IGNORED

Lori Alexander 40: Learning Nothing, Teaching Nothing

samurai_sarah

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes if Lori has such a problem with it why does she still go see these sinful women? She can make a personal choice not to support them. For example, I only use cruelty-free makeup. But that's my business and I don't sit around judging other people for their choice not to do the same. I'm definitely not vegetarian or vegan so I wouldn't want people judging that. It's not life or death, it's not even a core salvation issue if women work outside the home. 

Also I go to school and work because I want to eat, have a roof over my head, and have no additional provider. And I don't want my parents to have to keep doing it. 

3 hours ago, December said:

So true. There's a business near me that sells something I like, but they are very upfront about certain views they hold which I heavily disagree with. So I put my money where my mouth is and don't shop there.

This is me and Hobby Lobby. I used to live in a small town that didn't have one. I moved to a bigger city and lo and behold there's one right down the street from my house. I'm sorely tempted to shop there but I don't. They are pro-life and force it on their employees, they stole and smuggled Christian artifacts, and my local HoLo only hires white people despite the fact that we are in a very diverse city. I was curious and walked through the store when we first moved to town which is how I know about the employees. It's important to have integrity if you believe you stand on moral high ground like Lori does.

As for women in a business setting, you would be hard pressed if you decided to only do business with men in the food industry. So many luxury food start ups are women. Many eco-friendly imports are not only run by women but help build women-only cottage industries in foreign countries where opportunities are severely limited. Very often these businesses offer a living wage to women who would otherwise starve. Lori's absolute insistence on a very limited view serves to highlight her willful ignorance on what it means to truly be a working woman.

Lori likes to prattle on about being a keeper at home, but what does she do??

Does she have any practical tips for cooking (real cooking), cleaning, or keeping a budget?  No.  

I have to wonder what friends/family think when they read her blog, and then turn up for dinner to find a 4 day old wilted salad (and Lori monitoring how much food they eat/water they drink).

I am no cook...or at least I wasn't.  That said, something about getting older has inspired a desire to get good at it.  Now granted, I was born and raised in the south, and what I cook is typical southern fare.  Tonight I made meatloaf, homemade mashed potatoes, stewed squash, and fresh broccoli.  I also have strawberry shortcakes for dessert.  

Last night I made salisbury steak, brown rice, stewed squash, and asparagus.  Tomorrow I will turn my leftover mashed potatoes into a shepherd's pie and serve it with a salad.

Like I said, it's southern food, but it makes for a happier family than that nasty salad mess that Lori's serving.

Since I love a good thread drift, what are you guys having for dinner?

1 minute ago, Koala said:

Lori likes to prattle on about being a keeper at home, but what does she do??

Does she have any practical tips for cooking (real cooking), cleaning, or keeping a budget?  No.  

I have to wonder what friends/family think when they read her blog, and then turn up for dinner to find a 4 day old wilted salad (and Lori monitoring how much food they eat/water they drink).

I am no cook...or at least I wasn't.  That said, something about getting older has inspired a desire to get good at it.  Now granted, I was born and raised in the south, and what I cook is typical southern fare.  Tonight I made meatloaf, homemade mashed potatoes, stewed squash, and fresh broccoli.  I also have strawberry shortcakes for dessert.  

Last night I made salisbury steak, brown rice, stewed squash, and asparagus.  Tomorrow I will turn my leftover mashed potatoes into a shepherd's pie and serve it with a salad.

Like I said, it's southern food, but it makes for a happier family than that nasty salad mess that Lori's serving.

Since I love a good thread drift, what are you guys having for dinner?

Last night I roasted a chicken (did not use Lori's recipe, which is terribly bland) and cooked some sweet potatoes. Tonight we are all going in separate directions and will fend for ourselves. Tomorrow I will probably make corned beef in a crock pot, since corned beefs are "in season" thanks to St. Patrick's Day.

51 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

This is me and Hobby Lobby. I used to live in a small town that didn't have one. I moved to a bigger city and lo and behold there's one right down the street from my house. I'm sorely tempted to shop there but I don't. They are pro-life and force it on their employees, they stole and smuggled Christian artifacts, and my local HoLo only hires white people despite the fact that we are in a very diverse city. I was curious and walked through the store when we first moved to town which is how I know about the employees.

Not trying to start an argument, and I get why you don't like Hobby Lobby---but you can't accuse a business of racist hiring practices based on one walk through the store.

Tonight it’ll probably be mixed greens with black olives and chopped rotisserie chicken because I’m too tired to cook. 

Spaghetti squash w/turkey spaghetti. And I think green beans on the side. We are out late tonight so need easy. 

Tonight my husband is making smoked pork chops, baked potatoes and wax beans.  I work the evening shift, so I help with prep and/or cook 2 evenings a week.  I'm a pants-wearing, employed heathen. 

My middle daughter made fruity sherbet for dessert.

I am leaving for a yoga retreat tomorrow, so I cleaned out the fridge for dinner: steamed stir fry vegetables and ground beef.

12 minutes ago, jerkit said:

I am leaving for a yoga retreat tomorrow, so I cleaned out the fridge for dinner: steamed stir fry vegetables and ground beef.

I love stir fry.  My husband makes the best I've ever tasted!

@Koala, I am not a good cook. Thankfully my husband is though. But I make a mean spaghetti and shepherd’s pie is a specialty of mine. It’s very sinful but delicious. Here’s a question for everyone.  Does anyone else make ‘egg-in-a-cup’, complete with ‘soldiers’ when their kids are poorly?  I’m guessing those of us who are British, or living in the colonies might?  My 36 year old son wasn’t feeling well a week or so ago and he asked his wife to make him some. I believe her response was, fuck that, or similar. 

We had dominos. 

One of the kids left the freezer door partially open yesterday and I came home to a mess last evening. I debated for a long time but ultimately threw everything out- including a beef roast, pork roast, and chicken legs. So there went my meal plan for the week. 

I hate to waste food and don’t love that I essentially threw money in the trash, but I am thankful that this won’t hurt us like it would some of Lori’s fan girls. 

I will see what is on sale and set a new list/meal plan. 

Cici's pizza buffet for us tonight! It's been a hard week, a very special 100 year old lady who adore is not doing well and will probably not be here long. I work for her son. It's been rough at work, and will be for the near future.  My husband, who is self-employed since the layoff, after he vacuumed and took some broken furniture out to the curb for the pick-up tomorrow, suggested we go to dinner tonight since he knows I'm too tired to cook.  He is very thoughtful.  Lori would probably have a cow.  Well, she kind of is a cow!

Lori - while I was at work today, at the job I have so we get to live in a house and not on the street, he also put up the laundry!

Dinner tonight is homemade layered mac n' cheese with a "big salad" full of wonderful green things.  We are doing an extra meatless day for Lent this year and Wed is it.

Last night was pork chops sauteed w/ onions and 3 kinds of peppers, rice with pigeon peas, and cooked carrots.

Tomorrow is leftover pot roast from Monday made into dry hash. I'm still thinking about the veg.

Friday we are going out to dinner at a Creole/Cajun restaurant with a group of friends.  Lots of meatless/fish/ seafood options for meatless Lenten Fridays.

2 hours ago, SuperNova said:

This is me and Hobby Lobby. I used to live in a small town that didn't have one. I moved to a bigger city and lo and behold there's one right down the street from my house. I'm sorely tempted to shop there but I don't. They are pro-life and force it on their employees, they stole and smuggled Christian artifacts, and my local HoLo only hires white people despite the fact that we are in a very diverse city. I was curious and walked through the store when we first moved to town which is how I know about the employees. It's important to have integrity if you believe you stand on moral high ground like Lori does.

I have heard a few stories about HL and their employees, but I tend not to believe the stories. However, I don't care where people shop or why they do/don't go to a particular store. I'm just not really sure if some of the employee treatment stories are really true.  Also, the ones in my area seem to have a good diversity of employees.

Tonight I salvaged a couple of freezer-burned chicken breasts and made chicken tacos out of most of them. I shredded half of one chicken breast and gave it to the cats as a treat.

Tonight there's no cooking at my house. My back rebelled at  cooking last night and I'm still paying for it. So, leftovers it is! Last night's dinner was a stir fry sort of thing...sliced down flank steak with onions in the wok and rice with greenbeans on the side. 

8 minutes ago, pamplemousse said:

Tonight I salvaged a couple of freezer-burned chicken breasts and made chicken tacos out of most of them. I shredded half of one chicken breast and gave it to the cats as a treat.

My dog loves chicken breast more than any dog treats out there. Goes nuts for it!

I spent the whole day baking so Mr Nova is making turkey chili with salad and cornbread.

@Koala I think my husband makes the best stir fry ever. Let's have a battle of the husbands and get two stir fry dinners out of it! 

@Emilycharlotte you're right. I already don't like them and are no doubt looking for another reason. But I will say that my mom always wants to go there when she comes to town so I've had a few more opportunities to see their employees and I cant say I've seen anything but white folks. I'm fully willing to admit it could be coincidence.

Last night was a quick "Mongolian " beef and broccoli with left over rice noodles. I had tried my hands at making Beef Pho, which turned out great! I still had left over meat and noodles. Tonight I might just make some eggs and toast. It's midterm week and I'm exhausted from working, presentation, paper, and internship. 

Tomorrow I might make spaghetti squash ( so easy now that I know I can microwave it), chicken, and a homemade red sauce. And let's not forget mozzarella on top! 

1 hour ago, jerkit said:

Yoga retreat? As a student or instructor? How many days? If it is as a student, what do you learn?

I just left quilt retreat today. I made my own yoga bag. I'm so proud of myself! 

As for dinner, I'm spending the night at my parents since my work meeting is close to their house, it would have been further for me to drive home and then drive back for the meeting tomorrow. (I am also the chairwoman, have been for over a decade.) Anyway, since my mom was at quilt retreat with me, she picked up a rotisserie chicken and then made a salad and mixed veggies and put cottage cheese on the table. We also had girl scout cookies for dessert. :D

Monday I made crockpot chicken fajitas for supper - served it with a simple cucumber tomato salad.  I added a bit of liquid to the leftovers and had fajita soup for lunch yesterday and today. Now I have the sadz 'cause the soup is gone. I love having soup on hand. 

Tonight's supper: simple pan seared tilapia, sauteed mushrooms and spinach, roasted cubed sweet potatoes. 

Oh! Also, I had a salad yesterday and made a quick dressing by mixing a bit of honey into some hummus.  I LOVED it. 

Also also - I just startd weight watchers and, while I am a little obsessive about my next meal; I really enjoy creating new dishes. 

We had beef & noodles (made from scratch but the noodles were frozen--my mom and I make noodles occasionally and split them to freeze) and fresh green salad on the side (as in I didn't make it four days ago). 

We ordered a pizza and had salads with it tonight. I had to fire someone at work today and my husband snuggled with me during the time we waited for it/normally would have cooked dinner. I always cry at home when I have to let someone go.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived