IGNORED

Maxwell 20: Fun just dies

samurai_sarah

Realizing Sarah is almost 40 makes me even angrier with Stevehovah for doing all of this to his family. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dripcurl said:

I feel like he is broken by the military, yet he uses those methods to continue to break himself and his family for a different cause. It is very twisted and sad. 

I think he was broken by something.  Possibly something in the military.

But possibly because his parents divorced and he has never understood it or forgiven them.  I'd welcome correction on this but I think Steve volunteered (as opposed to was drafted) into Vietnam.  He was also not infantry but airforce based elsewhere, IIRC.  Yes, there is a distinction as to how vets experienced Nam.

He got his further education from being a vet and still seems to worship the military, while not encouraging any of his sons to join.  God forbid.

I think he is royally fucked up, but by what we do not know.

12 hours ago, meee said:

Honestly, I'm not convinced. I don't know one brand of conservative Christianity from another, so I can't say that Steve is literally Quiverfull, but in these "have large families, eschew birth control whenever possible" type movements, they don't just want children, they want grandchildren.

Steve's sons are doing a great job providing grandchildren.  I think there are about 12 now?  And John and Chelsy haven't even gotten started yet  (or have they??).  Steve and Teri could easily have over 30 grandchildren just from those four married sons alone.

Plus those grands all have the last name Maxwell, live very nearby, and all seem to attend the church of Stevehova. 

If his daughters marry and have kids, chances are they won't be living nearby, and won't be regular attendees and his "church".

9 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm not sure this is true.  I think perceptions may have been skewed because the Duggars and Bateses have been busily marrying off child brides recently.  My perception is that most Fundie brides are married off in their early to mid-twenties, and usually (but not always) to the first bidder.   Where's @Bethella when I need her?  She keeps the stats!  

This is based off a very incomplete data set, but the average age of marriage for fundy females is 23.6 years old and for fundy males is 24.5 years old.

21 hours ago, kpmom said:

If his daughters marry and have kids, chances are they won't be living nearby, and won't be regular attendees and his "church".

that's big IF....

Steve is the biggest control freak I have ever seen and I think it would be impossible for him to cede the control of his daughter(s) to another man.  I mean, what if he let her sleep past 6am, or wear buttons that contrast with the color of the shirt she's wearing. or allowed her to have unscheduled free time?!  The best chance for any of the girls to get married is for Steve to die before they get much older, especially Sarah.  Although there were two Bradrick sisters who got married in their mid-to late 30's, so there's still some hope for her. 

Wait, what? They can't have buttons that don't match their blouse? WHY? White buttons are pretty standard on a lot of shirts and blouses... but I suppose they would call attention to the chestal area... instead of the face.

These people are so fuckin' weird.

5 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Wait, what? They can't have buttons that don't match their blouse? WHY? White buttons are pretty standard on a lot of shirts and blouses... but I suppose they would call attention to the chestal area... instead of the face.

The "chestal area" is about how he would say it!! love it!

18 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Yup, it draws attention to those things in the upper section of the torso.  Also why shirts that have pictures or writing on them are immodest and the girls can't wear them.

11 minutes ago, punkiepie said:

Yup, it draws attention to those things in the upper section of the torso.  Also why shirts that have pictures or writing on them are immodest and the girls can't wear them.

Because Steve might notice his daughters have breasts and then he'd CRY.

Worse, other men might notice they have breasts and then Steve would also cry.

Because he's the sort of fundy who is sex-obsessed, and can't seem to realize the rest of the world really doesn't spend 24/7 worrying about "temptations" and "sin". He doesn't seem to realize that most men are able to go about their lives just fine without weeping (or turning into slavering horndogs) at the sight of a little cleavage. Apparently he has very little control of his body, including his eyes. Poor Steve.

31 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Because Steve might notice his daughters have breasts and then he'd CRY.

Worse, other men might notice they have breasts and then Steve would also cry.

Because he's the sort of fundy who is sex-obsessed, and can't seem to realize the rest of the world really doesn't spend 24/7 worrying about "temptations" and "sin". He doesn't seem to realize that most men are able to go about their lives just fine without weeping (or turning into slavering horndogs) at the sight of a little cleavage. Apparently he has very little control of his body, including his eyes. Poor Steve.

You are very right!  The infamous Eye Traps! immediately comes to my mind.  Teri was helping the kids with a homeschool assignment on modesty, and the materials provided to them showed them examples of things that drew the eyes away from the face and down towards the unmentionable areas.  This perplexed Teri because she hadn't considered some of these to be immodest, so she immediately took it her wise very husband, where he told her, yes indeed, each and every one of them were all Eye Traps! to the men.  One of the examples provided was a slit in a denim skirt, meant to allow easier freedom of movement, but really just draws your eyes to the female's lusty leg.  So yes, it seems like it's Steve who has the issues. 

ETA:  This is also when they decided that the contrasting buttons were immodest, in addition to anything that had a seam near the waist so that the waist was emphasized, and jewelry/accessories that drew your attention down- this is why if you see the girls wearing a necklace, it's always a choker.  Plus the regular stuff like no shoulders, nothing clingy, no collarbones, and high back lines too.

I had a Prissy Chris moment today.  My boss was showing me pictures of her granddaughter for her first communion.  The girl was adorable but the pics left a lot to be desired.  Part of her dress was cut off in one, the background didn't suit her dress and there was a floor grate showing in another.  Boss hopes they weren't taken by a professional.

45 minutes ago, punkiepie said:

Teri was helping the kids with a homeschool assignment on modesty, and the materials provided to them showed them examples of things that drew the eyes away from the face and down towards the unmentionable areas.  This perplexed Teri because she hadn't considered some of these to be immodest, so she immediately took it her wise very husband, where he told her, yes indeed, each and every one of them were all Eye Traps! to the men.  One of the examples provided was a slit in a denim skirt, meant to allow easier freedom of movement, but really just draws your eyes to the female's lusty leg.  So yes, it seems like it's Steve who has the issues. 

This must have been in their ATI days because that is actually a Wisdom Book activity. 

http://www.recoveringgrace.org/2015/12/an-ati-education-chapter-3-thou-shalt-not-trap-the-eye/

On 5/6/2018 at 2:27 PM, Palimpsest said:

However, it may be that he is fervently praying that Sarah, Anna and Mary can find husbands, but also believes that God will drop them on his doorstep tomorrow.

Sorry, Steve.  It doesn't work that way.  If he wants them to get married he needs to get proactive and put some effort into it.  Right now, his daughters are scared to be around men,  scared to show interest, and he keeps them away from most situations where they could meet men.  They aren't going to meet them at Nursing Home Church, for sure.  Also, as already noted, Anna and Mary scuttled off to take care of little kids when at a wedding loaded with eligible bachelors.

I think we give Steve way too much credit in self-awareness in his hesitation to marry off his daughters. I think on the surface he does want them to get married, but being Steve and having zero self-awareness or reflection, he doesn't realize that never allowing them to talk to anyone is bit of a hindrance to that.  I also think there's some feelings of ownership, fear, and sex issues (especially in regards to women) subconsciously playing into things as well. 

So Steve is basically taking the Arndt approach-- some eligible, homeschooled, non-sport watching Fundy man touring Leavenworth to buy a property outright will get his truck stuck in a ditch outside their house one evening, ring the doorbell, see a daughter descending the staircase in her gored denim skirt and BAM: Courtship. And all of Steve's issues with control and prudishness will magically dissipate and all doctrinal beliefs between the two families will line up perfectly.

Where things do differ from the Arndts is that there are two hurdles to get over: giving the women the opportunity to socialize and teaching them how to socialize, especially with men. The Arndts are such a mystery because they are gregarious, friendly, have hobbies, and understand most cultural touchstones. I think Sarah and Anna struggle to even make eye contact with a man who isn't immediate family. They could join a Christian singles group but wouldn't even know what to do with themselves or how to hold a conversation about, well, anything.

Anna and Mary are wearing t-shirts with pictures on in the bike ride photo. I can’t tell, but they look like moose heads. Perhaps pictures are OK if they’re harmless animals, or a generic message like “LOVE” or similar. There are also some other photos with the girls in graphic-type t shirts. 

One of us, way back when, mentioned that Teri puts the toothpaste on Steve’s toothbrush for him before he gets ready for bed, and said that’s something Thai sex workers do for their clients. Steve, as I recall, was in the Air Force and stationed in southeast Asia back in the day. Is he consumed with guilt over his young horndog days? 

28 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Anna and Mary are wearing t-shirts with pictures on in the bike ride photo. I can’t tell, but they look like moose heads. Perhaps pictures are OK if they’re harmless animals, or a generic message like “LOVE” or similar. There are also some other photos with the girls in graphic-type t shirts. 

Yes, they have eased up on the clothing rules a bit since their homemade frumper days.  They used to make all the girls' clothes, and forbid anything that drew attention to the chest like shirts with pictures, words, and contrasting buttons.  They still double up on t-shirts as far as I can tell.   A single layer would be immodest!

24 minutes ago, Hane said:

One of us, way back when, mentioned that Teri puts the toothpaste on Steve’s toothbrush for him before he gets ready for bed, and said that’s something Thai sex workers do for their clients. Steve, as I recall, was in the Air Force and stationed in southeast Asia back in the day. Is he consumed with guilt over his young horndog days? 

Yes, but he's never told us anything about it!  As Air Force he could have been stationed in S. Vietnam, Laos, or Thailand - even close to Bangkok.  We have no idea what he did there.  

Also, Steve fibs when he says he wasn't raised in a Christian home.  His parents were just not Fundie Christian enough for Steve.  As a good little Christian boy, I expect he was shocked by military life in general.

Dammit, now I have an earworm.  You have to share my pain.

♪♫♬One night in Bangkok and Steve's world crumbled
The bars are temples but their women ain't free
He found a girl in every golden cloister
And if he was lucky, then the girl's a she
He could feel an hooker slidin' on his knee

One night in Bangkok and the Maxwell stumbled
Not much between control and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the Christian tumbled
He wasn't picky about his company
He felt the devil walking there you see♪♫♬

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I think we give Steve way too much credit in self-awareness in his hesitation to marry off his daughters. I think on the surface he does want them to get married, but being Steve and having zero self-awareness or reflection, he doesn't realize that never allowing them to talk to anyone is bit of a hindrance to that.  I also think there's some feelings of ownership, fear, and sex issues (especially in regards to women) subconsciously playing into things as well. 

So Steve is basically taking the Arndt approach-- some eligible, homeschooled, non-sport watching Fundy man touring Leavenworth to buy a property outright will get his truck stuck in a ditch outside their house one evening, ring the doorbell, see a daughter descending the staircase in her gored denim skirt and BAM: Courtship. And all of Steve's issues with control and prudishness will magically dissipate and all doctrinal beliefs between the two families will line up perfectly.

Where things do differ from the Arndts is that there are two hurdles to get over: giving the women the opportunity to socialize and teaching them how to socialize, especially with men. The Arndts are such a mystery because they are gregarious, friendly, have hobbies, and understand most cultural touchstones. I think Sarah and Anna struggle to even make eye contact with a man who isn't immediate family. They could join a Christian singles group but wouldn't even know what to do with themselves or how to hold a conversation about, well, anything.

I think you are likely right. And the women provide income and other services that Steve and Teri could not enjoy if the three get married off.

4 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I think you are likely right. And the women provide income and other services that Steve and Teri could not enjoy if the three get married off.

Not only do the women do the majority of the housework and cooking, but they also are support staff for the various  business enterprises.  Doing the accounts, mailing out the books, and so on. It is also possible that Sarah's stupid Moody books are the most successful of all their books.

So perhaps it is more Arndt-like than we think these days.  The children are supporting the parents.

2 hours ago, punkiepie said:

You are very right!  The infamous Eye Traps! immediately comes to my mind.  Teri was helping the kids with a homeschool assignment on modesty, and the materials provided to them showed them examples of things that drew the eyes away from the face and down towards the unmentionable areas.  This perplexed Teri because she hadn't considered some of these to be immodest, so she immediately took it her wise very husband, where he told her, yes indeed, each and every one of them were all Eye Traps! to the men.  One of the examples provided was a slit in a denim skirt, meant to allow easier freedom of movement, but really just draws your eyes to the female's lusty leg.  So yes, it seems like it's Steve who has the issues. 

ETA:  This is also when they decided that the contrasting buttons were immodest, in addition to anything that had a seam near the waist so that the waist was emphasized, and jewelry/accessories that drew your attention down- this is why if you see the girls wearing a necklace, it's always a choker.  Plus the regular stuff like no shoulders, nothing clingy, no collarbones, and high back lines too.

I believe Terri took the girls to an airport or some place to judge women in person for all their eye traps. They were able to see that perfectly lovely women were actually dirty whores leading all the men astray with their contrasting buttons and pockets. 

I’m going to let the pictures mostly tell the story with a little explanation below each.

This is like when you plug shit in google translate and you get a weird awkward sentence back

3 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

I believe Terri took the girls to an airport or some place to judge women in person for all their eye traps. They were able to see that perfectly lovely women were actually dirty whores leading all the men astray with their contrasting buttons and pockets. 

I think they were still all going to a regular church at this point, too, because around this time Sarah began noticing the other girls at church also wore eye traps and did things to bring attention to themselves. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Anyone else notice Melanie’s sister wearing PANTS?!

I saw that!  Was happy to see it. 

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Anyone else notice Melanie’s sister wearing PANTS?!

Excuse me for not fainting - but she has done so for years. 

Melanie's family is comparatively mainstream.  We know that and have rejoiced in the ABCs having access to pants wearing women many times.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived