IGNORED

Jinjer 37: The Joys of Pregnancy

Coconut Flan

On 3/7/2018 at 12:31 PM, kachuu said:

I always loved the idea of Kindle/Ipad to store all your books. The issue for me is i can't stand reading from one. There's the glare, the battery life, the notification or apps..... I'd rather just hold the book in my hands. Old habits die hard 

No glare if you read from a traditional Kindle rather than the Fire or another tablet. Dedicated e-readers are not back lit and do not have app notifications and such going on. 

My eyes have issues due to hereditary retinal disease (which will eventually cause vision loss that will likely no longer be correctable) and reading from paper leads to eye strain headaches in about an hour. On my Kindle, I can read for as long as I want. But I would not be able to do so on a tablet that is back lit. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a kindle the best thing about it is how easy it is to download and buy books. The worse thing about it is how easy it is to download and buy books. 

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? 18?! years ago I visited Oregon and the night before I flew back I visited Powell's. I was mesmerized. I bought a used copy of It, which freaked me out. Still have it. It was definitely one of the reasons I moved here :D

(Powell's City of Books is a truly spectacular used and new bookstore that is a whole city block long in Portland)

I hate to interrupt book talk, but this post Jinger made interests me. What's "real food" referring to? Real Pork? Healthy food? 

I gotta admit, that looks delicious to me.

19 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I hate to interrupt book talk, but this post Jinger made interests me. What's "real food" referring to? Real Pork? Healthy food? 

I think because she posted a photo of ice cream earlier ;-)

I made the switch to primarily e-books after a 3 week trip to Australia when I was in school.  My suitcase was 50% (or more) books, almost all of which I read.  I decided I needed a lighter way to travel and never looked back.  It's also helpful because I can read at night when my husband is sleeping and I don't have to go into another room.

I still have a ton of paper books and I go to the library, but we have a massive e-library via a kindle app since he and I have similar taste in literature.  I share my Amazon account with a close friend and so we read each others' purchases.

@AliceInFundyland, my husband introduced me to Powell's City of Books about 20 years ago, and I immediately fell in love. :romance-hearteyes: (With Powell's. I had already fallen in love with him before that. :my_biggrin: ) We can't visit Portland, or even drive near it, without a stop there!

I've never been to any of their other branches, just the City of Books. I kind of wish we had visited their Technical Books store back when Fup, the store cat, was still alive. I used to love to read about the adventures of Fup and all her friends on the Powell's blog. :)

ETA--I just searched and found out that the Technical Books store closed a few years back. I guess I haven't read their blog in a long time; longer than I realized.  :character-oldtimer:

6 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

To those who part with your books in paring down...how do you do it?

I’m a librarian that owns about one shelf of books (down from four full cases). I had very specific criteria.

1. I kept books I wasn’t likely to find readily at a library, but was likely to want to read/reference again. (A few cookbooks, and obscure poetry/fiction)

2. I kept books I was likely to want to read at the drop of a hat (the complete works of Jane Austen for example - sometimes I need to read P&P now, not tomorrow when I can grab a copy from a library)

3. I kept books I had a real sentimental attachment to (a few books with my Grandma’s notations written in the margins)

I sold/recycled everything else. I haven’t regretted it for a moment. Being a librarian makes me much less sentimental about books as objects. For me, books are only valuable because of the knowledge/entertainment/insights between the covers.

5 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

That are probably more fresh vegetables than she would eat in one year in the TTH

19 hours ago, Irene said:

Does fotos must be old... Look at the haircollor on does and then the update on her pregenacy..

and she doesnt look pregant compare to other fotos..

I use a combination of actual paper books and an e reader.  I like to read on the beach in the summer and don’t want to bring my kindle and risk it getting wet, sandy, or stolen.

I won’t get my kids ereaders, though.  They have a TON of books (even with giving a lot of the “little kid” books to friends and family) and my husband mentions getting them ereaders every once and a while and I’m so against it but I’m not sure why.  I tell him one day we’re going to have grandkids and they can have the books.  He looks at me like I’m crazy.

My favorite bookstore is Daunt's in London. They have several locations, but my favorite is the one across from Hyde Park - it's a smaller "outpost" of their main store, and I generally stop for a couple of hours on each of our trips to London (our pied-a-terre is nearby, so it's very too convenient).

https://www.dauntbooks.co.uk

Daunts is lovely! I used to work very near to Marylebone High Street where they have another branch. It has such a nice feel, and everyone I encountered in there (staff and visitors) seemed to have such a love of books.

We live in south-east London now and have THREE independent bookshops within a 5 minute walk of our home. One of them is about 8 doors down from our house, sandwiched between two wonderful cafes. I love my street!

10 hours ago, louisa05 said:

No glare if you read from a traditional Kindle rather than the Fire or another tablet. Dedicated e-readers are not back lit and do not have app notifications and such going on. 

My eyes have issues due to hereditary retinal disease (which will eventually cause vision loss that will likely no longer be correctable) and reading from paper leads to eye strain headaches in about an hour. On my Kindle, I can read for as long as I want. But I would not be able to do so on a tablet that is back lit. 

I have a Fire that I read a lot of books on. It is exactly the same experience as a dedicated e-reader, which I have owned previously. I can alter the page color, font size and style, and the amount of light. within the reading app. There are no sounds or notifications or any other interruptions, not even the clock unless I turn it on. I can see other things if I want to, but it isn't the default.

I feel stressed out reading from a screen while reading from paper relaxes me. I love that you can bring a lot of books with a tablet, computer or reader but the stress seems to not go away no matter how many books I read. I prefer reading from a laptop if I have to read from a screen.

11 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? 18?! years ago I visited Oregon and the night before I flew back I visited Powell's. I was mesmerized. I bought a used copy of It, which freaked me out. Still have it. It was definitely one of the reasons I moved here :D

(Powell's City of Books is a truly spectacular used and new bookstore that is a whole city block long in Portland)

I was in Powell's 3 years ago, a group of us were in Portland visiting and we spent about 4 hours in there, it was insane, we are all book nerds and we just went our separate ways looked at what we wanted to ran into each other occasionally and ohhed and ahhed over this and that.  We all bought way too much stuff but had a blast.

1 hour ago, Jellybean said:

Daunts is lovely! I used to work very near to Marylebone High Street where they have another branch. It has such a nice feel, and everyone I encountered in there (staff and visitors) seemed to have such a love of books.

Ahhh, memories!!!  I lived a few blocks from the Marble Arch tube station and remember walking to Daunts.  

I'm very good at getting books; it's the getting rid of books that is difficult for me. Not to mention that I love hardbacks, so I will buy a book in hardback.. and for travel, I'll buy it in paperback. Nowadays, I"ll also get the e-reader version, because space and weight.. 

So I"m no help.

Some books I've had so long the glue backs have dried up and they're falling apart. So those are being recycled... and I'm getting what I want of them on the e-reader. I miss shelves and shelves of books, though.

Just now, Four is Enough said:

I'm very good at getting books; it's the getting rid of books that is difficult for me. Not to mention that I love hardbacks, so I will buy a book in hardback.. and for travel, I'll buy it in paperback. Nowadays, I"ll also get the e-reader version, because space and weight.. 

So I"m no help.

Some books I've had so long the glue backs have dried up and they're falling apart. So those are being recycled... and I'm getting what I want of them on the e-reader. I miss shelves and shelves of books, though.

I used to do this, then I had kids and ran out of $ and space.

26 minutes ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

Ahhh, memories!!!  I lived a few blocks from the Marble Arch tube station and remember walking to Daunts.  

OMG - Marble Arch. My daughter and I always say "MOBBLE OTCH" during the station announcement. We are simple, sometimes. haha

12 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

That is DEFINITELY pork.  Yet another Duggar "no no" that Jinger is throwing to the side.

My MIL, speaking for herself and my SIL, often says "we're not readers."  That's all I needed to know about them . . .

1 minute ago, Satan'sFortress said:

My MIL, speaking for herself and my SIL, often says "we're not readers."  That's all I needed to know about them . . .

I'm the same. My reaction is also often strong bewilderment on that kind of statements. Like, why would anyone ever not want to read!

Re: Jinger and food, could be she had a rough time with morning sickness early on but now can handle regular meals again? I know once I got my Zofran script I ate solidly for like a week!

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I love to read and I love books, I wouldn't classify my self as a reader though because I'm dyslexic which makes me a slow reader. Therefore, the amount of books I've read is fewer than if I was a "good reader".

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived