IGNORED

Tori Bates - Part 4: Pretty Dresses Hiding Ugly Ideologies

samurai_sarah

Other nicknames that would make more sense: Bob, Rob, Robby, Bo, Bert, Bertie, Ellis, El, and last but not least, Bori. 

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Other nicknames that would make more sense: Bob, Rob, Robby, Bo, Bert, Bertie, Ellis, El, and last but not least, Bori. 

I saw someone on the BUB Facebook page suggest Eli. It's cute, it actually works with his name and it's a biblical name too! Missed opportunity if you ask me. 

2 minutes ago, stardust said:

I saw someone on the BUB Facebook page suggest Eli. It's cute, it actually works with his name and it's a biblical name too! Missed opportunity if you ask me. 

True! And it hasn’t been used in her family yet. 

I totally understand nicknames that have nothing to with their actual name. But they usually form naturally. Like a kid getting the nickname “Red” because he has red hair or “Spike” because his hair is constantly spiked up and won’t lay down. 

But to just randomly call him a different name because you like it better just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Carson actually made a lot more sense to me. 

1 hour ago, stardust said:

Caron's actual first name is Charles though, not Chad. Agree about Cade for Robert. 

Oh yeah that’s what I meant. It’s a stretch for Charles.

28 minutes ago, keen23 said:

A friend of mine recently had a Thurston Howell The IV type baby, and they call him Iver, as a nickname. It's cute. 

That is so stinkin cute.

I have to laugh a little at who they sat down to talk to. Entertainment tonight really. Not People, not us. not even OK which Alyssa has used before nope entertainment tonight. :laughing-rollingyellow:

Their picture with the blue cupcakes is so blah. It’s almost as bad as Jill and Cowboy Derick’s announcement holding up a size 2T boy outfit in their kitchen. 

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Their picture with the blue cupcakes is so blah. It’s almost as bad as Jill and Cowboy Derick’s announcement holding up a size 2T boy outfit in their kitchen. 

Tori does not like being the center of attention you could tell she didn't enjoy her bridal shower so I'm sure she was like well we have to do this for the show so what's the easiest way to do it. Cupcakes and frosting. at least cupcakes make sense that outfit was just all out weird. 

9 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Tori does not like being the center of attention you could tell she didn't enjoy her bridal shower so I'm sure she was like well we have to do this for the show so what's the easiest way to do it. Cupcakes and frosting. at least cupcakes make sense that outfit was just all out weird. 

If she hates it so much, she should not do the interview at all. No one is forcing her. She doesn’t live with her parents any longer. 

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If she hates it so much, she should not do the interview at all. No one is forcing her. She doesn’t live with her parents any longer. 

forcing may be a strong word no, no one can force her but choosing  not to be on the show can also cause a huge rift between her and her family. I can see her still sharing the big moments to keep family piece but I bet that now that they are moved farther from the hometead we won't see them on the show as much. they will pop in every so often with life events like B and M or A and J. 

56 minutes ago, keen23 said:

A friend of mine recently had a Thurston Howell The IV type baby, and they call him Iver, as a nickname. It's cute. 

Tori could even go with Ivy (IV=Ivy). But I bet they would think that’s too feminine. Can’t mess with those strict gender roles. 

1 minute ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

forcing may be a strong word no, no one can force her but choosing  not to be on the show can also cause a huge rift between her and her family. I can see her still sharing the big moments to keep family piece but I bet that now that they are moved farther from the hometead we won't see them on the show as much. they will pop in every so often with life events like B and M or A and J. 

She didn’t have to go on ET in order to keep the peace in her family. She could have just announced on Instagram with a picture of just the blue cupcakes. No interview necessary. 

51 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh my goodness I had blocked that memory out! Those cupcakes look way better in comparison to the toddler outfit reveal. Lol!

5 minutes ago, melon said:

Someone on FB said that it's a Latin or Gaelic version of "Quade"..for the fourth or four.

I was looking up the meaning of Cade and this part really stuck out to me and almost made me fall over laughing. 

It might also be from the Late Middle English cade (a young animal abandoned by its mother and raised by hand).

I know a guys who’s the 4th.  The 1st (great grandfather) was the original name, 2nd (grandfather) was Sonny, 3rd (father) is Troy and my friend goes by his middle name. However, he and his wife are hoping to have a boy, who they have considered nicknaming Quintin for 5th. 

I’m guessing Cade is some sort of variation of 4th. 

My first thought when I read that they are naming their kid Cade is that an old Star Wars legends character is named Cade. In Legends, Cade is the grandson of Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker. His mother left him when he was a kid and was raised by his father's apprentice. 

1 minute ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

My first thought when I read that they are naming their kid Cade is that an old Star Wars legends character is named Cade. In Legends, Cade is the grandson of Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker. His mother left him when he was a kid and was raised by his father's apprentice. 

well I guess that fits the meaning of the name. LOL 

On the live Callie says they are calling him Cade because it means the fourth generation. so who ever said that was right. 

I mean, I'm sure they have sources, but the Latin for four is quattuor, or quartus.  So I'm not really sure where Cade comes from that?

Pressure is a thing. You can say a thousand times "Oh you don't have to get me something. I really don't need anymore stuff." And yet, you're still sitting there with a present that's full of stuff you didn't want and you have to grin it and bear it. Families, so well meaning, but they just don't listen! 

1 hour ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I mean, I'm sure they have sources, but the Latin for four is quattuor, or quartus.  So I'm not really sure where Cade comes from that?

It’s called reaching. Like the Stretch Armstrong of reaching (only 80s kids will get this reference). 

Of course some of the Bates kids are not called by their given first names [Lawson, Nathan - and Michael(l)(a) is another story].  Plus with Chad and Carson for Charles - it's probably just a tradition.  I actually kind of like Cade as a nickname - it's not like their kids have to really worry as much about their given/legal names because it's not like they'll be registering at public school or in many cases working in a regular job where there might be confusion.  It's a lot better than some of these fundie third generation names.

I don’t see any reason a nickname has to be related to the actual name but in most cases nicknames form over time or people use pet names. I see that a lot with my German and British relatives and friends. It is a wonder my nephew knows his actual name because we all still call him with his pet name most of the time (little one is six!).

13 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Quadrangle = Quad = Quade = Cade

Ok, so I guess it makes a bit more sense.

3 hours ago, freethemall said:

Quadrangle = Quad = Quade = Cade

Ok, so I guess it makes a bit more sense.

Yes, but does it make sense that they'd know a non-English word other than maybe "Adios"?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived