IGNORED

Tori Bates - Part 4: Pretty Dresses Hiding Ugly Ideologies

samurai_sarah

9 hours ago, freethemall said:

Quadrangle = Quad = Quade = Cade

Ok, so I guess it makes a bit more sense.

I know the Bates babies won’t ever really interact with many people outside their inner circle but Cade for Quadrangle is still such a stretch to me. Imagine the conversation where somebody asks where Cade came from.

Person: “So why do you go by Cade if your name is Robert?”

Cade: “Oh well it’s very simple you see. It’s all about Latin. Quadrangle = Quad = Quade, Q-U-A-D-E, which is sort of like Cade, ya know?”

Person: “Umm...sure...”

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad is a jr but everyone calls him a completely different name. I’ve known several IIIs nicknamed Trey, but Cade is pretty random. 

Aaaargh, I know this was discussed in the babies thread over in snark, but how on earth is Cade supposed to come from the latin?

As said upthread, in Latin, four is quattuor, and fourth is quartus.  Not only do they start with a KW sound, not a C, they also are nowhere near the -ade sound.  It's just bullshit!  It would be less of a reach to nickname him Artie, because at least the art sound is in quartus!

(Someone suggested it comes from Gaelic, and nope - fourth in Gaelic: an ceathramh, and four = ceithir, per a quick google)

(One of my pet peeves is people making huge reaches to try to find "meaning" in modern trendy names.  Why can't people just say they like it, rather than trying to make something like Cade, Braydon, McKynzie, etc traditional or deep?)

12 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

My dad is a jr but everyone calls him a completely different name. I’ve known several IIIs nicknamed Trey, but Cade is pretty random. 

Trey really does come from the Latin for 3 (tres) though - that's a pretty and established old one. 

Cade, though, does not have that lineage. Digging through, it seems to come from an Old English word meaning "round" or "barrel" or "cask", and was often used to refer to pets. Nothing to do with four.

@Lurky I completely agree with you - names having meaning as they are, don't make meanings up! If you don't like the meaning of a name you like the sound of, tough titties. Either live with it or find a name whose meaning you do like. The Bateses are particularly guilty of this (Ellie Bridget does NOT mean "strong light", Addallee does not mean "the lord is my strength and refuge" and so on).

6 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Addallee does not mean "the lord is my strength and refuge"

Lol do they really say that? Where did that come from?

4 hours ago, meee said:

Lol do they really say that? Where did that come from?

Yes, they say that and I have no idea. It's so weird. 

On 6/23/2018 at 11:48 PM, anjulibai said:

Trey really does come from the Latin for 3 (tres) though - that's a pretty and established old one. 

Cade, though, does not have that lineage. Digging through, it seems to come from an Old English word meaning "round" or "barrel" or "cask", and was often used to refer to pets. Nothing to do with four.

@Lurky I completely agree with you - names having meaning as they are, don't make meanings up! If you don't like the meaning of a name you like the sound of, tough titties. Either live with it or find a name whose meaning you do like. The Bateses are particularly guilty of this (Ellie Bridget does NOT mean "strong light", Addallee does not mean "the lord is my strength and refuge" and so on).

Yeah, I thought that was obvious. Trey makes sense because trey is a play on three. Cade has no connection to four. 

On 6/19/2018 at 8:26 PM, victoriasponge said:

Plus if I'm already going to your hen, which will inevitably involve clubbing which I'm not a fan of, you're not then also getting me to a bridal shower to do further hilarious games involving gigantic penises. If you're getting married, I congratulate you and buy you a present if I'm close enough to those involved, same with housewarmings and babies - if there's a chance for me to meet up with Mum before baby comes to just have a nice chat and maybe a meal, great, and then a chance to meet the baby after they're born, great.

Please come to my hen party! There will be no clubbing, and no alcohol (anyone who drinks will be disinvited to the wedding), and we are going to an escape game, the spa, a cat cafe and a bouncy castle. 

(My gender reveal party will be a green cake with the text “gender is stupid, our little one will tell us their gender when they are ready, now leave” and then I’ll proceed to eat all the cake. 

@SorenaJ am literally so down for that, I’ve never done an escape room or a cat cafe :dance: I’m taking notes for party ideas. 

On 6/21/2018 at 2:26 PM, neurogirl said:

The thing I don't understand about Cade is...why not use it for a later kid? Chances are they will have many more kids, and then the second-boy can get the name mom loves. Idk I think it's trying to combine too many name desires. 

*Whispers* Like Henry Seewald

I've found Kade/Cade on a few sites touting it as a IV nickname .... can't find a reason that actually makes sense but, they probably just found it online and liked it.

IMG_4716.PNG

Tori looks adorable pregnant.  In this picture she's glowing. But then again its black and white...and oh yes, sorry about the cult. 

@Daisy0322 That is just flat-out making up bullshit!  Not you, of course, but who ever wrote that.  "Latin or Gaelic" is making me laugh out loud, because those languages are nothing alike, but whoever wrote that can't even be bothered to pick one?  There is no connection to Cade and 4th in either of them!

Here is her explanation given when someone in the comments asked for her references on "Kade" for fourth generation. One site says "Quade" is Celtic and the other says it is Latin. 

Screenshot 2018-06-26 15.59.34.png

@hrm1216 Those links she's provided are to other total fabrications too, though.  If the Latin for four is quattour and for fourth is quartus, with a KW sound, how do you get Cade from it?  And how on earth does it come from the Gaelic?  As above, four in irish Gaelic is ceithre and fourth is 'an ceathrú' - and in Scots Gaelic it's ceithir and 'an ceathramh' - those are not near Cade, unless having 2 letters in common is now a derivation!

Ok, I'll stop now, but aaaaarggghhhh  Bateses, your SOTDRT is showing!

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

@hrm1216 Those links she's provided are to other total fabrications too, though.  If the Latin for four is quattour and for fourth is quartus, with a KW sound, how do you get Cade from it?  And how on earth does it come from the Gaelic?  As above, four in irish Gaelic is ceithre and fourth is 'an ceathrú' - and in Scots Gaelic it's ceithir and 'an ceathramh' - those are not near Cade, unless having 2 letters in common is now a derivation!

Ok, I'll stop now, but aaaaarggghhhh  Bateses, your SOTDRT is showing!

Totally agree, I just wanted to post her response to someone who was asking the same questions we were. 

About a year ago I saw someone post on a baby names forum asking if people would get that their intended baby name, Quade, was supposed to be pronounced "Cade" (phonetics be damned!), so I think this name has been floating around for a bit.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:19 PM, VBOY9977 said:

Tori and Trace. I think this is the first glimpse of the bump we’ve gotten

1818A8B0-C287-4D42-9918-DCAA3C373007.png

She looks so much like Michael in that picture. 

On 6/26/2018 at 8:16 AM, Daisy0322 said:

I've found Kade/Cade on a few sites touting it as a IV nickname .... can't find a reason that actually makes sense but, they probably just found it online and liked it.

IMG_4716.PNG

One my my close friends is "John...the V" in his line. He goes by his first name, his father goes by his initials, and his grandfather was Trey. He often jokes about having a son and calling him "Sextus." In reality, he'd probably use Jack as a nickname for John because he presumably wouldn't hate his son. 

Yeah, I think Cade is a bit of a ridiculous stretch. They could've at least gone with Quade, a lot of people recognize "qua-" type things as "4"....and I've see "Quaid" as a name in the south before so not too strange there. If I were having a Robert IV as my kid, I personally would pick "Riv" as a nickname! haha

36 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Yeah, I think Cade is a bit of a ridiculous stretch. They could've at least gone with Quade, a lot of people recognize "qua-" type things as "4"....and I've see "Quaid" as a name in the south before so not too strange there. If I were having a Robert IV as my kid, I personally would pick "Riv" as a nickname! haha

I would pick Rick or Rob. The thing is there is actually a lot of cute nicknames they could choose from that are at least related to the name. But maybe they loved Cade so much.

Granted, the idea of having the exact same name repeat in generations has always irrationally annoyed me in the first place but just name your damn baby Cade if you like the name. It's not a nickname for Robert. Nor is Carson for Charles (or Chad for that matter) Be creative, stop using the EXACT same name over and over. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Granted, the idea of having the exact same name repeat in generations has always irrationally annoyed me in the first place

Does the name numbering actually happen anywhere outside of the US, and royalty, do people know? 

Here in the UK, I know a couple of people with "family" names, but I've never seen the "2nd" or "junior" thing, and it tends to be done with different second or first names (and really interesting stuff about how eg if the family name is Charles, why the first child can't be Charlotte.....) and seems to be equally female and male.  I'm guessing it might be seen as declassé here, as real aristocrats would get snotty about "what, you're only the 14th?" type thing, but I do wonder why it's done. 

It always seems uniquely American, and I always wonder why is it only men?  Because women get married and so aren't expected to keep their surnames?  I've never heard of a woman being eg Tori Bates II - outside of the Gilmore Girls, I guess.  And how does it work if a second son had his son first in a family with John Smith as the name?  If John Joseph Smith II's second son Bob had the first son of the next generation and called him John Joseph Smith IV, would that cause ructions?   Would John Joseph Smith III also called his first son John Joseph Smith IV, and decide his brother's son doesn't count?

It seems so random to me, when everyone's birth lines stretch back so far, why people suddenly decide to start a tradition out of nowhere like this - but it also seems like one of those cultural traditions I'll never really understand.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived