IGNORED

Joy & Austin 20: Baby Gideon is Here

Jellybean

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Lack of education and in particular, lack of reading. Reading and writing expand vocabulary.

I hate to say this and folks can downvote away...but, IMO, between the speech patterns and limited vocabulary, some of the Duggars come off as lacking in intellect. I have a hard time listening to Joy.

Yes!!!!! and OMG the clip from CO where she and Austin are discussing the difference between Swiss cheese (with holes in it) and "Swiss" cheese from Switzerland........wow.............

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

Interestingly, that preference flips when a couple is adopting; most adoptive parents want girls, and that's true even when more boys than girls are available for adoption.

(adoptive mom here) I just wanted a baby. I didn't care much else beyond that. I really wanted to experience "newborn" and got SUPER lucky in our Waffle. (in a lot of ways) 

We didn't know anything about him until we got the call that he'd been born and birth mom had picked us. I don't think our worker even wanted to tell us if he was a boy or a girl yet (in case we decided against him?) but she slipped up. And I just didn't care. 
I'm pretty happy he's a boy because the people I know who have girls? I don't get "girls". The long hair, the princesses, the dresses, the dolls - that wasn't me as a kid either. Hated princesses, dolls. 
I know not every kid is into that stuff but - there seem to be a lot of them. (and I did get crabby that everyone and their brother got my son trucks and excavators - but it's also Daddy's business so it makes sense...) 

I know everyone has a different opinion and experience, but I will always jump in to contradict the notion that boys--especially teenage boys--are smelly.  My two teen boys and all of their male friends are always well groomed and clean.  My boys shower every day and do not smell.  Maybe some boys do, but not all, and I think the stereotype is unfair and unfounded. 

They are also not wild, rough, or messy.  They both have clean rooms, without me harping on it.  Growing up, my 3 nieces were more rough and wild than my boys (not that there's anything wrong with that--I adore my nieces!)  Two of the girls also have very messy rooms.

When my youngest boy was in 1st grade, I went in to school to help out on field day.  I loved his teacher, as did my son.  At the end of the day, the kids were all sitting down eating popsicles and I overheard the (pregnant) teacher saying to another parent that she hoped to God she didn't have a boy!  I was so crushed. 

Here's my spice cabinet:

How do you find anything in a narrow cabinet like that?

IMG_1543.JPG

1 hour ago, neurogirl said:

Something my fiance and I only talk about with each other is that I would love to have a girl, and he would love to have a boy. We know its wrong and that sex does not equal gender and that interests don't line up with a particular gender anyway, we know we won't care when the baby is real and not imaginary, and we would just love to have two healthy kids someday, but preferences are sometimes still buried there even if we didn't ask for them. I would NEVER say anything to anyone except my fiance about this too.

My husband and I have had this same conversation. I don't know why, but when I think of our hypothetical first baby I think girl and when he thinks of our hypothetical first baby he thinks boy. But if we have a little girl he will love her and if we have a little boy I will love him. 

I grew up with just one sister so little boys are just unfamiliar to me. Also, the women in my family are badasses and I want to pass that on to a daughter (my grandma was in the first class of female officers in the navy and outranked my grandpa, my mom was a prosecutor, I am also an attorney). My husband grew up as an only child and never had a lot of female friends, so girls are foreign to him. That being said, I'm lucky to have grown up with a dad who never made me feel like he would have rather had another boy. In fact, I hadn't even considered that until reading here. My dad took me to every nerdy museum my little heart desired and we took a lot of interest in my activities and life. I've never asked him if he was hoping his second was a boy, and I don't think I ever will, but it makes me sad that other people get treated that way by parents. 

ETA: I also adore the name we have picked for a girl and can't ever seem to settle on boy's names. Maybe that's part of the reason for my slight preference, 

Radom as it is I feel some of those middle boys are bright if undisciplined. Josiah is pretty witty and clever with his jokes IIRC and one of the Twins was a really good chess player.  John David seems to turn his hand to a lot of things successfully.

3 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Here's my spice cabinet:

We've seen how these girls cook - plop a can of cream of mushroom soup into a casserole dish, maybe add some taco flavor mix to something, sneak some salt or pepper in if you're feeling adventurous. I'm sure Joy has never heard of cumin or tarragon and wouldn't know what to do with them.

Did anyone notice in the RV they were using plastic utensils for breakfast with their non-plastic plates? Buy used save the difference but apparently use a brand new plastic fork every single meal instead of washing one sturdy silver one and reusing it hundreds of times. Those flimsy plastic forks are so annoying to eat it with I can't for the life of me understand why they prefer them.

39 minutes ago, Feministe9000 said:

Yes!!!!! and OMG the clip from CO where she and Austin are discussing the difference between Swiss cheese (with holes in it) and "Swiss" cheese from Switzerland........wow.............

It doesn't help that some of them (like Joy and Jill) pronounce their G's like K's. That always throws me off. 

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Yes. Sorry, I shouldn't be responding and working a the same time like that.  Her name is actually quite adorable, but those two just, UGH. They are pompous, arrogant and think the world of themselves. Those two are about as deep as a wadding pool emotionally, Ember is a cutie pie, as is Jackson.  You can tell life hasn't been all gilded bird cages for Tori & Zach, while they might have the same horrible opinions, they at least can give off an air of empathy/compassion/human emotive... where these two cannot.

Yep. Although I do find Tori pretty insufferable on some topics. Like, for instance, insisting Jackson is absolutely safe using blankets in his crib. This was one of the few things our Pediatrician was really firm about being dangerous for little babies, so it boggles my mind that she not only continues doing it but that she acted like such a brat when people warned her it wasn’t safe. 

4 hours ago, potato said:

Count me in as one of the people who thought the 'move along' reaction was a train, except I thought it was a train crash!  Like, "hey this situation/post is a train wreck let's just leave it".  Either that or a very sludgy slice of pie.

I thought it was snake, like "slither along you..."

48 minutes ago, Feministe9000 said:

Yeah....that was painful to watch. Was she trying to play dumb cuz it really seemed like she was. i can kind of get her being confused by the question for a second or 2 but that was a little ridiculous in my opinion.

52 minutes ago, freethemall said:

We've seen how these girls cook - plop a can of cream of mushroom soup into a casserole dish, maybe add some taco flavor mix to something, sneak some salt or pepper in if you're feeling adventurous. I'm sure Joy has never heard of cumin or tarragon and wouldn't know what to do with them.

Did anyone notice in the RV they were using plastic utensils for breakfast with their non-plastic plates? Buy used save the difference but apparently use a brand new plastic fork every single meal instead of washing one sturdy silver one and reusing it hundreds of times. Those flimsy plastic forks are so annoying to eat it with I can't for the life of me understand why they prefer them.

I prefer plastic forks (the clear ones though that are sturdier than the white ones) because I can taste metal forks. I only use plastic.

In RVs, there's a tank that holds water you've used, called a grey tank. Most RVs hold 50 or less gallons of used water. This is probably one reason they are using disposable plates. In order to empty the tank, you need a separate portable tank or you need to move the RV to  sewer outlet, which is a pain. (Unless they have a sewer outlet near where their RV is parked, then they just prefer paper or don't want to wash dishes.)

Anyone who thinks that little girls are more well behaved have never met my niece.  That child is like the tornado from Twister.  

This is kind of random but do you think any of the Duggar couples fight? Or is any disagreement quickly ended with some Bible verse or that don't go to bed angry thing? 

I’ve gotta say I’m beyond impressed by the rather casual nature a lot of you moms talk about laboring here. I seriously take my hat off to you guys. I’d love children but the thought of actually giving birth terrifies me. I’m waiting for the day they can put you to sleep to deliver.

My cousin's grandfather was 1 of 9 men and all looked similar and according to my father all had white hair. When her parents got married their was a line of men with white hair.  My cousin's father & uncle both had girls.

9 hours ago, Otto Titsling said:

So what we’ve all really learned regarding the icons here is that ophthalmologists and optometrists everywhere will be getting an influx of business in the next few weeks. :)

And yes, me too. Wednesday at 5:00PM. 

I went to the optometrist 2 days ago and ordered new glasses. When they arrive I’ll let everyone know if the icons become more clear! 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Here's my spice cabinet:

IMG_1543.JPG

Where is the shining gold coming out of the sky while majestically music plays. Cuz that is what I'm seeing/hearing when looking at this.  I'm  oveting your spice rack.

I’m a big sister to only one other sister. With my first baby, I badly wanted a boy because I had always, always longed for a big brother who would love me and take care of me. I wanted all of my children to have that big brother. So silly. Oldest is a girl and she’s the cheese to my crackers. Can’t imagine life without her. I didn’t have much of a preference with the others, except for one. I hoped that one was a girl because oldest wanted a sister so very badly. My husband has no preference, really, but does joke about hoping every one is a boy so I will have loads of sons to care for me if something happens to him. Of course, he’s completely wrapped around the girls’ fingers. It’s truly interesting to see how he melts for them. 

Eta:

I agree that Joy’s vocabulary sounds limited. I think it is just a product of her surroundings. We’ve seen Jessa’s vocabulary expand and writing improve as (presumably) her husband has exposed her to more reading. I think we’ll see the same with Jinger. 

18 minutes ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

I’ve gotta say I’m beyond impressed by the rather casual nature a lot of you moms talk about laboring here. I seriously take my hat off to you guys. I’d love children but the thought of actually giving birth terrifies me. I’m waiting for the day they can put you to sleep to deliver.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It was the (second) most horrific thing I've ever experienced. 8 hours of transition/pushing when I didn't WANT to do it, when I WANTED drugs but couldn't have them, etc. 

The worst pain I've ever experienced, bar none, is pancreatitis with a post-op ileus. It was like one long "push-type" contraction that lasted 48 hours and I am not, in any way/shape/form exaggerating.

And my mom was knocked out during her delivery of me. It was actually pretty common in the dark ages to knock women out for the delivery.

Strapped down, shaved bald, given a 3 h enema (high, hot and a helluva lot), knocked out, and forceps for every delivery. No thanks.

Yeah, labor hurt, but the scenario I’ve listed here just sounds barbaric. 

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I know everyone has a different opinion and experience, but I will always jump in to contradict the notion that boys--especially teenage boys--are smelly.  My two teen boys and all of their male friends are always well groomed and clean.  My boys shower every day and do not smell.  Maybe some boys do, but not all, and I think the stereotype is unfair and unfounded. 

Ever been in a room full of 8th grade boys right after PE in August? 

3 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

It doesn't even have to be after PE in any of the warm months, or even necessarily after PE.  I still can't decide if it's better if they fumigate  spray themselves with Axe or just go au naturale. 

Speaking as someone who had PE in August, the same is also true of preteen/teen girls. My school made showers mandatory after certain sections of PE, but some people just sweat more, regardless of gender.

8 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Ever walked into a daycare room of four-year-olds in the summer after they've had three sessions of "outside play" on the hottest day of the year? 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived