IGNORED

Jinjer 37: The Joys of Pregnancy

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, coexist said:

That was me, lol! I can't recall the thread anymore, but this was several years ago when I'd finally stopped lurking. I'm not sure how bringing them up tied in to the thread I derailed at the time (wait, like all thread drift it didn't tie in, lol!). I just know it felt so good to finally be able to talk about the crazy. : )

Talk about the crazy whenever you want! SDAs and their clothing/jewelry restrictions is one of the things that brought me to FJ!

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@feministxtian - I'm hopeful your husband is on the mend soon! 

Also - I'm a HUGE Cussler fan, and really NOT a fan of all the books he's pimping out his name for (although the Isaac Bell books are decent enough). 

I stay with the Dirk Pitt adventures, although lately they've sucked. I got hooked with "Raise The Titanic". I got to meet Mr. Cussler some years ago...he was very sweet and gracious. 

Hubby is doing OK...the abscess popped on its own. He's on the heavy duty antibiotics right now. I stayed home from work today...something about getting home about 3am. 

On 3/11/2018 at 5:28 PM, Escadora said:

I guess that my two main problems are that 1: I don’t like the same fiction I did before. My ‘me’ is different now, and - as a mostly female preferring bisexual woman - I, respectfully, am bored with reading stories of heterosexual cisgender couples in books. It just bores me so much now, unless it’s not the main focus of the story (say, I love a good epic adventure. sci-fi, pirate universes, fantasy land, medieval-era type plot) whereas I could totally read a f/f story that didn’t have much plot purely because it’s what speaks to me/resonates with me.  I imagine straight people would feel the same way, but in reverse. Tell you what, I think I prefer books that have little-to-no romance in them at all. My latest favourite novel is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and I’ve been reading it over and over again since November 2016 because I haven’t been able to find anything else that interests me.

I'm not sure that it will help with the sensory issues, but SquibblesReads on youtube (her name is Joce) does a lot of underrepresented group books. She actually exclusively reads books that are about UR characters (and I specifically recall her mentioning bisexual main characters in a few) and gives some good reviews about them. Also check out #diverseAthon and legit search bisexual main charactersin books on youtube, you might get some good recs there :) Actually, i get 99% of my book recs from youtubers! 

JInger and Jeremy are seriously boring on the show. as for current life it seems they have been in California at something called Shepard's Conference 

I've always been a fantasy and fiction reader, although one of the JinJer thread drifts a few months ago suggested "The Aquariums of Pyongyang, which struck an interest in nonfiction for me.  I've enjoyed reading a lot of the nonfiction "escape" stories from various fundamentalist sects, of course, but learning about North Korea seemed timely (I am in the USA).  I'm too tired to think of what all else I read that was nonfiction, but I also enjoyed "Nothing to Envy" which I read first and deals at least partially with the hardships NK refugees deal with after they flee the country.  Adjusting to life in the outside world is pretty difficult.

All this to say I love the reading drifts and they're always so helpful at giving me new suggestions to read. :-)

8 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

JInger and Jeremy are seriously boring on the show. as for current life it seems they have been in California at something called Shepard's Conference 

They seem to travel a lot. Does his church only meet once a month or something? :pb_lol: 

5 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

(Snip) learning about North Korea seemed timely (I am in the USA).  I'm too tired to think of what all else I read that was nonfiction, but I also enjoyed "Nothing to Envy" which I read first and deals at least partially with the hardships NK refugees deal with after they flee the country.  Adjusting to life in the outside world is pretty difficult.

All this to say I love the reading drifts and they're always so helpful at giving me new suggestions to read. :-)

If you enjoyed Nothing to Envy, you might also enjoy The Cleanest Race: How North Koreans See Themselves - and Why It Matters, by B. R. Myers. It’s less journalistic in style, but I found it easy to read (I read it twice!) and very, very interesting.

I’ll look into Aquariums of Pyongyang - I missed that recommendation, so thank you for mentioning it again!

Seventh Day Adventists are one of the few religious groups that I have no time or patience for. 

My university had a Seventh Day Adventist student society. Most of the Christian student groups did Friday night things  (worship services, games, food etc) pretty low key and I would say most people didn't even know they existed. 

The Seventh Day Adventists blanketed campus with signs about how antidepressants were evil, Mental Illness was made up and chemotherapy was all fake. 

As a childhood cancer survivor with depression and anxiety it really burnt my toast. 

Hmmm... I was raised SDA (pastor's daughter) and that seems very unlike the Adventists I grew up with/around and associate with* today. (Not blanketing campus with signs about this or that, but being against chemotherapy and antidepressants and the like.) Now that offshoot group of fundamentalist SDAs we spent a few years with, on the other hand, would certainly be of the belief that those things were evil, etc. I wonder if the group on your campus was made up of people on the fringe of Adventism?

*I am now atheist but went to Adventist schools from 2nd grade through university and am still fairly close with friends as far back as 5th grade who are practicing Adventists, as well as having mostly SDA relatives on both sides of my family for 3 generations. It's never been a 'thing' in the mainstream Adventist circles I'm close to. Just the fringe fundy one. 

8 hours ago, coexist said:

I wonder if the group on your campus was made up of people on the fringe of Adventism?

They may have been, to be fair I don't know how much support they actually received from local churches but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm glad to hear that they were likely the exception and not the rule. 

Sometimes a mainstream church will have a hardcore member or two who are diehard Ellen G. White supporters (their "prophetess") or who have very strict fundamentalist views, but they usually feel a mainstream church is too wordly for them/their family and will either drive hours to find like-minded believers or try to pull a few members out and start a home church. It has been my experience that the mainstream church usually tolerates them to a degree but with major eyeroll... Hopefully the group you interacted with didn't have the full support of a mainstream church, because that was some fucked up shit.

Slightly off-topic but related to the craziness that is Adventist fundimentalism: My ex-husband taught at an Adventist elementary school where two fundy siblings attended. They were in kindergarten and first grade and had dietary restrictions so always brought their own lunches. I was helping in the lunchroom one day when grilled cheese was on the menu and I watched those two spend the whole meal very passionately preaching to the other students (k-8) they'd be going to hell for not obeying Jesus' commandment to abstain from CHEESE. 

12 hours ago, LacyMay said:

Seventh Day Adventists are one of the few religious groups that I have no time or patience for. 

My university had a Seventh Day Adventist student society. Most of the Christian student groups did Friday night things  (worship services, games, food etc) pretty low key and I would say most people didn't even know they existed. 

The Seventh Day Adventists blanketed campus with signs about how antidepressants were evil, Mental Illness was made up and chemotherapy was all fake. 

As a childhood cancer survivor with depression and anxiety it really burnt my toast. 

Whoa - I never knew the SDA had those beliefs in common with Scientologists! (Scis would blame mental illness on disembodied spirits attached to a person, so not exactly "made up" in their thinking, but they don't take them seriously as a medical/chemical issue.)

I spent 2 weeks last summer on a small-holding in the middle of nowhere, run by a strict and very dour SDA family. No alcohol!! The only other guests staying? A group of Hasidic families (eleventy kids each, who were not allowed to talk to my kids. Women in thick stockings and wigs who never came outside the doors of their lodgings. etc. etc.) It was a Fundielapalooza! 

I tried to talk to the men, but I couldnt speak Yiddish and (trying to connect with them) I started trying the only Hebrew words I know .... which are the utterly filthy swear words some Israeli friends taught me. I only just stopped myself just in time....

15 hours ago, LacyMay said:

The SDA are currently at the local train station (down the road from work) in their suits with huge banners and pamphlets.

It's interesting to see at least 100 + people ignoring them when the level crossing is blocked to let a train through (they are standing right in front of them).

32 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

It's a... Papaya! 

Aw! Little Papaya has popped!

Also, her hair looks fantastic and I’m having serious hair envy over here. 

2 minutes ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

A million Papayas for Jesus.

Fixed that for you. :pb_lol:

Thank you, Google Images!

Spoiler

papaya.thumb.png.6f1165ff7e5386de71c0cc349f259054.png

(I'll probably post pictures of the full updated spreadsheets every couple months or so over in @VelociRapture's awesome summaries thread. Rather than spamming everyone every time one of them changes their relationship status or gets pregnant or reveals the jinder or what have you.)

HER HAIR!!! So much envy. 

I wonder if they’ve found out the sex or not. I imagine if they did and it was a girl, they’d be heralding it all over the place. 

:music-singing: "Gooooo, tell it on the Mountain

O'er the hills and Everywhere

Go, tell it on the Mountain

That Jinger is having a Girl"...

Is what they'll sing if (and when!) she has a girl...;)

Okay so I had a crazy dream last night. I don't even think I was here yesterday so its kind if weird lol.

In my dream, Jinger had twins: one boy and one girl. So naturally everyone was going apeshit over this.

Then, Jinger created an account. Someone noticed it and said "Guys, someone just signed up with the username "officialjingerduggar"

Jinger then tells us she has been lurking for years and invites all of us to come see her new babies.

So we all get there and they are adorable and Jinger and Jeremy are gracious hosts. The twins look to be about six months old. Lol.

So. I needed to share that with you all.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived