IGNORED

Mortons: A new year of Marryin', Birthin', and Writin'

SolomonFundy

9 minutes ago, JMO said:

I get the impression that Papa Morton would not only care less if underage employment was illegal but that he wouldn't even stop if cited and would believe that it was an unjust, morally wrong and blatantly wrong law. I'msure he not only believes that he should be able to do what he wants with his kids but that he is raising them the only right way. Especially since its biblically centered and all. 

I agree, I think we see shades of that with the continued tickets for driving with improperly restrained children.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Does anyone know why some of them moved to Central America in the first place? Not a very cheap thing to do with a half a dozen kids.

14 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Does anyone know why some of them moved to Central America in the first place? Not a very cheap thing to do with a half a dozen kids.

I think the general consensus was that they were pursuing a free-from-govt-interference utopia. There are a couple of threads about the move when it happened but Paraguay seems to attract anti-govt, fundamentalist types from the US right now. 

If that's what they were going for, tho, it's a bit cringey in the face of what came to light with Alan right around the same time. I'm sure he'd have loved to be in a govt free utopia...

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

I think the general consensus was that they were pursuing a free-from-govt-interference utopia. There are a couple of threads about the move when it happened but Paraguay seems to attract anti-govt, fundamentalist types from the US right now. 

If that's what they were going for, tho, it's a bit cringey in the face of what came to light with Alan right around the same time. I'm sure he'd have loved to be in a govt free utopia...

I don't wanna be judgy but I live in Argentina right now, very close to Paraguay and some of my coworkers are Paraguayans.. The culture of those people is: they hate Argentina and the U.S. and any country with laws that won't let them do whatever the hell they want, mostly criminal stuff but also not educate themselves or have legit jobs. That might be the reason why fundies are attracted to that particular country.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 7

1 hour ago, picklepizzas said:

I have wondered at times how/how often they interact with locals.  It's pretty clear what the Mortonclan must think about people with more melanin in their skin, with their adamant support of all things Confederate and Trump.  I wonder if they just keep to themselves and other fundamentalist transplants in the area.  I guess the anti-gubmint sentiments must outweigh everything else.

• Upvote 8

@dramallama Addie had a post on the blog about their mother's nanny that remained in contact with them.  She was black and while Addie posted sweet sentiments about her, it reeked of vibes of patronizing "Mamie" to me.  I have a feeling that they pay lip service while not so secretly being racist. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

31 minutes ago, JMO said:

@dramallama Addie had a post on the blog about their mother's nanny that remained in contact with them.  She was black and while Addie posted sweet sentiments about her, it reeked of vibes of patronizing "Mamie" to me.  I have a feeling that they pay lip service while not so secretly being racist. 

Hope this isn't true. Kennedy has 2 black siblings.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

Good catch on the Sam and Alyssa living situation. I'm not sure if it's the same apartment, though. Sam had to install a kitchen in it right before Norah was born. Maybe the original kitchen was damaged? Or maybe Cleveland and Lise just hoofed it to the main house for meals?

I don't think it is the same apartment.  Cleve and Lise had a kitchen in theirs, that you can see here: http://mortonclanthree.blogspot.com/2012/02/newlyweds.html

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JMO said:

Addie had a post on the blog about their mother's nanny that remained in contact with them.  She was black and while Addie posted sweet sentiments about her, it reeked of vibes of patronizing "Mamie" to me.  I have a feeling that they pay lip service while not so secretly being racist. 

I remember that. It could have been excerpted verbatim from Gone With The Wind.

ETA: Fantastic summaries & commentary, especially @SolomonFundy. Thank you! :clap:

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, dramallama said:

I have wondered at times how/how often they interact with locals.  It's pretty clear what the Mortonclan must think about people with more melanin in their skin, with their adamant support of all things Confederate and Trump.  I wonder if they just keep to themselves and other fundamentalist transplants in the area.  I guess the anti-gubmint sentiments must outweigh everything else.

Some time back Addie posted a pic of her father preaching to a group of indigenous people. The area that they're in has a very unpleasant history of confrontation between evangelical missionaries and local indigenous groups:

https://www.survivalinternational.org/news/1416

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2016/jan/25/paraguay-ayoreo-people-chaco-fighting-back-land-sales

And @Tangy Bee I wouldn't get your hopes up about their racism or lack thereof. This family has a major Confederate fetish.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

20 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Some time back Addie posted a pic of her father preaching to a group of indigenous people. The area that they're in has a very unpleasant history of confrontation between evangelical missionaries and local indigenous groups:

https://www.survivalinternational.org/news/1416

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2016/jan/25/paraguay-ayoreo-people-chaco-fighting-back-land-sales

And @Tangy Bee I wouldn't get your hopes up about their racism or lack thereof. This family has a major Confederate fetish.

Oh, so it's a self-congratulatory "win brownie points with The Lard by converting the savages" thing.  Should have known.

• Upvote 2

The Mortons live in an absolute quagmire of contradictions about quite a few things. I share the opinions of others here who perceive the way that Adeline gushed about her parents' childhood black family friends as condescending. This is an excerpt from the original blog regarding her father's childhood:

...and he has told us how he would go see the Morton family's dear Millie and Junie, the precious elderly black couple who share cropped the farm with Grandfather, and who were always so kind to daddy and the other Morton kids and grandkids...sort of like an extra uncle and aunt...

And from the same post (June of 2007), this is what she had to say about her mother's:

...And at noon, they would all drive through the streets of Moultrie, and go home, where Netti B., our precious black "Great Aunt" you might say, had fixed a huge "Thanksgiving dinner" everyday for all the Store employees. Dear Netti B. who came to the Baell family {Grand mama's maiden name} when my Grandmama was 8 years old~she was a beautiful 16 year old girl, and she was hired to assist my great grandmother with the house hold chores~she was soon family, and was an older sister to my gradmama and Great Aunt Betty. She went on to be with the Lord a few years ago. But, goodness, she made the most amazing Southern food you ever put in your mouth....

I find it utterly bizarre that room was made in the brief biographical sketches of BOTH parents to rhapsody about these relationships when her parents' siblings' names aren't even mentioned. Assuming that these family connections were sincere and genuinely reciprocated, it still strikes me as tasteless to mention that they were black at all. Why on earth is that important in this context? If the family relationships with Netti, MIllie, and Junie were as close as true kin, that's a beautiful thing. But advertising that they were black, while also mentioning that they were ALL former family servants/land workers, smacks of "I can't be racist, because I have a black friend!!!!" 

The Campanas are of Italian descent, Kennedy has black siblings, and the Smiths have a number of adopted children from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. These people are the Mortons' friends and family, and they genuinely seem to love and accept them. Yet they proudly affiliate themselves with Confederate sympathizers, and use extremely belittling language to describe people of color. 

Olympic-level mental gymnastics.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

On 1/7/2018 at 8:33 PM, Tangy Bee said:

Just for clarity's sake, Paraguay is in South America, not Central America.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

9 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Having black kin is hardly a barrier to racist thoughts and behaviors. 

And I suspect they are kin in an icky proprietal sense. Like I doubt they count the Mortons as family and I doubt the Mortons consider their “sweet” black kin’s partners and children to be family. I doubt they’ve even met them.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I wonder what will happen when adopted Smith children want to get married.  I imagine that Alan's crime would make finding them spouses difficult, bu I do wonder if the Mortons would be as keen to marry their young sons off to the remaining Smith daughters, as they were to the white ones.

My heart hearts a lot for Madara and Sitara (apologies if I have their names wrong).   I can't imagine what their upbringing was like anyway, but I would bet Captain Bret and Jacqueline are doing everything they can to stop the younger ones following their disgraceful older siblings' examples.  In any other family, that would mean trying to work out what went wrong with Alan, but I have a horrible suspicion the younger kids are being brainwashed so they don't turn out like the older Smith daughters.  

And I know I keep saying it, but wow, it's so awful that the younger daughters' choices are living in isolation under the thumbs of their parents, or marrying whoever their father tells them to.  The Mortons, and the pre-crime Smiths did at least seem to be social types - is there any indication on the Smith parent pages if they still are?   In general, how are families treated in Fundy-land when there's an abhorrent crime?   Tabitha Paine was married off to a convicted rapist, and the Duggars seem not to have suffered, socially, but is this a step too far, in general?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

From the debates we saw on facebook I'd say that there a still quite a few people that are close to Bret and Jackie and defend them and Alan. For them, everything is fine as long as Jeeeebus forgives you. Most of them seem to be family though and don't live close to them, so it is hard to tell how many folks are left to socialize with AND if they have kids in the same age as the remaining Smith children. I feel very sorry for those kiddos and I'm pretty sure that they won't ever marry off their daughters. They'll need them to take of the house and later on to support them when they are older.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I have always assumed that Sam and Alyssa moved into Kress and Michael's apartment after they finished their house. Michael and Kressant's place was dated so I'm guessing they've done upgrades.

ETA: I can't find Mariah's post?

Edited by lexiloumarie
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

I have always assumed that Sam and Alyssa moved into Kress and Michael's apartment after they finished their house. Michael and Kressant's place was dated so I'm guessing they've done upgrades.

ETA: I can't find Mariah's post?

I thought this too. IIRC, they built the top barn apartments for Micheal Jr and Cleveland. When Mike and Kressent moved in, they had no electricity and it was quite unfinished. Then Wesley unexpectedly married before Cleveland and didn't want to take Cleveland's apartment so he started building his own house. Wesley and Rachel lived in it while they were still building it. Then Cleveland eventually married and moved into the second apartment. Then Mike and Kressent built their house and eventually moved out of the first apartment. Andrew (Tom) was given a house by a neighbor that was moved to the property. And Sam and Alyssa moved into Micheal and Kressent's old apartment. So my question is who lives in Wesley and Micheal's houses now? 

I've decided that John is the Lawson of the Morton fundies. He posted an IG story of him flexing his guns. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JustAnotherMaiden said:

So my question is who lives in Wesley and Micheal's houses now? 

Katie and her kids?

6 hours ago, JMO said:

I've decided that John is the Lawson of the Morton fundies. He posted an IG story of him flexing his guns. 

Thought the exact same thing.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, JMO said:

Like his muscles-guns or his actual literal guns? Because Lawson flaunts them both constantly.

• Upvote 3

@nickelodeon his biceps.  I realized after I posted that with the Mortons real guns actually makes even more sense.  I don't know if his IG is private otherwise I'd post it.  

The unmarried Mortons and the unmarried Campanas are on a ski trip. I would be shocked if one of the Morton boys didn't marry one of the Campana girls. We've discussed this before but with the amount of time they spend together I can't imagine that it won't happen. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, JMO said:

The unmarried Mortons and the unmarried Campanas are on a ski trip. I would be shocked if one of the Morton boys didn't marry one of the Campana girls. We've discussed this before but with the amount of time they spend together I can't imagine that it won't happen. 

Sam married Alyssa Campana, i guess there might be another union in the works.

• Upvote 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic