IGNORED

Mortons: A new year of Marryin', Birthin', and Writin'

SolomonFundy

On 2/23/2018 at 3:13 AM, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I mean, I get what you’re saying, I really do. Their stores don’t sound all that much like a true art — or craft. But man, making babies and selling art on Etsy sounds like a lovely career to me. 

For you, I presume, it would be a choice. Something you sincerely want and chose over other options. There is nothing inherently 'wrong' with what they do - it's the underlying fact that they don't have many options; they were raised to make babies and be housewives. 

• Upvote 6

the tags on those posts are cracking. me. up. my favorite by far is the one on the post from February 16: #boy
close seconds: 
#thoseboys
#Survival
#ThisIsSoCute
and of course the caption from Feb 13: "Raw and pure boyhood..." :laughing-rollingyellow:
Raw and pure boyhood sounds wrong...
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, fundiefan said:

For you, I presume, it would be a choice. Something you sincerely want and chose over other options. There is nothing inherently 'wrong' with what they do - it's the underlying fact that they don't have many options; they were raised to make babies and be housewives. 

Which is part of why I said that I get what you’re saying. It also sounded though, that that kind of life isn’t meaningful; I guess I just read you wrong. 

• Upvote 3

I thought I was clear - I was thanking the people in MY life, not the rest of the world. 

To ME, that's not how I would describe or live a "meaningful" life. 

To others, it is. 

The point was entirely about the fact that I was rasied in a world of choice and I am immensely grateful for that. 

If your choice or the choice of anyone else is different than mine, cool. Whatever. Not my choice. 

I know lots of folks around her like to get personal and butthurt over comments, but for ME, if anyone  wants to be bothered, first remember for me - and my remarks - it's a given.....it's about choice. Opportunity. Decision. Experience.

If you choose to be home making babies & making things, I am your damn cheerleader. 

If, however, you do it because you've never known or believed there is any other option - I probably won't worry about offense.

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I hate to use that term, but anyway, I wasn’t “butthurt”, just throwing out a reminder that that lifestyle can be meaningful to some people :-)

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I hate to use that term, but anyway, I wasn’t “butthurt”, just throwing out a reminder that that lifestyle can be meaningful to some people :-)

No reminder needed.

I said what I said. You took it the way you wanted to take it. 

Such easy offense is not my issue. 

I like watching ER on Hulu. I'm on season 4. I'm loving every second. 

You, someone, anyone else, may hate ER and everything about it. None of it means I don't enjoy it or that my enjoyment is an attack or offensive. 

Differnce is only offense when someone chooses it to be. 

I am grateful that I was raised to make choices in my life. That I don't have to make babies & crafts - - - because to ME that is awful. 

If it's your damn choice, have at it. It's not an insult. It's not personal. It's me, my opinion, my comments on a funcie furum. I disagree. It's actually reallyt fucking easy. 

You do you, I do me. We're all cool. 

If not, it has nothing whatsoever to do with me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 1

• 2 weeks later...

Based on Keni's IG she and Andrew ran a half marathon this weekend. I'm quite impressed since she is pregnant. Is it safe to do a half marathon while expecting?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

Based on Keni's IG she and Andrew ran a half marathon this weekend. I'm quite impressed since she is pregnant. Is it safe to do a half marathon while expecting?

If a person normally trains and runs regularly, it's ok to continue when pregnant. But it's not a good idea to start training while pregnant. If she normally runs these then it's ok. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

Both Addie Morton and Mariah Campana have posts up on their social media pages about how they celebrated International Women's Day by... being antifeminist? Why not just ignore the holiday? I don't get all over Facebook on Canada Day to be like "I'M A U.S. CITIZEN, SUCK IT CANADA!" But then it bothers them to think about women who make their own direction in life, and they fume over it when people praise women without mentioning their fathers or husbands who are even more worthy of praise... of course they have to say something.

• Upvote 10
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Both Addie Morton and Mariah Campana have posts up on their social media pages about how they celebrated International Women's Day by... being antifeminist? Why not just ignore the holiday? I don't get all over Facebook on Canada Day to be like "I'M A U.S. CITIZEN, SUCK IT CANADA!" But then it bothers them to think about women who make their own direction in life, and they fume over it when people praise women without mentioning their fathers or husbands who are even more worthy of praise... of course they have to say something.

They definitely have a chip on their shoulder about it. They are immature and pathetic. I feel sorry for these girls. I can't call them women. They are too childish and ignorant.

• Upvote 9

I almost commented on this a few days ago.  Addie's post was especially egregious.  John also made a post but he concentrated on his mom, which was kind of sweet. Then we have the endless penis praising posts from My Eight Brothers. That's more accurately showing their true beliefs.  

• Upvote 6

I saw Adeline's and thought it was ridiculous.. Mariah seems to have deleted hers because I can't see it.

Adeline shared some crap about what she thinks a woman is, lowkey shading other women with different lifestyles. You know what Adeline? I spent international women's day marching to make abortion legal where I live, to me being a woman is supporting other women's rights and I bet a lot of women will agree with me. 

Take a damn seat and grow up little girl.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

I'm a proud feminist and I spent women's day cooking, cleaning and being hospitable to the company we were hosting that day. I even had an apron on while I was cooking. I don't see this behaviour as conflicting with my feminist beliefs. I suspect most women on FJ are similar - they do the job that needs to be done without much ado about labeling things "women's work" or "men's work". The sort of post Addie/Mariah posted on women's day reminds me that despite the changes in their clothes or the fact that say things like "sexy af"- these people are still the same old fundies. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I'm also a proud feminist and still I love days that are spend in my kitchen, listening to country music, baking or cooking up a storm. I totally have to agree with @browngrl that their changes only come to fashion and don't have anything to do with their beliefs. The only aspect of their lifestyle where I can see a slight shift is their approach towards relationships. I'm not sure about the Campanas, but at least the older Roberts kids seem to have ditched to courtship model. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, browngrl said:

I'm a proud feminist and I spent women's day cooking, cleaning and being hospitable to the company we were hosting that day. I even had an apron on while I was cooking. I don't see this behaviour as conflicting with my feminist beliefs. I suspect most women on FJ are similar - they do the job that needs to be done without much ado about labeling things "women's work" or "men's work". The sort of post Addie/Mariah posted on women's day reminds me that despite the changes in their clothes or the fact that say things like "sexy af"- these people are still the same old fundies. 

8 hours ago, ophelia said:

I'm also a proud feminist and still I love days that are spend in my kitchen, listening to country music, baking or cooking up a storm. I totally have to agree with @browngrl that their changes only come to fashion and don't have anything to do with their beliefs. The only aspect of their lifestyle where I can see a slight shift is their approach towards relationships. I'm not sure about the Campanas, but at least the older Roberts kids seem to have ditched to courtship model. 

Because feminism means believing in the social, political and economical equality of the sexes, that women (and men!) can be who they wanna be and that doesn't make you less of a female or a male. Feminism means fighting stereotypes and for the rights of people.

These families are still immerse in patriarchy so... 

FYI: I enjoy baking and makeup, I'm also a huge tomboy and I don't dream about getting married and having a billion kids.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

• 1 month later...

I'm looking forward to Martha's companion book. I genuinely found the first one fascinating, not the least of which was the blood-curdling description of Mama driving the kids around in a van that had unrestrained school chairs for them to sit in, and nothing else. The older Mortonkin know about FJ, so I don't doubt that Martha is aware of some of the comments. Hopefully, that won't temper her prose when composing Part 2. 

Frankly, I'm just glad that she's writing about her sisters at all. The first book barely mentioned them, even from Martha's own perspective and experience. I guess "Sisters Four" doesn't seem quite as shocking by the numbers, but those women had just as wild of an upbringing, only with more responsibility and less agency. Sort of the fundy version of "Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels".

In unrelated news, apparently Gabriella Campana learned how to use google recently. She's included a shout-out to the "snarkers" here. 

• Upvote 14

33 minutes ago, SolomonFundy said:

In unrelated news, apparently Gabriella Campana learned how to use google recently. She's included a shout-out to the "snarkers" here

What, is she upset that we aren't talking about her?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2018 at 2:51 PM, NachosFlandersStyle said:

What, is she upset that we aren't talking about her?

She's not as interesting as she seems to think she is.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...

Unrelated, has anyone figured out what this account is for? Is it John's joke account?

• I Agree 1

Adeline posted on her insta that she's in the waiting room "i'm one excited auntie, can't wait to hold you little man". I'm guessing it's Kennedy and she's having a boy.

Most definitely NOT Kennedy, Adeline just posted a story with Kennedy very pregnant waiting in the room. I have no idea who's giving birth.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic