IGNORED

Dillards 45: The Grift Goes On

Coconut Flan

17 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I’m on team nose stud. Despite being absolutely horrified of needles, I have gotten my nose pierced (twice), a more obscure ear piercing, and a tattoo. 

Funny how people talk themselves down from the pain for a personal gain, but won’t get their cholesterol checked (this includes me :2wankers: )

Reward yourself for getting your cholesterol checked with a new piercing/tattoo?

There's a new business venture idea, blood draws in tattoo shops. They're sterile and you're dealing with needles anyway. Why not get your blood drawn while your distracted? Lol

8 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

Jill's always kind of aspired to that flat-earthy, bohemian, long-skirt-and-bare-feet image, so it doesn't surprise me she's done it. It doesn't signal an iota of change to her principles.

Bolding my addition :pb_lol: (no evidence they're flat-earthers, but it wouldn't surprise me).

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole thing strikes me as sad, because if Jill could just get off her BEST KIND OF CHRISTIANITY high horse for a moment, she would realize she probably has a lot in with these women.  They both come from cultures that emphasize a modest, flowy dress style, so they could share clothing tips (and honestly, if you REALLY want cute and comfy maxi skirts, Muslim clothing retailers nail it.  I bought an obscene amount of clothing from a Muslim retailer one year, and I have never loved clothing as much as I did those, nor have I ever received so many compliments!).  They both come from cultures that tend to emphasize marrying young.  And it appears from the photo that these women may even have kids similar in age to Izzy.  

This would be a great opportunity for Jill to form lasting relationships outside her family, broaden her horizons, and realize HOW MUCH SHE HAS IN COMMON with people from other religions/countries.  Heck, if she could table her internalized racism for a hot second, she could LEARN a great deal from women who are going to college while still nurturing a marriage and a family.  

But she probably doesn't see these women as having a lot in common with her or as people she could learn from.  She probably sees them as "lost souls" who are "oppressed" and need her superior GUIDANCE to save them.  In actuality, I would say that they are killing it FAR more than Jill is, but she's white and Christian and they are brown and Muslim, so I doubt Jill has ever even CONSIDERED the possibility that they might be doing better than she is.    

@Georgiana can I ask you where did you find the Muslim reteller? online? I like skirts but don't find anything that works for me in many shops around my city.

I agree with your general point and is sad that Jill didn't see it, she could have female friends outside the family and with similar values, it could be great for Izzy and later Sam too but as usual, their way is the BEST 

3 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

@Georgiana can I ask you where did you find the Muslim reteller? online? I like skirts but don't find anything that works for me in many shops around my city.

I agree with your general point and is sad that Jill didn't see it, she could have female friends outside the family and with similar values, it could be great for Izzy and later Sam too but as usual, their way is the BEST 

Yep!  Online!  

I have to admit that I was recovering from outpatient surgery and was under the influence of "the good stuff" as my doctor put it (so I did not do extensive research beforehand), but I did a google search for "Muslim Clothing" and found this place:

https://www.artizara.com/

They are also carried on Amazon now:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=artizara&tag=hydusmmsn-20&index=aps&hvadid=12063805886&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7vsi1zjfj_e

I have no idea if they are the best, especially for the price which is a bit more than I usually spend for clothes, but I wore their stuff until the material just plain wore thru.  It was a sad day when I had to retire those items.  I also have no idea why I went with them over other retailers as my memory of the incident is a bit...not there.  I totally thought I dreamed ordering the clothes until they showed up at my door, but it was the best compromised decision I ever made!

This is her most recent Instagram post. 99.99999% sure it’s a nose stud.

6685C6C0-D22E-4B31-BA13-8A598DD04499.jpeg

All of the fundie/conservative Christian websites I’ve looked at so far do not explicitly forbid nose piercings, but if her parents disapprove or she got it to appeal to college students (appeal to the world/look attractive), then they consider it to be sinful.

The Dillards' social media activity continues to be so strange. This cutesy "loving motherhood SO much and I'm so busy and make silly relatable mistakes but it's wonderful such a BLESSING" type post is straight out of Jessa's playbook. Totally a distraction from D-Wreck's antics.

I love the nose piercing. I've always thought they could be beautiful and elegant if done tastefully. I'd love some kind of honest explanation from Jill though.........as if we weren't all still waiting for an explanation for Derick's obsession with Jazz, Samuel's mysterious birth, no return to Sintral Amurrrrrrica, why Derick can't get a job and support his family like the rest of us, etc... :pb_rollseyes:

Jill's eyes always seem so sad. :pb_neutral:

Yeah in that pic it definitely looks like a piercing. The girls have pierced ears, nose isn't too far a jump. Not an eyebrow or tongue. I could see Jinger rocking an upper ear cartilage piercing though!

Never thought I'd see sweet little Jilly Muffin with a nose stud and wearing jeans.

Can I just say how adorable Samuel's facial expression is in that Insta photo!

I think it's a nose ring.  But what I don't get is that she wants to be part of Instagram when she won't be featured as much (or not at all) on the show.  I mean do humper really care about her now?

I really feel like Jill is having a significant shift in perspective the more these changes happen. But I know that's also me being extra generous in my read -- still! I'm surprised!

It is definitely a piercing, but the question is did she get it because she wanted to or did she get it to appear more worldly in an attempt to balance out her husband's shit?

Why are some of you referring to the alleged nose object as a ring? Zit or piercing, it's definitely not a ring.

If I went through the trouble to get a nose piercing, I wouldn't want it confused with an inflamed zit! I also wouldn't post about my complexion difficulties. But I would post about getting a nose piercing, especially if I was trying to look hip.

So, I remain on Team Blemish.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I also wonder if the Muslim women are hoping to convert Jill and Derick to Islam, or if that possibility would even cross Jill and Derick's minds.

They wouldn't be trying to convert Derick if they happened to read his twitter. They'd be thankful that Christianity has him. 

If it is a piercing it suits her. I mean they pierce their ears, why not pierce other (non-sexual) parts of their bodies?

Also Samuel's expressions always give me a chuckle.

I don't think a nose piercing requires much of an explanation. They all have pierced ears, a small nose stud isn't that big of a leap. Maybe if they were all still wearing frumpers it would be, but they've been slowly but surely loosening up on their strict modesty standards for the past decade, so nose piercings and jeans seem pretty par for the course these days.

On 11/20/2017 at 1:02 PM, crazysnark said:

I think the reason they do home births is so they can avoid male doctors seeing/touching private areas. The only reason Anna decided to give birth at home last minute with Mack is because Dr. Sarver was on vacation. 

Didn't Michelle have a male doctor at some point? I feel like I remember that being a thing. Maybe I'm thinking of Erin Paine...but I could have sworn Michelle had one. Maybe when Josie was born?

57 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Why are some of you referring to the alleged nose object as a ring? Zit or piercing, it's definitely not a ring.

If I went through the trouble to get a nose piercing, I wouldn't want it confused with an inflamed zit! I also wouldn't post about my complexion difficulties. But I would post about getting a nose piercing, especially if I was trying to look hip.

So, I remain on Team Blemish.

I got my nose pierced last month, and I was told to leave the original pin in for at least four weeks.  So Jill's piercing (if she has one), might be recent enough that she can't change it yet.

I would say based on this most recent pic it is most likely a nose piercing, especially the way the light reflects off the area.  If it is indeed a piercing, it actually looks nice on her, and it is quite discreet for a nose piercing.

55 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I don't think a nose piercing requires much of an explanation. They all have pierced ears, a small nose stud isn't that big of a leap. Maybe if they were all still wearing frumpers it would be, but they've been slowly but surely loosening up on their strict modesty standards for the past decade, so nose piercings and jeans seem pretty par for the course these days.

I’m thinking she saw Jinger’s fashion choices, realized that God had not smote her or her husband and figured, “Why not?  I’ll try out jeans.”  And I must say that I’ve noticed of all the Duggar sons-in-law, only one of them (Austin) does not wear a beard or some sort of facial hair, and I think I do remember hearing or reading somewhere that all the Duggar men had to be clean-shaven with short hair (although I think Derick and Ben were both clean-shaven while courting Jill and Jessa, respectively).  I was just wondering if that was a bit of a pattern or something?

It does look more like a stud in that photo. Must remain ~hip~ while your husband works around college students.

Maybe those college students they minister to convinced her or she wanted to be young and cool to them... Or maybe they were trying to convert a piercer/tattoo artist ...

I’m surprised nobody has picked up on the fact that nostril studs are a HUGE thing in (parts of?) India. Many Indian women I see have this same piercing. 

As for Derick as her headship, perhaps it was HIS idea, to try to make them more relevant to brown people? :confused2:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived