IGNORED

Jinjer 37: The Joys of Pregnancy

Coconut Flan

12 hours ago, elliha said:

I hate music when I give birth. I turned freaking mental when I midwife tried to turn on some horrible Enya music the first time and the second time they had some even worse whale-song/nature sound record. I turned it off myself and explained that if anyone tried to put anything resembling music on I would hit them. No one touched it. My first birth I was OK with my husband listening to some rock music at the early stages but once I grew weary of that too he had to turn it off like 5 mins ago.

Enya?  HA!  I was watching "the walking dead."

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I was on FJ (she said in a very quiet and slightly embarrassed voice.) :pb_lol:

In my defense, I was admitted just after 8 at night and my baby wasn’t born until just after 6 the next morning. I had time to kill when I wasn’t sleeping, asking husband to get me apple juice, or chatting with the Nurses. FJ is great at killing time. 

Just now, VelociRapture said:

In my defense, I was admitted just after 8 at night and my baby wasn’t born until just after 6 the next morning. I had time to kill when I wasn’t sleeping, asking husband to get me apple juice, or chatting with the Nurses. FJ is great at killing time. 

Yeah, I didnt have much time.  I went from "we're going to induce you" to "HOLY SHIT MAD CHAOS" in about 20 minutes.  Water broke 11:50, baby born 3:13 (and would have been earlier if the resident had her way).

I could have erected and painted the Golden Gate Bridge, twice, in the amount of time I was in labor (induced) with my first-

14 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

can you find the posts from then :D

15 minutes ago, nst said:

can you find the posts from then :D

:pb_lol:

I was mainly just lurking, but I did post on the Pregnant and Parenting thread in AYTFJ? The first few times was before we knew I was in labor and not just sick. The last two were to let everyone know the baby was on her way and to clarify it was a premature birth. It’s funny going back and looking at those posts now that my impatient little peanut is 15 months old. 

I was watching vintage TV on TV Land when I was in labor with my last baby.  I distinctly remember watching a few episodes of Leave It to Beaver.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:44 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

*snip*

3.  Thank you to all the FJ nurses. :group-hug: I am not a huge fan of doctors, but nurses are the best.  I did indeed have a nurse help me get rid of unwanted guests post baby.  She was so wonderful, I will never forget her.

My initial goal was medical school. Long story short, I was nearing the end of my pre-med degree when school took the backburner to recovery from mental health issues. Nursing was a safety net for me, and I mean that in the most positive sense. The timing of the BSN program allowed me to continue working on recovery and sorting myself out emotionally, and nursing itself was extremely gratifying. 

At times I still wonder what would've happened if I'd continued pursing med school and gotten in. But at the same time I have no regrets with becoming a nurse -- the way nurses relate to patients is unique to the profession, in my opinion. I've met many incredible doctors, but nurses tend to be more universally approachable and attentive to the immediate needs of their patients (again, just my anecdotal observation). I don't know how to explain it other than we're with people in their most vulnerable moments, whether it's cleaning someone up after an accident, caring for a nasty wound, or just holding a person's hand when they're scared or in pain; it changes how you relate to people.

I lost track of where I was going with my comment. :my_rolleyes: I think I just wanted to explain why I'm thankful for my experiences as a nurse and how they've made me into the person I am now (I mean yes, healthcare sucks sometimes and we all whine and complain and I have moments when I'm not an all star RN, but I wouldn't keep doing it if I didn't find it meaningful). It's rewarding, and it's nice to hear when people find their nurses supportive and trustworthy. 

8 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Before I went to the hospital I watched TV and surfing the internet, among other things I wrote and read here. I think I watched some detective show but I don't remember which.

I was watching the finale of Bachelor in Paradise when I was in labor. My 2 best friends and I always group text during Bachelor shows so that's what I was doing. Then things went suuuuuper quick and I turned the TV off to start pushing right before the very end. Once I got over the shock of having a precipitous labor and delivery, I rejoined the text to announce that my daughter was the most beautiful baby in the history of babies and to inquire about what happened in Paradise.

Also my husband was picking his fantasy league team during my labor. He had to let it go to auto draft for the last few rounds because of my rapid labor and his team ending up really sucking that year. :pb_lol: 

The anesthesiologist did have me turn off the TV when I was getting my epidural. I think they don't want you to have any distractions while they're doing that.

I didn't go into labor, had a c-section. During the surgery, my then husband, the medical staff and I discussed football and (this was awhile ago) Drew Bledsoe! 

2 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

You guys!!1!

TIL that Jeremy loves books.

Who knew?!?

Screenshot_20180306-170450.png

Hmm... If we could only re-cover some really steamy books with theology covers, then make some exchanges...

Is anyone else thinking the Jeremy and his books are either a tlc plot line or Jeremy trying to prove he is educated and worldly?

1 minute ago, Daisy0322 said:

Is anyone else thinking the Jeremy and his books are either a tlc plot line or Jeremy trying to prove he is educated and worldly?

I don't think it's a blot line he sames way to passionate about those books for it to be something TLC came up with. I don't really think it shows him as wordly either but it could be his way of making himself look like this great pastor look at all the religious books I've read. 

I personally thought it was kind of hysterical that Jinger said of selling the bookcase “as seen on TV”. 

Very funny. Shame about the cult. 

3 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

You guys!!1!

Who knew?!?

Huh. Well, I guess it’s nice that Jeremy supports his books coming out of the closet. Wish he was that supportive of human beings doing the same. 

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I personally thought it was kind of hysterical that Jinger said of selling the bookcase “as seen on TV”. 

Very funny. Shame about the cult. 

Guess that means that Jinger watches TV-

On 2018-03-01 at 6:41 PM, sta_sha said:

We didn’t tell anyone what time anything was scheduled for, just that we’d let them know what was going on. And we did...several hours after the boys were born.

My son was in the NICU for a month or so, and he is adopted. So while he was in the NICU, we had to get special approval for the Grandparents to visit in the hospital.

and I never told the grandmas. That was our time to bond as a family, just my husband and I and our baby. I likened it to finding out you are pregnant and not telling anyone just yet? Having it be the delicious secret?

plus while I trusted MIL not to abuse the privilege, I knew my mother would basically move in. I had to force her NOT to come on our first day home so we could settle in. She came at 8am the next morning.  and at one point in those early days said “well, I don’t know why he is more comfortable with you than me.”

i looked at her said “because I am his MOM”

It would be good if Jeremy really read a true variety of books that explore the world in all facets and from all points of view. However, I suppose it's mainly just (or exclusively) conservative protestant theology. Perhaps from many different angles, yet still very limited.

One thing I can't wrap my head around is how people can be super well-read and yet terribly ignorant at the same time.

As a child I had a friend whose father was an Orthodox rabbi. This man filled the entire house with books. Books everywhere, from floor to ceiling. All of them religious texts, religious musings, interpretations, tractates, debates,.... This man was an authority and force when it came to Judaism, especially their specific branch. But he knew virtually nothing beyond that. He had no idea who Mozart was, for example.

@SweetJuly because under his current theology, he is superior intellectually and spiritually from people who disagree with him. Anything outside the very sharp confines of approved material that could challenge it in any way just cannot be allowed. It’s a power trip, he’s got eternal happiness, the rest of us have eternal misery, what’s giving up a supposedly small amount of knowledge for that eternal knowledge of the only important person, God?

It’s arrogant. But it’s also a hell of a lot easier to reject straw men (atheists all hate God, people from other religions are unfulfilled, only Christians have a relationship and those liberal Christians aren’t Christians at all, for Jeremy- and whatever preconceptions the rabbi you knew held) than it is to engage with anything from the outside world. It’s a shame, even if it was politics or development studies or something, there’s so much interesting stuff out there to learn and if I had the TV money I’d be signing up for it all. But in their cult, knowledge just takes you away from The Truth, Satan’s temptations etc.

Never mind that if hard evidence in the real world rejects your philosophy, that’s pretty strong evidence that you’re wrong. And that the world becomes more interesting when you try to understand other people’s perspectives. I want to steal one of the younger sons away to England, get them one of the deprived kids scholarships and send them to a proper university on an International Relations degree, they might finally learn even a little about alternative viewpoints.

15 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

You guys!!1!

Who knew?!?

So, Jeremy's goal in life is to be quoted? Guess he can check that life goal off the list!

:confusion-shrug:

Having a lot of books means you just HAVE a lot of books. I had to cull my library for our latest move and I did end up donating a lot of them. (novels I had from high school lit classes that I hadn't touched since high school etc). Having a ton of books doesn't make you smarter - it just means you have more books to dust. 

You must USE books. Read them, refer to them. Not just collect them for show. (IMO anyway) 

7 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Not just collect them for show. (IMO anyway) 

I went to a party at a "well-to-do" family's home down South. It's one of those homes you see in magazines.

I wandered around until I found myself in their library. It was a beautiful room - light, airy, window seats for reading, and thousands upon thousands of books in bookcases that had that rolly-ladder thing to access the top shelves. I randomly chose one book to browse through, and when I opened it, I realized I was the first person - ever - to open it. It had been chosen as part of the room's palette. None of the books had been handled, much less read. It was so sad.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I went to a party at a "well-to-do" family's home down South. It's one of those homes you see in magazines.

I wandered around until I found myself in their library. It was a beautiful room - light, airy, window seats for reading, and thousands upon thousands of books in bookcases that had that rolly-ladder thing to access the top shelves. I randomly chose one book to browse through, and when I opened it, I realized I was the first person - ever - to open it. It had been chosen as part of the room's palette. None of the books had been handled, much less read. It was so sad.

That IS sad!!

Like I said - we got rid of a ton of books in the last move - but we still have them spilling all over the place. Tucked into corners etc. Especially bad in my son's room because he has ONE book case (it's 6 of those wooden crates screwed together) and it's COMPLETELY full. He could have another one and fill it up pretty fast. 
We're just readers! 

The only time I buy books "for show" it comes in the form of "Man -I really wish all my Harry Potter books matched." or that I wish I had the whole series of Outlander in matching covers. (but then - book nerd alert - I'd feel bad for the books that got replaced just because they didn't match - and I'd keep them anyway....)

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived