IGNORED

Maxwell 20: Fun just dies

samurai_sarah

21 minutes ago, NeckPunch said:

The Mother's day post is up! It is actually quite sweet, with lots of old photos.

The grammatical errors, on the other hand, are totally cringe worthy. Sarah really is a terrible writer.

I agree there are lots of lovely old photos.  But there is one with a pregnant Terri standing in profile wearing a blue skirt and blue plaid shirt.  I am assuming she is pregnant with a reversal.  She looks exhausted and broken.  I have never really felt the sympathy others have felt for Terri until that photo.   For me, that photo seemed to summarize the hopelessness of her untreated depression.  

Steve.  A loving husband does not stand between his depressed wife and effective treatment.  A loving husband does not condemn his wife to years of untreated depression.  

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, all you mothers out there.  Guilt trip your children today!

Mothering definitely costs. It is the sacrifice of yourself.

No pleasure in it at all.

Nathan, Christopher, and I look pretty charming here, but there was a reason after three, Dad and Mom thought they should be done.

Stress and depression.

Mom invested so much in us: making days special, going on fieldtrips and to the park, countless hours of wonderful read-aloud times, giving us an amazing education, baking with us, and the list goes on.

It is called half-way decent parenting and bad homeschooling.

Even when it took extra time, Mom included her littles as she worked in the kitchen.

What a saint.  She could have worked much faster but those kids got in the way.

While these cuties look charming, they were quite the handful! 

Children are a badly behaved curse from the Lord ...

Jump forward to enjoying the blessings of grandchildren! LOVE this group!

Teri reads with the ABCs for a whole hour every Monday.

Sarah's post is a lot better than the Boyer Sisters chucking their Mom under the bus, however.

Happy Mother's Day to Poor Sarah.  She was the one who raised the reversals, not Griselda Teri.

On 5/13/2018 at 5:09 AM, daisyjane1234 said:

I agree there are lots of lovely old photos.  But there is one with a pregnant Terri standing in profile wearing a blue skirt and blue plaid shirt.  I am assuming she is pregnant with a reversal.  She looks exhausted and broken.  I have never really felt the sympathy others have felt for Terri until that photo.   For me, that photo seemed to summarize the hopelessness of her untreated depression.  

Steve.  A loving husband does not stand between his depressed wife and effective treatment.  A loving husband does not condemn his wife to years of untreated depression.  

Here's one of her pregnant with Smug Joe:

img036-2-191x300.jpg

Teri doesn’t seem to smile in a large sort of way. My mom is the same. Her smiles in pictures are so small. It’s just how she fake smiles I guess. Now if you get her to laugh it’s a big smile. 

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Sarah's post is a lot better than the Boyer Sisters chucking their Mom under the bus, however.

That is a very nice tribute to her mom, even if it paints a much prettier picture than reality.  I was looking at some of the homeschool links that were posted recently and Teri's school plans seemed to be all about making life easy for mom, with not much concern for learning or teaching methods. Still, it is Mothers Day, I would expect nothing less than a generous post on a public blog.

I'm still shocked at the Boyer blog! I still can't believe anyone would do that! Why?!!

A nice blog post (if a little delusional about how unhealthy their family dynamic is), but you can also watch the life slowly leave Teri's eyes. I half expect her to be holding up a newspaper like in hostage photos in some of the reversal pregnancy photos. 

3 kids was still a lot of work and a wonderful family size, in my opinion. I'm still not sure why Steve wasn't satisfied. Leave Teri alone, Steve! 

Oh my.  Teri looks just delighted (sarcasm, of course) to be pregnant again in that photo.  Joseph was her first reversal so I can only imagine she's wondering what she got into and how many more of these pregnancies she'll have to endure.

Her smiles today are much wider and genuine.  I get the feeling she's very happy today.

11 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

3 kids was still a lot of work and a wonderful family size, in my opinion. I'm still not sure why Steve wasn't satisfied. Leave Teri alone, Steve! 

So much this!!  Steve probably felt he need more children to prove he was a man!  

8 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

"Feeding the ducks"? Those look like geese to me. 

Yes, those "ducks" are Canada geese.  Around here they are regarded as pests and people are not encouraged to feed them.

I didn't get that people are NOT appreciative of geese in other parts of the country.  Here they are a wonderful harbinger of spring and late fall, when you hear them overhead and than spot them high in the sky.  Then we were in Pittsburgh a few years ago and I realized they poop up a storm in public spaces and on sidewalks.  Not quite as charming! 

@Howlhe problem is that they take up residence in city parks year round. And the poop is disgusting.   They are also big pests around airports.  Many cities now have "geese police" (trained Border Collies) who chase them off without hurting them.   The dogs are very cool in action.

In the early photos when they were still playing sports and in school, those look like fun, normal family photos before Steve went off the rails, I see a huge difference in the kids as the photos grow with more kids. 

My feelings on Terie are complicated. I do agree she seems much happier now that her kids are grown.  I also think she has had to go thru years of depression with no help for it and that makes me sad for her. But she’s pushed her way of thinking (that helps her get thru the day) onto other moms and make it seem like motherhood shouldn’t be fun or enjoyable. I think the earlier photos of when it was the first 3 kids, she looks happy even if tired. It looks like she did try to be fun and be creative even if it didn’t come naturally. But then Steve went to the dark side and forced Terie to go with him. I think she struggled to get through each day with 8 kids. I think although she loves her grandkids they wear her out easily and she can only be around all of them when the daughters or daughters in law are around. On her own it’s probably 2-3 tops than she can handle. 

Sarah, you HAVE to explain what is going on in the header photo on that post! Please tell me teenage Nathan and Chris were not made to make paper bag costumes and pose with them. 

And yes, I’m very surprised Terie once made detailed decorated cakes. She can’t make soup by herself now. 

On 5/11/2018 at 2:15 PM, MamaJunebug said:

Around here, she’d be described as “on the backside of 30,” not that I listen to country music anymore. 

T

The Backside of Thirty...

Spoiler

"And back on my own"... Sarah has NEVER been out on her own!

The first picture of Sarah and Teri is adorable. And I agree- Teri looks unhappy or is very subdued in most of the other photos. :my_sad:

7 hours ago, Coconutwater said:

In the early photos when they were still playing sports and in school, those look like fun, normal family photos before Steve went off the rails, I see a huge difference in the kids as the photos grow with more kids. 

Yeah, the three older Maxwell kids look like typical 1980s kids in those early photos. More importantly, I see real smiles.

Wow...I forgot about the large population of fundies in Alaska. Bet my last $1 that the bride made her dress. So Chris had money to fly to Alaska?? I will never wrap my mind around how he pays for things. 

Sarah looks so much like Teri. 

Man, there were pictures where she seemed so broken, like a light went out, it was hard to see even if I don't like her. Made me feel bad for her, fuck you Steve. 

2 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Wow...I forgot about the large population of fundies in Alaska. Bet my last $1 that the bride made her dress. So Chris had money to fly to Alaska?? I will never wrap my mind around how he pays for things. 

The bride was Maryanna Buckingham (one of the Buckingham-Hales of Papa Pilgrim fame). The families go back pretty far, IIRC Steve and Jim Buckingham were in the military together.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived