have one of the more successful dance studios in the state AND are still married 27 years later, while my mother was divorced at 25 years of marriage. 

11 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@Flossie did you tell that woman in the toilet to go fuck herself & mind her own judgey business? 

No.  I wanted to appear calm and mature, so I merely told her that I was almost 21 and my baby's father was almost 26, that we had both graduated from high school and I went to college while he spent four years in the military.  My family wasn't given a vote in my sex life because I hadn't lived with either of my parents since I was 18, and I was happy that my baby would be born at all since at first it was thought that I might be having a tubal pregnancy.  

Then I said that I was aware that I looked very young for my age and it would be an advantage when I was still being carded when I was 35.  As for my boyfriend, after four years of close shaves (military rules), if he wanted to grow a beard I wasn't going to stop him, although I wondered if he'd start shaving more often when our baby was old enough to tug at his beard.

Miss Judgy Pants stood there and took it.  She had a girl with her that I took to be her daughter, and that girl watched the whole thing with her mouth open.  I got the feeling that her mother didn't get spoken to like that very often.  After I got back to my table I saw her join her group where she avoided looking in our direction for the rest of the evening.  I actually felt pretty proud of myself.

12 hours ago, Flossie said:

No.  I wanted to appear calm and mature, so I merely told her that I was almost 21 and my baby's father was almost 26, that we had both graduated from high school and I went to college while he spent four years in the military.  My family wasn't given a vote in my sex life because I hadn't lived with either of my parents since I was 18, and I was happy that my baby would be born at all since at first it was thought that I might be having a tubal pregnancy.  

Then I said that I was aware that I looked very young for my age and it would be an advantage when I was still being carded when I was 35.  As for my boyfriend, after four years of close shaves (military rules), if he wanted to grow a beard I wasn't going to stop him, although I wondered if he'd start shaving more often when our baby was old enough to tug at his beard.

Miss Judgy Pants stood there and took it.  She had a girl with her that I took to be her daughter, and that girl watched the whole thing with her mouth open.  I got the feeling that her mother didn't get spoken to like that very often.  After I got back to my table I saw her join her group where she avoided looking in our direction for the rest of the evening.  I actually felt pretty proud of myself.

That's even better.  I like to think I'm mature but I'm petty AF. LOL!! 

On 6/10/2018 at 11:40 PM, Bethella said:

I'm an only child and I still get the wrong names, usually my aunts' names but occasionally I get the dogs' names too.

I only have one, and I call him the dogs name... and vice versa, lol

this may be the shortest birthday message ever by a Duggar but it's actually pretty nice. 

Happy birthday to our first grandson, Michael! These seven years have gone by so quickly!! We love you sweetheart!

6 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

this may be the shortest birthday message ever by a Duggar but it's actually pretty nice. 

Poor Michael. He's not precious. He doesn't have a servant's heart. He doesn't love the Lord. 

/sarcasm

So for those who are interested:

I went to the Value Advocacy Council evening tonight at San Jose since I live nearby where Michelle and Jim-Bob were giving their speech. Nothing what they said was knew but they had a special guest who was sitting in the last row: Bill Gothard!

That did surprise me though. They also did a lot of speech for the seminars for the basic life principles.

7 hours ago, neurogirl said:

@freejoy What was the crowd like and how big? Did people know who BG was?

And did they know BG was going to be there or acknowledge him at all?

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived