IGNORED

Erin and Chad 3: Welcoming Baby Everly

Jellybean

Regarding Erin and painting the house:

1. The room was originally painted pink. 

2. It was painted dark green in January 2015, about four months BEFORE Carson was born:

3. Their living room was repainted in February 2016, six months before Brooklyn was born:

Spoiler

4. Kitchen was updated in April 2016, four months before Brooklyn was born:

Spoiler

5. And their bedroom was painted the current color sometime prior to June 2016 - again, before Brooklyn was born:

Spoiler

I don’t believe they’ve changed the paint inside since then. I think they’ve mostly just switched out decorations and possibly changed some furniture (though they did change out the kitchen counters early last year.) If true, that means they had no more than one child and one on the way while painting. 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Hisey said:

I can't think what steps you'd skip. I mean, you have to haul the furniture out. Ypu have to have tarps to protect the floor. You have to use painters tape to protect the ceiling and trim. You have to remove the painters tape and tarps when the paint is dry. You have to bring all the furniture back.

My hub painted our bedroom while I was in bed with a busted leg. He moved stuff off the wall, painted it, moved it back, moved to the next wall. I think it took him 3-4 hours to do it, including the trim. I watched TV the whole time. 

I’ve skipped the tape by using a good quality brush and going a little slowly. Better brushes let you make a straigher line.  I can usually do a room in a weekend.  The first day is mostly prep—clear out small items, dust and vacuum, move big items away from walls, any taping.  I use an old sheet for a tarp so it moves around the room with me.  Then spend about three hours paining.  Day two is tape removal, wallpaper borders (yes, I still use them), and putting things back.  I’m usually done by lunchtime.  

90% of the time I paint, I don't tape. A good brush and a steady hand is all you need for a straight edge. And a few spirit wipes for the floor for the odd drip. 

On 9/27/2018 at 11:07 PM, Hisey said:

Really? I paint a lot--I mean a lot. If anything, I left stuff out of that list, that I'd ordinarily do. Painting is all about preparation. The actual painting part is pretty quick.

I can't think what steps you'd skip. I mean, you have to haul the furniture out. Ypu have to have tarps to protect the floor. You have to use painters tape to protect the ceiling and trim. You have to remove the painters tape and tarps when the paint is dry. You have to bring all the furniture back.

I suppose you don't need to get samples of a couple of paint colors and try them out. You could just use paint chips to pick a color. But that's the only step that you could skip, IMO.

The worst part about painting is the clean up. I have ad a swatch hanging on my bedroom wall for 6 weeks, my hubs has gotten all the supplies down and I cannot follow through. Just too much prep and clean up for me to get started. I agree with your list.

3 hours ago, bal maiden said:

90% of the time I paint, I don't tape. A good brush and a steady hand is all you need for a straight edge. And a few spirit wipes for the floor for the odd drip. 

What about the potential , errant spray from a roller?

If Chad can paint fast, Erin might also just take the kids somewhere for the day/night while he does it. It’s not a big deal. 

She obviously enjoys decorating and she does it on the cheap. If it brings her pleasure why not. Though I agree that house/flipping would be a good fit for them between Chad’s handiness and Erin’s love of design. 

On 9/29/2018 at 4:02 PM, SassyPants said:

The worst part about painting is the clean up. I have ad a swatch hanging on my bedroom wall for 6 weeks, my hubs has gotten all the supplies down and I cannot follow through. Just too much prep and clean up for me to get started. I agree with your list.

What about the potential , errant spray from a roller?

It's not just the painting. It's getting a ladder, climbing up, taking down the curtains (and doing it in reverse later). It's moving the big, heavy dresser away from the wall. It's crawling on the floor to unplug the lamp and moving the nightstand.

And that's the painting.. She also replaced the curtains, bedding, wall hangings, etc.

All this while you are pregnant and have infants? I really wonder whether anyone else commenting here changed their bedroom 3-4 times while having 3 babies in 3 years. I mean, anyone can paint a room, but painting a room with toddlers sounds like a special kind of hell.

And if I were a SAHM with a hubby working full time to support me and the kids, I wouldn't think of asking him to re-paint the bedroom AGAIN. I'd tell him to take a load off and watch the ballgame, or do something else he enjoyed.

Brooklyn looks so much like Chad, Carson is so much like Erin, and Everly is growing like a weed!

Some of the photos (the one where Carson is kissing Brooklyn's hand) they look like those greeting cards that have kids posed in weirdly adult ways on them....

Gorgeous kids but I cannot imagine how much time she spends on posing. 

CarVan better hurry up and get hitched so we can start critiquing their decorating choices.

15 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Gorgeous kids but I cannot imagine how much time she spends on posing. 

Having raised kids myself, I can answer that these kind of photoshots tend to be short. If toddlers are happy (or bribed with sweets, as Erin did), you can really take nice pictures in a short time. Little kids are not like adults, most of their pictures are going to look well as long as they are in a good mood. If you look at the pictures, only the one with the 3 kids on the blanket is really posed. The others, with the kids running/standing on the garden are easier to take, because they are moving and probably playing/running between shots.

I know that Bates way of raising children is too strict and even cruel, based on Kelly's advice (which we can't be sure Erin is following). And they seem to be always posing for pictures. But, as I said before, in my experience photoshots can be really easy, specially if they are not scheduled. I mean: Erin can wake up, see it's a beautiful day, put the kids in nice clothes and just go out to the garden with the camera. Then Brook starts complaining and gets a chocolate. More pictures. Then go to play.

Whoops, just posted about painting in the general Bates thread, came here and realized the conversation was already exhausted. Painting frustrated the hell out of us when we moved into our house, maybe because my husband is a perfectionist - all the tape, wall washing first, layer of primer, edging, and sometimes ceiling painting. I once asked if we could repaint our living room and he said "no way". Maybe I should have Chad come over?

On 5/28/2018 at 3:05 PM, Granwych said:

I grew up with my mother telling me I was her best friend, her psychiatrist, etc. etc.  I really needed a mother, dammit, not a whining, spineless excuse of a parent, and I pay for that daily.

This.  I 100% relate to this.  She turns round now and says she cares because she is my mother... and in my head I am screaming it's about 20 years too late. 

We painted three rooms in our house before we moved in. So no furniture. We were planning to put new floors in so didn’t care to cover the floors. We took the frames of and only taped around windows, radiators and light fixtures. It was still a pain. And it could look better up by the celing. I’m not changing it again though. Now there is way too much stuff to move around. :)

I also taped a pattern in my kids room. Loved the idea, love how it turned out. Hated it, myself and the whole world while I was doing it.

Am I the only one who has washed the walls before painting? My husband insisted on this step in painting and I'd like to know if it was a waste of time, because it sure felt like it. I also can't tell who is actually using primer.

I get so sick of decor, I wish I could change up as much as Erin and repaint rooms. 

@freethemall My husband encouraged me to wash the walls and I nodded, he left,  and just painted and it was fine. Haha. I can’t really fault Erin for all the painting. She seems like she likes to stay busy but she’s limited as to what she’s can do as a fundie wife. I’m sure she was bored and decorating was fun and acceptable. I just had my baby recently and she is staying in our room for the first year so I didn’t turn the guest room into a nursery yet. I started nesting without realizing it and since I had no nursery to work on, I painted my family room and had the floor done. It was so back breaking doing it in my third trimester (I wore a ventilator mask and got the no VOC paint) but I was so so happy after and felt like I was ready for my baby. If I didn’t work and was just expected to be a keeper of the home/ mom I’d probably do more decorating projects. 

5 hours ago, freethemall said:

Am I the only one who has washed the walls before painting? My husband insisted on this step in painting and I'd like to know if it was a waste of time, because it sure felt like it. I also can't tell who is actually using primer.

I get so sick of decor, I wish I could change up as much as Erin and repaint rooms. 

I've painted like a hundred times and I always skip the washing part. No need for that, except if you are painting a really filthy room or maybe a kitchen.

10 hours ago, freethemall said:

I’ve never washed walls, but I have run a broom over them to get cobwebs out of corners.  I seldom use primer on walls, exception being the kitchen.  But I do use it on things like tables, cabinets, or shelves.

Erin answered today that she doesn’t attend Gil’s church because they don’t have a nursery and because she is the pianist for the church she currently attends. I have wondered about this myself. 

9 minutes ago, onyourwayhome said:

Gil’s church because they don’t have a nursery

Quiverful church with no nursery?  Anyone else shocked?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived